HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Zeroknowledge*

vCash: 500
We should give him a 9 game tryout and go from there, if he struggles the first 4 games or so you send him back, if he doesn't you keep him for the 9 game duration, send him back and tell him it's his spot to lose next year and to come in to camp ready for top 6 minutes. If he plays very good and gives you 6,7 points and plays solid without the puck then you can consider keeping him for the full season assuming he will see power play minutes and play 12-16 minutes a game.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Gally11

Few quotes from Therrien in Eric Engels article.

Quote:
"We drafted him as a big centre, and that's what we want him to be," quipped Therrien.

I prodded further by asking whether or not Galchenyuk needed to be one of the best centres in camp, or just one of the best twelve forwards in order to stick. His answer:

"Nothing wrong with starting on the fourth line."

Which was almost true, if not for the fact that he told 98.5 FM's Martin Maguire right before that, that a young forward must get at least "12 minutes of ice-time/game for it to be worth it".

Old
01-08-2013, 11:30 AM
guest1467

Hypothetically a 4th line player can get 12 minutes if he gets PP/PK time.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Please not Gally on a line with Prust and White.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Hypothetically a 4th line player can get 12 minutes if he gets PP/PK time.
That was my thought as well he isn't really contradicting himself.. Darche has seen 16+ minutes

Old
01-08-2013, 12:08 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If Gally plays the 4th line instead of being the go-to-guy in Sarnia.. I will falcon punch Therrien.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If Gally plays the 4th line instead of being the go-to-guy in Sarnia.. I will falcon punch Therrien.
I don't see any problem as 4th liners are used on the 1st line in Montreal!

Old
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
It worked for Seguin in Boston just 2 years ago. Not saying I would do the same and it's the right decision but I guess we got to see what Gally shows in camp

Old
01-08-2013, 12:21 PM
SOLR

Quote:
I truly think Therrien sees Galchenyuk on the LW either on the 2nd or 3rd line. (Who ever finds chemistry...)

Maxpac - Desharnais - Cole
Galchenyuk - Pleks - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Gomez
Prust - Armstrong - Moen

It's very hard not to fit him there, but Leblanc or Gallagher might beat him out. Leblanc being hurt a bit opens up the door for Galchenyuk imo.

Who knows, it might evolve into this rather rapidly:

Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Cole
Maxpac - Pleks - Gionta
etc.
etc.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

With the various Therrien quotes, I'm starting to believe they'll give him a more serious look at camp than I had imagined.

There's a bunch of considerations that have been mentionned for or against Gally staying in Montreal... The Habs seem intent on making him a Center. Is the fact he'd be returning to Sarnia to play Wing one of those considerations?

Old
01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I don't see any problem as 4th liners are used on the 1st line in Montreal!
Interesting, but him on the 4th line playing 12 minutes a game... it's Kuraly/Barber all over again. Can you imagine all the complaining being done around here?

Honestly, let's see how he does in pre-season and training camp. If he shines, give him his 9 game stint and send him back to Sarnia to finish off the year in the OHL. No point in burning a year of his contract for 41 games.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Interesting, but him on the 4th line playing 12 minutes a game... it's Kuraly/Barber all over again. Can you imagine all the complaining being done around here?

Honestly, let's see how he does in pre-season and training camp. If he shines, give him his 9 game stint and send him back to Sarnia to finish off the year in the OHL. No point in burning a year of his contract for 41 games.
I don't think there's a pre-season.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

Can that be done or is it impossible because of the shortened season? That would be ideal

Old
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I don't think it has been leaked yet if it's still a 9 game trial or less/more before the contract kicks.

News from Sarnia:

Paul Owen ‏@ObserverOwen
Sarnia Sting will not be sellers at the Deadline. Beaulieu looking to add a 3rd OA, second-line scoring

Paul Owen ‏@ObserverOwen
OA needs to be finalized tomorrow by noon, so if there's going to be a deal, expect it in the next 20 hours or so.

Paul Owen ‏@ObserverOwen
Beaulieu also comfortable standing pat if right deal doesn't arise.

Paul Owen ‏@ObserverOwen
All this and more coming in my piece, including a chat with @AGally94 on the World Juniors

Old
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I don't think it has been leaked yet if it's still a 9 game trial or less/more before the contract kicks.

News from Sarnia:

Paul Owen ‏@ObserverOwen
Sarnia Sting will not be sellers at the Deadline. Beaulieu looking to add a 3rd OA, second-line scoring

Paul Owen ‏@ObserverOwen
OA needs to be finalized tomorrow by noon, so if there's going to be a deal, expect it in the next 20 hours or so.

Paul Owen ‏@ObserverOwen
Beaulieu also comfortable standing pat if right deal doesn't arise.

Paul Owen ‏@ObserverOwen
All this and more coming in my piece, including a chat with @AGally94 on the World Juniors
Thanks. I just have a feeling it won't be allowed for this season which would suck cause it would be the ideal thing to do with Gally

Old
01-08-2013, 04:21 PM
poetryinmotion

My only problem with Gally on the 4th line is he will be playing against the other team's goons... wouldn't they risk him getting hurt?

Old
01-08-2013, 04:27 PM
SeriousFan09

If Galchenyuk is brought in at LW, he wouldn't find it that hard to knock Bourque out of a Top-6 LW spot, given the fact that he's motivated and can actually pass the puck.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

I cant imagine Leblanc making the team he has been total crap this year very deceiving performances.. he must turn on the engines.. not turn them off.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Dharvey33

I would not say Leblanc has been crap more unlucky he is making 75% of the play but can't finish. He still has good speed and nice hands. He lacks maybe a bit of confidence or is still felling unconfortable with his injuried shoulder.

Let's be honest we all view Leblanc's ceilling as a 3rd line grinder that can put up 30-40 points and play on the pk. That's what he is projecting to be.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
I would say Leblanc has been crap more unlucky he is making 75% of the play but can't finish. He still has good speed and nice hands.

Let's be honest we all view Leblanc's ceilling as a 3rd line grinder that can put up 30-40 points and play on the pk. That's what he is projecting to be.
Is he Chris Higgins #2? I'd be happy if he becomes his clone.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
I would not say Leblanc has been crap more unlucky he is making 75% of the play but can't finish. He still has good speed and nice hands. He lacks maybe a bit of confidence or is still felling unconfortable with his injuried shoulder.

Seriously i think he has top 6 potential because he is very smart and he is very raw (he moves a little ackward imo) but this year the games i have seen... he didnt impose himself one bit.. if he is injured okay i can understand but... but might as well heal atbleat 90% before playing..

I still think he can become more than a top 9... but he has no drive right now... wich i tought was part of his game.. when he compares his style to mike richards.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Habaddict

Oops, this rant is about Galchenyuk.
As there are no preseason games in which to evaluate his "readyness".
Or to let him acclimatize to players of NHL size and Quickness, this is the worst
situation in which to bring up an 18 year old. Also there won't be many
practices because of the compacted schedule.
The only argument for keeping him that I can see, is to let him get a
feel for the NHL game, and lifestyle. And I think that would be best accomplished
playing a few minutes on the fourth line. Especially if he could do this for 5 to 9
games, and then go back to Sarnia with a better understanding of what to
work on. The linemates he had at the WJHC weren't ideal for a "go-to guy"
type role. But in Montreal he just need someone to watch his back for a few
minutes on the ice, and maybe to talk to him about learning to be a NHL
player while they sit on the bench. Any two of Prust, Moen, or White seem
like great choices.Needless to say, I wouldn't want to burn a year of ELC
contract just for this, so it'll depend on the rules.
And if he turns out to be so good that they really need him in a bigger
role, I'd still want him to start out very gingerly, and with little responsablity,
for the first few games. This is the best forward we have drafted since Koivu.
We don't need to mess with his development, for the emotional gratification
of fans who want him to produce in his first few games.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Is he Chris Higgins #2? I'd be happy if he becomes his clone.
I think he has more talent than that, but he's not as fast.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
http://www.theobserver.ca/2013/01/08...at-golden-glow

Quote:
John Madden once said that there's a rule in sports, "Don't do anything great if you can't handle the congratulations.”

It’s a lesson Alex Galchenyuk almost learned the hard way after his American squad iced the World Junior gold medal with an empty net goal against Sweden.

“I thought I was going to get a concussion or something,” said the Sarnia Sting captain. “People were just throwing hands everywhere, helmets were falling.”

Galchenyuk and teammate Connor Murphy became the fifth and sixth members of the Sting to strike World Junior gold.

The Americans won the gold with wins in four straight elimination games,

defeating Slovakia in the final game of the round robin, the Czech Republic in the quarter-finals and Canada in the semis before beating Sweden 3-1 in the final.

“It was an unbelievable ride, for sure,” Galchenyuk said. “Because we lost to Canada, then we lost to Russia, we had to go two games elimination, basically (to make the semis).”

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-11-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: can't copy/paste entire articles
Old
01-09-2013, 06:01 AM
Mr. Hab

Estimated_Prophet:
Agree with you...I also don't see where else Galchy can go but with our Habs next season (since he can't play in the AHL next season). Forget the juniors for him next season, unless he has a miserable playoffs performance...??? So, he'll be a 19year-old with the Habs next season. I really don't think it would be best that he join our Habs this season but I'll respect Habs' management's decision...no choice!, yes I would be excited if Galchy became a Hab right now...but/then again we'll lose 1 yr of ECL (I don't like this at all, and for 48 games only), and most important...not sure Galchy is ready yet (don't want to rush him + so much pressure)...Galchy may be ready for the big paycheck (3mil+)...yes!, and to help here and there, but fully ready for the NHL? not sure. Management has to make the right decision...

Tim Wallach:
first of all...what are you trying to do? make us miss baseball?!
Back to serious...thanks for the info on why Galchy and other junior players can't play in the AHL next season (to protect junior developmental game,etc... not to warm a bench as a junior,etc...).
Fair enough... but a few players (ex: Galchenyuk) should be part of some minimum exception for being able to play at least as a 19year-old in the AHL.
But...who is to say that a junior player won't just end up a bench warmer in the NHL...still/probably better than dominating the junior ranks...? Anyways...I'm for Galchy playing for our Habs next season...since he can't get some AHL games like Subban, Pleks, Price, Pacioretty all did. Something doesn't seem right if Galchy plays this season...seems way too rushed especially that he missed the entire season last year...Galchy will be a super player imo but he needs time to develop/improve...let's not ruin that by rushing him (and we even ruin 1 ECL year...not good, and for what? so we can see him in a Hab jersey right away so many of you can buy the rip-off $250 jerseys? I hope management does the right thing... imo it's next season with the Habs... just imo).

NewHabsEra:
you wrote ''Galchenyuk wouldnt be the first guy to make the team on his draft year, you can do it with special players and to me Gally IS a special player, he has the skills, the attitude needed.. he has nothing to learn anymore on the Sting IMO since Beaulieu has not really a system in place, I think he can learn alot from our best center Plekanec and captain Gionta to do the right things on the ice.. Fact, we need another skilled player to complement the top 6 and Gally is IMO our best option.. Now, lets see our management evaluate the situation, I will trust their decision way more than any comments we hear over here.. Personally I think they will give him a 9 games tryout and then we will all have a better idea if he can keep up with the guys etc etc..''

I agree with a lot of what you wrote but I'm still not sure Galchy playing for our Habs this season is the right one...seems way too rushed. Galchy is already a special player (I agree)...and will be even more special with some time to develop/mature/improve on certain things. Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Pleks...are all special as well and they went through the AHL. Galchy can wait till next season (no AHL but with Habs)...full 2013-2014 season, whole summer of physical/mental preparation, knee will have more time to be stronger,etc,etc.
I wouldn't mind 9 games either...but not worth 1 year of ECL for 48 games...why rush Galchy. I want to see him in a Hab jersey too, but patience can pay off more.
And as for that skilled top 6 player...for sure we need one! same as with D...we need a top 4 dman. But...doesn't mean we should rush Beaulieu or Galchenyuk... all imo.

Go Galchy Go! (let's hope management makes the right decision).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-09-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Closed Thread