HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

if we struggle this year

Old
01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
complain about the reg season all you want [and rightly so, in a lot of instances], but Bryz was the best Flyer vs NJD as they got eliminated.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
complain about the reg season all you want [and rightly so, in a lot of instances], but Bryz was the best Flyer vs NJD as they got eliminated.
Great, he was the best of the worst, awesome, definatley should be kept around because of that series alone. The Penguins series????? If Fluery plays even a period better we are out in the first round. How many goals does our offense need to score to win the game. Defence was horrible but Bryzgalov was worse.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
It doesn't matter who the coach is when you have teams as banged up as the Flyers have been the last two years. Injuries are probably the only legitimate excuse, despite what many choose to believe in these parts. Whether or not Lavi's up-tempo style increases injury risk is certainly worthy of discussion, though.

01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Lavy's personality can wear on players. Like it did with Carter/Richards and a lot of the team a couple seasons ago. He does not change his system at all even if it does not work against a specific team like against Boston and against NJ the past season. Some people blame the goalie, which Bryz did terrible yes, but Lavy's system you have to have forwards that actually play defense because the D's are very active in it. There was very little defensive play from the forwards and Bryz lost all his confidence because of all the odd man rushes against him. As a goalie you have to be confident.

Lavy is a good coach, but he has a very difficult time in changing things up. The biggest thing this season I will be looking at is if the forwards have learned how to get back and play defense because that is the key to his system.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Great, he was the best of the worst, awesome, definatley should be kept around because of that series alone.
the fact that you even say "should be kept around" means you are not living in reality. the was / is ZERO chance that the Flyers would get rid of him after last year.

he is our goalie. period.

and, ALL i'm saying is that [since were are talking about reasons why we were eliminated], in the elimination series, Bryz was not the reason we lost.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
the fact that you even say "should be kept around" means you are not living in reality. the was / is ZERO chance that the Flyers would get rid of him after last year.

he is our goalie. period.

and, ALL i'm saying is that [since were are talking about reasons why we were eliminated], in the elimination series, Bryz was not the reason we lost.
Bryzgalov was part of the reason. Like being blamed entirely, he should not be absolved of any blame. I didnt think the Flyers were going to go any further after the Pittsburgh series anyway.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

i blame him for not getting 3 shutouts.

beyond that, he gets the smallest % of blame compared to every other Flyer in that series, period.

anybody who claims another Flyer had a better series vs NJ is simply seeing something they want to see, not reality.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
The Kings and Bruins both have/had superior goaltending then what the Flyers have.

We have beaten this system topic into the ground enough. Lavi is a good coach. I fail to see why some people around here fail to realize that. I think everyone pretty much agreed that whoever came out of the Flyers/Pens series wasnt making it past the next round. I know you dont want to hear it, but injuries cut down this team last year. I know some think injuries are no excuse but when you have 11 guys go under the knife it says something.
Again I ask if you fire Lavi who do you bring in?
John Stevens?
were you even watching the goaltending in the kings/devils series, quick wasnt that great, the devils almost came back in that series, he had some good saves but he wasnt great, he only had 16 shots against him, when they won it, it was the defense and offense that was the difference maker, plus they were built to win it, the flyers are not built to win it right now, you can blame the goaltending all you want, but how many goalies do they have to go through, to find that it's the whole team and the coaching? you can have best goalies on this team and still have a problem if there's no D

im sorry this is not a win it now team, they are not built to win it, im flyers fan being realistic and not being negative, the reality of this team is that they are going to be in rebuilding mode after this season, they have lost alot on defense plus offense, it's not looking like this team will go anywhere for a while like it or not.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
were you even watching the goaltending in the kings/devils series, quick wasnt that great, the devils almost came back in that series, he had some good saves but he wasnt great, he only had 16 shots against him, when they won it, it was the defense and offense that was the difference maker, plus they were built to win it, the flyers are not built to win it right now, you can blame the goaltending all you want, but how many goalies do they have to go through, to find that it's the whole team and the coaching? you can have best goalies on this team and still have a problem if there's no D
Henrik couldn't make it to the finals with the #1 overall team last year, plugging a stud like him does not guarantee a CUP. gotta be better all around this year regarding TEAM defense

Old
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Henrik couldn't make it to the finals with the #1 overall team last year, plugging a stud like him does not guarantee a CUP. gotta be better all around this year regarding TEAM defense
exactly

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Having a goalie who allowed 2 goals instead of 3 or 4 would have been pretty helpful though...or who stopped more than 88% of shots faced.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

no surprise that Bryz had his best month when the team clamped down defensively

Old
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
spudnick

Quote:
That just shows that he is incapable of stealing a game ala Lundquist, Miller or Quick. When you have a 9 year contract paying you elite goaltender money you are expected to steal games. Bryzgalov can not and has not been able to do that. I honestly cant remember 1 game that he has ever stolen the Flyers. He is not a top tieer goalie yet gets paid as one.

He will be bought out I will almost gaurentee it. If not this summer, before the amnesty buy out ends. Also next summer (2013) Bryzaster will have been paid over 40% of his contract but will have a cap hit of 5.6 for 6 more years. No way the Flyers keep him around short of winning the stanley cup.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Im with Bernie here.

What I saw against NJ was a coach who could not change the gameplan up. It is the reason he was fired from CAR. Once he is figured out, he doesn't change the game. NJD did the same thing game in and game out. Dump and chase, win every battle and force us to the outside, no adjustment what so ever. Same thing happened all season long vs. NYR. We would be winning and out playing the Rangers and then suddenly the 3rd period comes around and boom Torts makes an adjustment and its a whole new game.

I Was at all but 1 game of that Devils series (game 5, didnt want to waste the money on an elimination) There is no reason the NJD should have out shot us the way they did, esp with that offense compared to ours. And then you can blame our D, but on paper, our D is better than theirs, but they all had a coach that was out smarting Lavi.

I am not saying fire the dude, but if the season ends up being a ****** one, give him the boot.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
That just shows that he is incapable of stealing a game ala Lundquist, Miller or Quick.
no, it doesn't. he stole games last year.

what it does show is that he strung together his BEST month, when the TEAM played their BEST D

Old
01-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
You keep spouting this and I have NO idea why. It's flat-out false by every metric, from stats to the eyeball test. Bryz had his best month during our WORST defensive month. I've shown this to you in detail, using statistics and numbers. That's why Bryz was the player of the month in March; he was freaking amazing and single-handedly bailed his team out in a lot of games. He got shelled because our D was overwhelmed, and he rose to the challenge.

Our best defensive months were October and December. March, when Timonen and Mez were hurt and we were relying heavily on callups and Matt Carle, was not our best month.

I don't understand why you insist on downplaying Bryz's impressive March accomplishments.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:30 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
You keep spouting this and I have NO idea why. It's flat-out false by every metric, from stats to the eyeball test. Bryz had his best month during our WORST defensive month. I've shown this to you in detail, using statistics and numbers. That's why Bryz was the player of the month in March; he was freaking amazing and single-handedly bailed his team out in a lot of games. He got shelled because our D was overwhelmed, and he rose to the challenge.

Our best defensive months were October and December. March, when Timonen and Mez were hurt and we were relying heavily on callups and Matt Carle, was not our best month.

I don't understand why you insist on downplaying Bryz's impressive March accomplishments.
Because he is one of those dudes who is blinded by Bryz hatred.

Yea, 1st series he and Fleury played ******, but you had the 2 best offensive clubs going head to head and neither teams defense seemed to show up. Odd man rush after odd man rush is going to result in a lot of goals.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
no surprise that the team had its best defensive month when bryz clamped down in net

You constantly spout this BS and the BS that what Bryz did against NJD was really anything to be that excited about. I'm sorry but your bar is way too low.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
no surprise that the team had its best defensive month when bryz clamped down in net

You constantly spout this BS and the BS that what Bryz did against NJD was really anything to be that excited about. I'm sorry but your bar is way too low.
I guess you missed game 3 when he had 40 saves and we couldnt do dick offensively.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:47 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Well you know what, I think he'll do fine.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post

jesus. What is BS? We did have some injuries in march and The whole team played a more defensive game as a result which led to less high risk plays in our own zone. Not as many sad wannabe pronger attempts at outlet passes in the slot no less. Don't pretend like you don't remember how clamped down they played in our own zone. And cheesesteak's condescending statement about takin credit away from bryz is pretty funny really. His point is when the team plays the way their capable at both ends, it gives confidence to the goalie which results in success. This was how we should play the whole season. but we take risks under lavi, thats our gimmick. pinching and movin out as quick as possible.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
jesus. What is BS? We did have some injuries in march and The whole team played a more defensive game as a result which led to less high risk plays in our own zone. Not as many sad wannabe pronger attempts at outlet passes in the slot no less. Don't pretend like you don't remember how clamped down they played in our own zone. And cheesesteak's condescending statement about takin credit away from bryz is pretty funny really. His point is when the team plays the way their capable at both ends, it gives confidence to the goalie which results in success. This was how we should play the whole season.
My point is that our team was crap defensively in March...because it was. Remember Bryz getting shelled and subjected to numerous 2 on 1s for three straight weeks? He faced more shots in March than in any other month, and it most certainly wasn't all bad angle shots from the boards. Not only did he bail the team out when they really needed it because of the defensive play, he put up lots of shutouts in the process.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
zarley zelepukin

I don't know how anybody could seriously watch that NJ series and want to point to the goalie as a primary reason why we lost. Each of games 2-5 probably should have been a blowout. The team looked pathetic against the Devils. Aside from the Senators series where we scored two goals, I don't remember the Flyers getting so dominated in a playoff series in the last 15 years.

I guess that could be an indictment against Lavi, but I think you have to look at the whole picture. He managed to get the team into the second round with a roster that wasn't really a great fit for his system, and I think that's more the GM's fault than the coaches'.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:53 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
My point is that our team was crap defensively in March...because it was. Remember Bryz getting shelled and subjected to numerous 2 on 1s for three straight weeks?
No more than usual. I do remember more of an effort along the boards in our own zone. Bryzgalov played out of his mind which led to shutouts but it wasn't this insane free for all. We played back more. I remember clogging the **** outta the lanes.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
No more than usual. I do remember more of an effort along the boards in our own zone. Bryzgalov played out of his mind which led to shutouts but it wasn't this insane free for all. We played back more. I remember clogging the **** outta the lanes.
There were definitely more than usual. The quality of shots remained the same, and the number of shots increased.

Once more, I don't understand why you're trying to take credit away from Bryz by falsely calling March our best defensive month. That honor goes to December...while Timonen was having his best defensive stretch in a while and Couturier was running at .98 GAON/60 against quality competition.