HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Sweden Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 08:18 AM
sg58

vCash: 500
As long as Sammy Påhlsson is one of the six players on the ice when we're chasing a goal in the last minute we should be fine.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:23 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
As long as Sammy Påhlsson is one of the six players on the ice when we're chasing a goal in the last minute we should be fine.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:36 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by weklof View Post
I really liked the line of Johansson - Bäckström - Hörnqvist in Channel One Cup, it would be nice to keep it on for the Olympics. My team:

Henrik Lundqvist
Viktor Fasth
Jhonas Enroth

Erik Karlsson - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Tobias Enström - Niklas Kronwall (A)
Alexander Edler - Victor Hedman
Niklas Hjalmarsson

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Gabriel Landeskog (A)
Johan Franzén - Henrik Zetterberg (C) - Loui Eriksson
Marcus Johansson - Nicklas Bäckström - Patric Hörnqvist
Viktor Stålberg - Alexander Steen - Jakob Silfverberg
Patrik Berglund

Candidates G: Jacob Markström, Robin Lehner, Anders Lindbäck
Candidates D: Niklas Grossman, Adam Larsson, Carl Gunnarsson, Staffan Kronwall, Jonas Brodin
Candidates F: Carl Hagelin, Gustav Nyquist, Mikael Backlund, Carl Söderberg (if he keeps beasting the SEL), Joel Lundqvist (has been really good in the NT in a checking role).

I think the depth on F is quite low, we are just few injuries away from seriously having to consider guys like Omark and Samuelsson. Here's hoping that some young gun like Zibanejad, Lindholm, Pääjärvi, or Forsberg steps up and has a breaktrough season. But at the moment, none of them has shown enough to be seriously considered.

silverberg and stålberg ahead of berglund and hagelin? that will never happen.

fasth is not og matrial, lindbäck will be there.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
weklof

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
silverberg and stålberg ahead of berglund and hagelin? that will never happen.

fasth is not og matrial, lindbäck will be there.
What has Hagelin done that puts him clearly ahead of Stålberg and Silfverberg. I think those three are quite even and it will be decided by who has the best 2013/2014. I could imagine having Berglund as the fourth line center and moving Steen to the wing. I think there will be quite the struggle for the goalie spots behind Lundqvist. Right now it's a toss up between Fasth, Enroth, Markström, Lehner, Lindbäck and perhaps even Gustavsson if he rebounds. Again, it will be deceided by who has the best 2013/2014 season.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Edler (LH) and Karlsson (RH) are the clear two best Dmen on the team at this point, LH/RH shot matchup, and Edler will bring a little bit of experience and a more defensive style to that pairing.

Similarly OEL (LH) and Kronwall (RH) are in my opinion the clearcut choice to try as a second pairing, youth and experience, great on both ends of the rink, both used to playing big roles with their NHL clubs.

I think wrapping it up with Enstrom - Hedman would provide a solid, positionally sound 3rd pairing that will again be effective on both ends of the ice. Carry Hjalmarsson as the 7th dman in case of injuries and for PK duties if necessary, though I don't forsee that being a problem with such a strong core.

Forwards a little bit more tricky in my opinion. Obviously the Sedins stay together, but who plays on their right side. With the way they dominate and control the puck I almost wouldn't want to use Loui there, and maybe instead give them a guy like Hornqvist to ride shotgun to them, and provide some grit and finishing to that line. And Landeskog should ultimately stay on LW.

I want to keep Franzen and Zetterberg together because of their established chemistry but at the same time I salivate at the idea of a Landeskog - Zetterberg - Eriksson line in terms of driving opposition squads crazy with their defensive play, forechecking, and puck possession. However, on an international squad like this I think a premium has to be placed on existing chemistry, and Zetterberg hasn't been quite the same for the last year or two. Backstrom is effective defensively too, and better offensively, so if he is healthy perhaps he's a better choice to center those two guys.

Putting Steen on a line with Zetterberg and Franzen could provide a very tenacious third line that's difficult to play against, but perhaps limits their offensive potential. Not sure whether it makes more sense to use Steen there or play him as 4th line C.

To be honest I find the lack of proven forward depth concerning when putting together this squad. My thought process would be to play steen with Zetterberg, and lean heavily on the top 3 lines, putting the 4th out there only for a few mins per game. If Berglund was better on the wing I would try him in that 3rd line spot but I've never been impressed with him there.

So:

Sedin - Sedin - Hornqvist
Landeskog - Backstrom - Eriksson
Franzen - Zetterberg - Steen
Hagelin - Berglund - Stalberg

Edler - Karlsson
OEL - Kronwall
Enstrom - Hedman
Hjalmarsson

4th line I'm not sure.

I would try to match up those 2nd and 3rd lines against the oppositions top offensive threats and try to get the Sedins out there on the PP and against weaker d pairings to dominate and put up numbers.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
sg58

Kronwall is a leftie, by the way, but we'll have to play some lefties over at the right side either way. I'd personally want Gunnarsson on the team, but I don't think he will be.

