HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Even IF Burke said he was going to rebuild, why would you trade a 24 year old ppg player? I agree, Burke expected to be better than we were...thus the overestimation.

The new CBA pretty much means that if Kessel wants to max out...here is where he can do that (longer free agent contracts allowed to your own). Also, if you don't think Burke has turned over assets....maybe you should compare rosters from 4 years ago to now. Your points make it sound like he has a pile of veterans....he doesn't. I never said Luongo didn't make sense, i did say it didn't make sense to pay a premium.

Why does Kessel want to stay and be part of a rebuild? He's UFA in a year.

So Kessel would stay strictly based on the cash? Because it's not about his team competing then.

Burke has turned over the roster, for what? Players that compete now. Every move has been about trying to be better now.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
For arguments sake, he did leave a good team (and subsequently a Stanley Cup ring) for cash.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:

So Kessel would stay strictly based on the cash? Because it's not about his team competing then.

Burke has turned over the roster, for what? Players that compete now. Every move has been about trying to be better now.
1. We are not rebuilding.

2. Players like money....like you and i, it's the reason we all work.

3. While the players Burke has brought in may be "better now" players, feel free to compare the age of players brought in to players sent out.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Leaf fans enjoy a losing team apparently, and Burke doesn't see the value in a good goalie. Set the price at Gardiner+ for Luongo and watch Burke get all mad and bluff. Then deal exclusively with Florida and get a deal done with them for Weiss.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Leaf fans enjoy a losing team apparently, and Burke doesn't see the value in a good goalie. Set the price at Gardiner+ for Luongo and watch Burke get all mad and bluff. Then deal exclusively with Florida and get a deal done with them for Weiss.
For the life of me I can't understand the mindset of most of those Leaf fans, but it's not too hard to get into the head of Burkie. This is the same guy that tried to sell Cloutier to our city as a number 1 for 5 years...

Old
01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
1. We are not rebuilding.

2. Players like money....like you and i, it's the reason we all work.

3. While the players Burke has brought in may be "better now" players, feel free to compare the age of players brought in to players sent out.

1. If you aren't rebuilding you should have no problem taking on a veteran starter.

2. If money was the only concern for players, why do they not all go to UFA every year? Is Kessel a complete mercenary?

3. Age is irrelevant in the face of ability. Show me an aged player that Burke traded that was better than the younger player being brought in. The intention is to always get better. Not rebuild, as you said.

Old
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

if FLA trades Weiss, I assume they want a center back in return. I don't think we can provide that unless they want to gamble on Schroeder

Old
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Leaf fans will be fine with this....doubt FLA ones are though.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
For the life of me I can't understand the mindset of most of those Leaf fans, but it's not too hard to get into the head of Burkie. This is the same guy that tried to sell Cloutier to our city as a number 1 for 5 years...
Kevin "Goalie of the Future" Weekes.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
1. If you aren't rebuilding you should have no problem taking on a veteran starter.

2. If money was the only concern for players, why do they not all go to UFA every year? Is Kessel a complete mercenary?

3. Age is irrelevant in the face of ability. Show me an aged player that Burke traded that was better than the younger player being brought in. The intention is to always get better. Not rebuild, as you said.
LOL....you just said Burke has won every trade. In reality, some would say Beauch at the time.

Some players don't go to UFA because they are offered max deals by their existing teams....this will be the case for Kessel.

There is a difference in rebuilding and building a team with youth. And...i'm not concerned with bringing Luongo in...as i've said. I'm concerned with the cost.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:29 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
I'm never going to remember all this. Why must they make it so complicated?
To make work for lawyers.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
LOL....you just said Burke has won every trade. In reality, some would say Beauch at the time.

Some players don't go to UFA because they are offered max deals by their existing teams....this will be the case for Kessel.

There is a difference in rebuilding and building a team with youth. And...i'm not concerned with bringing Luongo in...as i've said. I'm concerned with the cost.

Burke has done _very_ well on almost all trades while in TOR... except of course the Kessel deal.

It can't be "some" players the way you are explaining things. It has to be every player. Every player, if they are all mercenaries, have to get mac deals from their teams to avoid walking to FA. We know that isn't the case.

If you are concerned with the cost, then you aren't concerned with age, which was your original argument here.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Kevin "Goalie of the Future" Weekes.
Martin Brochu almost sounded like Martin Brodeur.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Martin Brochu almost sounded like Martin Brodeur.
... and if one Potvin can be a champion four times over, it only stands to reason that another one can too.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Burke has done _very_ well on almost all trades while in TOR... except of course the Kessel deal.

It can't be "some" players the way you are explaining things. It has to be every player. Every player, if they are all mercenaries, have to get mac deals from their teams to avoid walking to FA. We know that isn't the case.

If you are concerned with the cost, then you aren't concerned with age, which was your
original argument here.
The only thing about age i said was i wouldn't deal youth for age in the position the Leafs are in. I have no issue with Luongo's age, i have an issue of what it may/will cost to aquire him.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:53 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Just a comment on the first part of your post. It really is shocking to me that the Leaf fans around here have really become quite use to and content with losing and supporting a loser. I think it's been so long since they've had a successful team that they truly forget how sweet it is to watch their team win and actually be in the mix. They would rather continue with mediocrity then change the direction of the team for the better.

As for Burke, well, his biggest weakness as a GM is evaluating goaltending so we really shouldn't be surprised.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Just a comment on the first part of your post. It really is shocking to me that the Leaf fans around here have really become quite use to and content with losing and supporting a loser. I think it's been so long since they've had a successful team that they truly forget how sweet it is to watch their team win and actually be in the mix. They would rather continue with mediocrity then change the direction of the team for the better.

As for Burke, well, his biggest weakness as a GM is evaluating goaltending so we really shouldn't be surprised.
There are those (Leaf fans) who are opposed to bringing Luongo in at all. I agree, that's a little off. But there are those of us who aren't anti-Luongo, we feel now is not the time to deal 1st round picks and young playeres/prospects for an older player.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Biggest problem is his ego, followed by evaluating goalie talent, followed by the inability to tie his tie up so it won't keep falling off.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Stats01

Quote:
There are those (Leaf fans) who are opposed to bringing Luongo in at all. I agree, that's a little off. But there are those of us who aren't anti-Luongo, we feel now is not the time to deal 1st round picks and young playeres/prospects for an older player.
It may not be the right time for the fans but for Burke it is. Going into his final year on his contract and not being close at all to making the playoffs, this is huge year for the team IMO. If we don't make the playoffs Burke is gone.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
The only thing about age i said was i wouldn't deal youth for age in the position the Leafs are in. I have no issue with Luongo's age, i have an issue of what it may/will cost to aquire him.

It's the same argument. Do you value youth at the expense of competing now, or do you value competing now? Burke has clearly valued the latter.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
It's the same argument. Do you value youth at the expense of competing now, or do you value competing now? Burke has clearly valued the latter.
If that were true, would he not have traded for Luongo at the draft? Would he not be trading for vets instead of younger players? Just because you don't trade for only picks doesn't mean you are in win now. He is trying to assemble a young team, that is all.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
It may not be the right time for the fans but for Burke it is. Going into his final year on his contract and not being close at all to making the playoffs, this is huge year for the team IMO. If we don't make the playoffs Burke is gone.
I disagree, but you may be right. I will stand by the fact that Burke WILL NOT make a deal with his job status as the main reason.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
if FLA trades Weiss, I assume they want a center back in return. I don't think we can provide that unless they want to gamble on Schroeder
Maybe they can get Tyler Bozak out of Toronto for Theodore?

01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Maybe they can get Tyler Bozak out of Toronto for Theodore?
Nicely played. I think they would be better off with Schroeder.

Who is their first line center if Weiss is gone?

Old
01-08-2013, 12:21 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Ponying up is definitely a fine line to walk on and one that many people would rather avoid. But Luongo is one of those talents that, no matter how many young prospects and high draft picks you have, you may never hit the lotto with. Luongo is a legit elite goalie with still lots of hockey left in him. I don't care what anyone say about his contract, he's a game changer and instantly makes any team better when playing in their net. If my team hadn't been in the playoffs for 7/8 years? and has really been a bust the last 10 I would be praying for my GM to make a bold move and get a guy like Luongo who could instantly make a difference. Unlike young prospects and picks that may never pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Biggest problem is his ego, followed by evaluating goalie talent, followed by the inability to tie his tie up so it won't keep falling off.
haha so true. I actually think Burke is a good GM. He does have an ego and loves to hear himself speak but he's generally good at what he does. It is really too bad that he doesn't have any idea how to evaluate goalies because he'd have multiple rings if he did.

Closed Thread