HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
coachbob

vCash: 500
How much is it worth to Wang to have some other team buy out his contract? What would he be willing to give up? 25 million or so to buy him out would be tough on Wang's pocketbook. There must be a trade option out there.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:37 AM
StrongIslanders90

Future of DiPietro?

With the New CBA granting 2 Amnesty Buyouts will DP finally be headed into the Isles Front Office?

Old
01-06-2013, 10:47 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Let's hope. If the Islanders want to show some 'big market savvy' en route to being a 'big market team,' now's the time to start acting like it and make it stick. Give ground to the new image by making a move that shows that winning is more important than one deficit on the roster.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:47 AM
goal1228

it all depends on if the islanders need to make the bottom of the cap hopefully they can get rid of him but i can see wang keeping him on the roster

Old
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
StumpNYI

Just heard on TSN that the buyouts can't happen until next summer. At least one more year of DP. With the shortened season this could really hurt us.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 50
There is no reason to keep him after this year. No reason at all. We amnesty him and throw that money and more at a Corey Perry or a Ryan Getzlaf.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Hip Of Rick

If Wang wants to show the the fans and hockey world he wants to win we buy out DP. If Wang wants to keep the circus DP stays

Old
01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 View Post
There is no reason to keep him after this year. No reason at all. We amnesty him and throw that money and more at a Corey Perry or a Ryan Getzlaf.
Exactly. He's more than damaged goods. Considering the new CBA makes teams wait till next summer, after this year DP is done as a player.

Would like to see him work with Howie though in the commentary booth.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Degeneration Rex

Maybe he can play for the University of Guam.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Exactly. He's more than damaged goods. Considering the new CBA makes teams wait till next summer, after this year DP is done as a player.

Use his cap hit this season and send him packing next summer.

Yeah I definitely see him taking a commentary job somewhere. If not with the Isles, then maybe VS. I'd listen to him over Butch any day of the week.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

I expect him to be a goner and in the front office by summer's end.

01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Maybe he gets "hurt" beyond repair and forced to retire this season. Cap hit is gone. Insurance pays for contract, I believe at least some, and he's not on the team. Give him a spot in the front office answering phones or something. Then we have two buyouts that we can use and no real bad contracts! Weird.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Please, please do not force him on us this year. We can't afford to lose games because of this guy.

I'm begging you, Charles. Let it go. Bench this guy and just call a spade a spade. It happens.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Isles Junkie

Let's keep all the DP talk in the DP discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post

Yes a thoudand times yes.

Once DP gets over the depression of no longer being a player, he will be a fantastic color man. He has the perfect personality for it, and Howie is an old pro who can ease him in to the role quite nicely.

I will be very disappointed if Rick is on the team in 2013-14

Old
01-06-2013, 01:08 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

If the buyout is in the summer, we'll have plenty of time to add salary so losing his 4.5M is not going to be a problem getting to the cap floor.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Let's hope. If the Islanders want to show some 'big market savvy' en route to being a 'big market team,' now's the time to start acting like it and make it stick. Give ground to the new image by making a move that shows that winning is more important than one deficit on the roster.
This is a very good point. Forget money, skill, all that jazz. This is a young team looking to become a contender with all the prospects waiting to make the big show, it would be a huge symbolic statement to permanently remove DiPietro from the Islanders organization (at least as a player, if he wants to be an assistant goalie coach or whatever that's fine).

People need to stop thinking of the Islanders as "that team who is still paying DiPietro " and start thinking of the Islanders as "that team with Tavares and all those kids who could become a powerhouse real soon".

Old
01-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Thumper17

DiPietro

Since the teams are getting amnesty buyouts. Do you guys figure you'll be buying out DiPietro? Thats a nasty contract, no matter how you look at it.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:36 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Nope

Old
01-08-2013, 04:55 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
The Islanders wont buy DP's contract out during amnesty. It makes too much sense.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
Since the teams are getting amnesty buyouts. Do you guys figure you'll be buying out DiPietro? Thats a nasty contract, no matter how you look at it.
I think he's a goner this summer and moving to the front office. If not this summer in 2014. Wang and Snow know they can't go to Brooklyn with him on that roster.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:46 AM
blitzkriegs

DP interview...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...n=jessespector

“It wasn’t just having games, but organized practices,” DiPietro said. “I think, mentally, that was more important than anything. Physically… I feel great. I’ve had such extensive surgeries, they say it takes a couple of years after that serious of surgery to actually feel back to yourself. I think a lot of the stuff was me rushing back too soon, or just having other stuff go wrong because you compensate for surgery that really hadn’t quite yet come back all the way. I’ve had some time off to get ready and get prepared, and I’m looking forward to it.”

Old
01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
DP interview...

“It wasn’t just having games, but organized practices,” DiPietro said. “I think, mentally, that was more important than anything. Physically… I feel great. I’ve had such extensive surgeries, they say it takes a couple of years after that serious of surgery to actually feel back to yourself. I think a lot of the stuff was me rushing back too soon, or just having other stuff go wrong because you compensate for surgery that really hadn’t quite yet come back all the way. I’ve had some time off to get ready and get prepared, and I’m looking forward to it.”
....is there really any positive spin to be placed on this?

If the Isles go with DP as a backup, it's basically an unspoken missive that they don't intend on taking advantage of a short season any further than prioritizing DP's sixth attempt at coming back over a playoff push in my opinion.

Maybe it's just me, but I've heard the "I feel great" talk three times too many to have a great deal of faith in it.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
DP interview...

the Famous last words that we hear every year from the Rick.
i only hope that this season he really does have to earn his spot and isnt thrown into the mix just because. it derailed us and killed a hot Montoya last season and in this short season a bad start will have us out of the playoff mix by mid-february

Old
01-09-2013, 11:34 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
....is there really any positive spin to be placed on this?

If the Isles go with DP as a backup, it's basically an unspoken missive that they don't intend on taking advantage of a short season any further than prioritizing DP's sixth attempt at coming back over a playoff push in my opinion.

Maybe it's just me, but I've heard the "I feel great" talk three times too many to have a great deal of faith in it.
probably three HUNDRED times too many. But even Lindsay Lohan will one day "change"

I've said three HUNDRED times, as have MANY on this board, over the past few years that the lottery is pre-determined before training camp. As it is this year. And DiPietro is the LEAST relevant contributor to this "goal"

The holes at forward and on defense is the reason why the NYI will get another top player next year. Just like the last five years. If DiPietro retires, same result.

With that said, in a shortened season, I can see Nabokov playing 35-40 games so the back-up will be less of an impact.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
in a shortened season, I can see Nabokov playing 35-40 games so the back-up will be less of an impact.
It may be shortened, but it will also be compressed. Expect to see more of the back-ups across the league.

Closed Thread