HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion Pt. Deux (Lesnar rumors)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
BGDDYKWL

vCash: 500
Tyson Fury (Apparently he's an up and coming heavyweight boxer) has been talking all kinds of trash about Cain on twitter, going so far as challenging him to an MMA fight. Now if this is simply chatter to get his name out there then so be it, but if he honestly believes what he's saying boy I'd love to see Cain bury him. So far it seems it has been completely ignored (which is probably the best thing).

Old
01-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Kitten Mittons

Publicity stunt since he knows it'll never happen. Which sucks, I would've loved to see it.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I doubt it. He can make more money fighting MMA than boxing. He'll fight MMA again regardless of what happens vs Glover IMO.
Yea true enough, Rampage is all about the money so he's probably not too likely to test himself at boxing unless the pay is good. Although Rampage is a pretty big name around the fight world so it wouldn't surprise me if he could get a "big" payday in some sort of boxing promotion.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Tyson Fury (Apparently he's an up and coming heavyweight boxer) has been talking all kinds of trash about Cain on twitter, going so far as challenging him to an MMA fight. Now if this is simply chatter to get his name out there then so be it, but if he honestly believes what he's saying boy I'd love to see Cain bury him. So far it seems it has been completely ignored (which is probably the best thing).
The squeaky wheel. Fury has been calling out Klitschko for a while to no avail. Maybe he sees a trend with the UFC rewarding Sonnen, now Diaz to a lesser extent. He throws his hat into the ring and who knows. Would really like to see that fight.

Aside but the Brit HW boxers are pretty obnoxious... Haye, Chisora,.. now the aptly named furious fury mcfurrison.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
The squeaky wheel. Fury has been calling out Klitschko for a while to no avail. Maybe he sees a trend with the UFC rewarding Sonnen, now Diaz to a lesser extent. He throws his hat into the ring and who knows. Would really like to see that fight.

Aside but the Brit HW boxers are pretty obnoxious... Haye, Chisora,.. now the aptly named furious fury mcfurrison.
Fury actually considers himself Irish despite being born in England. He's from an Irish travelling family (Gypsy's) who have a long history of bare knuckle boxing. The guy's a moron and probably does believe he can beat Cain. He's been calling out the Klit bros for awhile now despite having never beaten top level competition to earn a shot. He's massive and has power but is slow and his technical skills aren't the best. Either Klitschko would destroy him. Cain would take him down and pound him out within a minute or two.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:30 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
The fight at welterweight I want to see has to be Marquardt vs Rory/Condit winner. That'd be a great fight either way.

It'd be interesting to see Rory being the smaller guy for once. Or at least I'd think he'd be smaller.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Fury actually considers himself Irish despite being born in England. He's from an Irish travelling family (Gypsy's) who have a long history of bare knuckle boxing. The guy's a moron and probably does believe he can beat Cain. He's been calling out the Klit bros for awhile now despite having never beaten top level competition to earn a shot. He's massive and has power but is slow and his technical skills aren't the best. Either Klitschko would destroy him. Cain would take him down and pound him out within a minute or two.
Who knew...
I've not seen him fight yet. 20 pro fights wants to take on the champ.

Wants a pay day.

Old
01-05-2013, 05:53 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
The fight at welterweight I want to see has to be Marquardt vs Rory/Condit winner. That'd be a great fight either way.
I think that's exactly what'll happen with Hendricks getting GSP assuming he gets past Ellenberger.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:07 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I think that's exactly what'll happen with Hendricks getting GSP assuming he gets past Ellenberger.
I would think so, which is exciting.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
^ I hope that all happens. Would be some great WW fights and it would be interesting to see if Marquardt could get to the point where he'd have to fight GSP.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Bellator is suing Eddie Alvarez

He was just on the MMA Hour with Ariel.

Interview cliff notes:

Quote:
-Bellator did not match

-They are suing Eddie

-Eddie cant say much else due to lawsuit

Bjork Rebney strikes again!
What a joke.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
I Am Beat You

Bellator did match, at least that's what Bjorn claims. Court will determine whether or not Bellator's offer truly matches that of the UFC's.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Bjorn Rebney says they did match (except for the PPV bonus):

Quote:
"I will tell you point blank, no questions asked, we matched it dollar for dollar, term for term and section for section," he said. "To avoid any kind of ambiguity, let me make clear, we took the UFC contract, we took it out of the PDF format, we changed the name 'UFC' to 'Bellator' and we signed it. We didn't alter a word, we didn't alter a phrase, we didn't alter a section, we didn't alter a dollar figure."

Then how can it be that such a discrepancy between the two sides would arise? As far as Rebney can tell, Alvarez's issue comes from the projected dollar figures he could earn from the UFC's pay-per-view bonus structure.

"There is no guaranteed pay-per-view in the UFC offer to Eddie Alvarez," he says emphatically. "We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."
Rebney also had no problem giving out some details of the offer:

Quote:
The main bullet points of the 40-page UFC offer to Alvarez was a $250,000 signing bonus and a $70,000 fight purse with a $70,000 win bonus for his first fight, with salaries escalating over the life of the deal. The contract was to cover a span of 40 months or eight fights, whichever occurred earlier.
Full story here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/7/...s-ufc-offer-we

Bellator is suing Alvarez and Alvarez is suing Bellator. I guess this is what Dana meant when he said it's going to get ugly.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
DeathFromAbove

The UFC can't get guarantee PPV sales, theoretically it's possible they sell 0 and Alvarez's cut won't matter. I've got to side with Bjorn on this one.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:38 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
The UFC can't get guarantee PPV sales, theoretically it's possible they sell 0 and Alvarez's cut won't matter. I've got to side with Bjorn on this one.
Disagree. There is enough precedence from the UFC selling PPVs to show that there is value there. How they can figure out how much is a different story. It's certainly not 0 though.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:21 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Disagree. There is enough precedence from the UFC selling PPVs to show that there is value there. How they can figure out how much is a different story. It's certainly not 0 though.
What formula would a court use to determine the real value of it though? And who's to say a Bellator PPV headlined by Alvarez wouldn't sell a lot of PPV? There's too many hypotheticals. If Bellator has truly copy & pasted the UFC contract then I don't see how a judge can rule that it isn't a match.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
What formula would a court use to determine the real value of it though? And who's to say a Bellator PPV headlined by Alvarez wouldn't sell a lot of PPV? There's too many hypotheticals. If Bellator has truly copy & pasted the UFC contract then I don't see how a judge can rule that it isn't a match.
Was the UFC PPV revenue part of the contract? If that's the case, then there's the argument that Bellator can't simply offer Alverez Bellator PPV revenue because it doesn't exist.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:07 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Was the UFC PPV revenue part of the contract? If that's the case, then there's the argument that Bellator can't simply offer Alverez Bellator PPV revenue because it doesn't exist.
The UFC offered Alvarez a percentage of PPV revenue. Bellator PPV not existing shouldn't be an issue. If they don't put him on a PPV by the end of the contract then it would be a breach and would be dealt with accordingly (no different than them not paying him his signing bonus or whatever). The point is that they matched the contract.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
m9

Quote:
I just said I have no idea how they would figure it out. But you can't act like getting a cut of a UFC PPV is worth a) nothing or worth b) the same percentage as a Bellator PPV. It's not.

It will come down to how the contract is worded. Since Bellator has only been around for a few years I'm guessing going in they knew exactly how UFC contracts were worded and will have covered their a$$es to make sure that they would have protection in this kind of scenario.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 PM
m9

Quote:
The UFC offered Alvarez a percentage of PPV revenue. Bellator PPV not existing shouldn't be an issue. If they don't put him on a PPV by the end of the contract then it would be a breach and would be dealt with accordingly (no different than them not paying him his signing bonus or whatever). The point is that they matched the contract.
Again, unless you know how the contract is written you don't know that for sure. You can put slimy things in there that theoretically are the same but cannot be matched. Saying 'Bellator PPV not existing shouldn't be an issue' is completely unknown unless you've seen and are able to decipher the contract.

It could be similar to the NFL poison pill thing a few years back between the Seahawks and the Vikings, where for it made it virtually impossible for the other side to 'match' the offer. Who knows at this point.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:48 AM
BGDDYKWL

I'm no expert when it comes to business law (by far the most boring class I've ever taken), but with Bellator currently not offering PPVs (and even if they did it's safe to assume the percentage of revenue would be a mere fraction of what would come from a UFC PPV) this really isn't a "match". Perhaps by the letter of the law, but certainly not in terms of actual $$.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
This^.

If the UFC wanted Alvarez, they should have made an offer that wouldnt be matched.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This^.

If the UFC wanted Alvarez, they should have made an offer that wouldnt be matched.
I agree. Sounds like it's going to be complicated.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:12 AM
BGDDYKWL

Overeem received his license today so the fight with Bigfoot is a go (not that there was really any concern).

Old
01-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
From Steven Marrocco (@MMAJunkieSteven):

Quote:
Update forthcoming to story on Eddie Alvarez's contract: UFC contract reads that it INTENDS to give him title shot and offers PPV points.
Quote:
Key difference is it's not guaranteed, which means Bellator didn't have to match it. Believe me: language important on this stuff.
Quote:
UFC gets an out by saying "we intend" as opposed to "we guarantee," and that's key to Bellator's argument that Eddie is getting same deal.
I guess technically Bellator is right here and they might win this in court but that must suck for Alvarez because it's not the same deal. He's still going to make good money but he's also going to miss out on a lot of PPV money, fight night bonuses, and other bonuses the UFC likes to give out.

Closed Thread