HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton + Pittsburgh

Old
01-08-2013, 01:48 AM
judge301

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Hall for Letang
Thousands of years of evolution, natural selection. Some people honestly think you could get Eberle for Letang alone??? Keep swimming survivor! I have no idea where your path leads but i'm certain there is a padded room and a healthy dose of whatever it takes to counter act whatever you are currently tripping on...

Last edited by judge301: 01-08-2013 at 01:59 AM.
judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
This is your flamer account....19 posts...Im sure they are all great posts. Lets be very clear....EBERLE HALL RNH SCHULTZ YAKS are untouchable. End thread.
Trading eberle for Letang would make EDM better IMO. Letangs a top 5 defenseman, eberle isn't quite a top 5 forward

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:08 AM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
both of these posts are completely unnecessary in this thread as it has been civil with both sides bringing up valid points.
Edmonton really isn't that deep on prospects past the next two seasons. Eberle, Hall, and I guess Yakupov are the only sure things.
I'm sure an unbiased Penguins fan doesn't believe that all of their D prospects are sure things. If I had a dollar for every time I read that on here though..... Ka ching!
Yeah, RNH is a real coin toss...

Old
01-08-2013, 02:11 AM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Trading eberle for Letang would make EDM better IMO. Letangs a top 5 defenseman, eberle isn't quite a top 5 forward
WOW, that is all...

Old
01-08-2013, 02:26 AM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
WOW, that is all...
We could do Crosby + Malkin for Eberle's jock

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:55 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

If we aren't talking about Paul Martin, who we would have to replace with an experienced NHL'er, we don't have any players that could be had, that Edmonton would/should want.

Offering prospects to the team that has won the lottery three years running is as useless as it should be.

Thread ripe for closing.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:52 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
If Pitts had drafted Forsberg, there'd be no need for this thread
Why draft a potential offensive star when you can maybe trade one of your D prospects for one in 7 years?

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:51 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
If we aren't talking about Paul Martin, who we would have to replace with an experienced NHL'er, we don't have any players that could be had, that Edmonton would/should want.

Offering prospects to the team that has won the lottery three years running is as useless as it should be.

Thread ripe for closing.
I agree. All this team needs right now is a few experienced depth players (3rd line C and 3rd pairing d) and they'll be making the playoffs for sure. Until then, who knows what's going to happen.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:30 AM
limite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't think any of the fans are bitter. A lot defend the pick and some are adamant that we should have taken Forsberg or Grigs or someone else. It's a mixed bag of opinions.

It's really not unusual though. A high pick like that will always be highly debated by a fan base. Jordan Staal was a good player for us but some people never let go of the fact that they drafted him over Toews and a few others.
There's a big difference. At the time Staal was universally rated the better player. Try reading Gare Joyce's book. The scouts were in awe of Staal, some calling him the best athlete they'd ever seen. It was a very easy pick and can only be criticized in 20-20 hindsight. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Staal proves himself to be an equal or better player now that he is the go to guy and not a third liner. Their even strength/pk scoring stats are not that different, which is amazing given that Staal plays with third liners and Toews with first liners.

With Pouliot, the Pens made a reaching picking him over many higher rated players when the the farm system is already imbalanced by the overload of defensive prospects and lack of forwards. The only people who think that this was a good idea are people who throw logic and reason out the window and think that Shero is smarter than all scouts and scouting organizations. This is the kind of arrogance that gets you the like of Thomas Hickey an Hugh Jessiman.

limite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:12 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I think the Oilers are looking for a proven top 4 guy, and if at all possible a proven #2.

we have a few untouchable players, and not a ton of other guys with a lot of value, so it makes it difficult to find a deal with Pittsburgh.
I agree with this almost completely, but think that if the object is to get a proven #2 not coming of a down year and optimally reasonable paid under the new CBA for non-untouchables, Edmonton won`t really get many places with other teams either.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Well, Stauffer suggested a LHS for a potential top pairing guy. Smid is a solid 2nd pairing guy, Sutton may never play again, Schultz is a 4-5 guy, and the rest are prospects.

Whitney is definitely the wild card, and is a top pairing guy when healthy, but I think Bobs assumption was that Whitney was potentially either not sticking around or not going to get his game back.
A Stauffer follower. Stauffer is not a fan of N.Schultz and on any club N.Schultz is a solid 2nd pairing D. I sometimes wonder if Stauffer knows the difference between his left and his right. N.Schultz is a perfect partner to school J.Schultz along. Petry and Smid was a solid pair towards the end of last season, so give them a chance. Stauffer also likes Peckham and hopes he comes around.

Look at NJ last season and what they had in D and they made the finals.

The Oilers have coming up the pipeline a couple of possible top pair D in Klefbom and Marincin and people just have to wait

Note Stauffer also thinks that the Oilers are a playoff contender, so take anything he says as one of his many Brain Farts.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Pittsburgh's D depth:

Kris Letang
Brooks Orpik
Paul Martin
Matt Niskanen
Deryk Engelland
Ben Lovejoy
Simon Despres
Oli Maatta

Brian Dumolin
Derrick Puliot
Joe Morrow

Scott Harrington
Roberto Bortuzzo
Brian Strait
Philip Samuelsson

The ones that I can remember. Ones in bold are just not going to be moved, ones in italic could but only for a good deal and the ones not marked are available for trade proposals in my book.

Propose away.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Lacaar

That Hemsky for Paul Martin trade sounds like it could work. It would be a gamble for both teams.

Edmonton definately needs more 25+ year old players on the team.
How is Pittsburgh shaping up for the cap next year?

If you're looking for cap relief we can toss you some prospects.
I'd doubt there's really anyone untouchable among Edmonton's forwards in the prospect department.

Martin for Paajarvi and 3rd?

Any of your senior d-men for our forward prospects?

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
That Hemsky for Paul Martin trade sounds like it could work. It would be a gamble for both teams.

I'd doubt there's really anyone untouchable among Edmonton's forwards in the prospect department.

Pittsburgh has around $12m cap space next year. I'd think that unless Martin improves a buyout would be used on him. A few guys need re-signing though I think. So in the end it'd be about $7m.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:31 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Pittsburgh's D depth:

Kris Letang
Brooks Orpik
Paul Martin
Matt Niskanen
Deryk Engelland
Ben Lovejoy
Simon Despres
Oli Maatta

Brian Dumolin
Derrick Puliot
Joe Morrow

Scott Harrington
Roberto Bortuzzo
Brian Strait
Philip Samuelsson

The ones that I can remember. Ones in bold are just not going to be moved, ones in italic could but only for a good deal and the ones not marked are available for trade proposals in my book.

Propose away.
Simon Despres, and Joe Morrow look to being having a bad time in the AHL, nice prospects, but debatable if their better then what the Oilers have. The Oilers would be looking for a physical RHS D and not another PMD. Pass on anyone the Pens would have to offer. The Oilers are looking for a gritty veteran D, and not one with a high salary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

In the next couple of years the Oilers will not have problem attracting UFA's. Pass on Martin, best find some other team. Good chance Martin could end up playing behind N.Schultz and Smid, meaning 3rd line and he's too soft for the Oilers needs.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Danglesonice66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Why draft a potential offensive star when you can maybe trade one of your D prospects for one in 7 years?
Actually most people are against trading any of those guys in all but the most unrealistic proposals.

Danglesonice66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:09 PM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
We could do Crosby + Malkin for Eberle's jock
getting closer... sarcasm appreciated but, c'mon, there is no way letang alone is worth Eberle.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Sparky1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
You have the young Wingerz, we have the young D, let's get together and make some music.
We did not draft forwards instead of defensemen just to turn around and trade them for defensemen.

NO!

Sparky1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Black Label

Quote:
getting closer... sarcasm appreciated but, c'mon, there is no way letang alone is worth Eberle.
Not unless you take off your homer glasses.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:22 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
Ummmm yes he is. There are far more Eberles out there than there are Letangs.

A top 5 PMD >>> a top 15 forward.

As said before...take off your homer classes.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

why help pittsburgh? so they can beat philly and then edmonton in the final?

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Eskimo44

I think Letang is terrific and certainly fair value for Eberle but i don't think he's anywhere near a top 5 dman (more like top 15) and Eberle's potential is still unrealized one could easily argue.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I think Letang is terrific and certainly fair value for Eberle but i don't think he's anywhere near a top 5 dman (more like top 15) and Eberle's potential is still unrealized one could easily argue.
These "top __" lists are always subjective, but he's the only active defenseman other than Chara and Weber to finish top 10 in Norris voting the last 2 seasons. I think that's as good and reliable an objective source as we're going to get on the subject.

But for the record, as much as I like Eberle, any move that would leave Paul ****ing Martin as our #1 would be a terrible, terrible mistake. Eberle couldn't score enough goals to make up for it. Hell, Gretzky probably couldn't score enough goals to make up for it.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:19 PM
lakai17

what is the value of Dumoulin or Engelland to Edmonton?

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:51 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
what is the value of dumoulin or engelland to edmonton?
mps...

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote