HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 06:05 PM
BUX7PHX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
From my understanding, it won't happen this season, but before next. Rangers are not one of those teams. Minnesota is. Toronto has about 1/3 of it's NHL roster going to be UFAs. A few teams will have a hard time re-signing their free agents (both RFAs & UFAs) and may need to make roster moves prior to free agency. Some will have to be creative and make minor trades to reduce their cap. I really don't see many Amnesty buy outs. Really, I don't see Chaos except for Minnesota. Vancouver will most likely trade Luongo. Another question is can Calgary re-sign Iginla (and the reason why I made that earlier post).Philadelphia will lose Pronger's hit and it shouldn't be an issue but they will have difficulty re-signing 38 yo Timonen. SJ may lose Clowe...
The Coyotes may be able to take advantage of teams that are trying to reduce payroll. The teams that tend to be the top draw for UFAs may not be in play as much as in the past, the next off-season will likely be a buyers market. About 1/2 of the teams are currently over $60 mil, all the teams will have UFAs coming off the books.
I wouldn't say chaotic, but it will be interesting. Jamison will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact, and I'm hoping he tries.
The following teams are in need of clearing cap space for next year, and open to trades (is there a trade deadline set with the reduced schedule?):

Boston
Chicago (maybe - would rather pursue Stalberg as a UFA)
Montreal (Galchenyuk is going to be up sooner rather than later, and the UFA/RFA situation are all bottom 6 contracts)
Philadelphia
San Jose (maybe - would rather pursue Clowe as a UFA)

That's honestly about it. Minnesota is not in awful shape, as the two contracts coming off are for Cullen and P.M. Bouchard - they could re-sign Cullen for a hometown discount, get the RFA D-men locked up for another 2 years at modest raises and fill 1 or 2 spots with rookies/call-ups.

FA could become a gold mine, just b/c teams may no longer be in a position to easily re-sign a certain player. I don't want to pick up a stretch run UFA in a trade and then have to worry about him bolting at the end of the season.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
moosemeister

I still want Lombardi

Old
01-06-2013, 08:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

A new tidbit in the CBA is that teams can eat up to three million in salary, in a trade. That's huge for us. We can acquire players in a trade for up to three million less. Really opens a ton of options for us moving forward.

01-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Vip
IFHY

vCash: 50
I believe someone already mentioned it but I'd be excited if we went for Milan Michalek.

I have him on the Coyotes on my 'Be a GM' mode in NHL13

Old
01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
A new tidbit in the CBA is that teams can eat up to three million in salary, in a trade. That's huge for us. We can acquire players in a trade for up to three million less. Really opens a ton of options for us moving forward.
I hadn't heard that, so is it 3m per year? Per the course of the deal?

Old
01-06-2013, 10:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I hadn't heard that, so is it 3m per year? Per the course of the deal?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1316707&page=7

I'm trying to get more answers, but check out what I've got so far. This could be huge for us.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:13 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
The following teams are in need of clearing cap space for next year, and open to trades (is there a trade deadline set with the reduced schedule?):

Boston
Chicago (maybe - would rather pursue Stalberg as a UFA)
Montreal (Galchenyuk is going to be up sooner rather than later, and the UFA/RFA situation are all bottom 6 contracts)
Philadelphia
San Jose (maybe - would rather pursue Clowe as a UFA)

That's honestly about it. Minnesota is not in awful shape, as the two contracts coming off are for Cullen and P.M. Bouchard - they could re-sign Cullen for a hometown discount, get the RFA D-men locked up for another 2 years at modest raises and fill 1 or 2 spots with rookies/call-ups.

FA could become a gold mine, just b/c teams may no longer be in a position to easily re-sign a certain player. I don't want to pick up a stretch run UFA in a trade and then have to worry about him bolting at the end of the season.
unfortunately the cap is only going down to ~$64mil not $60mil

Boston - Horton and Thomas are coming off the books; $57mil - 16 players
Chicago- $60.9-17 players
Minnesota- Backstrom will be a UFA and maybe allow Parrish's buy out cap hit to not be counted.
Philly-Pronger on LTIR won't count
SJ may lose Clowe and Murray to free agency

I disagree about acquiring a rental for the playoffs as long it's someone like Iginla for below his true trade value. This year it should be a buyers market for most of the season.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
I believe someone already mentioned it but I'd be excited if we went for Milan Michalek.

I have him on the Coyotes on my 'Be a GM' mode in NHL13
That was me and yeah, I really would like him on the team.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:48 PM
lanky

With Visnovsky giving the Isles the finger they are now desperate for defenders. Now might be the time to push for Nielsen. What is the most that you'd be willing to pay to get him?
Stone? Morris and Stone?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Vip
IFHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
With Visnovsky giving the Isles the finger they are now desperate for defenders. Now might be the time to push for Nielsen. What is the most that you'd be willing to pay to get him?
Stone? Morris and Stone?
I'd be okay with shipping Morris to NYI for Nielsen.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:24 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
unfortunately the cap is only going down to ~$64mil not $60mil

Boston - Horton and Thomas are coming off the books; $57mil - 16 players
Chicago- $60.9-17 players
Minnesota- Backstrom will be a UFA and maybe allow Parrish's buy out cap hit to not be counted.
Philly-Pronger on LTIR won't count
SJ may lose Clowe and Murray to free agency

I disagree about acquiring a rental for the playoffs as long it's someone like Iginla for below his true trade value. This year it should be a buyers market for most of the season.
Yes and no - Boston still has to lock up Rask (I believe he'd get a raise, but his salary is pretty hefty already) and add another D-man if they don't re-sign Ference. This would be a team that we could trade in only hockey deals with, where we give up talent, and we take talent back, just with a higher price tag.

Chicago would have to make decisions on Stalberg, Frolik, and Leddy - plus, McNeill will be in their lineup in 2 years, and his entry level deal will be about what Stalberg's hometown discount may be. They might have to clear room, given who they have on contract for the next 3 years, including this year.

All of those teams have scenarios that play out where they might move a piece now, prepping for some real tough decisions about who to keep. Maybe I'm buying into teams reducing their salary sooner, rather than later, but I think these are the only teams poised to reduce their salary. All other teams are fine for next year, in relation to cap space...

Old
01-08-2013, 02:46 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
I would be too but i believe D-Mo has an NTC.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:18 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
I wouldn't. Don't mess with success. I'd rather trade Stone, and he looks good. This is all based off of the assumption that the NYI would be looking to move Nielsen after he signed a shiny new contract with them. I doubt it. Maybe a deadline deal, but not now.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:20 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I wouldn't. Don't mess with success. I'd rather trade Stone, and he looks good. This is all based off of the assumption that the NYI would be looking to move Nielsen after he signed a shiny new contract with them. I doubt it. Maybe a deadline deal, but not now.
A deadline deal is in what, 3 weeks? Lol

Old
01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Numminen

Ville Leino. That guy has almost no value and Sabres are probably going to buy out his contract after the season. It would be high risk tho

Old
01-08-2013, 09:17 AM
DesertDawg

FYI April 5th is the deadline for this season

Quote:
Yes and no - Boston still has to lock up Rask (I believe he'd get a raise, but his salary is pretty hefty already) and add another D-man if they don't re-sign Ference. This would be a team that we could trade in only hockey deals with, where we give up talent, and we take talent back, just with a higher price tag.

Chicago would have to make decisions on Stalberg, Frolik, and Leddy - plus, McNeill will be in their lineup in 2 years, and his entry level deal will be about what Stalberg's hometown discount may be. They might have to clear room, given who they have on contract for the next 3 years, including this year.

All of those teams have scenarios that play out where they might move a piece now, prepping for some real tough decisions about who to keep. Maybe I'm buying into teams reducing their salary sooner, rather than later, but I think these are the only teams poised to reduce their salary. All other teams are fine for next year, in relation to cap space...
We are likely to see more trades than last season and teams will try to re-sign most of their free agents before 7/10. No teams are in dire need to make trades. But they may want to so they can stay competitive. Some teams may want to shed contracts because they don't expect/want to re-sign the soon-to-be free agent .: Toronto and Bozak, Connolly, and Lombardi (what I perceive as 3rd line centers for the 'Yotes). 1 team that intrigues me is the Wild with Clutterbuck and Backstrom reaching free agency and Harding as a question mark. I'm sure they would love to get Korpikoski (not advocating, but if the 'Yotes can get Clutterbuck and Setoguchi and only lose Korpi, I would be for it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post
I would be too but i believe D-Mo has an NTC.
According to capgeek, it's a limited NTC. What are the limits? Don't know. I like Stone and see him as the heir apparent to Morris. The Isles have better options than trading an asset (kinda like the 'Yotes) and the only defenders I would like the Coyotes to shop are Summers and/or Schlemko and only if the trade improves the roster.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
lanky

I didn't propose Summers or Schlemko because they have a very limited market value and yet because they ooze character and are a proven fit, they have value in Phoenix. Stone might have a good market value becuase of his youth, experience and upside. I'm not sure that he'd be enough to land Nielsen, but he could get the conversation started.

