HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 02:47 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Ideally, I think, the Oilers need a gritty bottom pairing RD like an Adam McQuaid, Cory Sarich or Sheldon Brookbank.

Maybe a guy like Deryk Engelland is available with all the young defenseman in Pittsburgh.
He would be amazing but he seems very popular with the players and the fans in Pittsburgh and he serves a pretty big purpose riding shotgun for Sid. I cant see them moving him until he is a sack of meat at which point he wouldnt be useful to us anyway.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:10 AM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
I seriously hope we do something to improve our defense. Until then I'm still not convinced this team is ready to surprise.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:17 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
I seriously hope we do something to improve our defense. Until then I'm still not convinced this team is ready to surprise.
They arent going to want to commit yet. Too many questions. Why not take them at their word? They said a long time ago at the start of the rebuild they were going to build from within. They have done NOTHING to deviate from that plan. They need to see how Whitney plays, and how his health is. He is ufa at the end of the year I believe.

They are going to want to see if players like Teubert, Musil and Klefbom are going to fill spots on the back end before they go and overpay for another Souray. I really think the Pronger/Pitkanen/Souray/Visnovsky fiascos swore them off ever going after that type of player again. Not sure why fans would want them to anyway. It hasnt worked in the past, so why get neck deep in something like that again?

Old
01-08-2013, 08:00 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
then you must be real worried about Hall 65 and 61 Gp
To some degree, but that wasn't the issue that was brought up. The question was more about Kane vs. Yakupov and who has question marks. Both have some question marks, one for me on Kane is his health. He's a power forward who's had a hard time staying healthy, is that not something you'd chalk up as a question mark when trading your most recent 1st overall for?

Old
01-08-2013, 08:04 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
then you must be real worried about Hall 65 and 61 Gp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Potter isn't a problem if he and Peckham make up your 7 and 8 guys.

For me, he is not a top 6 defender right now, but even with Schultz coming up he will still be taking a regular shift, which is going to be a problem.
Pretty much this, but this has been the story of our d for a long time. Goes to our forwards as well. Really think we'd need a 4th line center that is very good on draws if we had the guys ahead of him that can actually win a draw?

Old
01-08-2013, 08:09 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Just tossing this out there, I think Kubina is still a UFA. What would people's thoughts be on him for a few months? Imo, he'd be an upgrade on our top 6. I be ok with him, if we could get him for a reasonable price.
Not against the idea, but I think we probably wait a few weeks unless someone else goes down before the start of the year.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They arent going to want to commit yet. Too many questions. Why not take them at their word? They said a long time ago at the start of the rebuild they were going to build from within. They have done NOTHING to deviate from that plan. They need to see how Whitney plays, and how his health is. He is ufa at the end of the year I believe.

They are going to want to see if players like Teubert, Musil and Klefbom are going to fill spots on the back end before they go and overpay for another Souray. I really think the Pronger/Pitkanen/Souray/Visnovsky fiascos swore them off ever going after that type of player again. Not sure why fans would want them to anyway. It hasnt worked in the past, so why get neck deep in something like that again?
Teubert, Musil and Klefbom are what 2-3 years away at best from making an impact on this team?

Old
01-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
I am fine starting the season with:

Petry-Smid
Whitney-J.Schultz
N. Schultz-Peckham/Potter

I'd probably rather we signed a guy like Eaton or Jurcina for depth - but I think if the Oilers are close to making the playoffs they will look at adding a serviceabel defenceman.

We are in tough if Petry or J.Schultz gets hurt though. Teubert...Marincin...are not ready. Plante is not an option. Basically, we'd be in very rough shape.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Teubert, Musil and Klefbom are what 2-3 years away at best from making an impact on this team?
Klefbom will be a full time Oiler by the end of next season. I can see him starting in the AHL - but he will make his way on to this team quicker than you think.

Musil and Marincin are longer term prospects. 3 full years in the AHL are likely - which means Marincin might make the big club in 2015 and Musil in 2016.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:23 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I hope Edmonton looks at a UFA as an option (i.e. Shaone Morrisonn, Milan Jurcina, Colin White, Jim Vandemeer, Pavel Kubina)

Old
01-08-2013, 08:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Klefbom will be a full time Oiler by the end of next season. I can see him starting in the AHL - but he will make his way on to this team quicker than you think.

