HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 08:22 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
So I'm going to assume the difference between Gauthier and Keven Veilleux is intelligence? Because Veilleux had the big body, was hyped before the draft, and hasn't panned out. I wouldn't want to draft a 6'5 centre just for the sake of it.
Gauthier's main asset(IMO) is the IQ. And that's what I look first at in a player. Those(high IQ players) are usually who become the best players. Because you can teach a guy how to defend or skate, but hockey sense is harder to improve. Gauthier has high IQ, and on top of that he has the potential to become a physical beast and score a good amount of points in the pros.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:06 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Why, because of the WJC? Jones had more than his fair share of ups and downs in the tournament. It's not like he dominated across the board.

IMO the only guys in the top ten who had their stock helped by the WJC were Drouin and Lindholm. And naybe Ristolainen, if he's in your top ten.

Then again, it's all relative to how much emphasis you put on a 7 game sample size.
Risto was not very good...he continually looks good with the puck, while making small mistakes away from the puck that in the end cost his team. He'll need to fix that. He's in the 2nd group of prospect because of that imo, but he clearly his a specimen that could put it all together at some point, just a high risk factor.

Jones was good, but he wasn't good like a run away #1 in any draft. Mckinnon was allowed to play for 40 min for team Canada and he changed the whole game. (vs Russia). Mckinnon ability to take over games and dominate is only matched by Lindholm in my opinion, that is why this is the real fight for the #1 in my book. And right now Lindholm is just more complete on the defensive side than Mckinnon.

Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of how Team Canada is managed, year after year, the same old song. Mckinnon was one of our best center, he should have been used as such, with Drouin for the whole tournament. I will also always remember how Spott sent his freaking 4th line to start the game vs the US...holy ****, this isn't the CHL.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
pcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Risto was not very good...he continually looks good with the puck, while making small mistakes away from the puck that in the end cost his team. He'll need to fix that. He's in the 2nd group of prospect because of that imo, but he clearly his a specimen that could put it all together at some point, just a high risk factor.

Jones was good, but he wasn't good like a run away #1 in any draft. Mckinnon was allowed to play for 40 min for team Canada and he changed the whole game. (vs Russia). Mckinnon ability to take over games and dominate is only matched by Lindholm in my opinion, that is why this is the real fight for the #1 in my book. And right now Lindholm is just more complete on the defensive side than Mckinnon.

Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of how Team Canada is managed, year after year, the same old song. Mckinnon was one of our best center, he should have been used as such, with Drouin for the whole tournament. I will also always remember how Spott sent his freaking 4th line to start the game vs the US...holy ****, this isn't the CHL.
Lol USA started theyre 4th line in the last 4 games and won gold.... Plus Spott put up is 4th line so that the usa checking line would not be matched with canadas first line

Old
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
Lol USA started theyre 4th line in the last 4 games and won gold.... Plus Spott put up is 4th line so that the usa checking line would not be matched with canadas first line
You are assuming our 4th line was equal to theirs...it wasn't. A sick McNeil, with a "aggressiveness limited" (suspension) Camara and a total non-grinder Mckinnon, sounds dysfunctional enough to you?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Mathletic

Defenseman Matt Murphy traded from Val d'Or to Halifax today. Should be interesting how he develops the rest of the year.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
So I'm going to assume the difference between Gauthier and Keven Veilleux is intelligence? Because Veilleux had the big body, was hyped before the draft, and hasn't panned out. I wouldn't want to draft a 6'5 centre just for the sake of it.
I can assure you that the only place Veilleux was truly hyped was on HFboards.....Montreal's head scout for one was far from enamoured with his work ethic. there's a huge difference between the two beside IQ, and that is heart/competitiveness. Gauthier plays to win.

When he gets stronger his first step will be fine, and so will his physical game. I do see some similarities to Couturier, especially on the defensive end. Not sure he has Cout's offensive upside, but he may be a better skater.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I can assure you that the only place Veilleux was truly hyped was on HFboards.....Montreal's head scout for one was far from enamoured with his work ethic. there's a huge difference between the two beside IQ, and that is heart/competitiveness. Gauthier plays to win.

When he gets stronger his first step will be fine, and so will his physical game. I do see some similarities to Couturier, especially on the defensive end. Not sure he has Cout's offensive upside, but he may be a better skater.
Alright, thanks for your insight Grant!

By the way, said Head scout of the Habs was sighted yet again at a 'Q game, this time in Victoriaville as the Sags are visiting the Tigres.

My guess is he wants another view at Laurent Dauphin, as Grégoire was just traded to Baie-Comeau.

I absolutely love the fact that he scouts so much in Québec this year considering how strong the draft is for our league!

Old
01-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Alright, thanks for your insight Grant!

By the way, said Head scout of the Habs was sighted yet again at a 'Q game, this time in Victoriaville as the Sags are visiting the Tigres.

My guess is he wants another view at Laurent Dauphin, as Grégoire was just traded to Baie-Comeau.

I absolutely love the fact that he scouts so much in Québec this year considering how strong the draft is for our league!
Yeah it's a ridiculous year in the Q. Never seen it that deep. I think there will be some late round and undrafted steals from there simply because teams don't expect that much depth from there.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I thought the official league of the Habs was NCAA and American prep schools.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I thought the official league of the Habs was NCAA and American prep schools.
Nice timing for Hudon, 2 pts already so far, and from what I'm hearing, he's having a nice game.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Et le But

If only Hudon can stay healthy.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Surely about Gauthier becoming stronger. Just that in the Q, he's already bigger and a lot stronger that most of the guys. I'm just afraid it's not really in him. Again though, he doesn't have to hit people in the stands every other night either. Was just a few points I wanted to add as he's really a favorite of mine, hoping we could get him somehow...not holding my breath though.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Is Antropov a comparable when comparing Gauthier. Not great offensively but has a big body that can chip in a few and can be a good 3rd line shutdown type of guy. Or maybe Boyle ?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Simerc

Sounds like Hanzal to me.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Surely about Gauthier becoming stronger. Just that in the Q, he's already bigger and a lot stronger that most of the guys. I'm just afraid it's not really in him. Again though, he doesn't have to hit people in the stands every other night either. Was just a few points I wanted to add as he's really a favorite of mine, hoping we could get him somehow...not holding my breath though.
Why not? If there's a guy I see falling into our 1st rounder, it's him. Or maybe you see the Habs ending the year better than 15th overall.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Why not? If there's a guy I see falling into our 1st rounder, it's him. Or maybe you see the Habs ending the year better than 15th overall.
With all is said and done, at worst, I'd predict Gauthier to leave between 25-30. At the very worst. You can't overlook that size and IQ and if he ends up continuing on that point total, why would he slip past the 1st? I know, 'cause there are a lot of great players in there, yet, he is amongst them.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:06 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
With all is said and done, at worst, I'd predict Gauthier to leave between 25-30. At the very worst. You can't overlook that size and IQ and if he ends up continuing on that point total, why would he slip past the 1st? I know, 'cause there are a lot of great players in there, yet, he is amongst them.
I agree with you. I think he's a first rounder too. And I wouldn't be scared to pick him with our 1st pick if it's beyond the top15.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Fozz

Quote:

In other words, Gauthier's upside is a 3rd line center in the NHL... Not sure I'd spend a 1st round pick on that projection.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
In other words, Gauthier's upside is a 3rd line center in the NHL... Not sure I'd spend a 1st round pick on that projection.
He's going to be a 3rd line Center in the NHL at worst. That's far from his upside.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
He's going to be a 3rd line Center in the NHL at worst. That's far from his upside.
Check this teams history of drafting big players with skating issues in the first round...........scares the **** out of me.

Thankfully Timmins hasn't made that mistake yet.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
You can't even say that. The same was said about leblanc, and while i think its probable he will be a good third liner, it's still not a guarantee

Old
01-09-2013, 09:14 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
You can't even say that. The same was said about leblanc, and while i think its probable he will be a good third liner, it's still not a guarantee
He could have a career ending injury indeed. But barring that, Leblanc will be just that, a good 3rd liner. I've been saying it, but if Leblanc ends up as a 3rd liner for us, our team will be in pretty good shape.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
MaxLacoste

That's a reason why I love our 3 second round picks so much. With all the depth in the Q this year, we could draft a talented french canadian. I would always pick talent first, but when you have the chance to draft a talented player that grew up watching your favorite team, you draft him. Some players (Gauthier, Mantha, Carrier) have the tool and frame we need AND they are french canadian. And we could get one of them in the 2nd round. So much hype for the next draft, I'm really looking for it.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
That's a reason why I love our 3 second round picks so much. With all the depth in the Q this year, we could draft a talented french canadian. I would always pick talent first, but when you have the chance to draft a talented player that grew up watching your favorite team, you draft him. Some players (Gauthier, Mantha, Carrier) have the tool and frame we need AND they are french canadian. And we could get one of them in the 2nd round. So much hype for the next draft, I'm really looking for it.
You have to go with the BPA. Talent and growing as a Habs fan isn't enough if the player don't have real pro potential. I know it's a good draft for the Q, and I know we'll hear a lot of talks about our need to draft some of them, but we have to go for the BPA. Therefore, a lot of people will be unhappy for a while, but in the long run, we have to trust Timmins.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Check this teams history of drafting big players with skating issues in the first round...........scares the **** out of me.

Thankfully Timmins hasn't made that mistake yet.
He doesn't have skating issues..quite the opposite.

Closed Thread