HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Emergency Trade: Isles-Yotes

Old
01-08-2013, 07:30 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Nielsen is an important component to our team an unless overpayment he is most likely staying on Long Island.

He is one of the older players on our roster who is a leader on the ice. He plays the PP and kills penalties and plays good five on five hockey. He is a perfect third line center.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Rutkowski

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Nielsen eh? Gormley will look good in Islanders blue
That's not much of an emergency trade though, is it?

Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
So if I put emergency in front of the title, is it acceptable for me to plug in Horcoff or Hemsky in exchange for Hedman or Ohlund?
Not sure what you are implying. Is this not a fair trade?

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:23 AM
mitchy22

I'd rather just give Donovan a shot and hold on to one of our forward prospects with size who can actually skate and is producing in his first AHL season (which tends to be a good sign.)

I'm sick of having a small team. We play in very tough division that is made tougher by the current makeup of the Islanders. We play against more than a few teams with larger size down the middle and very strong 1-2 punches in the East.

The more larger, decent skating players we have that can slot behind Tavares, the better off we'll be. For the guys that can't hack center, they'll end up on the wings. If we end up with Nielsen penciled in as our 3rd line center, we'll need even more size on the wings. Because of our needs, I don't see us being too quick to trade larger forward prospects until we end up with a glut. We don't end up with a glut until some are performing in the NHL blocking others from arriving. Right now, we don't have any doing so. We've got a couple of players performing well at Bridgeport. Let's wait until things trickle up and we can tell what we truly have. Either that, or trade for more of a sure thing. Another prospect is not the way to go, even if a prospect is closer to ready. We may as well go with our own, hence why I mention Donovan.

I think we all had a prospect penciled in for this season at defense because of the lack of one more addition. With de Haan injured yet again, that leaves us with something like this (and potentially two prospects making the NHL club):

Streit
Hamonic
AMac
Carkner
Donovan
Ness

At most, I see us adding a sizable bottom pairing guy if Visnovsky doesn't report, unless the team continues to deplete Bridgeport instead of adding up top. Still, adding a bottom pairing guy will be a lot easier than all of a sudden finding a top-4 defender or trying to find a better prospect (which isn't really the fix we should be going out of our way looking for.) No reason to swap prospects like this; it's not like we don't have any prospects at defense and a few that should pan out with size and skill.

If Garth is doing his job, and allowed to spend any money on this season at all, he'll keep his ears open and put out some feelers out on available legitimate defenders for NYI's sake. Considering how this team has operated recently, we may end up simply seeing us gut Bridgeport and add from the ECHL to the AHL instead. I don't think we're going to see a sudden addition of an impact player for the current squad. We're more likely to see payroll increase for next season, not the upcoming one. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

In the meantime, I don't see us rushing to do anything other than add depth or a high cap/moderate salary defender to the NHL squad. We'll probably add some depth to the AHL squad if we pick them apart instead.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1121 View Post
Lol, Turris is pretty much a bust. Terrible stats for his sheltered minutes in Ottawa.
What the FLIP are you talking about? Turris had, quite literally, the least sheltered minutes of any forward on the team who played over 10 games. That includes Spezza and Alfie.

He was the LEAST SHELTERED FORWARD. On the whole team. The least. Entire team. You could have called Kyle Turris a goalie, and it would have been just as wrong as what you actually said.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I'd rather just give Donovan a shot and hold on to one of our forward prospects with size who can actually skate and is producing in his first AHL season (which tends to be a good sign.)

I'm sick of having a small team. We play in very tough division that is made tougher by the current makeup of the Islanders. We play against more than a few teams with larger size down the middle and very strong 1-2 punches in the East.

The more larger, decent skating players we have that can slot behind Tavares, the better off we'll be. For the guys that can't hack center, they'll end up on the wings. If we end up with Nielsen penciled in as our 3rd line center, we'll need even more size on the wings. Because of our needs, I don't see us being too quick to trade larger forward prospects until we end up with a glut. We don't end up with a glut until some are performing in the NHL blocking others from arriving. Right now, we don't have any doing so. We've got a couple of players performing well at Bridgeport. Let's wait until things trickle up and we can tell what we truly have. Either that, or trade for more of a sure thing. Another prospect is not the way to go, even if a prospect is closer to ready. We may as well go with our own, hence why I mention Donovan.

I think we all had a prospect penciled in for this season at defense because of the lack of one more addition. With de Haan injured yet again, that leaves us with something like this (and potentially two prospects making the NHL club):

Streit
Hamonic
AMac
Carkner
Donovan
Ness

At most, I see us adding a sizable bottom pairing guy if Visnovsky doesn't report, unless the team continues to deplete Bridgeport instead of adding up top. Still, adding a bottom pairing guy will be a lot easier than all of a sudden finding a top-4 defender or trying to find a better prospect (which isn't really the fix we should be going out of our way looking for.) No reason to swap prospects like this; it's not like we don't have any prospects at defense and a few that should pan out with size and skill.

If Garth is doing his job, and allowed to spend any money on this season at all, he'll keep his ears open and put out some feelers out on available legitimate defenders for NYI's sake. Considering how this team has operated recently, we may end up simply seeing us gut Bridgeport and add from the ECHL to the AHL instead. I don't think we're going to see a sudden addition of an impact player for the current squad. We're more likely to see payroll increase for next season, not the upcoming one. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

In the meantime, I don't see us rushing to do anything other than add depth or a high cap/moderate salary defender to the NHL squad. We'll probably add some depth to the AHL squad if we pick them apart instead.

Mitch
I think what you said is very realistic, and I even mentioned that in my OP(the Isles just signing some fill-in vet from the scrap heap rather than making a trade like this, or even a trade for an established defender), I just figured I'd go a little out of the box with this one.

Right now, as is, Donovan seems like a lock. I'd also expect Wishart to be ahead of Ness on the depth chart, although that could change at camp. I understand guys like Strome/Nelson/Cizikas/Sundstrom haven't proven anything yet, but from everything I've seen/read to this point, it appears the Isles plan on running with Strome as their 2C of the future(and possibly the present), making Nelson a bit more expendable, IMO. While guys like Nelson have a ton of value right now, it's very possible that come next offseason his value could be cut in half with a poor NHL appearance or a slump in Bridgeport(just look at Nino, even with his success this year). I don't think selling high on a prospect is necessarily a bad thing, especially when you are relatively strong at said prospect's position, whether or not Strome or any other center prospect has proven anything at the NHL level.

IMO, it all comes down to how you feel about Rundblad. Personally I think he's closer to Karlsson than he is a guy like MAB. Because of that, it really doesn't matter how good Nelson turns out, as long as we get the guy we want in Rundblad that is all that matters(and personally, I don't see this uber-ceiling for Brock. I think he can be a quality 2C if all goes well, but that isn't necessarily an untradeable player). Either way, none of this matters because it won't happen. I'm sure they will go the "play with what we've got" route or sign another Staios. Hopefully whatever route they choose works out.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:58 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
What the FLIP are you talking about? Turris had, quite literally, the least sheltered minutes of any forward on the team who played over 10 games. That includes Spezza and Alfie.

He was the LEAST SHELTERED FORWARD. On the whole team. The least. Entire team. You could have called Kyle Turris a goalie, and it would have been just as wrong as what you actually said.
Yeah, sheltered minutes or not(haven't looked at the stat sheet), Turris looked like one of, if not the best Ottawa forward in the playoffs. Guy was all over the place.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:16 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
That's not much of an emergency trade though, is it?
Define "emergency trade"

But really, we'll either roll with Donovan and Ness or sign one of the pylons sitting at home. Even if Strome comes in and takes over the second line center position, we are still without a fourth top four defenseman. Without another offensive defenseman like Vis rounding out the top four, there is no reason to play Strome in my opinion or trade a valuable asset such as an Ullstrom or Nelson type prospect for an average defenseman.

Vis really ****ed up our plans, because this was the year we were supposed to challenge for that eight spot. We resigned Nabby, Strome could probably step in, and we brought in Carkner. Now we have no Vis, and this is probably Nabby's last year as a starter. Why bother bringing Strome into this mess?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

What would it take to get Frans Nielsen to Phoenix?

One of Morris or Klesla? Add a pick or D prospect (Schlemko, Summers, Stone, etc.) as well?

I don't want to move any of those players, but Nielsen would go a long way toward curing what ails us.

01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What would it take to get Frans Nielsen to Phoenix?
Trading Nielsen for an established D man would patch the Isles defenseman problem, but would subsequently tear open a huge hole at center. The Isles can't afford to deal away Nielsen.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
binx bolling

Quote:

Streit
Hamonic
AMac
Carkner
Donovan
Ness

Mitch
God I hope not. Many in islander country are high on Donovan but he is not ready for the NHL. At best, he's a mid tier prospect with 2nd PP potential and bottom pairing in a few years.

