HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Who do the Oilers buyout? (If anyone)

Old
01-07-2013, 07:02 AM
OmarkianSpin
Flames Suck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Probably Horcoff, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if we don't. Play in these 48 games will dictate what Tambellini will do.

Now, I know this isn't what anyone wants for Edmonton, but it's an interesting scenario... What are the NYR going to do with Wade Redden for this season? They've buried him in Hartford for so long, are they going to suddenly play him in the NHL for the 48 games this year? Or could they shop him around to a team that may not have a ton of buyout options so they don't have to waste one of their own buyouts on Redden?
I had completely forgotten about Redden until this moment. Maybe Tambo will trade MPS for him. Seems like something Oilers management would do.

OmarkianSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Unfortunately Horcoff will be kept for at least this season, and hopefully they ship him off somewhere to punish him for all those bad years he gave the Oiler fans. Why buy him out, it would be like giving him a bonus for bad play.

I would say Belanger or Eager gets bought out.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:56 AM
OmarkianSpin
Flames Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Unfortunately Horcoff will be kept for at least this season, and hopefully they ship him off somewhere to punish him for all those bad years he gave the Oiler fans. Why buy him out, it would be like giving him a bonus for bad play.

whoa Belanger is still in the Oilers system? Jesus Henry.

OmarkianSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:50 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't see the Oilers using a 2nd buyout.
Hypothetically is there a chance that a team like the Oilers use their 2nd buyout on a player they acquire from another team? Maybe a Florida can't afford to buyout a Jovanoski, but they can afford to give said player and a draft pick up and let the Oil buy him out.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:52 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Well it will be a interesting year, Horc has to up his game big time if he wants to stay an Oilers. Maybe, just maybe he will.
Pretty much, but the question is just how good does he have to be in order to make the Oil keep him?

Old
01-07-2013, 09:00 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Horcoff won't be going anywhere.
I agree.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Well it will be a interesting year, Horc has to up his game big time if he wants to stay an Oilers. Maybe, just maybe he will.
This is a good point, the last time he had to earn his money he was exactly that, money in the bank. Then he got his big deal had shoulder surgery and things went downward.

Maybe the motivation to earn his contract will improve his play.

That being said he is still a serviceable 3rd line center with a 1st/2nd line centers salary.

As far as salary goes this season and next season it doesn't appear that Horcoffs bloated salary will negatively impact the Oilers. 2015 is the season where his contract will start to get in the way.

I could see the Oilers buying him out in the summer of 2014 ending his deal 1 year short.

If they did buy him out this summer they pretty much have to go through Free Agency to replace him, unless one of their prospects can step into a 4th line role. I wouldn't count on it though.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Is it possible to buyout Horcoff and re-sign him at a lower rate?

I can see him going for that since as long as his new contract is more than 1/3rd of his previous deal, he'll be making more money the next two seasons. If the Oilers really need the cap space for new deals, then they might go for it too (even though it'd be expensive).
Not if the buyout rules stay the same. Under the last CBA you weren't allowed to re-acquire a player you bought out for a full year after you buy them out.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:01 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Horcoff off the books will be beautiful. The second buyout will probably be on Belanger or maybe even Hemsky if he has another bad year.
There is ZERO chance they buy out Hemsky. Cmon.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post

They can't buy anyone out for this season. Buy outs are available in the summer.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:25 AM
dnicks17

I have a hunch that the Oilers organization will somehow think they'll be outsmarting the rest of the league if they don't use their buy-outs.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I have a hunch that the Oilers organization will somehow think they'll be outsmarting the rest of the league if they don't use their buy-outs.
Agree.

Khabby and Souray are off the books this summer. We aren't in cap trouble.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
misfit

With confirmation that teams can't re-sign any players they buy out combined with next year's cap being $4.3M more than expected, I'm less sure they buyout Horcoff's contract. They certainly won't HAVE to with Souray's buyout and the Khabibulin and Whitney contracts freeing up another ~$9M.

They'll have about $11.5M to spread out in raises to Smid, Paajarvi, Gagner, and Hartikainen, to find a backup goalie and to fill out 1-2 bottom of the roster forwards and 1-2 bottom of the roster defensemen for the 6/7 spots. If you assume Gagner gets $4M, Smid gets $3.75M and Hartikainen and Paajarvi make about a million more than they did this year combined, the Oilers will still be more than $8M under the cap to add 4-5 filler spots. And that's with Horcoff still on the books. If they buy him out, they'll have all kinds of money at their disposal, but the key is finding guys to give it to. It's nice to say "we'll just sign Getzlaf as a UFA with the money we save", but that doesn't account for the fact that the Getzlaf's of the world also have a say in that and may not want to come here.

01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Moose Coleman

I would be really really surprised if they buy out Horcoff. It's not their style.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I would be really really surprised if they buy out Horcoff. It's not their style.
Depending on how well Smid, Hartikainen, and Gagner play this season, they may have to.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Toydarian

I am pretty concerned EDM won't buy out Horcoff's contract, simply because he has been "a good soldier" despite the fact his contract WILL severely hinder this team over the following seasons.

Toydarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I am pretty concerned EDM won't buy out Horcoff's contract, simply because he has been "a good soldier" despite the fact his contract WILL severely hinder this team over the following seasons.
Getting bought out isn't the end of the world. He could end up making more money. There is a reason the NHLPA fought for it.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Getting bought out isn't the end of the world. He could end up making more money. There is a reason the NHLPA fought for it.
But it is then end of the road for Horcoff as an Oiler (most likely).

Toydarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
misfit

One other interesting note about the buyouts is that teams can use them in either 2013 or 2014. That means that even if the Oilers don't use it to buyout Horcoff next year, they could still buy out the final year of his deal the following season.

Also, the Oilers buying out Horcoff's contract has nothing to do with admitting they were wrong in signing him in the first place. Yes, he fell well short of what they expected, but they didn't expect him to be a $5.5M player in the final 2 years of his deal in the first place. I think there's still a very good chance they use the buyout option on him, it just might not be until the 2014 offseason.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

If the Oilers lose Smid, Gagner or Harti because they don't buy out Horcoff I'll lose my marbles.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:34 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Quote:
But it is then end of the road for Horcoff as an Oiler (most likely).
They tried to buy out Moreau, so it's not like it has happened before to good soliders. Everyone's run as an Oiler has to end sooner or later.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Fourier

Quote:
One other interesting note about the buyouts is that teams can use them in either 2013 or 2014. That means that even if the Oilers don't use it to buyout Horcoff next year, they could still buy out the final year of his deal the following season.

Also, the Oilers buying out Horcoff's contract has nothing to do with admitting they were wrong in signing him in the first place. Yes, he fell well short of what they expected, but they didn't expect him to be a $5.5M player in the final 2 years of his deal in the first place. I think there's still a very good chance they use the buyout option on him, it just might not be until the 2014 offseason.
I think they will wait until 2014 to decide on Horcoff unless they are in a position to sign a big contract FA or unless they make a trade that adds salary.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Quote:
I am almost positive that they will not. After listening to tambellini speak yesterday and then hearing stauffer talk about it, it really doesnt seem like they will.

I bet they do in the summer. He will be part of the team this year.

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:

I agree, 2014 would be most likely. Especially with his actual salary dropping each year, the buyout amount would be further reduced by waiting an extra year.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:09 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
I am almost positive that they will not. After listening to tambellini speak yesterday and then hearing stauffer talk about it, it really doesnt seem like they will.

I bet they do in the summer. He will be part of the team this year.
You can't buy him out until the summer anyway.