HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Danglesnipe
52-22-8

vCash: 50
I doubt they will trade O'Reilly anytime soon. He has the type of character that is great for the locker room.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
There is no question in my mind that he will be back with the team, the question is for how long will he be with the Avs?

He is a valuable trade piece for the Avs, and honestly, one that is somewhat expendable with Duchene and Stastny around (who can be a serviceable to good 1-2 punch depending on which Duchene plays). Granted I'd rather trade Stastny, but from a business perspective Stastny might be easier to deal with, and ROR might get more in a trade as he is still a RFA and young. This doesn't mention the fact that we have two players who might develop into second line centers in the system, and if we are just looking for a third line center we have plenty of options that could step in this year. I won't be one bit surprised if O'Reilly is packaged with Barrie or Elliot to upgrade our defense and pick up a serviceable third line center.
I won't agree or disagree to this. I'm at an even split between our centers on who should go, 33% in favor of each. They ALL have their strengths and weaknesses.

Duchy is our most skilled/potential center, but he still needs to display it. O'Reilly is our most defensively skilled center that is the type you lean on to win you a championship. Stastny is our best two-way center that can thread a pass better than anyone on the team, seriously underrated on this forum and around the league for his vision and playmaking abilities.

I don't see this situation causing him to be moved. Why would the Avs be negotiating with him if we were going to trade him or were upset he signed in Russia?

Old
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I won't agree or disagree to this. I'm at an even split between our centers on who should go, 33% in favor of each. They ALL have their strengths and weaknesses.

Duchy is our most skilled/potential center, but he still needs to display it. O'Reilly is our most defensively skilled center that is the type you lean on to win you a championship. Stastny is our best two-way center that can thread a pass better than anyone on the team, seriously underrated on this forum and around the league for his vision and playmaking abilities.

I don't see this situation causing him to be moved. Why would the Avs be negotiating with him if we were going to trade him or were upset he signed in Russia?
Why would they be negotiating with him???

Because a signed ROR would have a lot more trade value than an unsigned ROR. And they wouldn't just let him rot in Russia -- that would be stupid asset management.

That said, i believe they'll come to terms with ROR and he'll be on the team.
He might still get traded as a piece in exchange for the #2 dman, but I don't think that has anything to do with his signing with the KHL.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

Old
01-08-2013, 12:06 PM
landysgod

vCash: 500
does anyone know if ryan is still in russia?

Old
01-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

He's under contract to play in Russia. I suspect he's there.

His agent should be here, though, getting him a contract so he can come home.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post

Because a signed ROR would have a lot more trade value than an unsigned ROR. And they wouldn't just let him rot in Russia -- that would be stupid asset management.

He might still get traded as a piece in exchange for the #2 dman, but I don't think that has anything to do with his signing with the KHL.
This exactly. Think of Turris in Phoenix last year.

In the end the Avs have a decision to make about the center situation by the summer of 2014 if not earlier. There are 3 legit #2 centers on this team (could be argued that Stastny is a low grade #1 and Duchene could be a #1) and not enough minutes or talent to spread around between them. Before this KHL thing with O'Reilly it looked like it was going to be a decision between Duchene and Stastny (contracts both end that summer). O'Reilly looked untouchable. With the history of the Avs management that probably changed. Now the KHL thing wouldn't be the only reason for shipping him out (it still has to be a good hockey deal), but I think that it would be a factor.

IMO it looks like O'Reilly is trying to maximize his value, and he has every right to do that. It also brings up questions like if he is looking at doing this at this juncture, how much of an issue will it be in the future? Would he be the type willing to take a paycut to make a run for the cup? Would he be the type to hold out after another breakout year (say he gets 80 pts in 13-14)? I'm not saying that O'Reilly is that type of player by any means, but it is obvious that he isn't the easiest player to deal with business wise and to what extent that goes only O'Reilly, his agent, and Avs management know.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:35 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolive View Post
does anyone know if ryan is still in russia?
Yes, he is playing today, currently 1+1, begining of 3rd period.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post

It all depends on how much he signed for. If he signed for over $5M per year and he insists on the Avs paying him more than that on a yearly basis, that's where the problem comes in. You guys might think teams will be lining up to pay him that kind of money but it's a risk for them as well since he only broke out last season alongside Landeskog. IF that's the case, the Avs could opt to leave him in Russia, let him prove last season wasn't a fluke instead of overpaying him now and then try to find a trade partner. An offer sheet from a desperate team may prove to be better value depending on what the return would be.*

*RFA compensation needed to be re-worked in my opinion, not sure if it's been changed in the new CBA

2012 Compensation
$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
This exactly. Think of Turris in Phoenix last year.

In the end the Avs have a decision to make about the center situation by the summer of 2014 if not earlier. There are 3 legit #2 centers on this team (could be argued that Stastny is a low grade #1 and Duchene could be a #1) and not enough minutes or talent to spread around between them. Before this KHL thing with O'Reilly it looked like it was going to be a decision between Duchene and Stastny (contracts both end that summer). O'Reilly looked untouchable. With the history of the Avs management that probably changed. Now the KHL thing wouldn't be the only reason for shipping him out (it still has to be a good hockey deal), but I think that it would be a factor.

IMO it looks like O'Reilly is trying to maximize his value, and he has every right to do that. It also brings up questions like if he is looking at doing this at this juncture, how much of an issue will it be in the future? Would he be the type willing to take a paycut to make a run for the cup? Would he be the type to hold out after another breakout year (say he gets 80 pts in 13-14)? I'm not saying that O'Reilly is that type of player by any means, but it is obvious that he isn't the easiest player to deal with business wise and to what extent that goes only O'Reilly, his agent, and Avs management know.
This is a good point but I really think (or hoping) we're all probably reading this wrong. Knowing the Avs, they probably tried to REALLY lowball him ($2M-$3M) and he and his agent figure that is ridiculous (which it is). I don't think he purposely priced himself out of the Avs budget but probably gained some leverage to ensure he'd be paid a fair wage for what he brings. ($3.5M-$4M)

If this ISN'T the case and he's really trying to hit a home run with this contract, I'd say anything over $4.5M and he'll be traded. Not because he's not a good player, not because he won't potentially be worth it but because Avs management won't take too kindly to being squeezed in this manner.

I think we're going to find out before the end of the week.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:59 PM
The Kingslayer

Hes a goner

Old
01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
RumpleSnipeSkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Hes a goner
Don't say that

Last edited by RumpleSnipeSkin: 01-08-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Phenomenal current location Kingslayer
Old
01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumpleSnipeSkin View Post
Don't say that
Sherman and co low balling him makes sense to me. Kroenke needs that money in the bank. Its always take it or leave it with this, now, Mickey Mouse organization. How can you say 'rebuild' when you cant even come to terms with one of the core players of that rebuild and not to mention you're leading scorer from last season and hardest working player. ROR should get paid and signed long term.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

the record's stuck
the record's stuck
the record's stuck

Old
01-08-2013, 03:01 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Sherman and co low balling him makes sense to me. Kroenke needs that money in the bank. Its always take it or leave it with this, now, Mickey Mouse organization. How can you say 'rebuild' when you cant even come to terms with one of the core players of that rebuild and not to mention you're leading scorer from last season and hardest working player. ROR should get paid and signed long term.
Did you look at some of the other top young RFA's without contracts too? Just because they couldn't come to a deal before the CBA ended doesn't mean he's automically gone. The past is the past and doesn't mean a thing.

I love O'Reilly but I could still see there being questions about his offensive potential given how it was almost non-existent for a good chunk of his first few years. I don't have any doubts the organization wants him back though.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Eurolanche Send a message via Skype™ to Eurolanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I still don't trust Eurolanche though. Weren't they the ones that were saying that we were going to trade for Parise by giving up Giguere, Kobasew and a 1st round pick before July 1st?
Good afternoon,

you probably did not read our stories about Parise carefully. We have never said the Parise trade to Colorado Avalanche is for 100%. Our source, close to New Jersey Devils, said there were talks between NJD and COL about Parise. He also said he does not believe this trade will happen. Few days or weeks later, Sherman confirmed these talks. If some media reports that Eurolanche says it is done-deal, it is their problem, not ours. We have never wrote something, what was not true. We have own sources and count with them. Of course, we cannot compare to big media sites or Adrian Dater, but it does not mean we are going to write false news...

This is the official statement, which is a part of the Eurolanche article on Wikipedia:

Zach Parise Rumor
The Eurolanche fan club presented the first media speculation about the arrival of former New Jersey Devils player Zach Parise to Colorado Avalanche.[32] This speculation came from a source close to the New Jersey Devils organization. In an exclusive interview, he confirmed that the management of Colorado Avalanche contacted Zach Parise´s agent. Concurrently, he has not seen Parise´s arrival to Denver realized.[33] Speculation about the possible arrival of Parise to Colorado was taken up by several foreign media outlets and the Eurolanche were cited there.[34][35][36][37] Zach Parise eventually signed a contract with Minnesota Wild.[38] Colorado Avalanche general manager Greg Sherman later confirmed that he had contacted the agent of Zach Parise,[39] nevertheless an agreement was not reached.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Did you look at some of the other top young RFA's without contracts too? Just because they couldn't come to a deal before the CBA ended doesn't mean he's automically gone. The past is the past and doesn't mean a thing.

I love O'Reilly but I could still see there being questions about his offensive potential given how it was almost non-existent for a good chunk of his first few years. I don't have any doubts the organization wants him back though.
I think ROR is the only one of young RFA's to sign a 2 yr contract. He doesnt seem to be in much of a hurry to get to Denver. I think hes happy being in Magnitogorsk with his brother Cal and TwoPadStack breaking bread drinking that Russian vodka. I never saw ROR as more of a 20-25 goal guy myself but he brings more then just offense to this team. I dont doubt they want ROR back but I would be interested to know what exactly they offered him

Old
01-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

I want O'Reilly back with the Avs but if it take 5 million to do so, then trade him. He is not worth that at this point. I would do like 4 years @ 3.5 per (maybe up to 4 per); hopefully he will be an Av next season but only time will tell.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Varmalov View Post
I want O'Reilly back with the Avs but if it take 5 million to do so, then trade him. He is not worth that at this point. I would do like 4 years @ 3.5 per (maybe up to 4 per); hopefully he will be an Av next season but only time will tell.
I wonder if hes pissed hes not captain. 4 yrs @ 4 per seems fair to me

Old
01-08-2013, 03:52 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
I wonder if hes pissed hes not captain. 4 yrs @ 4 per seems fair to me
I don't think that's the reason at all. I'm beginning to feel confident that he will be with the Avalanche next season. The Avalanche do truly have a history of lowballing players, let's hope that they can "turn over a new leaf" so to speak and get beyond that.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
BoxOfChocolates

I hope he asks for even more money.

I want a top paring d-man that bad.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
I hope he asks for even more money.

I want a top paring d-man that bad.
Greg Zanon not getting u chubby?

Old
01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Greg Zanon not getting u chubby?

As sexy as he is, no.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:19 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
of all the C's we have on the roster ROR is the one guy i think doesn't get moved. he plays a two way game and has been arguably our best player since he's been an Av.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
of all the C's we have on the roster ROR is the one guy i think doesn't get moved. he plays a two way game and has been arguably our best player since he's been an Av.
You could say he was our best player last season. Landeskog and Varlamov might have something to say about that but I would probably go with O'Reilly.

In his first two years in the league he wasn't close to being our best player. Probably not even in the top five.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
BrickAHL
#Shermy is ELEPHANT

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurolanche View Post
Good afternoon,

you probably did not read our stories about Parise carefully. We have never said the Parise trade to Colorado Avalanche is for 100%. Our source, close to New Jersey Devils, said there were talks between NJD and COL about Parise. He also said he does not believe this trade will happen. Few days or weeks later, Sherman confirmed these talks. If some media reports that Eurolanche says it is done-deal, it is their problem, not ours. We have never wrote something, what was not true. We have own sources and count with them. Of course, we cannot compare to big media sites or Adrian Dater, but it does not mean we are going to write false news...

This is the official statement, which is a part of the Eurolanche article on Wikipedia:

Zach Parise Rumor
The Eurolanche fan club presented the first media speculation about the arrival of former New Jersey Devils player Zach Parise to Colorado Avalanche.[32] This speculation came from a source close to the New Jersey Devils organization. In an exclusive interview, he confirmed that the management of Colorado Avalanche contacted Zach Parise´s agent. Concurrently, he has not seen Parise´s arrival to Denver realized.[33] Speculation about the possible arrival of Parise to Colorado was taken up by several foreign media outlets and the Eurolanche were cited there.[34][35][36][37] Zach Parise eventually signed a contract with Minnesota Wild.[38] Colorado Avalanche general manager Greg Sherman later confirmed that he had contacted the agent of Zach Parise,[39] nevertheless an agreement was not reached.
I'm sorry I thought I read on your site that it was going to happen for sure. I deeply apologize for making your site looking bad.

Closed Thread