As you mention, it'd be optimal if Mårts could use Sedins like they're being used in Vancouver. I doubt he's evolved enough to understand any of that, though. That's not a slight on Mårts, just a comment on Swedish coaching being 10 years behind the NHL when it comes to stuff like that.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:11 AM
joe89

No way Z is on the 3rd line, he'll be the captain and leading force at F.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:16 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Silfverberg will be on the team. Remains to be seen if Zibanejad will make it as well but don't dis-consider him just yet.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Huffman

Johansson certainly makes my team. He has looked pretty darn awesome on big ice.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:08 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by weklof View Post
What has Hagelin done that puts him clearly ahead of Stålberg and Silfverberg. I think those three are quite even and it will be decided by who has the best 2013/2014. I could imagine having Berglund as the fourth line center and moving Steen to the wing. I think there will be quite the struggle for the goalie spots behind Lundqvist. Right now it's a toss up between Fasth, Enroth, Markström, Lehner, Lindbäck and perhaps even Gustavsson if he rebounds. Again, it will be deceided by who has the best 2013/2014 season.

well silfverberg has not even played in the nhl and was bad in wc and he does not fit on checkingline. stalberg is decent but hagelin got more grit and more speed. but ofc much can happen in 14 months. i think mps can have a breakout season etc.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:47 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Of course some young guys I have left out might be obvious then and we might not even have some of the older guys on ice.

Sedin, D Sedin, H Landeskog (This mix will make it)
Zetterberg Backström Franzen (DRW+)
Eriksson Steen Hörnqvist (legit guys but the mix?)
Tedenby Berglund Paajärvi (wings not given, Hagelin?)
Alfredsson (still around?)

(D should be matched by no one of they got a good year)
Edler Karlsson (very offensive, but still ok defensive)
OEL Hedman (world of hurt)
Strålman Enström (good balance)
Kronwall (good enough then or even around?)

Lundqvist (yeah...)
Johan Hedberg (experience wise I pick him, steady backup)
Markström/Läck (Good, young and coming)

Old
12-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Tomas W

Kronwall will obviously be around 2014

Old
12-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Berglund1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Silfverberg will be on the team. Remains to be seen if Zibanejad will make it as well but don't dis-consider him just yet.
Zibanejad will not make it but maybe Silfverberg

Loui Bäckström Johansson
Sedin Sedin Landeskog
steen Zetterberg Hörnquist
Franzen Berglund Backlund/Silfverberg

Karlsson Hedman
OEL Edler
Enström Kronwall
A.larsson

Lundquist
Enroth
Markström

My team

Old
12-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Berglund1313

Deleted

Old
01-08-2013, 06:36 AM
pulverapa

Quote:
I lol'd.
Still laughing? What do you know about hockey, really?

Old
01-08-2013, 08:47 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulverapa View Post
Still laughing? What do you know about hockey, really?
He doesn't know a lot

Old
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

yeah becuse its 100 % silverberg and stålberg will be on the team? and zibanejad be on AHL for a very long time and then go back to elitserien. the dude is born 1993 ffs.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:09 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
yeah becuse its 100 % silverberg and stålberg will be on the team? and zibanejad be on AHL for a very long time and then go back to elitserien. the dude is born 1993 ffs.
Of course not.
It's nice that you can see in to the future though.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:18 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Projected line up:
Zetterberg-Backstrom-Eriksson
Sedin-Sedin-Landeskog
Franzen-Berglund-Steen
Hagelin-???????-Hornqvist
???????

Edler-Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson-Kronwall
Enstrom-Hjalmarsson
Hedman

Lundqvist
Lindback
I've not had second thoughts on these guys. Last two spots right now would be MoJo and Silfverberg for me with Joel Lundqvist as first challenger.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:04 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
I've not had second thoughts on these guys. Last two spots right now would be MoJo and Silfverberg for me with Joel Lundqvist as first challenger.
Not a fan of Franzen and Hörnqvist, really hope someone else comes along....from nowhere...and if Hedberg plays well, hes the ideal back-up. Not sold on Lindbäck either.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
novon04

I don't get why everyone has Hörnqvist in their 2014 lineup. 1 point in the last 12 games with the national team. Probably the most overrated swedish player.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by novon04 View Post
I don't get why everyone has Hörnqvist in their 2014 lineup. 1 point in the last 12 games with the national team. Probably the most overrated swedish player.
Agree. I think there are better options, he's a very average player.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
mattihp

Quote:
A nose for the net that is bound to be appearant in the chicken-yellow jerseys as well. He is also a hard worker and a good team player. Not a player that looks out of place on any line.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
joe89

Quote:
When he screens a goalie on the PP, it won't show on the scoresheet. Does his defense, knows his role. We'll have at least 10 other guys for creativity.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
When he screens a goalie on the PP, it won't show on the scoresheet. Does his defense, knows his role. We'll have at least 10 other guys for creativity.
Typically guys that block the goalie on the PP try to redirect the puck. That does show up on the score sheet.

Closed Thread