HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers vs Flames - Who will finish ahead in the standings?

View Poll Results: Oilers vs Flames - Who will finish higher in the standings?
Oilers 217 81.89%
Flames 48 18.11%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-07-2013, 10:42 PM
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
It really depends on how many times we face Phoenix, Minnesota, and Dallas this season

McDangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:47 PM
NeverForget06
I was in 5th Grade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
It really depends on how many times we face Phoenix, Minnesota, and Dallas this season
Totally agree, with the shorter season the team that can pick up wins against tough division and conference opponents ( Vancouver, Minnesota, Chicago) will end up on top.

NeverForget06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Calgary's GF/GA was a whopping 3 better than the Oilers last season. I don't think there's anyway the Oilers won't improve a decent amount this year and pass the Flames.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Calgary's GF/GA was a whopping 3 better than the Oilers last season. I don't think there's anyway the Oilers won't improve a decent amount this year and pass the Flames.
But... but... the additions of Hulder! And Wideman!

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Matheson mentioned that if its a 48game schedule then there will be 7 games against each divisional opponent and 2 games against each rest of conference opponent=48games.

This means 28 games within division.

Heres our divisional success in recent years: (24 GP in each instance)

11-12 8W

10-11 6W

9-10 8W

So over the last 3 seasons we have 20 W's in 72GP against divisional opponents. Pretty much one of our main struggles has been divisional play, now magnified substantially in this season.

Yeah I get that we're better this year. So is Minny, Van, Colorado.

People better hope Matheson is wrong.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

7 games against each divisional opponent? Without having any information on the matter I don't think that makes any sense. 6 intradivision games in a full season and 7 in basically a half season? Preposterous!

I also don't put much stock their record in divisional games from previous seasons. The Oilers didin't win many because they weren't any good.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
7 games against each divisional opponent? Without having any information on the matter I don't think that makes any sense. 6 intradivision games in a full season and 7 in basically a half season? Preposterous!

I also don't put much stock their record in divisional games from previous seasons. The Oilers didin't win many because they weren't any good.
I totally agree.

Matheson wrote it in the Journal today. LIke I say we better hope he's wrong on the 48GP scenario.

Oddly he did say if its a 50 game schedule its 5 games against each divisional opponent and 3 against the other divisional opponents. That to me makes more sense and is a more attractive balanced schedule.

I guess hope for the 50GP. From the sounds of it Matheson is wired in.

AS for the divisional play Minny and Calgary have often had our number for specific reasons so i don't think you can say thats a wash. Vancouver will just because of being a veteran contending squad. Colorado hard to get a gauge on how that goes.

But I do think going .500 against division would be tough for us in any scheduling. Even with the skill improvements. We can score goals, but can we play physical, match divisional intensity, line match, stand up to the heavy hitting, etc.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-07-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Ya I doubt it is 50 tho. 48 the way Matheson was showing makes sense mathematically but it just sucks. It'll be like the AHL where you play the same team 3 out of 4 games.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:49 PM
oilersfan11

So,we're going to play Vancouver and Minny 14 times out of this 48 game season.

ya,.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:08 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
One of these isnt like the others.
I suppose the way I wrote that made it seem like I was implying that. I wasn't. All I meant is that I think those are some players that will still improve their games to various degrees. For Gags in particular, I don't think he topped out in his 18yo season.

Quote:

This 7 game thing has been floating around for a while. I don't like it because it means an uneven number of home vs away games for division opponents. If we end up playing 4 in Min and 4 in Van, we can pretty much write those games off. And even 50/50 on our home games gives us 6p(+maybe a couple of loser point on the road) out of a possible 28 from those series.

Frankly, with that scedule, if we aren't better than the Flames(and likely the Avs too) we're probably going to be debating Jones vs Mackinon vs Barkov vs Monahan in 5 months.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:25 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I suppose the way I wrote that made it seem like I was implying that. I wasn't. All I meant is that I think those are some players that will still improve their games to various degrees. For Gags in particular, I don't think he topped out in his 18yo season.
There sure hasnt been much improvement, especially when compared to someone like Eberle. Do you expect Hall and RNH to be treading water for five years? I dont.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:27 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
So,we're going to play Vancouver and Minny 14 times out of this 48 game season.

ya,.
I dont think it has been fully determined what the schedule will look like. It would be a huge mistake for the nhl to have teams play each team within their division seven times in what amounts to half a season. The fans deserve much better than that.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:40 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
There sure hasnt been much improvement, especially when compared to someone like Eberle. Do you expect Hall and RNH to be treading water for five years? I dont.
I don't want to turn this into a Gagner thread so I'll leave it at this. You are of course welcome to respond, but I'm putting a short leash on responses to that.

I don't expect Hall and RNH to tread water for 5 years. But not all players are the same. The Sedins took time, as did many other impact players. Gagner is still young and can improve. He'll never be Hall or RNH, but he could still be a good 2nd line C. In a cap world you can't have superstar at every position. Sometimes good enough is good enough. I guess we'll see what he does this season. It will tell us a lot about if he's got a future here.

\OT

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:02 AM
SephF
Patreeky

Hall and RNH are 1st overall picks, they better not. Gagners also made subtle improvements in his game but we should probably have a stickied thread on the subject. Lets not veer this off topic

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:04 AM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

The regular season is supposedly going to last something like 98 days (iirc)... and since they are greedy and want to cram as many games in there as possible (48-50) to maximize revenues, I have no doubt they'll make up a very fugly schedule.