Musil and Marincin are longer term prospects. 3 full years in the AHL are likely - which means Marincin might make the big club in 2015 and Musil in 2016.
Sure, but is he going to be in the top 4 or just a bottom pairing dime a dozen guy? Making the team isn't going to be hard, making an impact is another story.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:29 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:

Wait... what.... is that? It is! You are supporting oilers' management!

Never thought I'd see the day.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:19 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

i want an old school type badass on defence, someone who plays hard in our zone and is a menace physically that is also a lil crazy and drops the mits and goes buck every once in a while, someone that is intimidating from teh stand point that you never know what hes going to do. kinda like jason smith but crazier.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Spartacles

Send a message via MSN to Spartacles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i want an old school type badass on defence, someone who plays hard in our zone and is a menace physically that is also a lil crazy and drops the mits and goes buck every once in a while, someone that is intimidating from teh stand point that you never know what hes going to do. kinda like jason smith but crazier.
so... theo peckham?

Old
01-08-2013, 10:10 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post

I would say Musil is a little closer to making it, he's solid on D, with NHL size and toughness. Go to a Oilking game and watch him, there's lot to like, and just what the Oilers need on the back end.

I do agree Klefbom will start out in the AHL next season, but will be a quick call and regular toward the end of the season.

Liked what of seen of Marincin with the Barons, still raw and needs to put on some muscle and size. For a rookie in the AHL at his age, he's look good most nights. 3yrs is about right, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's sooner.

A veteran RHS D that is towards the end of his career, to fill in the next couple of years would be nice. Not looking for a PMD, but a steady stay at home D that can school some of these young prospects.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacles View Post
so... theo peckham?
I have a soft spot for Theo, wouldn't surprise me if he turns his game.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I hope Edmonton looks at a UFA as an option (i.e. Shaone Morrisonn, Milan Jurcina, Colin White, Jim Vandemeer, Pavel Kubina)
Sign Vandermeer. He's better than Peckham.

He's been here before, knows most of the guys and will stick up for team mates. We need more toughess on the back end as our forward group is seriously lacking it.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
BowDangles

Quote:

Kevin Lowe did just go on radio this summer and say that they are now in a position to move prospects and picks to acquire players from other organizations. He said he would not be moving the high potential kids (i.e.. Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Yak, Klefbom), but did sound like they are eager to trade some potential to fill some holes.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:40 AM
DousedInOil

The difference between a playoff team and a non playoff team isn't a 6th/7th defenceman. We clearly lack top end talent on the blueline. I could care less if we round out our openin roster with Potter or Peckham.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:43 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
The difference between a playoff team and a non playoff team isn't a 6th/7th defenceman. We clearly lack top end talent on the blueline. I could care less if we round out our openin roster with Potter or Peckham.
I agree, right now it looks like we do not have a suitable 6th man on the blue line, but acquiring a 6th man talent is not the solution. What they need to do is acquire a top end defence man that pushes one of the current players we have into that 6th role.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:53 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacles View Post
so... theo peckham?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
I have a soft spot for Theo, wouldn't surprise me if he turns his game.
i actually love theo as well, it was cemented after avery sucker punched smid and was beaking from teh open gate and Teddy went flying through the gate to get at him. you cant teach that or encourage it, some dude just have the snap factor. if Theo could imrpove his skating and be a solid 6 i would love to have him in the lineup everynight.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
frag2

Quote:
i actually love theo as well, it was cemented after avery sucker punched smid and was beaking from teh open gate and Teddy went flying through the gate to get at him. you cant teach that or encourage it, some dude just have the snap factor. if Theo could imrpove his skating and be a solid 6 i would love to have him in the lineup everynight.
he also needs to go berserk mode frequently

Old
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
woody

How about Paul Ranger? Looks like he is having good season in AHL since his return. I think he is signed to ahl deal only.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
The worst part about having one of those two in the lineup is that we're one injury away from having both of them in the lineup. I agree a top end D-man is more important but the 6 spot has its merits as well.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
calvinguy

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Have been at rinkand have not scrolled down last couple of hours of tweets, so sorry if this is repeat, but re KHL: told that last Friday...

...last Friday, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk were preparing press release to announce they intended to remain in KHL regardless...

Told that quartet hd been promised immense amount of money (guarantee fromn Putin) to stay in KHL and not return to NHL...

Told that NHLPA was able to talk players out of issuing statement...Ovechkin has returned, Datsyuk has pledged to honor last 2 yrs with Det

Does anybody know if this guy is legit?

Closed Thread