Stone, Chipchurra, 3rd round pick for Nielsen

Boedker - Nielsen - Korpikoski
Sullivan - Hanzal - Vrbata
Miele - Vermette - Doan
Torres - Gordon - Moss

Old
01-08-2013, 01:20 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Stone? Morris and Stone?
Nah.

The KHL is saying they will honor existing NHL contracts. Unless Vis retires, I expect he'll be a reluctant Isle.

Also, Newsday says ex-Islander Radek Martinek is skating with current NYI players on LI.Staples thinks he'll get a training camp tryout.

Martinek's a solid #4 d-man, who has can't stay healthy. Isles will role the dice on him in a shortened season.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
FYI April 5th is the deadline for this season

We are likely to see more trades than last season and teams will try to re-sign most of their free agents before 7/10. No teams are in dire need to make trades. But they may want to so they can stay competitive. Some teams may want to shed contracts because they don't expect/want to re-sign the soon-to-be free agent .: Toronto and Bozak, Connolly, and Lombardi (what I perceive as 3rd line centers for the 'Yotes). 1 team that intrigues me is the Wild with Clutterbuck and Backstrom reaching free agency and Harding as a question mark. I'm sure they would love to get Korpikoski (not advocating, but if the 'Yotes can get Clutterbuck and Setoguchi and only lose Korpi, I would be for it).

According to capgeek, it's a limited NTC. What are the limits? Don't know. I like Stone and see him as the heir apparent to Morris. The Isles have better options than trading an asset (kinda like the 'Yotes) and the only defenders I would like the Coyotes to shop are Summers and/oPor Schlemko and only if the trade improves the roster.
Again, the Wild are not in bad shape. The contracts of Bouchard and Cullen bring the Wild about $3 -4 million below the $64 million floor. They have 3 RFA D who each makes less than $1 million, and their top 2 prospects are a C/LW and D with modest entry-level deals. One of Setoguchi or Clutterbuck may go, but I doubt both would. I'd even say that they would rather deal Backstrom and his huge salary first, and pick up a goalie for about half the price. The idea is right, but the team can,stand pat.

As I have said before those other teams MAY choose to go the route of trades. The teams I mentioned all have scenarios where there is a certain player that they are planning on bringing back, but need to make a move to comfortably do so. I know that I have always advocated a Yandle to Boston trade. Peverley and Boychuk for Yandle is not a move that has to be made, but it is a deal that makes sense for both sides, as Boston has some RFAs coming up, and they would actually clear about $1.8 million in room. Some of that goes to Rask, some goes to a player like Caron, and now the Bruins have the exact same amount to spend on FA as before, but they were able to re-sign players without breaking the bank. Otherwise, they may lose an extension for Caron or Rask, b/c there wasn't a plan in place to see what money needs to go to which player...

Old
01-08-2013, 03:26 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Again, the Wild are not in bad shape. The contracts of Bouchard and Cullen bring the Wild about $3 -4 million below the $64 million floor. They have 3 RFA D who each makes less than $1 million, and their top 2 prospects are a C/LW and D with modest entry-level deals. One of Setoguchi or Clutterbuck may go, but I doubt both would. I'd even say that they would rather deal Backstrom and his huge salary first, and pick up a goalie for about half the price. The idea is right, but the team can,stand pat.

As I have said before those other teams MAY choose to go the route of trades. The teams I mentioned all have scenarios where there is a certain player that they are planning on bringing back, but need to make a move to comfortably do so. I know that I have always advocated a Yandle to Boston trade. Peverley and Boychuk for Yandle is not a move that has to be made, but it is a deal that makes sense for both sides, as Boston has some RFAs coming up, and they would actually clear about $1.8 million in room. Some of that goes to Rask, some goes to a player like Caron, and now the Bruins have the exact same amount to spend on FA as before, but they were able to re-sign players without breaking the bank. Otherwise, they may lose an extension for Caron or Rask, b/c there wasn't a plan in place to see what money needs to go to which player...
I don't think that the Wild really wants to put faith in Harding, considering he is diagnosis with MS. I also believe that goalies are measured by the guys in front of them and the goalies ability to trust and predict the 'D'. IMO, ATM, it's unlikely that the Wild will try to acquire a new goalie, but I do expect a discount. So that means re-signing Backstrom and still filling 6 other roster spots for under $7.5 mil. I don't see how they can replace Backstrom for the money that should be offered or if they can trust Harding to step up to #1. Clutterbuck is an ideal Tippet type player, and Setoguchi fills a need and is familiar with the Pacific.
That scenario of Yandle being traded to the Bruins may be (somewhat) fair, but I wouldn't want to trade Yandle unless if it's overpayment and fills needs. While Boychuk would be a good asset, he doesn't fill a need. It would mean moving Morris or Boychuk, so another team may have to be involved to make that scenario work. But I do not advocate trading Yandle until Gormley proves himself. And if Yandle is going to be traded, I hope he goes to the Bruins or 1 of the NYC(metro) teams. He deserves the consideration.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
I don't think that the Wild really wants to put faith in Harding, considering he is diagnosis with MS. I also believe that goalies are measured by the guys in front of them and the goalies ability to trust and predict the 'D'. IMO, ATM, it's unlikely that the Wild will try to acquire a new goalie, but I do expect a discount. So that means re-signing Backstrom and still filling 6 other roster spots for under $7.5 mil. I don't see how they can replace Backstrom for the money that should be offered or if they can trust Harding to step up to #1. Clutterbuck is an ideal Tippet type player, and Setoguchi fills a need and is familiar with the Pacific.
That scenario of Yandle being traded to the Bruins may be (somewhat) fair, but I wouldn't want to trade Yandle unless if it's overpayment and fills needs. While Boychuk would be a good asset, he doesn't fill a need. It would mean moving Morris or Boychuk, so another team may have to be involved to make that scenario work. But I do not advocate trading Yandle until Gormley proves himself. And if Yandle is going to be traded, I hope he goes to the Bruins or 1 of the NYC(metro) teams. He deserves the consideration.
Agreed that they can't put faith in Harding, but Backstrom is a UFA after this season, and his current contract is for $6 million/year. I doubt they bring him back, even if a discount is offered. Losing Backstrom, Cullen, and Bouchard drops their salary to about $55 million, with some RFAs on defense to re-up, won't be more than $2million per yr. A goalie and a bottom 6 guy rounds them out with $7 million to spend. They could get Mason for cheap, sign Cullen to a home-town discount, and still be about $3 million below the cap...

Old
01-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Vip
IFHY

Quote:
I didn't propose Summers or Schlemko because they have a very limited market value and yet because they ooze character and are a proven fit, they have value in Phoenix. Stone might have a good market value becuase of his youth, experience and upside. I'm not sure that he'd be enough to land Nielsen, but he could get the conversation started.

Stone, Chipchurra, 3rd round pick for Nielsen

Boedker - Nielsen - Korpikoski
Sullivan - Hanzal - Vrbata
Miele - Vermette - Doan
Torres - Gordon - Moss
I like that.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I like that.
Yeah, no way the Isles go for it. We'd have to sweeten the pot significantly, I'd think.

Maybe Klesla plus something significant or maybe BOTH Summers AND Stone. That might get them thinking. Chipchura has no trade value and they might not even want to use a contract on him at all. A third is a third. Not super enticing. I can't see Mike Stone (as great as he is) fetching such a proven asset as Nielsen. Stone just hasn't shown enough yet.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Vip
IFHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Yeah, no way the Isles go for it. We'd have to sweeten the pot significantly, I'd think.

Maybe Klesla plus something significant or maybe BOTH Summers AND Stone. That might get them thinking. Chipchura has no trade value and they might not even want to use a contract on him at all. A third is a third. Not super enticing. I can't see Mike Stone (as great as he is) fetching such a proven asset as Nielsen. Stone just hasn't shown enough yet.
I hate the thought of giving up Klesla
What about Stone and a 2nd? Or is that too much?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Quote:
I hate the thought of giving up Klesla
What about Stone and a 2nd? Or is that too much?
Probably more like not enough. I don't think they have any incentive to trade him away right now.

Think back to the Vermette deal, we got him for only two picks and an AHL goalie. But his value was down since he was playing poorly. Granted it was Columbus but still. Also his contract was a lot bigger, 3.75m per.

Nielsen, is a solid/reliable guy on a very cheap long term contract who plays for a team that wants cheap reliable players.

They probably don't move him till his salary expands to 3.5m as a deadline deal. I wouldn't anyway.

Closed Thread