I agree it's goofy having 7 games vs divisional opponents but you can bet they'll do that for "travel" reasons and they'll want to market all those "Fantastic divisional rivalries"™ to attract the fans back to the rink.

Personally seeing the boring Wild and ******* Canucks 14 times in ~12 weeks would be more incentive to stay away.

I'd prefer a more balanced approach... 4 games vs divisional teams, 3 vs other teams in the conference and then the balance vs teams that are relatively close geographically from the other conference. ie Winnipeg/Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa.

So:

4 x Calgary
4 x Colorado
4 x Vancouver
4 x Minnesota

3 x Detroit
3 x Chicago
3 x Nashville
3 x St Louis
3 x Columbus
3 x Anaheim
3 x Los Angeles
3 x San Jose
3 x Dallas
3 x Phoenix

2 x Winnipeg
2 x Toronto
(or 1 x Montreal 1 x Toronto 1 x Winnipeg 1 x Ottawa)

That would be 50 games and a relatively good schedule to watch as it wouldn't be overly repetitive and the travel would still be reasonable if they planned the road trips out well.

No doubt though that's way too fan oriented and they'll make a much ****tier and more divisionally-focused schedule where we'll be sick of the same teams over and over and over.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:09 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Eberle is not a first overall pick, and really draft pedigree shouldnt have anything to do with a player's development. Everyone can and should improve from year to year up to a point, and then they may hold that level for a time, before dropping off. The improvement in Gagner has been like watching grass grow, so insignificant from year to year it is almost unnoticeable.

Did his rookie year set up unrealistic expectations? Quite probable. But its been five years now folks. This is year number six coming up. He is no longer a prospect at this point. People are already calling Plante a bust. Same draft year. Why the need to "wait and see" for Gagner? I think he is likely to be what he is. Are there exceptions and late bloomers? Sure, but they are just that, exceptions.

I wont go on anymore in this thread with this subject.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:57 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Oilers.

We somehow have better depth at center and on paper we at least match them on the blueline. We kill them on the wings and they probably have an edge in net.

Would truly be great if it was close. We could have meaningful games for once. Damn it's been a long tie.

The sad reality is that we're coming out of a rebuild and they're being forced into one. Can you imagine if they'd gone firesale 3 years ago? They'd probably be in a very similar boat to the one we're in now.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:17 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Oilers.

We somehow have better depth at center and on paper we at least match them on the blueline. We kill them on the wings and they probably have an edge in net.

Would truly be great if it was close. We could have meaningful games for once. Damn it's been a long tie.

The sad reality is that we're coming out of a rebuild and they're being forced into one. Can you imagine if they'd gone firesale 3 years ago? They'd probably be in a very similar boat to the one we're in now.
Burke probably would have traded 3 firsts for Iginla, so they'd have some combination of Seguin/Hamilton/first round pick this year...

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:23 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Burke probably would have traded 3 firsts for Iginla, so they'd have some combination of Seguin/Hamilton/first round pick this year...
Why.. .why can't Brian Burke trade 1st rounders to Canadian teams? I think he's got an agenda.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:18 AM
HugginThePost

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Oilers.

Probably?

HugginThePost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:02 AM
BowDangles

Kippersoff will be the deciding factor here, he always single handily keeps them in games and steals games. If he regresses at all this year than the flames are in trouble.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Lacaar

I don't mind playing Calgary and Vancouver 7 times.

But Minnesota 7 times? It's hard enough to watch 1 game against them. It always degenerates into such boring hockey. Seems like every subsequent game against them progressively turns into a bigger snoozefest.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Eberle is not a first overall pick, and really draft pedigree shouldnt have anything to do with a player's development. Everyone can and should improve from year to year up to a point, and then they may hold that level for a time, before dropping off. The improvement in Gagner has been like watching grass grow, so insignificant from year to year it is almost unnoticeable.

Did his rookie year set up unrealistic expectations? Quite probable. But its been five years now folks. This is year number six coming up. He is no longer a prospect at this point. People are already calling Plante a bust. Same draft year. Why the need to "wait and see" for Gagner? I think he is likely to be what he is. Are there exceptions and late bloomers? Sure, but they are just that, exceptions.

I wont go on anymore in this thread with this subject.
His father was a late bloomer. Played 4 seasons in the NHL from age 20 to 24 with no real improvement. At 25 he bloomed into one of the most consistent players in the league.

You are right... late bloomers happen, so when in doubt, trust genetics.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I don't mind playing Calgary and Vancouver 7 times.

But Minnesota 7 times? It's hard enough to watch 1 game against them. It always degenerates into such boring hockey. Seems like every subsequent game against them progressively turns into a bigger snoozefest.
It could be worse, we could be Winnipeg.

If the schedule turns out with 7 divisional games and they dont move out of the SE they will be so screwed this season. Guess they get the consolation prize of Mackinnon or Jones.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
I would be interested to see what the results would look like had this been posted on Calgary's board.
This is the real tell. I think you'd see about a 70-30 split (in favour of us ofcourse), which is much better than past years.
Who knows how the Flames will be this year, but I think they will be a very different team.

This poll is pretty funny though, it's good to be optimistic, but also good to be realistic. Oilers haven't finished ahead of the Flames in a decade. During that span the Flames have put up an average 17 more points/season than the Oilers.

I do think it will be close with each Canadian team this year. Being from WPG, I have my Flames - Jets bets going right now, and I really don't know which way that would go either!

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote