HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Bylsma eyes other guy for Malkin-Neal line

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 10:28 AM
  #51
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I don't deny it's a bit of a crazy idea, but I have always viewed things this way in the salary cap world. Sure, if a guy like Sutter was a home-run next to Sid/Geno, then you do it, to heck with the financial consequences. But if the improvement from a guy like Jeffrey/Tangradi to Sutter is only sublte, then I think it's a factor.


I'm not just looking at having to re-sign all the guys we have, and there's a lot of them (Geno, Letang, Sutter, Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis - although I think the latter two can get done at a reasonable cap hit), but we're also going to want to make a run at Jarome Iginla, or perhaps even look to trade for a guy making some good coin. It may or may not be an issue, but we have to see how things shake out with these contract extensions, buy-outs, and possible incoming trade or UFA options.
Yeah I definitely understand what you mean. The long term benefit of "saving" Sutter's offensive potential until he's re-signed is a great thought. If you could conceivably lock him up at 3mil for 3-4 years take a run at Iginla and then have him explode on the wing with Sid/Geno, we'd be freakin stacked.

That said, in your comment I interpreted it (and maybe a bit too harshly) as sacrificing the present for future gains which we should never do. I personally don't think Sutter will provide some huge offensive gains over Jeffrey/Tangradi in the near term anyway, so I suppose it's a moot point anyway.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
  #52
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I think they'll move Sutter up to the top six like they did with Staal. Except Sutter can play wing far more effectively and still take draws for Geno.
If this worked out, and Jeffrey could fill into the 3rd line center role, we would be really hard to beat:

Kunitz-Sid-Duper
Sutter-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Tangradi (my preference but we know it's Adams spot)

Each line has some grit, skill, and defensive responsibility. I really like the look of that 4th line.

My preference would still be to try Tangradi or Jeffrey in that top 6 left wing spot first to see what we have there.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:36 AM
  #53
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,407
vCash: 500
So apparently you guys are reading into the faceoffs thing different than me and think Sutter would be on the wing. Interesting. We'll see if they try it at camp / how Jeffrey slots in at 3C. Since that would be Jeffrey's natural position I guess we could do worse. Worse = Cooke on Line 2; Much Worse = Kennedy; ****can-worthy = Glass; Tangradi = unknown...

should be interesting.

And before anyone asks why, the reason is Cooke knows exactly what his role is, exactly what kind of goals he can score and would play within himself on Line 2 and do whatever he needs to do make Geno and Neal more successful. Kennedy OTOH would not play within himself, would take countless stupid shots / low percentage shots, and would generally disrupt the flow of the line by trying to do too much / prove "he belongs". Not saying Cooke has more offensive skill, saying Cooke would play smarter.


Last edited by Darth Vitale: 01-08-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:40 AM
  #54
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
So apparently you guys are reading into the faceoffs thing different than me and think Sutter would be on the wing. Interesting. We'll see if they try it at camp / how Jeffrey slots in at 3C. Since that would be Jeffrey's natural position I guess we could do worse. Worse = Cooke on Line 2; Much Worse = Kennedy; ****can-worthy = Glass; Tangradi = unknown...

should be interesting.
I think there are limits to Disco's hard-headedness. I hope.

And revisiting the "Malkin to wing for the sake of a lesser player" experiment is probably something that even he wouldn't tinker with again. At least for any significant length of time.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
  #55
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
So apparently you guys are reading into the faceoffs thing different than me and think Sutter would be on the wing. Interesting. We'll see if they try it at camp / how Jeffrey slots in at 3C. Since that would be Jeffrey's natural position I guess we could do worse. Worse = Cooke on Line 2; Much Worse = Kennedy; ****can-worthy = Glass; Tangradi = unknown...

should be interesting.
I personally don't think Sutter would be on the wing. I was just saying IF he was tried there and excelled, we would be in a very good situation. I think the safe bet is give him the 3rd line center position and exhaust all other options at 2nd line left wing first (of course experimenting switching him and Jeffrey). If this was a full camp, I think there'd be a better chance of seeing him at wing.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
  #56
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I personally don't think Sutter would be on the wing. I was just saying IF he was tried there and excelled, we would be in a very good situation. I think the safe bet is give him the 3rd line center position and exhaust all other options at 2nd line left wing first (of course experimenting switching him and Jeffrey). If this was a full camp, I think there'd be a better chance of seeing him at wing.
What I meant was you guys think if he goes to line 2 it will be at wing, leaving Geno at C. Hopefully Willy is right and even Disco realizes the stupidity of moving Geno off C, given the career year he had last year and chemistry with Neal while centering him. If he ever decides to "fix that not broken setup", I would lose a lot of respect for him as a coach.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
  #57
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
How does HCDB even mention Tanner, FN, Glass in the same sentence as Malkin & Neal?

So he wants to try a guy who averaged .148 points/game with our best offensive players? Craig Adams has even averaged a higher ppg than Glass and he shouldn't even be in the NHL. Is he trying to sack Geno's production to give Shero more leverage in negotiating his next contract? At least that motive has some sort of reasoning.

Bylsma has officially lost his last marble. Can the NHL fine him for this comment?

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:00 AM
  #58
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
What I meant was you guys think if he goes to line 2 it will be at wing, leaving Geno at C. Hopefully Willy is right and even Disco realizes the stupidity of moving Geno off C, given the career year he had last year and chemistry with Neal while centering him. If he ever decides to "fix that not broken setup", I would lose a lot of respect for him as a coach.
Oh sorry I gotcha. Yeah I don't think Geno will be on the wing (or at least I hope not). I think you'd see Sutter take defensive zone draws, but Sutter would be the winger and Geno the center.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:06 AM
  #59
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
How does HCDB even mention Tanner, FN, Glass in the same sentence as Malkin & Neal?

So he wants to try a guy who averaged .148 points/game with our best offensive players? Craig Adams has even averaged a higher ppg than Glass and he shouldn't even be in the NHL. Is he trying to sack Geno's production to give Shero more leverage in negotiating his next contract? At least that motive has some sort of reasoning.

Bylsma has officially lost his last marble. Can the NHL fine him for this comment?
I disagree with you there. Tanner Glass brings a great physical game. He's not expected to score many points. But, I agree he doesn't deserve a spot in the top-6. He's an above-average 4th liner, but also a below-average 3rd liner.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
  #60
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,407
vCash: 500
He brings new meaning to the phrase "made of glass". Now it's a compliment.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:09 AM
  #61
Geno Machino
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
I'm surprised he didn't even mention that Jeffery or Tangradi were options. He may aswell have thrown Adams on that list
Good Lord don't post that! Adams is Bylsma illegitimate son

Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:09 AM
  #62
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I disagree with you there. Tanner Glass brings a great physical game. He's not expected to score many points. But, I agree he doesn't deserve a spot in the top-6. He's an above-average 4th liner, but also a below-average 3rd liner.
He was talking about Adams.

And he's right, IMO.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:11 AM
  #63
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Bury Adams in Wilkes-Barre and bring up Zach Sill!

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
  #64
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I think there are limits to Disco's hard-headedness. I hope.

And revisiting the "Malkin to wing for the sake of a lesser player" experiment is probably something that even he wouldn't tinker with again. At least for any significant length of time.
I don't think he'll do that either. I think its more about finding that line another Kunitz. The RHed face offs is just a bonus.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
  #65
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
He was talking about Adams.

And he's right, IMO.
I miss-read the post.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
  #66
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,094
vCash: 500
Just saw that Andrei Kostitsyn and Marek Svatos are trying out with the Panthers. Damn, that's the exact kind of flier Shero should be taking, particularly AK.

They obviously aren't as concerned as us fans about the hole in our top 6. Showed no urgency to fill it back in July either. I'll say this, if lines/chemistry becomes a lingering issue, people will have plenty of ammo to criticize Shero.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:25 AM
  #67
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I don't think he'll do that either. I think its more about finding that line another Kunitz. The RHed face offs is just a bonus.
Just put Kunitz on Malkin's line. The Cooke, Crosby and Kennedy line played well last season.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
  #68
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Just saw that Andrei Kostitsyn and Marek Svatos are trying out with the Panthers. Damn, that's the exact kind of flier Shero should be taking, particularly AK.

They obviously aren't as concerned as us fans about the hole in our top 6. Showed no urgency to fill it back in July either. I'll say this, if lines/chemistry becomes a lingering issue, people will have plenty of ammo to criticize Shero.
I've heard Alex Kovalev is trying out also. But he's washed up.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:32 AM
  #69
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I've heard Alex Kovalev is trying out also. But he's washed up.
He is, but yet, there's nothing to lose by bringing somebody in to camp. A Comrie type move would make a ton of sense right now. I mean, we're talking about Tanner Glass in here. Matt Cooke the leader in the clubhouse. It could hardly be any worse.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
  #70
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,230
vCash: 500
I honestly think Bylsma has forgotten Jeffery is on this team. I thought the same thing last year towards the end of the season when he recovered from his injury... and then never went back in, never got mentioned that he was back, just sat in no-man's land practicing and nothing else. I haven't seen a quote from him even mentioning the guy's existence since the beginning of last season.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
  #71
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
I honestly think Bylsma has forgotten Jeffery is on this team. I thought the same thing last year towards the end of the season when he recovered from his injury... and then never went back in, never got mentioned that he was back, just sat in no-man's land practicing and nothing else. I haven't seen a quote from him even mentioning the guy's existence since the beginning of last season.
He's a useless hockey player IMO. What does he do? He doesn't have extreme speed, he doesn't hit, he doesn't score a lot, and he doesn't fight. He's basically Tangradi when he's in the NHL.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
  #72
Human
cynic
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bandwagon
Posts: 4,679
vCash: 500
wish they would leave that Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line the **** alone...

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:48 AM
  #73
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
He's a useless hockey player IMO. What does he do? He doesn't have extreme speed, he doesn't hit, he doesn't score a lot, and he doesn't fight. He's basically Tangradi when he's in the NHL.
Well two years ago he was our first line center for a month. He's got good hands and a good shot. He's a better fit for the spot than ****ing Kennedy and Glass.


Last edited by Fordy: 01-08-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
  #74
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
LOL

Im just going to enjoy having hockey back and not worry about Bylsma trolling us all.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:51 AM
  #75
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
According to Capgeek.com, these players are still available (I'm not sure if they're retired, playing in Europe or any other reason)

- Marco Sturm (he was terrible last season but we should at least give him an invite)
- Eric Fehr
- Jochen Hecht (if he's healthy)
- Brian Rolston
- Mike Knuble
- Petr Sykora

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.