Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When the season begins

Old
01-08-2013, 12:44 PM
OLD51JOHN

vCash: 500
When the season begins

My only concern is making the playoffs.. The regular season is only for entertainment... I enjoy the high scoring games that you see when the players are building their stats...After watching for over 70 years I believe its two seasons and two different kinds of games .. Any team can win the season and not the cup..

OLD51JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD51JOHN View Post
My only concern is making the playoffs.. The regular season is only for entertainment... I enjoy the high scoring games that you see when the players are building their stats...After watching for over 70 years I believe its two seasons and two different kinds of games .. Any team can win the season and not the cup..
so you're not a big fan of the presidents trophy OldJohn?

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:53 PM
VanIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD51JOHN View Post
I personally believe the Bruins are built for a shorter season, extreme depth and a physical game should keep the Bruins rested and in good shape playing 30 or so less games then normal.

I also read somewhere that the Bruins and the Flyers had the most players playing overseas, so most of the top Bruins Seguin, Bergeron, Chara, Rask have already put in time playing so the rust will not be there, whereas Vancouver had only a couple guys overseas, the Sedins didn't play, Kesler is still hurt, and they have a goalie controversy.

70 years is impressive I have only watched about half that, and I can't imagine what the Bruins will look like in the year 2048.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:01 PM
TCL40

I am actually interested to see how the lockout affects various teams. Players who haven't played since last season aren't going to have a weeks long training camp to get back in shape.

Makes me think teams with players who went overseas or young players who player in the non NHL leagues in North America are going to have the advantage-especially with a shortened season.

Although I wonder if the lack of training camp may lead to more injuries for players.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

You're right. I think the 82 game schedule is too long. I understand the revenue aspect of it, and I don't think it will ever be changed, but I wish they would go to a 60 game schedule. Hockey being such a physical game, does not lend itself to being played on back to back nights or three nights out of four, etc. So, in any season, you end up with a whole bunch of games where teams seem to be going through the motions. You only have a handful of games each year that have that "playoff type" atmosphere (last years Vancouver game, to name one). The product isn't always great, but I don't blame the players. It is next to impossible to get up for every game, especially an October game against Columbus, for example. I am hoping that the 48 game season this year will lend to more intense games and more games that really mean something. But ultimately, everyone is just gearing up for the playoffs, and I agree, the game is completely different--full intensity every night. That's really the way hockey was meant to be played.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:40 PM
northeastern

the regular season is as much about getting ready for the playoffs as it is about staying healthy for the playoffs. Get in shape, get some mojo and stay healthy and then the playoffs begin.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:41 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Yup, I'm hoping realignment gets approved and they go back to divisional playoffs because I think that the current format makes the regular season sort of meaningless.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote