HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NY Post: Conn. Gov Pursuing NHL Franchise for Hartford

Old
01-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by proper animal View Post
I love the reference, and I know your post was tongue-in-cheek, but the income disparity in CT is pretty staggering. You're right about the wealthy NYC bedroom communities, but Hartford is far from there and is one of the poorer cities in the country. I don't know much about the business of hockey, but if it were my money, I wouldn't put a team in Hartford again.
As much as I miss seeing the Whalers around I agree with you: Hartford isn't getting another NHL team. The demographics just aren't there.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by proper animal View Post
I love the reference, and I know your post was tongue-in-cheek, but the income disparity in CT is pretty staggering. You're right about the wealthy NYC bedroom communities, but Hartford is far from there and is one of the poorer cities in the country. Even when the Whalers were still around, most of the people who live in southwest CT were Rangers fans. I don't know much about the business of hockey, but if it were my money, I wouldn't put a team in Hartford again.
Hartford in itself is a poor community, but the suburbs comprised of the 1.8 mil residents within 30 minutes are relatively wealthy especially when compared to the rest of the country.

NHL Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
The NHL just sets itself on fire for kicks with this incredibly damaging lockout, yet there are still people here who think the league is determined to expand to 32 teams?! Come on, guys. Really? The NHL will be a good few years getting over this lockout. Maybe someone will propose making up for lost revenue with expansion cash, but the majority will shoot that idea down as the biggest reason the NHL got into trouble in the first place.

Hartford is never going to happen, either. As relocation or expansion, the market just doesn't work.
Hartford is a good hockey market. They deserve a team. If a team can make it Winnipeg one can make it in Hartford. I am sure the league will expand. If you can get good owners in good markets why not?

atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
NHL Hartford

@joshkosman

Connecticut Governor Malloy in response to my Whalers scoop says, “This is something that has to play itself over time.”

3:54 PM - 7 Jan 13

Old
01-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
If the article stated a potential owner is pursuing an NHL Franchise for Hartford as opposed to the governor of Conn then it's more of a story.

Otherwise, it's just politics for now. But would love to see the Whale back none of the less

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
If the article stated a potential owner is pursuing an NHL Franchise for Hartford as opposed to the governor of Conn then it's more of a story.

Otherwise, it's just politics for now. But would love to see the Whale back none of the less
From what I gather it IS a potential owner contacting Malloy about the idea and not the other way around. The 1st report of the Governor forming a committee to bring the NHL back turned out to be false, but there has been groups talking to Malloy on the subject and it seems the latest one might be the real deal. The idea of the Whalers returning seems a lot more plausible and sensible to put time/effort towards for Malloy if he knows they're interested parties out there looking to pick up a lot of the legwork.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
CerebralGenesis

This is gonna be the next Kansas City before the next Ottawa

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
NickWIHockey

I wouldnt mind seeing the Whale back but i'd have to say that its in the 2nd tier with Places like Milwaukee or las Vegas, rather than Quebec or Seattle

NickWIHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Pursuing is too strong of a word. First, the XL center is not an option and while the state here as a whole has money for such a project, they haven't rounded up enough important people to make it happen.

I knew this "news" would make it here but people shouldn't even take this a bit seriously. Other cities also are ahead of them simply because of their desire for a team and/or have a new arena.

I would love for a team to come back but it's more likely that the state will continue to focus on helping Uconn grow. Not a pro sports team.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:32 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Pursuing is too strong of a word. First, the XL center is not an option and while the state here as a whole has money for such a project, they haven't rounded up enough important people to make it happen.

I knew this "news" would make it here but people shouldn't even take this a bit seriously. Other cities also are ahead of them simply because of their desire for a team and/or have a new arena.

I would love for a team to come back but it's more likely that the state will continue to focus on helping Uconn grow. Not a pro sports team.
One way to help UConn "grow" is to have their teams play in adequate, state-of-the-art arenas. That would be a good starting point especially with UConn Hockey joining HE beginning in 2014. UConn wants a solution for the XL Center and they'll get it whether that includes the group looking to purchase an NHL team or not. If Bushnell wins the rights to the XL Center it's conceivable they gather up investors along with UConn and make a pitch for a new arena or serious upgrades to the XLC.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
NHL Hartford

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/apps...82/1043/EVENTS

Across the Connecticut River, Bushnell Management Services has been running Rentschler Field for the past two years.

"The private company, which is a subsidiary unit of The Bushnell Center for Performing Arts, was created a few years ago as the Bushnell moved to diversify its business and expand its brand beyond Hartford. As part of an effort to ramp up that business, Bushnell has decided to team up with a cadre of Hartford businessmen to bid for the management of both XL Center and Rentschler field.

The company, called The Capital Region Sports and Entertainment Group LLC, includes downtown Hartford parking tycoon Alan Lazowski; Paul Pendergast, who is the former president of the St. Francis Hospital foundation and newly hired chief development officer of the Back9Network; James Carter, owner of Carter Realty; former Hartford Whaler Bobby Crawford, who is the CEO of Champions Skating Centers in Cromwell; Eric Zachs, a managing partner of Bantry Bay Ventures; and Peter Stevens, the president of JCJ Architecture in Hartford."

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 01-07-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 10:47 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 430
If Connecticut was willing to entirely fund a brand, spanking-new arena..... they'd probably still be behind Seattle, Quebec City, Portland if Allen's interested, and Houston if they get an ownership consortium together in getting a team.

If it's only a refurbishment, though.... they might as well be Saskatoon.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:57 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
Well it also helps that Connecticut is the 2nd richest state in the United States and largest tv market to not have a pro team. There's defiantly a lot of untapped potential for revenue in Hartford especially with the absence of another major league team.
CT more or less falls into the Boston sports sphere, no? A drive from Hartford to Boston takes less than two hours.

It isn't far from NYC either.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:29 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
CT more or less falls into the Boston sports sphere, no? A drive from Hartford to Boston takes less than two hours.

It's divided. I live in the south east of CT. Not quite on the shore and little farther away from new york but Yankees/Red sox is split almost 50-50.. obviously farther north/south plays a factor.

Alot of people who work in New york live in the wealthy CT shore towns.

A team in Hartford again would likely not have restrictions though and IF they developed a consistent winner, people would come, a new arena would help til then but the natives are front runners to the core.

As for the NHL, I don't know any hockey fans besides a few here on this site from the state. Anyone who was a Whaler fan is likely not a Rangers or Bruins and alot of them aren't even watching Hockey.. My Grandpa doesn't.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:23 PM
NHL Hartford

When it comes to hockey the Whalers dominate Central Connecticut.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:29 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I live in CT.

The NHL here is not going to work.

When you sit, in route between Boston and New York, two O6 Franchises, the fan base that you hope to tap into is beyond miniscule.

There is no Baseball team here - Yankees and Red Sox
There is no Basketball team here - Knicks and Celtics
There is no Football team here - Giants and Patriots

Hockey? - Rangers and Bruins

Never going to work.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Seattle and Quebec...........then maybe these guys.

Don't have a HARDford for Hartford.......*crickets*

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I live in CT.

The NHL here is not going to work.

When you sit, in route between Boston and New York, two O6 Franchises, the fan base that you hope to tap into is beyond miniscule.

There is no Baseball team here - Yankees and Red Sox
There is no Basketball team here - Knicks and Celtics
There is no Football team here - Giants and Patriots

Hockey? - Rangers and Bruins

Never going to work.

nonsense.. The team worked for over 15 years in Hartford. Yes it's diffcult and no they didn't have sellouts every night but it was a passionate fanbase.

If you wanna say it won't work out because the fans moved on fine.. I'd even say that no other sports team would work here but the NHL has.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I think the Hartford ship has sailed, personally.

To get a general feel for what a reconstituted Whalers team would look like, take a look at the Memphis Grizzlies. The cities are about the same size (Memphis is actually slightly larger), both have an extremely poor inner city with wealthier suburbs and outlying areas. The Grizzlies have made the playoffs five times in eleven seasons and have a lifetime average attendance of 14,803. That number doesn't exactly jump off the page.

If you look at Winnipeg and Quebec City - the other two lost WHA franchises - as models for Hartford to follow (one having an NHL team, the other well on its way), they need three things, in no particular order:

A modern, NHL-caliber arena.
A wealthy owner with soft spot for hockey.
Strong fan support, either through an existing minor league team or groups of barnstormers.

Those things will get you in the door and dancing (and, really, they could probably get by on faith with the fan support), but Hartford doesn't have any of that. The Whalers fan base is dispersed all over the eastern half of the country, and support for the Whale is pretty lousy. Folks aren't lining up for the chance to buy an NHL team and bring it to Hartford, either.

Furthermore, the league gains nothing from going there; Hartford is not a major TV market, and it's already well within the NHL's existing footprint. If they want to expand on the Atlantic, they would be better served in Baltimore or even Charlotte than Hartford.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
The NHL just sets itself on fire for kicks with this incredibly damaging lockout, yet there are still people here who think the league is determined to expand to 32 teams?! Come on, guys. Really? The NHL will be a good few years getting over this lockout. Maybe someone will propose making up for lost revenue with expansion cash, but the majority will shoot that idea down as the biggest reason the NHL got into trouble in the first place.

Hartford is never going to happen, either. As relocation or expansion, the market just doesn't work.
They need to fund the make whole somehow. It isn't going to be through the existing revenues that theynfought to get more (defeating the purpose of fighting to get an increased share)

But Hartford isn't getting a team.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Sounds like a long shot and it's news just to coincide with the end of the lockout trying to relate it with the possible return oaf the Whalers.

It reminds me, anyone have any update on how the lease negotiations with the AHL's Whale are doing? My understanding is it wasn't going too well.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:20 PM
GAGLine

They don't support the team they have. Why should they get an NHL team?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:39 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
They don't support the team they have. Why should they get an NHL team?
Because that's the AHL and Hartford likes to think it's a major league city.

wildthing202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Whaling is illegal.
Not on the moon it's not

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:34 PM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post

Hartford is usually the demarkation line of sports allegiances. People who live south and/or west of it are usually NY sports fans, those who are north and/or east of it are usually Boston fans. John Quick, Max Pacioretty, and Chris Drury all grew up in the part of CT that's more or less an NYC suburb and all grew up as Rangers fans. I think part of the Whalers problem was the TV deal -- if you lived close to NYC as they did/I do, you got Rangers/Islanders/Devils broadcasts and not Whalers ones. Only recently have I started getting NESN for the Boston teams too. If there was ever a team in Hartford, they'd need to figure out their broadcasting situation.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote