HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Sign Subban

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Well it looks like it has to be either a 1 year deal, or a max of 4 M per year, otherwise the NHL won't approve the deal under the tagging rules:

https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/sta...64991542190082

Quote:
Other tidbits will see the upper limit increase after March 1 for all you @capgeek out there by 10% for tagging purposes.......
March 1 is obviously too late. Subban at like 5 M per year means our cap commitments in 2013-14 exceed the 64.3 M salary cap for now. That would mean a rejected contract under the tagging rules.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Sounds pretty positive according to this article anyway.

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/canadiens...subban-8012013

Old
01-08-2013, 11:11 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
In a fantasy world, all of these guys would play the amount of games, and the level of physicality we expect from the NHL for the love of it, and not for money. The same fantasy world would have the owners pay for the fans to come and see the teams play.

If you do not see Subban as the type of player that you build around, and just send him off to another team, then I believe you are not building towards something, just against something.
"push comes to shove" means there is an impasse. I hope he signs!

Old
01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
The thing is I've learned to realize over the years about "journalists" or columnists or what have you (Bertrand Raymond, Tremblay, Tony Marinaro etc) is they feed an audience in Quebec that (unfortunately) predominantly likes hockey for the soap opera factor. They feed on controversy, and love that reality TV stuff etc. Call it the lance et compte syndrome if you will. You just have to ignore it and get your actual hockey info elsewhere.

And to touch on what was said above, the good ones aren't the ones who stand out.
To be fair, it's not just in Qc. Maybe it is when speaking of hockey players, but that's because hockey is huge here. Just look at the paparazzis hovering over celebrities in the States. Hockey players are our stars in Mtl. So, despite not agreeing with it, or not sharing the interest, I can understand that some people get excited when they see a hockey player in the streets, or wtv.
What I don't understand is when so called experts discuss hockey related subjects (like players) and are completely, but completely way off. That's not stirring controversy, that's just being flat out wrong.
Imagine a TV station about real estate, and the experts on certain shows gave out bad ideas and opinions. What do you think would happen to them and their shows??
For some reason, it's accepted for the hockey related shows. I just don't get it.

I would love nothing more to listen to shows where people are actually bringing up interesting facts, and discussing various opinions intelligently. Heck, I'm sure we could round up a group of 10 posters from here and create a much more informative and interesting show than the garbage out there. Sadly, that'll never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
Pk is doing what is best for PK, not the HABS, or he would already be signed. Plain and simple. Super cool his daddy is a Habs fan but what does that have to do with the fact he's not signed? Agrue away, but the fact is he wanted to see what the new CBA would get him. I would do the same but please realize PK understands he is an asset so should the owners. Push came to shove? I'd pich him heavily to NYR.
Well in that case, why don't all the players just sign to the lowest possible salary they can get and make sure we only get to the cap flooring??
That's ridiculous, PK is not only our best player and most promising star, but he's also a cash cow for the Habs. He's so easily marketable and must bring the Habs a ton of cash outside his performance. If he wants 5M, he's entitled to it.
I mean really, what is the discussion about here, if PK is worth 4 or 5M? Give him what he wants.
This guy is saying how much he loves it here, wants to play here, was drafted here, was a fan of the habs his whole life, he's already a huge star, possibly a superstar, and hopefully even play his whole career here, and we're arguing about 1-2M??? That's pathetic.

Trading PK is not an option. The Habs will always lose this trade unless the return is a massive over payment, and I don't see that happening. Even if in terms of skill the players are similar in the event of a trade, I'm willing to bet anything that the return will not have the charisma or marketability of PK, so Habs will end up losing cash over it.

Last edited by Kriss E: 01-08-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
"push comes to shove" means there is an impasse. I hope he signs!
Push comes to shove, you get shoved and sign him.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:30 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Push comes to shove, you get shoved and sign him.
You have defeated me once again!

Old
01-08-2013, 11:41 AM
RC51

did I hear right on le match last night? Subban wants 6 years at 6 mil per???

Old
01-08-2013, 11:41 AM
SeriousHabs

PK: Yo Bergevin, I want whatever Doughty is making!

Bergevin: And I want the evidence of my own goal removed from the universe. Ain't happening homie.

PK: Well you will simply have to do without my swag! You will respect my demands, because I am the boss.

Molson: Let me handle this one Bergy. Listen son, we just locked out your butts for 4 months. I am more than willing to extend your leave without pay for the rest of the season. You are an RFA and I am your daddy!

PK: You wouldn't dare. Do you know who I am?

Molson: Son, I am Canada's beer lord, and I am not so secretly tanking the Habs this season. You ain't nothing like Doughty and your blackmail attemps are laughable. You want money and I am the only one who can give it to you. Son, who is your daddy?

PK: Let me get my agent...

Molson: I SAID, WHO IS YOUR DADDY?!

PK: Y...You are, sir.

Molson: 2 years, 4M$/per. Eat it.

-----

This is how it will happen.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:45 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
PK: Yo Bergevin, I want whatever Doughty is making!

Bergevin: And I want the evidence of my own goal removed from the universe. Ain't happening homie.

PK: Well you will simply have to do without my swag! You will respect my demands, because I am the boss.

Molson: Let me handle this one Bergy. Listen son, we just locked out your butts for 4 months. I am more than willing to extend your leave without pay for the rest of the season. You are an RFA and I am your daddy!

PK: You wouldn't dare. Do you know who I am?

Molson: Son, I am Canada's beer lord, and I am not so secretly tanking the Habs this season. You ain't nothing like Doughty and your blackmail attemps are laughable. You want money and I am the only one who can give it to you. Son, who is your daddy?

PK: Let me get my agent...

Molson: I SAID, WHO IS YOUR DADDY?!

PK: Y...You are, sir.

Molson: 2 years, 4M$/per. Eat it.

-----

This is how it will happen.
racist.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Just to name a few, MAG, Labbé, Lavoie, Chaumont, Lefrançois.

Yes, they do. They don't have any "hidden agenda". The journalists hate is way overblown. There are a few guys who have too much attention when they shouldn't, like Morissette and Tremblay, but they aren't journalists.
Labbé is a friggin moron who was right smack in the middle of the infamous darkest day in Habs history and made such a big fuss when we got Ramo and got rid of Cedrik Desjardins, that article showed such a huge bias and reaction on such a ludicrous issue.

Chaumont constantly makes mistakes in his articles, and constantly lets his opinion color his writings. Often repeats the same absolutisms that colors most of them. He's cut from the same cloth as the Poissant, Raymond, DeFoy of this world.

I can count on a single hand the truly professional hockey journalists in Montreal. And I still have place to count some more.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
There probably isn't any problem with your hearing. The problem is the source you refer to.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Bergy already all but said they are going to stand firm on it being a 2 year deal.
Bergevin is trying to implement a contractual team structure and I fully support him. If it was good enough for Pacioretty and Price, it's good enough for Subban imo.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
found your problem...

edit: ozy beat me to it already

Old
01-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
To be fair, it's not just in Qc. Maybe it is when speaking of hockey players, but that's because hockey is huge here. Just look at the paparazzis hovering over celebrities in the States. Hockey players are our stars in Mtl. So, despite not agreeing with it, or not sharing the interest, I can understand that some people get excited when they see a hockey player in the streets, or wtv.
What I don't understand is when so called experts discuss hockey related subjects (like players) and are completely, but completely way off. That's not stirring controversy, that's just being flat out wrong.
Imagine a TV station about real estate, and the experts on certain shows gave out bad ideas and opinions. What do you think would happen to them and their shows??
For some reason, it's accepted for the hockey related shows. I just don't get it.

I would love nothing more to listen to shows where people are actually bringing up interesting facts, and discussing various opinions intelligently. Heck, I'm sure we could round up a group of 10 posters from here and create a much more informative and interesting show than the garbage out there. Sadly, that'll never happen.

You and me both. Though I've come across some that do.

The reason they do it is because it sells. The majority of the population doesn't care about coaching systems, team defense, statistics, you name it...They like this crap. That's why they do it.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Malreg

Darren Dreger said this morning on TSN690 that he has heard that PK is looking for "Doughty-like" numbers... As in 8 years $7 million a year.

I wasn't nervous about the contract situation until I heard that...

Old
01-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
Darren Dreger said this morning on TSN690 that he has heard that PK is looking for "Doughty-like" numbers... As in 8 years $7 million a year.

PK can get that kind of money if he first agrees to a 2 year deal and keeps improving. Bergevin i'm sure will give him that after

Old
01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Bergevin is trying to implement a contractual team structure and I fully support him. If it was good enough for Pacioretty and Price, it's good enough for Subban imo.
I have no problem with have a structure. I disagree however with PK being on par with MaxPac and Price.
I already made several posts explaining why, but in a nutshell, MaxPac had not proved anything after his ELC and he was coming back from a massive injury where his life was almost at risk, so it made sense for him to get a short term deal to prove himself.
As for Price, he had showed good and bad things, potential was a key word. He was overplayed by back up Halak that had become the Hero here, he only won 13 games that season. So, it made sense for him not to get that big of a deal. Thankfully, he bounced back with a career year playing in 72 games.

PK on the other hand had an amazing rookie year, and some like to say he didn't have that great of a season last year, but I disagree. He had a rougher time during some games, but he was still solid. So, I don't think he's at all on par with where those guys were after their ELC. He's ahead of them both. So, only fair he gets more.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
PK can get that kind of money if he first agrees to a 2 year deal and keeps improving. Bergevin i'm sure will give him that after
He ain't Doughty, for an offense first dman he had 7 goals last year. This situation is taking an ugly turn. If he is demanding that kind of cash we might have a problem.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post

Meanwhile Meehan's assistant Perno, who's in contact with Bergevin, said both side would agree to a 4year deal.

One thing I didn't miss was all the crap rumors left and right.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Meanwhile Meehan's assistant Perno, who's in contact with Bergevin, said both side would agree to a 4year deal.

One thing I didn't miss was all the crap rumors left and right.
Wouldn't a 4 year deal take him to UFA?

Old
01-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
He ain't Doughty, for an offense first dman he had 7 goals last year. This situation is taking an ugly turn. If he is demanding that kind of cash we might have a problem.
Both players have scored 21 goals over the past 2 complete seasons. Doughty has had only 2 more points in the past 2 years. They are very close offensively

Old
01-08-2013, 12:33 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Both players have scored 21 goals over the past 2 complete seasons. Doughty has had only 2 more points in the past 2 years. They are very close offensively
Doughty brings more to the game, he is defense first with a solid offense. Then you add in the leadership aspects that PK is obviously lacking.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
I have no problem with have a structure. I disagree however with PK being on par with MaxPac and Price.
I already made several posts explaining why, but in a nutshell, MaxPac had not proved anything after his ELC and he was coming back from a massive injury where his life was almost at risk, so it made sense for him to get a short term deal to prove himself.
As for Price, he had showed good and bad things, potential was a key word. He was overplayed by back up Halak that had become the Hero here, he only won 13 games that season. So, it made sense for him not to get that big of a deal. Thankfully, he bounced back with a career year playing in 72 games.

PK on the other hand had an amazing rookie year, and some like to say he didn't have that great of a season last year, but I disagree. He had a rougher time during some games, but he was still solid. So, I don't think he's at all on par with where those guys were after their ELC. He's ahead of them both. So, only fair he gets more.
I also think that Subban is ahead of Pacioretty in terms of his contribution to the team at this age but I am not sure regarding Price to be honest.

Also we should not undervalue the importance of the word "team" in "contractual team structure". The whole concept is not just about money imo: if you want to play with Montreal, you will need to put the team first... that kind of thing. A good example would be Hossa, a few years ago, signing for slightly less than his market value in an effort to respect Detroit's contractual team structure.

Subban is, by far, one of my favorite players but if he refuses to accept the team structure, I would be willing to ship him out of town. Subban must not forget that this contractual team structure's main objective is to build a contender. The question is not "Does the team see me in its future"; it is "Is Subban willing to make a sacrifice in an effort to build a contender"... imo!

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 12:38 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I also think that Subban is ahead of Pacioretty in terms of his contribution to the team at this age but I am not sure regarding Price to be honest.

Also we should not undervalue the importance of the word "team" in "contractual team structure". The whole concept is not just about money imo: if you want to play with Montreal, you will need to put the team first... that kind of thing. A good example would be Hossa, a few years ago, signing for slightly less than his market value in an effort to respect Detroit's contractual team structure.

Subban is, by far, one of my favorite players but if he refuses to accept the team structure, I would be willing to ship him out of town. Subban must not forget that this contractual team structure main objective is to build a contender. The question is not "Does the team see me in its future"; it is "Is Subban willing to make a sacrifice in an effort to build a contender"... imo!
Also, some fans should try to remember that Subban is not the best player in the league and that he is not essential to our success. Subban is an RFA, thus his loss would be compensated.

He can go to Hell if he really wants a 50M$+ contract.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Also, some fans should try to remember that Subban is not the best player in the league and that he is not essential to our success. Subban is an RFA, thus his loss would be compensated.

He can go to Hell if he really wants a 50M$+ contract.
He is essential to our success. He is our #1 D and only 23 yo.

You don't let go this kind of asset.

Closed Thread