HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Poti could be glued to the ice and he'd be an upgrade on Schultz.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Vabeachblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Just so you know, there's a HF rule against "So and so is back" posts

Roaring back ???

Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
He's fine now.
Really? Where did you see this?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:03 PM
um

ovechkin-backstrom-laich
johansson-ribeiro-brouwer
chimera-perrault-wolski
hendricks-beagle-ward
crabb

alzner-carlson
hamrlik-green
schultz-orlov
poti
erskine

hotlby
neuvirth

this isn't as bad as i thought but it may be tough if backstrom is out for to long. and it will be interesting to see if poti can come back to form and help our defense then we can proceed to trade schultz for steven stamkos

Old
01-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Poti returning is mega cool, but after 2 full years without playing hockey, he will barely be able to play limited minutes this season.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:31 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Really? Where did you see this?
Reading between the lines from this

Quote:
"I'm standing at the airport in Moscow right now, and am about to board a plane to Washington. 2013 really couldn't have started off any better than this. This is the best thing that could have happened.

"It feels so good to finally go back home. That's what Washington feels like for me now, like it's my home. But above everything else, I'm just really excited about playing in the NHL again.

It's not yet determined when camps open up for the Washington Capitals, but it will happen soon, and the team's first line center hopes that he will be able to take advantage of the fact that he up to game speed thanks to him playing in the KHL during the lockout.

"Things have been going really well for me in Russia, so of course I'm hoping that my good game shape continues.
Judging by that.. he seems fine.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:46 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Brian Lawton tweeted:
Quote:
More specialty rules with regard to buy-outs emerging as clubs will no longer be able to buy out players earning 2.75 or less who were not on a clubs reserve list as of or prior to Trade Deadline.
I'm wondering whether it affects compliance/amnesty buy outs, too. If so, we're stuck with Jeff Schultz until the end of his contract.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:18 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Brian Lawton tweeted: I'm wondering whether it affects compliance/amnesty buy outs, too. If so, we're stuck with Jeff Schultz until the end of his contract.
Schultz would be on the Caps' reserve list. Sounds more like you can't trade a guy in the offseason to let another team buy him out.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:18 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Why are so many people leaving our stellar Predators FA DMan addition out of the lineup?

Old
01-08-2013, 07:21 AM
BobRouse

I agree the Caps maybe mediocre this season but it all depends on the system they use and if it can bring the best out of some of the skilled players.

Poti returning could be a huge deal. He was pretty good on one leg due to his smarts and I can see him quickly acclimating. Actually this is great news for the Caps.

Could we use another scoring winger? Sure. Wolski is not the answer. One of Laich, MJ and Brouwer has to step up for sure to help the 2nd line and provide balance.

The D looks strong as it has in a LONG time.

We'll see how the young goalies hold up but they will have strong support from a pretty good D.

It pretty much all depends on Ovechkin and Backstrom getting back into 50 goal and 100 pt form respectively. If that happens (big IF ofcourse) then the Caps will be a contender for sure. Seems like both these players looked good in the KHL so that is good news.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:52 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I am surprised there isn't more optimism.

Without even trying to score, we were 1 goal away from the ECF.

Our floater was taught a painful lesson, play two way or you will be the next Pierre LaRouche.

We got rid of some bad components. Wideman, and more debatable, Semin. But we gave Semin a fair shake to lead us to a cup and we have moved on.

Holtby looks solid, all our young players are a year wiser.

Dale who most hated despised like we did when he was a Nordique, is long gone.

Where are the big holes? Scoring RW. Big ****ing deal. you wanted Semin gone, suck it up with Wolski and stay positive.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:12 AM
BobRouse

Well the people who are convinced that losing Semin was addition by subtraction will have a chance to see first hand. I think he would have thrived in a more offensive system like the one we supposedly will have under Oates.

I prefer Laich, Brouwer and MJ along with OV as top 6 wingers. I hate Wolski and hope he is just a reserve. He was awful with the Rangers I thought.

But gaining Ribiero certainly helps the middle of the ice. He's also ace at shootouts and those points maybe valuable in a 48 game season. I guess having Wolski in those situations will be a good thing too.

I do think Carolina got drastically better. Florida won the division but I can see them taking a slight dip..they had alot of things go right for them last year. I expect Tampa to bounce back.

I think we are a playoff team either way

Old
01-08-2013, 08:21 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am surprised there isn't more optimism.

Where are the big holes? Scoring RW. Big ****ing deal. you wanted Semin gone, suck it up with Wolski and stay positive.
Big ****ing deal? Uhhhh, yea it is. We pay 5 million bucks to the French Flopper to saucer passes to....who? Unless he's going to make Laich into an awesome goal scorer or passes with such greatness that he turns DropPassGenius or BostonGoalDude into Richard winners it's a waste of money and effort. Our second line is going to make up what...possibly 12 million bucks, with Ward? I hate to be a Donnie Downer but Laich-Ribs-Ward isn't a ****ing 12 million dollar line.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Ribs turned Brendan Morrow into a 30+ goal scorer. He can do the same for Laich or Brouwer.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:27 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think the Caps are better this season than last, but with the shortened and compressed schedule, one bad week or a key injury or two (even if the injuries ares short term) could kill the team's playoff chances.

Plus, there's always the possibility that the team takes a few weeks to adjust to the new system.

I'm weary of making any predictions about where they finish due to that.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:33 AM
BobRouse

My biggest thing is how Oates handles adversity. I've seen inexperienced coaches just collapse when things don't go right (McLean in NJ for instance). I'd be more confident with an established coach in that regard.

Lose Semin/Gain Ribiero seems like just about a wash.

The young players you would think have gotten better.

I think Brouwer and Laich are fine for the top 6 but it sure would be nice to have another sniper in there like we have been used to over the past several years.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Schultz would be on the Caps' reserve list. Sounds more like you can't trade a guy in the offseason to let another team buy him out.
Oh thanks. The "Reserve list" definition was the key. I thought it's non-roster (AHL, etc.) players.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:00 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Oh thanks. The "Reserve list" definition was the key. I thought it's non-roster (AHL, etc.) players.
I thought that meant guys eligible to play in the playoffs (so guys already there or acquired before the deadline or callups) but maybe I'm completely misunderstanding it. But I don't see how it would make sense otherwise.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
G3 LesPaul

I'm just as optimistic as last year.

I think we will be just fine

Old
01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I thought that meant guys eligible to play in the playoffs (so guys already there or acquired before the deadline or callups) but maybe I'm completely misunderstanding it. But I don't see how it would make sense otherwise.
You are right. From previous CBA:
Quote:
"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one time, not more than 90 Players (...)

Old
01-08-2013, 09:51 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Big ****ing deal? Uhhhh, yea it is. We pay 5 million bucks to the French Flopper to saucer passes to....who? Unless he's going to make Laich into an awesome goal scorer or passes with such greatness that he turns DropPassGenius or BostonGoalDude into Richard winners it's a waste of money and effort. Our second line is going to make up what...possibly 12 million bucks, with Ward? I hate to be a Donnie Downer but Laich-Ribs-Ward isn't a ****ing 12 million dollar line.
Know that I was on the keep Semin plan so my post was a parting shot at those that have wanted him gone for years.

GM may yet have some tricks up his sleeve to fill any voids we have. We certainly have some parts on D to package if he wants.

I do think the flying frenchman will find that even the lowly lowly grinding wingers post Knuble are smart enough to lower their heads put their stick on the ice, and let him push goals in off their blades. Wait for it.

We have Ovi Nick and Green all healthy.

Times have certainly been much bleaker in this town.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:42 AM
sunnydaycrash

Well McPhee was quoted this morning that he thinks the trade action will be heavy before the season starts as his phone has been ringing off the hook so,.....ya never know.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:53 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think the Caps are better this season than last, but with the shortened and compressed schedule, one bad week or a key injury or two (even if the injuries ares short term) could kill the team's playoff chances.

Plus, there's always the possibility that the team takes a few weeks to adjust to the new system.

I'm weary of making any predictions about where they finish due to that.
i agree with all of this. its really hard to figure. could go either way, all the way.
it makes watching the games as they unfold all that more fun. i mean, if you were inclined to care about them

just kidding, buddy

Old
01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
My biggest thing is how Oates handles adversity. I've seen inexperienced coaches just collapse when things don't go right (McLean in NJ for instance). I'd be more confident with an established coach in that regard.

Lose Semin/Gain Ribiero seems like just about a wash.

The young players you would think have gotten better.

I think Brouwer and Laich are fine for the top 6 but it sure would be nice to have another sniper in there like we have been used to over the past several years.
if you can tell me what the caps will get out of green, carlson, alzner, holtby and neuvirth, i could tell you what the season will look like.

i can make a solid case for anything from cup winner to playoff miss depending on those guys.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i agree with all of this. its really hard to figure. could go either way, all the way.
it makes watching the games as they unfold all that more fun. i mean, if you were inclined to care about them

just kidding, buddy
See, I didn't care about the lockout anymore, or whether we were going to have a season. Once hockey starts, I'll care about that (though not nearly as much as previously).

Closed Thread