HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Alex Kovalev invited to Panthers camp

Old
01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
I'm back and excited for the season. Kovalev more than likely will make the team, he's still a 15-20 goal scorer and we need to replace Sammuelson's production.

Jeff Shafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
He signs with us, ill **** and go buy his jersey as soon as i hear my all time favorite player

Everyone will wanna lynch me for making every excuse in the book for his off nights
Welcome back dude!

I knew youd be excited!!!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Shafer View Post
I'm back and excited for the season. Kovalev more than likely will make the team, he's still a 15-20 goal scorer and we need to replace Sammuelson's production.
And welcome back to you as well!!!

the boys are back in town!!!

Old
01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
And welcome back to you as well!!!

the boys are back in town!!!
I'll be there for the opening game, lets tail gate like last time!

Jeff Shafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Well he would of played against Dineen many times when both were in the Eastern conference for years.
Its great when a player has respect for a coach whose a former star player...what a blessing.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
I'll be there for the opening game, lets tail gate like last time!
See you at the Van Murph and Catfan pary!!!!

Old
01-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
What? In 2011 Kovalev had 2 goals in his last 20 games with the Penguins. In 2012 he had ONE goal in 22 KHL games played. Kovalev at 40 years old is not the same Kovalev he was at 26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7LjVCj50Y

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Alexei Kovalev said he spoke with The Florida Panthers before the 2011-12 season about playing with the organization. He was offered a tryout deal by GM Dale Tallon but it didn't work out. "The situation changed a little bit and I couldn't wait anymore so I went to Russia," said Kovalev. "I guess the offer still stands and they decided I could come back. I want to get back in the NHL. They're going to give me a chance, see how things go."

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I hope he's just there to give the kids motivation seeing how we have injuries. I'm not a fan of any of the invites, especially this one.

01-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Great8Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
Alexei Kovalev said he spoke with The Florida Panthers before the 2011-12 season about playing with the organization. He was offered a tryout deal by GM Dale Tallon but it didn't work out. "The situation changed a little bit and I couldn't wait anymore so I went to Russia," said Kovalev. "I guess the offer still stands and they decided I could come back. I want to get back in the NHL. They're going to give me a chance, see how things go."
I brought up the possibility of signing AK27 on 2-24-12 in Post #769 of that thread.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
I brought up the possibility of signing AK27 on 2-24-12 in Post #769 of that thread.
Tell us who else is on our radar! What are the chances of getting Luongo?

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Welcome back dude!

I knew youd be excited!!!
To you too! Yeah this one would get me doin backflips

Great8Cam...on his bday, yer post

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I hope he's just there to give the kids motivation seeing how we have injuries. I'm not a fan of any of the invites, especially this one.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
What? In 2011 Kovalev had 2 goals in his last 20 games with the Penguins. In 2012 he had ONE goal in 22 KHL games played. Kovalev at 40 years old is not the same Kovalev he was at 26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7LjVCj50Y
Yes Clint, we know the stats, and so does management. I think that's why he's on a tryout. No harm done.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:35 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
I'm a fan of giving people second and third chances with absolutely no risk to the team. What are you worried about exactly? Either they make the team or they don't, no big deal.
After having no NHL and no Panthers for almost half a season you are going to complain about ex-NHL goal scorers getting invited to training camp? If anything it just makes things more exciting, and at least Tallon is trying to address something we can all agree on; we need more goal scoring.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:24 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I'm not at all worried, just not a fan. I certainly don't mind giving chances to a guy, just not sure how they'd contribute. That said, I liked having Sturm on the team as I thought he was very responsible. Tallon does seem to know how to find those guys.

I trust Tallon, but I've never much a fan of Kovalev, sorry CH lol, and AK has a reputation. Svatos, guess we'll see how he does in camp.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:44 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
I'm not at all worried, just not a fan. I certainly don't mind giving chances to a guy, just not sure how they'd contribute. That said, I liked having Sturm on the team as I thought he was very responsible. Tallon does seem to know how to find those guys.

I trust Tallon, but I've never much a fan of Kovalev, sorry CH lol, and AK has a reputation. Svatos, guess we'll see how he does in camp.
We all know his labels, as his biggest apologist I'll just blame knee problems(and why the heck shouldn't I?).

Marco was cool, he did look damn good for us when he was around. Undervalued as Stumpel was IMO.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Reading GR's article, I found an interesting nugget of info in there:
Quote:
The Panthers could have a few open spots as forwards Marcel Goc, Sean Bergenheim and Shawn Matthias were reportedly injured during the lockout.

Florida would have to make some roster moves, however, as the team will be at the maximum for contracts once defenseman Dmitry Kulikov is signed.
So even if Kovalev (or any of the tryouts) seem to make the team, we would have to make a trade to get under the 50 contract limit to sign one of the tryout guys. Start the speculation on who gets traded now

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/0...s-invited.html

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:14 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Reading GR's article, I found an interesting nugget of info in there:

So even if Kovalev (or any of the tryouts) seem to make the team, we would have to make a trade to get under the 50 contract limit to sign one of the tryout guys. Start the speculation on who gets traded now

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/0...s-invited.html
There are 2 veterans down in San Antonio just wasting away as healthy scratches, I say we start there.

RampageNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
There are 2 veterans down in San Antonio just wasting away as healthy scratches, I say we start there.
That was my thought exactly. Who in your opinion should go first...Deveaux or Jacques? I'm kinda leaning towards trading Deveaux since Jacques has more NHL experience.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
That was my thought exactly. Who in your opinion should go first...Deveaux or Jacques? I'm kinda leaning towards trading Deveaux since Jacques has more NHL experience.
Based on what I saw at practice today, Deveaux needs to go as soon as the CBA is ratified, if not before.
After the full team organized practice, Weber, Cipolla, and McCabe worked with the 5 on 3 units at one end. Skrudland (I think) had the another group at the other end working on individual drills. Finally, a group were at center ice playing some game where they stand around the center circle, one-timing passes to each other. If you flubbed either on the pass or the reception, you were out. Last one standing wins. Every player was involved in a drill, game, or with a coach. Except Deveaux. He sat on the halfwall in front of one of the benches, all by himself, for the duration of practice. It was embarassing to see and to me, unacceptable.

I'd rather see Jacques stick around. He's slow as mud and has stone hands, but he plays in the dirty areas and can throw his weight around. Deveaux is just a useless malcontent.

RampageNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Based on what I saw at practice today, Deveaux needs to go as soon as the CBA is ratified, if not before.
After the full team organized practice, Weber, Cipolla, and McCabe worked with the 5 on 3 units at one end. Skrudland (I think) had the another group at the other end working on individual drills. Finally, a group were at center ice playing some game where they stand around the center circle, one-timing passes to each other. If you flubbed either on the pass or the reception, you were out. Last one standing wins. Every player was involved in a drill, game, or with a coach. Except Deveaux. He sat on the halfwall in front of one of the benches, all by himself, for the duration of practice. It was embarassing to see and to me, unacceptable.

I'd rather see Jacques stick around. He's slow as mud and has stone hands, but he plays in the dirty areas and can throw his weight around. Deveaux is just a useless malcontent.
Wow, that is kinda odd to hear. Yeah I think he's probably already prepared to be shipped out once deals are allowed. Wonder if there's a team out there that will at least take him for their farm team...maybe Edmonton since they are gonna lose a ton of guys from the farm?

Old
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

I think the only "official" player that is trying out is Kovalev as of now.

MillarWithASave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Dineen on Alex...
"When we played Alex, he was on real quality teams that were extremely high powered, whether it was the Rangers with Mark Messier and Adam Graves or Pittsburgh with Jaromir Jagr and the boys there, a lot of times I focused on shutting [Kovalev] down,'' Dineen said. "You know what kind of talent he has. More importantly, what a professional he is with his skill and will. We'll take a good look at him next week. The possibilites with him as a player are endless, so we're excited to have him.'' \

Old
01-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I like the fact we invited him. Also gives the guys who are signed the feel again that they wont just get spots because there signed

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote