HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres Defense

Old
01-08-2013, 04:36 PM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Sabres Defense

Darcy Regier stated today that he's already received calls for his defense. Buffalo has 10 NHL ready defenseman. It's HIGHLY unlikely they move Myers or Ehrhoff, but they are open for business and it looks like any of these 8 are very available: Leopold, Sekera, Regher, Weber, Pardy, Sulzer, McNabb, Brennan.

Let's make a deal.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Reddawg

I have to believe McNabb or Brennan will be moved, they both fill pretty much the exact same role very well and there just isn't room for both of them anytime soon. Pardy is obviously very expendable but won't bring much in return.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
is the answer jesus

I'd think that Sekera and Regehr are also in the unlikely to be moved group. Sekera plays a top 4 role, is young, and is inexpensive. Regehr seems unlikely as well seeing as how he waived his NTC to come here just over a year ago. I am interested to see what will be offered for some of the other defenseman we could potentially be shopping. IMO Leopold, Weber, or Pardy seem the most likely to be shopped.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Wild are short on D at the moment due to injury and may be looking to acquire some help. What kind of return would you be looking for in exchange for Mcnabb? Leopold is of interest too, especially being a Minnesota boy and all, but we'd have to dump some cap space to acquire him and I don't see Fletcher changing the roster much at all.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I have to believe McNabb or Brennan will be moved, they both fill pretty much the exact same role very well and there just isn't room for both of them anytime soon. Pardy is obviously very expendable but won't bring much in return.
I could see Brennan possibly being moved, but I doubt McNabb will be. Brennan has fantastic offensive skill, and does have a bit of a physical game, but he really needs more time to work on his defensive game, which he wouldn't get here as a 7th defenseman. McNabb's play is much more physical than Brennan's and he's got some offensive tools as well although they aren't quite as developed as TJ's. With that in mind I'd say the Sabres need a defenseman more in the mold of McNabb than Brennan. When Regehr possibly leaves after this year we'll be as soft as tissue paper on the blueline.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Darcy Regier stated today that he's already received calls for his defense. Buffalo has 10 NHL ready defenseman. It's HIGHLY unlikely they move Myers or Ehrhoff, but they are open for business and it looks like any of these 8 are very available: Leopold, Sekera, Regher, Weber, Pardy, Sulzer, McNabb, Brennan.

Let's make a deal.
i doubt Sekera or Regehr are available

in an even lower cap world, Sekera's 3 remaining years at 2.75 per are ****ing golden

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Dark Knight
We The North !!

Quote:

Let's make a deal.
I'll gladly take Andrej Sekera on Toronto.

I have reservations about our defense despite it being the area the team has heavily invested in.

What would it take to get Sekera to Toronto?

01-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Wild are short on D at the moment due to injury and may be looking to acquire some help. What kind of return would you be looking for in exchange for Mcnabb? Leopold is of interest too, especially being a Minnesota boy and all, but we'd have to dump some cap space to acquire him and I don't see Fletcher changing the roster much at all.
Leopold for Cullen

works for both sides, same cap hit,

Old
01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Leopold for Cullen

works for both sides, same cap hit,
I would do that trade in a heartbeat but didn't Cullen say no to Buffalo's offer a couple years ago in free agency? Cullen still has a partial NTC and even though I'd like to trade him, I don't see him going anywhere, especially considering he likely wants to finish his career in Minnesota and retire here since he's also a Minnesota boy.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:21 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I'll gladly take Andrej Sekera on Toronto.

I have reservations about our defense despite it being the area the team has heavily invested in.

What would it take to get Sekera to Toronto?
Kadri + Finn

Old
01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Kadri + Finn
I don't know if that's a good deal for us, I'd rather target Biggs. I'd like to hang on to Sekera and either deal Leo or Regehr.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:33 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Regehr and Sekera are staying.

If a team really likes Brayden McNabb's upside and has a young center or actual shutdown D, I'd look into that. Otherwise, Leo for depth or Pardy/Weber/whoever for scraps sounds good.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Kadri + Finn
I wouldn't even do that deal
Kadri is looking like a Connolly-esque prospect
and Finn is redundant

meanwhile, Sekera is an NHL Shutdown defensemen, only 26 yrs old, and signed for 3 seasons for 60-70% of his market value

Old
01-08-2013, 05:36 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I don't know if that's a good deal for us, I'd rather target Biggs. I'd like to hang on to Sekera and either deal Leo or Regehr.
As would I, but I think Sekera gets us the best return. I guess that trade depends on how you feel about Kadri. I like the idea of adding to this young core we have.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Regehr and Sekera are staying.

If a team really likes Brayden McNabb's upside and has a young center or actual shutdown D, I'd look into that. Otherwise, Leo for depth or Pardy/Weber/whoever for scraps sounds good.
agreed.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:37 PM
lifeisruff

Quote:

Let's make a deal.
Regher isn't going anywhere. NHL teams don't fly their owner, his wife and the head coach across the county to beg a player to waive his no trade clause. Only to trade said player a year later....bad juju

Weber is probably not going anywhere, he's really close with new acquisition, Steve Ott.

Sulzer is probably not going anywhere, he just resigned "this offseason"

Sekera I'll trade, but his value is pretty high.

and McNabb probably would require an over payment.

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:10 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
something around leopold and clutterbuck works for me with tinkering obviously but the caps would end up around a wash

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

You can have Butters... I mean Leopold for something.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
Regher isn't going anywhere. NHL teams don't fly their owner, his wife and the head coach across the county to beg a player to waive his no trade clause. Only to trade said player a year later....bad juju

Weber is probably not going anywhere, he's really close with new acquisition, Steve Ott.

Sulzer is probably not going anywhere, he just resigned "this offseason"

Sekera I'll trade, but his value is pretty high.

and McNabb probably would require an over payment.
Basically this. McNabb and Sekera would cost an arm and a leg, and trading Regehr or Weber would make our team look bad. Realistically, Sulzer wouldn't be off the board but Leopold is definitely in play.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
something around leopold and clutterbuck works for me with tinkering obviously but the caps would end up around a wash
I'd like that deal too, we'd have to add a significant asset with Leopold to make it work. With Tropp out for the year, Mccormick still fighting that finger issue, and Gerbe coming off a major surgery we need another body and a guy with some sandpaper to his game like Clutterbuck would be perfect.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:09 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
I'd like that deal too, we'd have to add a significant asset with Leopold to make it work. With Tropp out for the year, Mccormick still fighting that finger issue, and Gerbe coming off a major surgery we need another body and a guy with some sandpaper to his game like Clutterbuck would be perfect.
Ott-?-Clutterbuck would be a fun third line to watch, but I'd rather make a deal for a center. We need someone who can win draws, handle a lot of defensive zone starts, PK, etc.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:11 PM
BlueDream

I'm sure the Blues have made a call. I'd be interested in quite a few of those guys, not sure what Buffalo would want in return.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:14 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Leopold is by far the most likely to be moved, imo. For the sake of this thread, maybe we should more or less just focus on him.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:28 PM
caley

Quote:

Let's make a deal.
Let's look at these 10.

Myers and Ehrhoff aren't going anywhere. Both are locked up for a while, both are building blocks of the team.

Weber, Pardy, Sulzer and Brennan won't be going anywhere either. Weber because he's young, physical and signed to a decent contract and the Sabres are trying to become more difficult to play against. Pardy because he's overpaid for what he is a physical #6-8 defenceman. Sulzer because if other teams were really interested, they could have had him earlier and he impressed Buffalo enough last year to get a 1-way deal but probably no other team enough to justify acquiring him. And Brennan because he's a solid prospect who might be ready, but every team in the league has their own version of that.

So that leaves us with just 4
-McNabb: I'd be shocked if he's moved. He's big, physical, young and played extremely well last year for the Sabres. Plus, he's not waiver eligible IIRC, so I don't see the incentive to moving him. If there's no room for him, let him play one more year of AHL hockey.
-Sekera: Signed to a reasonable contract, can move up or down the lineup depending on injuries and depth. Solid defensively, I think he stays put.
-Leopold: Definite candidate to be moved. He's a solid offensive defenceman. But, realistically, Myers and Ehrhoff are both better on the power-play. He's good in his own end, but Sekera is better and cheaper. I wouldn't anticipate much coming back in return, probably a pick or prospect.
-Regehr:I think he's the other possibility. Calgary fans warned when he was moved that he wasn't the same player he once was, and he isn't. He's still physical, but he's slow and can lose coverage to quick players, and with a $4+ million cap hit, he's not cheap, either. But, he still has a good reputation around the league as a tough shutdown defenceman and a playoff team with injuries to the blueline, a team looking to add a physical element, or a confident coach who thinks he can use him/turn around his play could/would all be interested

So, the most likely candidate to move is Leopold, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Regehr either. His grit and leadership could help a team that's lost some (For instance, to Dallas to replace Souray and Pardy).

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:32 PM
StringerBell

I'd be interested in Brennan. Not sure where Buffalo stands on him.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote