HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Markstrom to PHI after a Luongo to Florida trade

Old
01-08-2013, 12:16 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
That's a great trade if Florida gets Luongo... Great for both teams
Thats a terrible trade for Florida.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Thats a terrible trade for Florida.

No... It's not.

Gaining
Luongo
Couturier
Meszaros

Losing
Markstrom
Kulikov

= better team by far

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:58 AM
S3rkie

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Your point still doesn't make sense. Teams trade players for a multitude of reasons and you're looking at the Richards trade in a vacuum. Richards and the team had problems, so the team fixed it.

So, if Philly wins a cup in the next 10 years does that make the Richards trade good? Or does it depend on the stats of Schenn/Grossman/Simmonds?

The biggest reason why Philly took a step back was because of the injury to Pronger. Richards leaving may have benefited the team more than it hurt it, regardless of success he experiences elsewhere.
My point wasn't that complicated, just an opinion on preference of players, not stats and projections. No need to completely derail and pick a part what I said word for word over a half baked comment i made about an awful proposal. If a comment annoys you so much why not just disregard it?

S3rkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:02 AM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
How are the Flyers any further from winning the cup than they were when Richards was on the team? Really, I'd love to know. For that last time though, Richards wasn't moved for Bryzgalov. He was traded for some other reason that continues to be speculated about to this very day.
if you actually read my post i didn't say anything about them being related just mentioned two moves i didn't like. I think they are further, bc they dealt for developing players that need to grow into their roles. Didnt say they are a bad team, just don't see them winning in the immediate future. Could they , of course. Just an opinion. simmer down

Old
01-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
So Florida trades for a guy they don't seem to really want back, although they acknowledge he'd be a big improvement, and then trade the reason that the guy they're trading for isn't a big deal. This same player they are being asked to trade has risen through the ranks of their organization, and despite a few stumbles in the AHL this year, looks very impressive.

Why does Florida do this? I mean, the Flyers have a better chance getting Schneider from Vancouver instead (I'm not saying we're game for that either though) then getting Florida to move a player who will fit with their future corp of top end players.

Unless we cut Florida a hell of a deal on Luongo (not happening, sorry Panthers), why do they do this?

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:23 AM
S3rkie

Quote:
No... It's not.

Gaining
Luongo
Couturier
Meszaros

Losing
Markstrom
Kulikov

= better team by far
why wouldn't fla just keep their highly ranked prospects that are age appropriate to their timeline. Not that the value isnt there now, it just doesnt make sense time wise.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
Heres an idea, how about the Panthers don't ruin their team, and Philly deals with their poor decisions.
Agreed. Nobody is going to steal Markstrom away, sorry. Regardess of if we get Luongo or not. That has nothing to do with what the organization thinks of Markstrom. He's having a great season and if he's not the best prospect goalie in the world, he's certainly close.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You don't simply trade for a player with 10 years and almost 50 million left on his contract to be a stopgap. How long are you guys expecting Markstrom to take to finish developing?
What other bonafide #1 goalies are out there right now that can be had cheap?

Old
01-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
No... It's not.

Gaining
Luongo
Couturier
Meszaros

Losing
Markstrom
Kulikov

= better team by far
So we're getting Luongo for free? Cool.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:02 AM
glenbuis

Quote:
No... It's not.

Gaining
Luongo
Couturier
Meszaros

Losing
Markstrom
Kulikov

= better team by far
Disregarding age and contracts, Markstrom is a better goalie today than Luongo. Luongo has been brutal the past 12-24 months and Markstrom is the real deal.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:33 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
No... It's not.

Gaining
Luongo
Couturier
Meszaros

Losing
Markstrom
Kulikov

= better team by far
Yea, a better team if we are getting Luongo for free. The difference between a Markstrom for Couturier trade is not the difference between Kulikov and Meszaros. No way Florida does this trade, considering who they have coming up in the system at center, and Kulikov's potential.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

Tallon is not giving up on Markstrom.

Don Tibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
The Phil

Quote:
No... It's not.

Gaining
Luongo
Couturier
Meszaros

Losing
Markstrom
Kulikov

= better team by far
So if you add Luongo and completely disregard what it costs to get him, it makes them a better team by far.

The Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

If Van keeps Luongo to start the season, why not take a run at Schnieder? He has shown (albeit a small sample) that he can handle NHL play.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Broad Street Elite

Some of these trades are really bad for Florida. I personally have seen enough of Markstrom where I beleive he is a potentially star in the making.

If, hypothethically, Luongo were acquired... this Flyers fan would have no issue centering a deal around a Voracek or Simmonds. Yes, I realize that recent extensions make that unlikely, bt we're taking value. To me, if the deal were around Schenn, Florida woud need to add as they are both high potential prospects with one being a traditionally more valuable position (1/2C) and the other being less predictable (G).

Markstrom should be someone's starting goalie in 2014-2015. Markstrom is already on the record saying that he doesn't want to be someone's back-up and feels he needs to play. That probably works for this season and perhaps some of next year with the Rampage, but that's about it.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Lebda Snipes

Florida would look to win now if they aqquire Luongo, and there would be a high price tag on Markstrom if Philly was interested. I would think in the area of Wayne Simmons + another roster player, and maybe even a low pick on top of that. And Simmons is Philly style player that i doubt any Philly fan would want to see go, ecspecially for a backstop that is still considered a prospect.

If I were philly I would look else where for a tendy.

Lebda Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Seventeen Twos

vCash: 450
why doesnt florida just close the loop and trade markstrom directly to the leafs

Seventeen Twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Dylonus

Better be one hell of a return to Florida, one that doesn't include Bryzgalov

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
Disregarding age and contracts, Markstrom is a better goalie today than Luongo. Luongo has been brutal the past 12-24 months and Markstrom is the real deal.
Words cannot describe the facepalm I just gave myself..

But seriously, if Philly did buy out Bryzgalov(I believe buying out Pronger isn't an option, since he's on LTIR), it would make much more sense for them to trade for Luongo or Schneider so they can compete now, rather than a prospect 2+ years away.

Florida finishes their rebuild in peace, and Van and Philly, two contending teams, can exchange pieces that make both teams better off.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Markstrom would not get Cooter people. Goalies just don't have that value with the chances of them busting so high. I understand your value for him, but Schenn/Couts wouldn't be moved for a goalie.
Yeah goalies have no value, that's why you guys spent so much money on Bryz. If you talking trade value? I still don't buy it, anybody can bust.

This trade just don't work out on either end. Why would Florida even want a headache like LOLongo and just leave the young kid Marky in net.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Exit Dose

Markstrom doesn't suddenly become unneeded in Florida if they land Luongo. Injuries happen and having a guy like that in reserve makes holding on to him the right move, for the near term at least.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Dylbot

Already given up on Bryzgalov one year into a nine year deal?

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Already given up on Bryzgalov one year into a nine year deal?
Most Flyers fans would probably describe the next 48 games as a serious measure of Bryz's longterm stay. I don't think a single fan defended the contract the Flyers gave him even before he had the rollercoaster year he had. With an amnesty option, it's simply sound asset mangement to consider whether Bryzgalov is worth keeping in spite of his horrible deal, which includes a full NMC.

As for the discussion of Luongo and Schnieder.... Luongo has an asset cost I assume? Then you add in a contract, having to use an amnesty on Bryz, and you leave yourself asking "Are we that much better off with Luongo, a longterm cash backout to Bryz and without the assets used to acquire Luongo"?

Schnieder presumably as an even higher asset cost than a guy like Markstrom while also being signed to a more expensive contract (and yes, with more experience and demonstrated success).

Old
01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Markstrom doesn't suddenly become unneeded in Florida if they land Luongo. Injuries happen and having a guy like that in reserve makes holding on to him the right move, for the near term at least.
Florida just signed Clemmenson to a 2-year extension and I believe they still have Theodore. For the short term, Markstrom is fine in San Antonio, but it's not like he's needed to back-up Luongo anytime soon. For a young player like Markstrom, sitting behind a goalie Luongo and picking up spot strarts is likely way worse than playing full time in the AHL. The Flyers found that out with Bobrovsky.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Florida just signed Clemmenson to a 2-year extension and I believe they still have Theodore. For the short term, Markstrom is fine in San Antonio, but it's not like he's needed to back-up Luongo anytime soon. For a young player like Markstrom, sitting behind a goalie Luongo and picking up spot strarts is likely way worse than playing full time in the AHL. The Flyers found that out with Bobrovsky.
I would take Markstrom over Jose. Having a backup plan of Clemmenson-Markstrom or Luongo-Markstrom seems pretty good if someone goes down. They are in no rush to trade him.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote