Thomas is d.o.n.e.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
ReggieMoto

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Q: Is Visnovsky situation on the Isle/KHL similar to TT situation and ok?
It's not the same. Vis never wanted to play in NY and made every attempt to keep it from happening. TT not only made Boston his home but he brought the cup to Boston, wanted to remain in Boston, and is despised by too many fans for it.

Two very different situations.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:47 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
given all the stuff we've read about him, i'd also gather that thomas is pretty keen on playing in the olympics in 2014. imagine this guy taking a full year off, coming back, dominating, and then leading the USA to a gold medal after wrestling the starting job away from quick, miller or schneider? that'd be an even more ridiculous ending to his disney movie-like career.
He`s mentioned the 2014 Olympics as a goal but there will be more than a few goalies who`ll have a say in that I believe

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
It's not the same. Vis never wanted to play in NY and made every attempt to keep it from happening. TT not only made Boston his home but he brought the cup to Boston, wanted to remain in Boston, and is despised by too many fans for it.

That's absolute crap.

They're the same thing. They both have contracts that they're not going to honor. Thomas wants to stay in Boston and play but he's despised by too many fans? Give me a break. The guy was adored in this town. I hope if I'm ever despised by millions of people it's the way Thomas was despised. Sounds pretty awesome.

Hey, who are you to judge Visnovsky anyway? Maybe he has some deep dark personal reasons for why he wants to stay in Russia? You shouldn't judge someone for their personal decision.

Boston BROin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:55 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
That's absolute crap.

They're the same thing. They both have contracts that they're not going to honor. Thomas wants to stay in Boston and play but he's despised by too many fans? Give me a break. The guy was adored in this town. I hope if I'm ever despised by millions of people it's the way Thomas was despised. Sounds pretty awesome.

Hey, who are you to judge Visnovsky anyway? Maybe he has some deep dark personal reasons for why he wants to stay in Russia? You shouldn't judge someone for their personal decision.
Visnovsky is avoiding playing for the Islanders, Thomas is avoiding getting shipped out of Boston to god knows where.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Visnovsky is avoiding playing for the Islanders, Thomas is avoiding getting shipped out of Boston to god knows where.
Visnovsky was traded on the final year of his front loaded contract to a team he didn't want to be traded to. He's taken his ball and gone home.

Thomas would have been traded on the final year of his front loaded contract to a team he possibly didn't want to be traded to. He's taken his ball and gone home.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

It's funny how people here are upset about Thomas' decision and are calling him out for not honoring his contract, yet a lot of the same people had no problem when the Swedish Mystery Man, Carl Soderberg (yes, I did really go there ), welched out on his contract. Instead, we got 54 threads of how he was honorable because he wanted to stay home and play for his home town team and how that was cool, yet a guy who actually delivered a Stanley Cup win is a POS. Incredible. Love HF, it's so logical and rational.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:40 AM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
That's absolute crap.

When conservatively half the fans in town want to trade you after winning a Vezina, and then they want to trade you after an injury, and then they want to trade you after a second Vezina and a cup.... I don't think that can be described as adored.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:56 AM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
yes we do
ah, nevermind, I saw that the compliance buyouts are a separate thing and only start next year anyway. Well in any case THANKS FOR THE INFO AND ESPECIALLY FOR YOUR CONTINUED CONDESCENTION

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:59 AM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Other athletes have committed murder, ****, domestic violence, animal cruelty, and are still embraced by fans. What was Tim Thomas's unforgivable sin? Having a different political opinion and choosing family over money.

You know why Visnovsky's situation is different (as if I should even indulge this)? He's walking out on a $3 million dollar contract to make $7 million in Russia. Tim Thomas is staying home and not getting paid anything, not demanding a new contract or extension, not demanding a trade or anything else.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:04 AM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
Other athletes have committed murder, ****, domestic violence, animal cruelty, and are still embraced by fans. What was Tim Thomas's unforgivable sin? Having a different political opinion and choosing family over money.

You know why Visnovsky's situation is different (as if I should even indulge this)? He's walking out on a $3 million dollar contract to make $7 million in Russia. Tim Thomas is staying home and not getting paid anything, not demanding a new contract or extension, not demanding a trade or anything else.
stop being so reasonable.

man, until reading this thread I had forgotten how much I hate this board when there's actual hockey to be played.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:07 AM
ranold26
Petarry Chiarinden

Quote:

I agree with this. Regardless of how TT's career ended, it doesn't mitigate what he accomplished. I liken it to a good/bad breakup, it doesn't reflect on whether you loved that person etc.
As for other atheletes, I don't get the Ray Lewis love/ballwashfest by the media and fans. The guy is a scum bucket.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:07 AM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
It's funny how people here are upset about Thomas' decision and are calling him out for not honoring his contract, yet a lot of the same people had no problem when the Swedish Mystery Man, Carl Soderberg (yes, I did really go there ), welched out on his contract. Instead, we got 54 threads of how he was honorable because he wanted to stay home and play for his home town team and how that was cool, yet a guy who actually delivered a Stanley Cup win is a POS. Incredible. Love HF, it's so logical and rational.
Again, I, along with the majority in this thread who have an issue with Thomas decision, am simply concerned with the cap implications.
Soderberg's decision to play in Sweden has no impact on our cap whatsoever.

