HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 12:38 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Curtis Lazar is having a nightmare of a season. If he's available when we pick (if we pick late) I would probably take a chance on him. Subban in the late 2nd round would be a steal too.
If that's the type of player you can get in the late 1st

May not be an elite offensive talent, but he's a pro player in my books, and he's going to be a very good one.

His point totals, especially PP points would be substantially higher if he wasn't the screen on the PP.

He's so diverse, can play C and RW very well, not the biggest kid, but is strong, and can beat goalies clean with his shots.

I like this kid a ton.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
Hmm...
Stephen Harper just made it into Button's list at 75...
Any info on him?
He's a conservative player, doesn't take too many risks. Some may say he's unspectacular but he does some little things right. He's the type of player who, on any given night will be loved by half the fan base, but vilified by the other half. Makes some questionable decisions, but is a student of the game.

01-07-2013, 12:52 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Subban will go in the top 30 because of his name.
I just can't see it, it's way too deep of a draft to go and take a mid-2nd guy and push him into the 1st.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
If that's the type of player you can get in the late 1st

May not be an elite offensive talent, but he's a pro player in my books, and he's going to be a very good one.

His point totals, especially PP points would be substantially higher if he wasn't the screen on the PP.

He's so diverse, can play C and RW very well, not the biggest kid, but is strong, and can beat goalies clean with his shots.

I like this kid a ton.
Wasn't he originally projected as a possible top 7 pick? Other rankings I see have him in the early teens, but hopefully he continues to fall and we benefit.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Button's updated list is out:http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

As crazy as he was a GM his lists aren't that bad...some crazy points but for the most part not bad
I actually agree with him on this one for a few.

Burakovsky rightfully out of the 1st round.

John Hayden enters the picture for the 3rd round as i thought he would. And I like him more than Fasching as well.

Dano in the mid 2nd.

Nitpicking. But I agree Lazar is a no brainer in the late 1st. I'd have Horvat over Hartman. And Justin Bailey is too low. I like him more than that when he is healthy.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I actually agree with him on this one for a few.

Burakovsky rightfully out of the 1st round.

John Hayden enters the picture for the 3rd round as i thought he would. And I like him more than Fasching as well.

Dano in the mid 2nd.

Nitpicking. But I agree Lazar is a no brainer in the late 1st. I'd have Horvat over Hartman. And Justin Bailey is too low. I like him more than that when he is healthy.
I don't mind his lists.

What I do wonder, is why he seems to like huge, hulking stay at home d-men.

Mitchell Wheaton (only watched 3 games) wasn't that impressive, I actually like Jesse Lees better. He also had the kid from PG pretty high before too (McNulty?).

I don't know how Mirco Muller is a 3rd round pick (and almost 20 spots behind Wheaton), especially after the WJC, the poise and smarts definitely stuck out for me, didn't get a ton of opportunity and got caught up thinking too much at times, but was very safe, smart, and effective.

I'd think he could climb to late 1st status with a good finish to the season.
-------
About Bailey, he's raw and big, but I have a hard time ranking him higher. He doesn't seem too smart, and hasn't put it all together (not even close)....he's a homerun swing to be sure.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:43 PM
LeftCoast

I don't know these kids very well, but overall, does the 2013 draft class look deep, shallow or typical (5 to 10 elite players and a big drop off after that).

Old
01-07-2013, 01:51 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I don't know these kids very well, but overall, does the 2013 draft class look deep, shallow or typical (5 to 10 elite players and a big drop off after that).
top end is great, and its deep.

Been compared to 2003 and 2008.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

This is more 2008 than 2003.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:10 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I think it's probably best to wait at least 5 years before making that claim, this draft seems substantially deeper than 2008 to me anyways. 2008 had a good top 10 and a decent first round, spotty 2nd round.

I think this draft has the potential to have a 2003 like impact on the league.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I remember in another thread you may have compared him to Hodgson IIRC. I can see it, but i think Dano also has a fiestiness that Hodgson has never shown.

I'd take him in the mid to late 2nd. That's no slight on him, its just a deep draft. And its still early.

I put my video on the mainboards if you are interested.
Nice job on the video on the prospect board.

I believe Button has Dano as the biggest riser since his last list and I'm not surprised. The kid looked unbelievable at the WJC's for a draft eligible player.

Even in a strong draft I would be surprised if he's not taken in the 1st round. That combination of skill and fiestiness is tough to find.

Looks like a mix of Hodgson and Baertschi IMO. Cody's smarts, playmaking and shot, with Baertschi's tenacity and grit element.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
thefeebster

I think where he is now is fair. One tournament does not make a player, even though I thought he was excellent given his team and situation.

There's a lot of people who are first round conversation right now and as always, in the back half of the 1st, its always a big group of guys who can go there. I don't think I can make that kind of guarantee (That Dano will go in the 1st) based on a handful of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
About Bailey, he's raw and big, but I have a hard time ranking him higher. He doesn't seem too smart, and hasn't put it all together (not even close)....he's a homerun swing to be sure.
I'll admit he is a bit raw, but i think he was just on the cusp of showing what he is capable of, right before this 2nd injury. He will be a good scorer with the shot he has. Leads Kitchener in +/- from the 2nd/3rd line. A bit under-rated defensively perhaps or pretty damn lucky.

I'd definitely have him over Tolchinsky whom Button has higher. And perhaps over Zach Nastasiuk, but he is endearing with his work effort so i can understand it.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:39 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
He's a conservative player, doesn't take too many risks. Some may say he's unspectacular but he does some little things right. He's the type of player who, on any given night will be loved by half the fan base, but vilified by the other half. Makes some questionable decisions, but is a student of the game.
I can't decide if you are serious, but nicely done.

You really should write scouting reports.

In other words, we know nothing about him...
In the beginning of his career, when he is on the ice, the team will win, if only by a small margin of victory.
Then, after a couple of years, his team will finally breakthrough and win the big one.
Does that sound about right?

One correction:
I do think only his diehard fans love him...
Which is about 40%...
The other 60% would like the team to go into another direction...
But they can't decide who they would rather have, so they tolerate him.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
I can't decide if you are serious, but nicely done.

You really should write scouting reports.

In other words, we know nothing about him...
In the beginning of his career, when he is on the ice, the team will win, if only by a small margin of victory.
Then, after a couple of years, his team will finally breakthrough and win the big one.
Does that sound about right?

One correction:
I do think only his diehard fans love him...
Which is about 40%...
The other 60% would like the team to go into another direction...
But they can't decide who they would rather have, so they tolerate him.
I don't see Pittsburgh drafting him because I think he would clash with an existing defenseman on their roster

Old
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Barkov is next year... correct?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Barkov is next year... correct?
He's a 2013 draftee, this year.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I don't see Pittsburgh drafting him because I think he would clash with an existing defenseman on their roster
Nice.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:

I had to check out Pittsburgh's lineup to understand this reference.

Bravo.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
He'll probably end up in Calgary and become a fan favourite but mysteriously will turn up a healthy scratch in games against Montreal.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:47 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
He'll probably end up in Calgary and become a fan favourite but mysteriously will turn up a healthy scratch in games against Montreal.
And he would be known as Steve, but once he hit the big times, he will change back to Stephen.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I think 2008 was heavier on defensive talent, while this is way more forward-heavy.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:03 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I think 2008 was heavier on defensive talent, while this is way more forward-heavy.
The comparison isn't about who and what position players are available.

Craig Button just touched on this during his TSN.ca draft chat.

Quote:
Craig Button: I see this draft as having similar type as the 2003 draft. By that, I mean specifically that teams will select quality players throughout the 1st round and into the 2nd round.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:07 AM
thefeebster

Welp, figures that with NHL hockey is back, the draft thread is buried.

CSS is posting their Mid season rankings tomorrow. Watch out for it. Any early guesses/predictions? There's always one oddball, they are never high on but everyone else is (Skinner).

Old
01-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Welp, figures that with NHL hockey is back, the draft thread is buried.

CSS is posting their Mid season rankings tomorrow. Watch out for it. Any early guesses/predictions? There's always one oddball, they are never high on but everyone else is (Skinner).
Nic Petan will still not be in the first round despite having 64 points in his last 34 games. Having seen him play, don't care about his size or anything else, he should be going in the late 1st at the very least. Doesn't play his size and has barely and weaknesses, even his defensive game is pretty good already.

Loaded team or not, he's outplaying Rattie and Leipsic. Somebody will get a ridiculous steal if this continues.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:59 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Nic Petan will still not be in the first round despite having 64 points in his last 34 games. Having seen him play, don't care about his size or anything else, he should be going in the late 1st at the very least. Doesn't play his size and has barely and weaknesses, even his defensive game is pretty good already.

Loaded team or not, he's outplaying Rattie and Leipsic. Somebody will get a ridiculous steal if this continues.
I have never heard of this guy. What is he listed at?

Closed Thread