HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2013, 06:10 AM
  #201
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 500
Look who just lost a bet on the WJC's...


vanuck is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
  #202
Taco Fingerhat
Registered User
 
Taco Fingerhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Look who just lost a bet on the WJC's...

lol. What a scary scary looking man he's becoming. I love it.

My guess is he lost to Schroeder.


Last edited by Taco Fingerhat: 01-07-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Taco Fingerhat is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
  #203
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,618
vCash: 500
Hoping they play on Saturday in Abby before training camp starts up...or I'll be watching career AHLers this Saturday...

Taelin is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 03:08 PM
  #204
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
lol. What a scary scary looking man he's becoming. I love it.

My guess is he lost to Schroeder.
Yep, that's right. It was from ZK's Twitter feed.

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
  #205
PRNuck
Registered User
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Yep, that's right. It was from ZK's Twitter feed.
I don't think I knew he had a confirmed one, what is it?

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 03:18 PM
  #206
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I don't think I knew he had a confirmed one, what is it?
This one: www.twitter.com/zkassian9

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 03:32 PM
  #207
PRNuck
Registered User
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Sweet thanks!

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:39 AM
  #208
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
"Ebbett has been lighting it up with the Wolves.... is good in his own end" - Gary Valk



Someone hasn't watched any AHL games this year. Vancouver media for ya!

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
  #209
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 41,764
vCash: 500
Kassian's playoff beard:


parabola is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 04:03 AM
  #210
VanCanucks14
Registered User
 
VanCanucks14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I don't think Corrado will be on the Wolves next year. Pretty sure he's already a better player than Ballard.
How about we let the kid play an NHL game before throwing out stuff like that.

VanCanucks14 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
  #211
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,771
vCash: 8111
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Kassian's playoff beard:

Kassian and Garrison would have epic beards if we make it to the SCF.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
  #212
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
How about we let the kid play an NHL game before throwing out stuff like that.
Hell...even an AHL game or two. I think people are nuts with the Corrado love around here.

Canucker is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
  #213
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Hell...even an AHL game or two. I think people are nuts with the Corrado love around here.
Well to be fair he does have Orr in his name.

putridgasbag is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
  #214
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Hell...even an AHL game or two. I think people are nuts with the Corrado love around here.
He played last season. Looked instantly better than Connauton has all these years.

Tiranis is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:35 AM
  #215
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He played last season. Looked instantly better than Connauton has all these years.
That doesn't mean you throw a 19-20 year old kid into a lineup looking to contend...and the suggestion that he's already better than Ballard is a retarded notion. He's a good prospect, that's all he is right now.

Canucker is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:51 AM
  #216
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
That doesn't mean you throw a 19-20 year old kid into a lineup looking to contend...and the suggestion that he's already better than Ballard is a retarded notion. He's a good prospect, that's all he is right now.
Agreed. Let us for once, not overhype a prospect.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
  #217
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Well to be fair he does have Orr in his name.
using this

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
  #218
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 500
Polasek called up to the Wolves:
http://www.chicagowolves.com/news/re...s-roster-moves

Edit: Grenier sent to the Zoo as well.


Last edited by vanuck: 01-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.
vanuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:32 PM
  #219
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,978
vCash: 500
Seems like the plan is to do the same thing with Mallet as we did with Archibald. Give him a season in the ECHL to dominate and improve his offensive game. Did wonders for Archibald hoping it works for Mallet too.

Tiranis is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
  #220
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
That doesn't mean you throw a 19-20 year old kid into a lineup looking to contend...and the suggestion that he's already better than Ballard is a retarded notion. He's a good prospect, that's all he is right now.
Ballard is awful and couldn't be trusted to play a regular shift in the SCF, but this discussion was already moved out of this thread once. I may be wrong but I predict Corrado does not start with the Wolves next year (barring another D acquisition to replace Ballard)

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
  #221
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Ballard is awful and couldn't be trusted to play a regular shift in the SCF, but this discussion was already moved out of this thread once. I may be wrong but I predict Corrado does not start with the Wolves next year (barring another D acquisition to replace Ballard)
Methinks you've been into the AV Kool-aid. Ballard ISN'T awful, just miscast and misused. He was actually one of the more solid defensemen we had against the Kings in the playoffs. He's not worth $4.2m as a 3rd pairing defenseman but right now I'd take him over Frankie Corrado any day of the week.

NHL player > CHL prospect

Canucker is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
  #222
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Seems like the plan is to do the same thing with Mallet as we did with Archibald. Give him a season in the ECHL to dominate and improve his offensive game. Did wonders for Archibald hoping it works for Mallet too.
His shot totals over the past 5 games are very encouraging - a good sign IMO. Nice to see that he's made it up to the 1st line.

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
  #223
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
His shot totals over the past 5 games are very encouraging - a good sign IMO. Nice to see that he's made it up to the 1st line.
It'd be nice to see he and Grenier click down there, and come up to the Wolves together if they both perform.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 05:55 PM
  #224
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Methinks you've been into the AV Kool-aid. Ballard ISN'T awful, just miscast and misused. He was actually one of the more solid defensemen we had against the Kings in the playoffs. He's not worth $4.2m as a 3rd pairing defenseman but right now I'd take him over Frankie Corrado any day of the week.

NHL player > CHL prospect
I am not sure if that is an accurate assessment. I would agree that Ballard was decent, relativel speaking, in the Los Angeles series. However, forgetting Alain Vigneault and his use of Ballard, Ballard is still a defensemen with a ton of warts. The problem is that he is neither dependable defensively or offensively. His hockey IQ is very poor and as a result he make many poor defensive reads. His skating is very good, and as a result, he is able to cover up some of these errors. He is also isn't overly physical. He basically only has his hipcheck - other than that, he is relatively soft and not imposing.

On the offensive end of the puck things don't look much better. His only real asset is his skating. He is a good puck rusher, but his outlet passing skills are weak and he doesn't have much of a shot. He is also poor on the powerplay.

At the end of the day you have a defenseman that can't be depended on to produce offensively, nor can be depended on defensively.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with the way Alain Vigneault has treated Ballard. Ballard was able to get away with these deficiencies play on poor teams in Phoenix and Florida but was exposed when he was traded to Vancouver. Moreover, I don't even really blame Gillis for acquiring him, as I think it was a reasonable gamble at the time. However, Gillis is most certainly responsible for his failure to realize that Ballard was not the defenseman he was advertized to be, nor was he a good fit on this hockey team. Simply put, Ballard should have been traded in the summer after the Canucks went to the finals, even if it was just a dump. It made absolutely no sense to tie up 4.6 million dollars in salar the following year when the Canucks were competing for the Stanley Cup and were right up against the cap.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 06:12 PM
  #225
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I am not sure if that is an accurate assessment. I would agree that Ballard was decent, relativel speaking, in the Los Angeles series. However, forgetting Alain Vigneault and his use of Ballard, Ballard is still a defensemen with a ton of warts. The problem is that he is neither dependable defensively or offensively. His hockey IQ is very poor and as a result he make many poor defensive reads. His skating is very good, and as a result, he is able to cover up some of these errors. He is also isn't overly physical. He basically only has his hipcheck - other than that, he is relatively soft and not imposing.

On the offensive end of the puck things don't look much better. His only real asset is his skating. He is a good puck rusher, but his outlet passing skills are weak and he doesn't have much of a shot. He is also poor on the powerplay.

At the end of the day you have a defenseman that can't be depended on to produce offensively, nor can be depended on defensively.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with the way Alain Vigneault has treated Ballard. Ballard was able to get away with these deficiencies play on poor teams in Phoenix and Florida but was exposed when he was traded to Vancouver. Moreover, I don't even really blame Gillis for acquiring him, as I think it was a reasonable gamble at the time. However, Gillis is most certainly responsible for his failure to realize that Ballard was not the defenseman he was advertized to be, nor was he a good fit on this hockey team. Simply put, Ballard should have been traded in the summer after the Canucks went to the finals, even if it was just a dump. It made absolutely no sense to tie up 4.6 million dollars in salar the following year when the Canucks were competing for the Stanley Cup and were right up against the cap.
I'm going to disagree with some of your scouting there but I will agree that he should have been traded a while back if he wasn't going to be a part of the top 4 here.

Canucker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.