Really hope Garth lets him develop into at least that. I'm fine with Ness and a burner in the staois/mottua mold. The isles are at straight aiming for 14/15th place.

binx bolling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx bolling View Post
God I hope not. Many in islander country are high on Donovan but he is not ready for the NHL. At best, he's a mid tier prospect with 2nd PP potential and bottom pairing in a few years.

Really hope Garth lets him develop into at least that. I'm fine with Ness and a burner in the staois/mottua mold. The isles are at straight aiming for 14/15th place.
Wow. Talk about being overly cautious. Donovan is 22 years old, was drafted the same year as Hamonic(who is going on his 3rd NHL season) and has spent over a year and a half in the AHL where he's been one of Bridgeport's top defensemen. What will it take for him to be ready, in your opinion?

BTW, you are completely selling him short if you think bottom-pairing/2nd PP QB is a best-case scenario.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
leeroggy

Last year on this site I proposed Bailey for Gormley. Is that a possibility?

leeroggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:23 PM
DesertDawg

I don't see an emergency. The Isles will be better off finding a d-man from a team trying to reduce their payroll, not from the Coyotes, who'll expect a great return.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
original islander

Quote:

Streit
Hamonic
AMac
Carkner
Donovan
Ness

Mitch
Think you're right about not trading our forward prospects right now. The only tweak I would make on your post is that I would consider Ty Wishart as a possible 6/7 instead of Ness as he brings a little more size to the table. Probably would be his last chance so he should be motivated.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Last year on this site I proposed Bailey for Gormley. Is that a possibility?
Bailey has yet to score 40 points. Gormley is one of the best D prospects out there, so I'd say no.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
binx bolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Wow. Talk about being overly cautious. Donovan is 22 years old, was drafted the same year as Hamonic(who is going on his 3rd NHL season) and has spent over a year and a half in the AHL where he's been one of Bridgeport's top defensemen. What will it take for him to be ready, in your opinion?

BTW, you are completely selling him short if you think bottom-pairing/2nd PP QB is a best-case scenario.
I'm not impressed. I see a Campoli II there. He's been shaky in the bridge and would be pressed at 12+ minutes if he made it to the island this year. Hell, the whole defense has been weak once Hamonic went out. Plain and simple, he needs seasoning.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Binx bolling's opinion on Donovan: bottom pairing potential in a few years

Pronman's opinion on Donovan: potential #3 nhl d-man.

Hmmm...I'm gonna give Pronman's opinion more weight.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Bailey has yet to score 40 points. Gormley is one of the best D prospects out there, so I'd say no.
Bailey finished very strong last year: 6 goals and 11 assists in his last 19 games. He was playing out of his best NHL position most of his career and when he was moved to wing he started producing nicely.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:53 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I'm not impressed. I see a Campoli II there. He's been shaky in the bridge and would be pressed at 12+ minutes if he made it to the island this year. Hell, the whole defense has been weak once Hamonic went out. Plain and simple, he needs seasoning.
I think the isles went too young on their team to start Bridgeport's season. Then they lost the very steady Cal De Haan just a few games into the season.

The injury to Hamonic didn't help.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Unless we are willing to sign Campoli I or give away assets to aquire someone else, then the Visnovsky problem is forcing our hand to give a spot to either Donovon or Rienhart.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:58 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Unless we are willing to sign Campoli I or give away assets to aquire someone else, then the Visnovsky problem is forcing our hand to give a spot to either Donovon or Rienhart.
Martinek's skating on LI, with some of the current islanderrs.

Staples thinks he'll get a camp invite.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

That's actually good news. When healthy Radek's always been effective. Have to admit that I completely forgot about him.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
binx bolling

Quote:

Makes sense and I bet he plays for us. And then injures himself in some horrific way. I love Marty. Luck hates him though.

Either way the isles are nurse sharks this year. I'd rather Donovan get another year in the bridge, some success down their with Nino/Brock/UPS and have a go at the big club next year. We've rushed too many prospects already.

Last edited by binx bolling: 01-08-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: sense making
Old
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
leeroggy

Quote:

Besides Radek, what about looking at Redden if he is bought out? Are there any special financial issues with doing that? I have no idea how he played in the AHL but for a one-year stop gap to give the kids one more year in Bridgeport wouldn't it make sense to look at him too?