Tim Thomas was a great goaltender, and I really don't care what sort of personal decisions the guy makes. Fact is, his decision is costing the Bruins 5 million in cap space this year. That's pretty much the only issue I have with it.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
I agree with this. Regardless of how TT's career ended, it doesn't mitigate what he accomplished. I liken it to a good/bad breakup, it doesn't reflect on whether you loved that person etc.
As for other atheletes, I don't get the Ray Lewis love/ballwashfest by the media and fans. The guy is a scum bucket.
Exactly... but it does affect how you feel about that person going forward.

To be fair though, I'm not a fan of players who are murderers, rapists, or mob bosses either.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:10 AM
cneely

Quote:

Again, I haven't seen too many vilify him. Certainly no more than say a guy like Michael Vick.

Most who have issues in this thread have a issues with the cap implications. That is all. Period.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
[/B]

Agree 100% with you & dafoomie regarding Tim Thomas.

You don't know how happy I am to find someone else who thinks the same way about Lewis. I thought I was the only one.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post

1) Is that conjecture?

2) Not sure that's an accurate word.

Regardless, my understanding was that the only communication from TT was that he needed time off to spend with family and friends -- and that he made no mention of whether he wanted to be in Boston once (if) he returns from that time off.

Regardless of the motivation, Visnovsky also wants to be in a better situation for him -- one that he says is better for his family.

How are the two different?

Two guys don't want to be in their current situation anymore (regardless of reason) and are choosing not to play or get paid. Seems exactly the same to me.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Visnovsky was traded on the final year of his front loaded contract to a team he didn't want to be traded to. He's taken his ball and gone home.

Thomas would have been traded on the final year of his front loaded contract to a team he possibly didn't want to be traded to. He's taken his ball and gone home.
Not sure it could be stated better or clearer.

I love what TT did for Boston. However, it is hard to come to any conclusion other than exactly what you've posted here!

That doesn't make TT a bad guy, nor does it negate what he did for the Bruins and accomplished with the Bruins.

That said, I chuckle over any attempts to present the situation in any different light that what Kaoz has done above.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Not sure it could be stated better or clearer.

I love what TT did for Boston. However, it is hard to come to any conclusion other than exactly what you've posted here!

That doesn't make TT a bad guy, nor does it negate what he did for the Bruins and accomplished with the Bruins.

That said, I chuckle over any attempts to present the situation in any different light that what Kaoz has done above.
Right. Because Kaoz's words in Timmy's mouth are always going to be more accurate than what Thomas has actually stated with his own.

It's only difficult to come to any other conclusion, if you place your own agenda in highest priority.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Again, I haven't seen too many vilify him. Certainly no more than say a guy like Michael Vick.

Most who have issues in this thread have a issues with the cap implications. That is all. Period.
Cap situation is better this way vs a retirement as they can still move his contract.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Right. Because Kaoz's words in Timmy's mouth are always going to be more accurate than what Thomas has actually stated with his own.

It's only difficult to come to any other conclusion, if you place your own agenda in highest priority.
To be clear, that post was going on the assumption that Visnovsky and Thomas' situation were different because Visnovksy "didn't want to play for the Isles". If we're guessing about Visnovsky based on logical deduction then we may as well do the same with Thomas, no?

Based on their own words, the situations aren't all that different at all. Visnovsky's choice is due to family just as Thomas' was. You can guess at a myriad of other things, but if we take the mans words at face value then his and Thomas's reasoning for ditching on their current contracts are exactly the same. Sure Visnovsky is continuing to play while not honoring his contract with the NHL, but how does that make his and Thomas' reasoning any different?

Some people want to differentiate between the two because Visnovski's reasoning sounds less appealing then Thomas' (likely because we're more able to objectively look at the Visnovsky scenario due to the lack of the same emotional attachment to the player)... but if you support Thomas then it would be hypocritical to paint any player in the wrong who ditches on a contract to be with family. If you don't, then this isn't geared toward you.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:24 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Again, I, along with the majority in this thread who have an issue with Thomas decision, am simply concerned with the cap implications.
Soderberg's decision to play in Sweden has no impact on our cap whatsoever.

Tim Thomas was a great goaltender, and I really don't care what sort of personal decisions the guy makes. Fact is, his decision is costing the Bruins 5 million in cap space this year. That's pretty much the only issue I have with it.
Then you should direct your anger towards Chia, and not Thomas. PC was the guy who rushed to get this deal signed and interpreted the over 40 contract stipulations incorrectly. The threat of Thomas getting hurt or retiring and having his salary still be attached to the cap was there from the day he signed the deal.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

And those complaints should be directed at our resident capologist who didn't understand the over 40 rules, not Thomas.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
cneely

Quote:
Cap situation is better this way vs a retirement as they can still move his contract.
It would be much easier to move his contract if he didn't indicate he had no intention of playing.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:30 AM
cneely

Quote:
Then you should direct your anger towards Chia, and not Thomas. PC was the guy who rushed to get this deal signed and interpreted the over 40 contract stipulations incorrectly. The threat of Thomas getting hurt or retiring and having his salary still be attached to the cap was there from the day he signed the deal.
Sure, but I don't think Chia would have anticipated that Thomas would decide to not play out his last year.

Chia was smart enough to lift the no trade clause in the final year so he could move Thomas if need be. Thomas, by deciding to stay home this year, has made the contract untradeable.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
cneely

Quote:
And those complaints should be directed at our resident capologist who didn't understand the over 40 rules, not Thomas.
I disagree. I think the complaints should be directed at the guy who decided not to honor his deal, and made the cap hit unmoveable.
I think you're a little off in suggesting that Chia didn't understand the implications of the deal he signed. He simply didn't foresee Thomas' decision not to play.