HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 06:10 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 500
Look who just lost a bet on the WJC's...

Old
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Taco Fingerhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Look who just lost a bet on the WJC's...

lol. What a scary scary looking man he's becoming. I love it.

My guess is he lost to Schroeder.

Last edited by Taco Fingerhat: 01-07-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Hoping they play on Saturday in Abby before training camp starts up...or I'll be watching career AHLers this Saturday...

Old
01-07-2013, 03:08 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
lol. What a scary scary looking man he's becoming. I love it.

My guess is he lost to Schroeder.
Yep, that's right. It was from ZK's Twitter feed.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Yep, that's right. It was from ZK's Twitter feed.
I don't think I knew he had a confirmed one, what is it?

Old
01-07-2013, 03:18 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I don't think I knew he had a confirmed one, what is it?
This one: www.twitter.com/zkassian9

Old
01-07-2013, 03:32 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Sweet thanks!

Old
01-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

"Ebbett has been lighting it up with the Wolves.... is good in his own end" - Gary Valk

Someone hasn't watched any AHL games this year. Vancouver media for ya!

Old
01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Kassian's playoff beard:

Old
01-08-2013, 04:03 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I don't think Corrado will be on the Wolves next year. Pretty sure he's already a better player than Ballard.
How about we let the kid play an NHL game before throwing out stuff like that.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 8111
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Kassian's playoff beard:

Kassian and Garrison would have epic beards if we make it to the SCF.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
How about we let the kid play an NHL game before throwing out stuff like that.
Hell...even an AHL game or two. I think people are nuts with the Corrado love around here.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Hell...even an AHL game or two. I think people are nuts with the Corrado love around here.
Well to be fair he does have Orr in his name.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
He played last season. Looked instantly better than Connauton has all these years.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He played last season. Looked instantly better than Connauton has all these years.
That doesn't mean you throw a 19-20 year old kid into a lineup looking to contend...and the suggestion that he's already better than Ballard is a retarded notion. He's a good prospect, that's all he is right now.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:51 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
That doesn't mean you throw a 19-20 year old kid into a lineup looking to contend...and the suggestion that he's already better than Ballard is a retarded notion. He's a good prospect, that's all he is right now.
Agreed. Let us for once, not overhype a prospect.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Well to be fair he does have Orr in his name.
using this

Old
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Polasek called up to the Wolves:
http://www.chicagowolves.com/news/re...s-roster-moves

Edit: Grenier sent to the Zoo as well.

Last edited by vanuck: 01-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Tiranis

Seems like the plan is to do the same thing with Mallet as we did with Archibald. Give him a season in the ECHL to dominate and improve his offensive game. Did wonders for Archibald hoping it works for Mallet too.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Ballard is awful and couldn't be trusted to play a regular shift in the SCF, but this discussion was already moved out of this thread once. I may be wrong but I predict Corrado does not start with the Wolves next year (barring another D acquisition to replace Ballard)

Old
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Ballard is awful and couldn't be trusted to play a regular shift in the SCF, but this discussion was already moved out of this thread once. I may be wrong but I predict Corrado does not start with the Wolves next year (barring another D acquisition to replace Ballard)
Methinks you've been into the AV Kool-aid. Ballard ISN'T awful, just miscast and misused. He was actually one of the more solid defensemen we had against the Kings in the playoffs. He's not worth $4.2m as a 3rd pairing defenseman but right now I'd take him over Frankie Corrado any day of the week.

NHL player > CHL prospect

Old
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Seems like the plan is to do the same thing with Mallet as we did with Archibald. Give him a season in the ECHL to dominate and improve his offensive game. Did wonders for Archibald hoping it works for Mallet too.
His shot totals over the past 5 games are very encouraging - a good sign IMO. Nice to see that he's made it up to the 1st line.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
His shot totals over the past 5 games are very encouraging - a good sign IMO. Nice to see that he's made it up to the 1st line.
It'd be nice to see he and Grenier click down there, and come up to the Wolves together if they both perform.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Methinks you've been into the AV Kool-aid. Ballard ISN'T awful, just miscast and misused. He was actually one of the more solid defensemen we had against the Kings in the playoffs. He's not worth $4.2m as a 3rd pairing defenseman but right now I'd take him over Frankie Corrado any day of the week.

NHL player > CHL prospect
I am not sure if that is an accurate assessment. I would agree that Ballard was decent, relativel speaking, in the Los Angeles series. However, forgetting Alain Vigneault and his use of Ballard, Ballard is still a defensemen with a ton of warts. The problem is that he is neither dependable defensively or offensively. His hockey IQ is very poor and as a result he make many poor defensive reads. His skating is very good, and as a result, he is able to cover up some of these errors. He is also isn't overly physical. He basically only has his hipcheck - other than that, he is relatively soft and not imposing.

On the offensive end of the puck things don't look much better. His only real asset is his skating. He is a good puck rusher, but his outlet passing skills are weak and he doesn't have much of a shot. He is also poor on the powerplay.

At the end of the day you have a defenseman that can't be depended on to produce offensively, nor can be depended on defensively.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with the way Alain Vigneault has treated Ballard. Ballard was able to get away with these deficiencies play on poor teams in Phoenix and Florida but was exposed when he was traded to Vancouver. Moreover, I don't even really blame Gillis for acquiring him, as I think it was a reasonable gamble at the time. However, Gillis is most certainly responsible for his failure to realize that Ballard was not the defenseman he was advertized to be, nor was he a good fit on this hockey team. Simply put, Ballard should have been traded in the summer after the Canucks went to the finals, even if it was just a dump. It made absolutely no sense to tie up 4.6 million dollars in salar the following year when the Canucks were competing for the Stanley Cup and were right up against the cap.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I am not sure if that is an accurate assessment. I would agree that Ballard was decent, relativel speaking, in the Los Angeles series. However, forgetting Alain Vigneault and his use of Ballard, Ballard is still a defensemen with a ton of warts. The problem is that he is neither dependable defensively or offensively. His hockey IQ is very poor and as a result he make many poor defensive reads. His skating is very good, and as a result, he is able to cover up some of these errors. He is also isn't overly physical. He basically only has his hipcheck - other than that, he is relatively soft and not imposing.

On the offensive end of the puck things don't look much better. His only real asset is his skating. He is a good puck rusher, but his outlet passing skills are weak and he doesn't have much of a shot. He is also poor on the powerplay.

At the end of the day you have a defenseman that can't be depended on to produce offensively, nor can be depended on defensively.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with the way Alain Vigneault has treated Ballard. Ballard was able to get away with these deficiencies play on poor teams in Phoenix and Florida but was exposed when he was traded to Vancouver. Moreover, I don't even really blame Gillis for acquiring him, as I think it was a reasonable gamble at the time. However, Gillis is most certainly responsible for his failure to realize that Ballard was not the defenseman he was advertized to be, nor was he a good fit on this hockey team. Simply put, Ballard should have been traded in the summer after the Canucks went to the finals, even if it was just a dump. It made absolutely no sense to tie up 4.6 million dollars in salar the following year when the Canucks were competing for the Stanley Cup and were right up against the cap.
I'm going to disagree with some of your scouting there but I will agree that he should have been traded a while back if he wasn't going to be a part of the top 4 here.

Closed Thread