HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Emergency Trade: Isles-Yotes

Old
01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
KrisBeKreame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Besides Radek, what about looking at Redden if he is bought out? Are there any special financial issues with doing that? I have no idea how he played in the AHL but for a one-year stop gap to give the kids one more year in Bridgeport wouldn't it make sense to look at him too?
Buy outs are not untill the next offseason.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
I really thought Isle fans would be all over this.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:58 PM
mitchy22

Don't get me wrong. My list wasn't what I think our defense should look like as much as it was what I believe to be the Isles current depth chart and potential plans to be.

Ness is ahead of Wishart on the depth chart. In terms of size, I wish Wishart used it more, but I'd much rather have a sizable defender back there given the current makeup as long as they're ready to play. I haven't seen Ty play at all this year, but hopefully he's gone back to being more steady. If he hasn't, that's pretty much why he isn't on the list as is. Plus, if the Isles were willing to go with Visnovsky, my guess is they wanted another PMD regardless of size. Ness fits that mold better than Wishart.

Ideally, I'd rather see Donovan in sheltered minutes with a sizable and steady veteran who doesn't currently exist on our team. I think he's close to ready to make the team; I don't think the current environment on defense is that great to step into though. I'm sure we'll get to talk about the defense more on our own board as camp opens up.

As far as Nelson is concerned, he could end up as a winger as much as a 2C. Same with Strome. There's no reason to pencil either in any place until we see how these kids start to work together, who is best on draws/assigments, etc. It's still a year or two before I think we'll get a clearer picture. I really don't see Nelson dropping in value; he's a big kid with skill who can skate. We'll find a spot for him.

If everyone pans out, we'll have a nice problem to deal with it, but we should be concerned when we actually see the problem of NHL players blocking prospects. We're far from that "problem" being the case. Between Nino, Nelson and Kabanov we should have some size coming to the top-6 in some form. We've been lacking that. If we have JT/Strome/Nielsen down the middle as "the plan", then we need all the sizable forward prospects we can groom so that some pan out. We'll also probably see Lee on the 3rd line in that future if he pans out. Nielsen between Lee and Martin to make up for the size problem there.

Again, this is just tossing stuff around. Strome isn't here. Nelson and Nino are in their first year of the AHL. Lee hasn't graduated, and Persson, Sundstrom or Ullstrom might end up being our 3rd line for all we know. Kabanov is injured. Lee might also end up showing he can score here and skate well enough to stay in the top-6, or not... Petrov may never come over...or he might.

I'm sure you see the point. The point is that we've got a lot of potential, but we've yet to see it in the NHL. Let the performance at the NHL level dictate who moves. Unless we're trading for a proven NHL performer or a clear upgrade in prospects, there's no reason to move a guy like Nelson. Our years of sucking has given us quality depth in the prospect pool. Let it grow or trade for more of a sure thing.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Besides Radek, what about looking at Redden if he is bought out? Are there any special financial issues with doing that? I have no idea how he played in the AHL but for a one-year stop gap to give the kids one more year in Bridgeport wouldn't it make sense to look at him too?
Redden has another year of his contract after this one. That's a clear "NO" for me. I'd much rather look forward to what we'd do with the $5.0 million in actual salary we wouldn't spend on him next year than see what he could do for us during this upcoming season at a prorated rate of the same exact salary. We really should add a body, but not at that kind of cost for next year. Komisarek would make more sense than Redden for this year and next. (About $3 million more sense. I'm thinking this team is going to spend incrementally more next season and then have a big boost the year before heading into Brooklyn.) If indeed Redden does get bought out, there will be other fish in that pond of 2013 free agency.

Mitch

Old
01-08-2013, 02:14 PM
mitchy22

Pencil Martinek in as the stopgap if he's definitely invited to camp. Maybe that'll at least buy a kid from Bridgeport half of a season to stay down there.

Mitch

Old
01-08-2013, 02:20 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Think you're right about not trading our forward prospects right now. The only tweak I would make on your post is that I would consider Ty Wishart as a possible 6/7 instead of Ness as he brings a little more size to the table. Probably would be his last chance so he should be motivated.
especially when you consider wishart is currently having his best form since joining the islanders (was good in the first 2 games back then). But he wont work out...

its ridiculous, without lubo we are suddenly so screwed. Its called depth, garth!

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Binx bolling's opinion on Donovan: bottom pairing potential in a few years

Pronman's opinion on Donovan: potential #3 nhl d-man.

Hmmm...I'm gonna give Pronman's opinion more weight.
gotta say i havent been impressed with donovan at the bridge this year. When we are playing well he is usually a huge part of that, but he can go completely MIA. Ness has been worse, weak defensively and ineffective (i actually like the plays he does try) on the rush and in the offensive zone.

If there were another choice, dont depend on these guys.

How many injuries are we gonna have this year? who will replace players, landry?

Old
01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post

Ness is ahead of Wishart on the depth chart. In terms of size, I wish Wishart used it more, but I'd much rather have a sizable defender back there given the current makeup as long as they're ready to play. I haven't seen Ty play at all this year, but hopefully he's gone back to being more steady.
Wishart hasnt looked steady! he usually seems to place himself in the most insolvable situations. Like stated above, he has looked better recently though.

ness didnt look good either this year...at no point at all!

Old
01-08-2013, 02:53 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
Wishart hasnt looked steady! he usually seems to place himself in the most insolvable situations. Like stated above, he has looked better recently though.

ness didnt look good either this year...at no point at all!
Then we're not looking that great for call-ups and we better get on adding more defenders in zero time at all.

Mitch

Old
01-08-2013, 03:13 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Not sure what you are implying. Is this not a fair trade?
See post which followed mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Nielsen eh? Gormley will look good in Islanders blue

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Pencil Martinek in as the stopgap if he's definitely invited to camp. Maybe that'll at least buy a kid from Bridgeport half of a season to stay down there.

Mitch
I see it buying Reinhart some time(fortunately). I still expect Donovan to be here though.

I really feel bad for CDH. IMO he'd be a clear-cut favorite right now if not for the injury. I remember seeing him in an interview after the draft, and you could tell he was itching to get a shot. Hopefully he can bounce back strong, whenever that may be.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I really thought Isle fans would be all over this.
Why?

Rundblad isn't a solid, top nhl 4 d-man at this point, which is what the NYI need. The upside is there, but I'd rather wait 1-2 seasons and then re-visit a possible Rundbald trade.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:29 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
See post which followed mine:
That was a joke, I thought the was enough but guess not.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:30 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
and I followed that up which a repsonse as to why Frans Nielsen wouldn't be traded, c'mon man.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:31 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Why?

Rundblad isn't a solid, top nhl 4 d-man at this point, which is what the NYI need. The upside is there, but I'd rather wait 1-2 seasons and then re-visit a possible Rundbald trade.
I think it's more of a "get him while you can" move. In 1-2 seasons, Rundblad will either be untouchable or a guy you wouldn't want to touch. The hope is that he eventually becomes the former. Personally I'm higher on Rundblad than most, I suppose, but I can see why a lot of people are not(risk-factor). Especially with Nelson involved.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:31 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
gotta say i havent been impressed with donovan at the bridge this year. When we are playing well he is usually a huge part of that, but he can go completely MIA. Ness has been worse, weak defensively and ineffective (i actually like the plays he does try) on the rush and in the offensive zone.

If there were another choice, dont depend on these guys.

How many injuries are we gonna have this year? who will replace players, landry?
I do think Donovan can play sheltered, 3rd pairing mins. So long as Snow's not asking him to play 20+ mins a night, I expect he'll be fine.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Redden has another year of his contract after this one. That's a clear "NO" for me. I'd much rather look forward to what we'd do with the $5.0 million in actual salary we wouldn't spend on him next year than see what he could do for us during this upcoming season at a prorated rate of the same exact salary. We really should add a body, but not at that kind of cost for next year. Komisarek would make more sense than Redden for this year and next. (About $3 million more sense. I'm thinking this team is going to spend incrementally more next season and then have a big boost the year before heading into Brooklyn.) If indeed Redden does get bought out, there will be other fish in that pond of 2013 free agency, better than giving up an asset to fill a spot.

Mitch
If Redden is bought out, he will be look for a new contract. IMO, he may be looking for retribution and may pick it up from what he has done in the 'A'. He made his money now he wants to prove that he has the talent to be in the NHL. Maybe worthwhile and cheap.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
I do think Donovan can play sheltered, 3rd pairing mins. So long as Snow's not asking him to play 20+ mins a night, I expect he'll be fine.
Worst case you'd figure he could at least give us a decent QB for our 2nd PP unit. That alone should be a big plus for this team. That said I agree he should be used in a 3rd pairing role with Carkner. At least until he proves he can handle more minutes.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think it's more of a "get him while you can" move. In 1-2 seasons, Rundblad will either be untouchable or a guy you wouldn't want to touch. The hope is that he eventually becomes the former. Personally I'm higher on Rundblad than most, I suppose, but I can see why a lot of people are not(risk-factor). Especially with Nelson involved.
and in 1-2 more seasons, I expect 6'3 200 lb Nelson to have continued to develop well and impress. Like Rundblad, he could be one of those players his gm considers too important to move.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:15 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
and in 1-2 more seasons, I expect 6'3 200 lb Nelson to have continued to develop well and impress. Like Rundblad, he could be one of those players his gm considers too important to move.
True, but like I said it's a matter of preference. With Tavares and Strome as well as the lack of high-end PMD's, I'd be open to this move or something similar. Obviously a lot of Isles fans aren't though and I respect that. Either way, doubt anything happens other than a Martinek-like signing.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
original islander

Quote:
Plus Garth moved up in the draft to get Nelson and passed over Jon Merrill in the process. Nelson then leaves school early to join the Islanders organization. Rundblad for Nelson is equal value but Garth would want better than equal value in any deal for Brock.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Carcillo was traded for Upshall and a 2nd. Need I say more?

Rundblad might end up being the worst of the three, but just looking at what he was traded for isn't a very good way to judge him.
That had to do more with cap structure than anything... Runblad and Turris didn't have that issue.. At the time Turris had more value

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Haha, I was expecting a Yandle trade. You got me. I'd rather keep Nelson, never been a huge fan of Rundblad.
Me too...

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote