HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Is the light getting brighter?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
racerjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I have already alluded to this racerjoe, what are you trying to do, step on my toes now? You need a timeout.
Sorry, I jumped the gun, thought we were going around in circles and wanted to skip a head...

Old
01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Really? I say no, Kassian for Gardiner is a wash, but we don't need Gardiner as much as we need Kass, and Kadri Connelly for Lui and Raymond is terrible.
That's an interesting perspective because I wouldn't even trade Kadri for Kassian straight up.

Old
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Not trading Kassian. Everyone talks about how small, weak..etc we are. Not going to trade the Power Forward we traded Hodgson for. Goes DIRECTLY against Gillis' idea of a bigger team.

Also:

‏@benkuzma
Schneider on possibility of having Luongo at camp: "The best guy will play and there are worse things in the world than having ...

@benkuzma
... a world-class goalie pushing you and forcing you to be at your best. Roberto and I have dealt with this for two years now ...

@benkuzma
... we're not unfamiliar with the scrutiny and pressure and whatever you guys want to call it. We respect each other."

&

@benkuzma
Schneider on not knowing who is backup may be: "It's never awkward. It's a label that people put on it. I'm a pretty affable guy ...

@benkuzma
... Whoever does come in will be to my benefit and you can learn things from anybody. I'll just wait and see what happens."

But I'm sure we shouldn't trust what they say
Of course not. Don't let Schneider's obvious lies fool you. There will be a huge controversy because he secretly hates Luongo.

Old
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
He sure is... for another year or maybe two, before his play starts declining? This isn't a 25-26 year old elite goaltender we're talking about here. Roberto is 34 years old and his last showing in the playoffs wasn't exactly inspiring.
And goalies have been known to play pretty well until their forty. So what?

Marty is forty and he just signed another 2 yr contract. They are very similar goalies.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Not trading Kassian. Everyone talks about how small, weak..etc we are. Not going to trade the Power Forward we traded Hodgson for. Goes DIRECTLY against Gillis' idea of a bigger team.

Also:

‏@benkuzma
Schneider on possibility of having Luongo at camp: "The best guy will play and there are worse things in the world than having ...

@benkuzma
... a world-class goalie pushing you and forcing you to be at your best. Roberto and I have dealt with this for two years now ...

@benkuzma
... we're not unfamiliar with the scrutiny and pressure and whatever you guys want to call it. We respect each other."

Bromance?

Quote:
&

@benkuzma
Schneider on not knowing who is backup may be: "It's never awkward. It's a label that people put on it. I'm a pretty affable guy ...

@benkuzma
... Whoever does come in will be to my benefit and you can learn things from anybody. I'll just wait and see what happens."

It's nice that they both have such respect for each other, and that Luongo is the constant professional too, but I really do wonder how long they can push this. Can they do it for an entire year? Maybe, but not beyond.

Old
Vorkosh

Quote:
Really? I say no, Kassian for Gardiner is a wash, but we don't need Gardiner as much as we need Kass, and Kadri Connelly for Lui and Raymond is terrible.
Not really terrible, you're basing the wash between Kassian and Gardiner on potential. We need gardiner more than Kassian. We are stocked on wingers. Getting Gardiner means making Ballard expendable, hence dumping his contract as well and freeing up space.

Kadri is needed at this point due to the uncertainty of Malhotra and Kesler's return. Lui's already out the door, Raymond isn't a huge loss, there's no room for him in Vancouver's retarded winger depth.

It's not a bad deal for both sides really. TO gets a burke type player in Kassian and they get a goalie that's miles ahead of any goalie they've had not named Felix Potvin

Old
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
That's an interesting perspective because I wouldn't even trade Kadri for Kassian straight up.
Homer

Old
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

Marty is forty and he just signed another 2 yr contract. They are very similar goalies.
No similarities between Marty Brodeur and Roberto Luongo. At all. Not even in playing style.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Of course not. Don't let Schneider's obvious lies fool you. There will be a huge controversy because he secretly hates Luongo.
I had something groundbreaking to add to the discussion...but when I saw that Avatar...I forgot.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
What if nucks throw in some cap space and bring Luo's hit down to 2.375
Do you really think Gillis wants to have 3 million in dead space for the next couple years?

Old
Roboholic

Quote:

Then there is really no reason for Vancouver to trade him. Trade Schneider, you'll get more for him.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Sorry, I jumped the gun, thought we were going around in circles and wanted to skip a head...

You thought wrong, commence circling.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
@Vankiller Whale in response to Kadri, Bozak, Finn and Franson vs Kadri, Kulemin and Finn:

I think Toronto values the second package quite a bit higher than the first.

I'm certainly open to the Leafs keeping Bozak due to chemistry if Vancouver doesn't value him too highly. What about substituting Bozak out for a 2nd rounder or a futures value comparable to Bozak's?

Say:

Kadri
Finn
Franson
2nd

for

Luongo
I have been saying Kadri + Finn + Franson + Connolly for the last bit here.

Really when you look at it, Kadri and Finn both provide some value to Vancouver but are fairly expendable to Toronto.

Connolly and Franson both fill depth roles in Vancouver and are essentially bought for cents on the dollar.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
sully1410

Quote:
No similarities between Marty Brodeur and Roberto Luongo. At all. Not even in playing style.
Shush.

My point is that they have both had ups and downs and been franchise goalies for their entire careers. they have pretty even talent levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
What does Ms. Cleo do for a living?
Tells fake fortunes. What does that have to do with something that has been obvious from the friggen get go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
Then there is really no reason for Vancouver to trade him. Trade Schneider, you'll get more for him.
Oh I agree. there really is no reason to trade him.

Last edited by TMI: 01-08-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Shush.

My point is that they have both had ups and downs and been franchise goalies for their entire careers. they have pretty even talent levels.
Did I just get shushed?

Marty was / is talented enough to bring home the hardware, repeatedly, over his career. Roberto is more Ed Belfour-esque.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Not in the Leafs eyes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
You are way overrated your players then, I can understand if you want Gardiner more, as to you with your current roster, he should be more valuable. But currently, and even on potential they should be a wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
Not really terrible, you're basing the wash between Kassian and Gardiner on potential. We need gardiner more than Kassian. We are stocked on wingers. Getting Gardiner means making Ballard expendable, hence dumping his contract as well and freeing up space.

Kadri is needed at this point due to the uncertainty of Malhotra and Kesler's return. Lui's already out the door, Raymond isn't a huge loss, there's no room for him in Vancouver's retarded winger depth.

It's not a bad deal for both sides really. TO gets a burke type player in Kassian and they get a goalie that's miles ahead of any goalie they've had not named Felix Potvin
Umm, have you seen our D? Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa all locked up long term, with Tanev and Ballard. Corrado on the way.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Did I just get shushed?

Marty was / is talented enough to bring home the hardware, repeatedly, over his career. Roberto is more Ed Belfour-esque.
To be fair...that Devils team was stacked.

But Belfour works as well...who the TML signed at the age of 37.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Minimalist*

What about

Bozak
Kulemin
Frattin

for

Luongo
Raymond

?

Old
01-08-2013, 05:12 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
You are way overrated your players then, I can understand if you want Gardiner more, as to you with your current roster, he should be more valuable. But currently, and even on potential they should be a wash.
How are they currently a wash? Even if you think their potential is the same Gardnier is much more proven at the NHL level. I dont think we are the ones overrating out player here.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Also:

‏@benkuzma

@benkuzma

@benkuzma

&

@benkuzma

@benkuzma

Its been pretty annoying hearing "you need to trade them locker room cancer etc etc"

I think having both goalies this season is 100% an option.
However, moving one asset (Luongo) to make your roster better is the better option.
If the teams not going to improve, then it doesn't make sense to move him until later.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:13 PM
blankall

Quote:
To be fair...that Devils team was stacked.

But Belfour works as well...who the TML signed at the age of 37.
And...there are plenty of examples of goalies who fall off after 35. The simple truth of the matter is that there is no way to predict whether Luongo's play will remain consisted aged 35-40.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:14 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
And...there are plenty of examples of goalies who fall off after 35. The simple truth of the matter is that there is no way to predict whether Luongo's play will remain consisted aged 35-40.
How many have been of Lu's talent level?

Old
01-08-2013, 05:16 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
How are they currently a wash? Even if you think their potential is the same Gardnier is much more proven at the NHL level. I dont think we are the ones overrating out player here.
Yeah 1 season vs a part season... seems way more proven. Until this last season it wasn't even close. Kassian's pedigree has been much more this entire time, and he has now spent half a season playing in the NHL.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:17 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Homer
They are both the same age and Kadri has more goals, assists, points per game.

But yea preferring Kadri makes us homers

Old
01-08-2013, 05:17 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
What about

Bozak
Kulemin
Frattin

for

Luongo
Raymond

?
Grabovski
Kulemin
Finn

might get you Luongo and Raymond.

A deal around a journeyman 2-3 tweener like Bozak doesn't get you that package.

Closed Thread