Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Prospects Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Horak has been playing on the wing more. He has a nice skill set, he could be any where from a 3rd to 2nd line player, he will be an NHL'er though. As a center, I agree that his ceiling is probably that of around a very good 3rd line player. But I think it is to early to accurately predict how he will pan out and alot has to do with our organizational depth as well. At this point, I think he has a better chance of playing in the top 6 as a winger down the road.

Granlund is a little harder to read. Many of us on here do not get to see him a lot and he plays on a poor team. I actually quite like what I've seen from Granlund, I just think he needs to continue to work on his skating and a few other things. I also agree, I think he will either be top 6 or bust but I think he is very under appreciated as a prospect largely in part to his brother.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:47 PM
alexfr

vCash: 500
Thanks guys, I was very hopeful with Horaks hot start but he seems to have hit the same wall as last year which is disappointing

alexfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Flames92

According to @dankinvigsports on twitter Baerstchi is practicing with the team so thats good news, hopefully he will be good to go when the flames come back

https://twitter.com/dankinvigsports

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
According to @dankinvigsports on twitter Baerstchi is practicing with the team so thats good news, hopefully he will be good to go when the flames come back

Maybe there is a god afterall

Please Sven keep your precious head in good health. Calgary needs you!!

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:56 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:

Surely you are joking, if not well he should be better by next year.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Surely you are joking, if not well he should be better by next year.
Theres a very good chance that hockey is coming back January 19th. There way too close to cancel a season at this point

Old
01-03-2013, 05:41 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Theres a very good chance that hockey is coming back January 19th. There way too close to cancel a season at this point
I've got my hopes up many times so far only to realize that it is going no where. So I'll believe it when I see a deal is made

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarome iginla View Post
maybe there is a god afterall

Please sven keep your precious head in good health. Calgary needs you!!
this!!!

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Flames92

Baerstchi spoke with Pat Steinberg on the FAN960 this afternoon. He said he feels 100% but still needs to get back into the rhythm with more team pratices. He's a gametime decision for tommorow's game.

Would love to see Sven back into the lineup but I really hope they don't rush him.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Baerstchi spoke with Pat Steinberg on the FAN960 this afternoon. He said he feels 100% but still needs to get back into the rhythm with more team pratices. He's a gametime decision for tommorow's game.

Would love to see Sven back into the lineup but I really hope they don't rush him.
Finally, looks like the Heat may be winning more games now!

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Anyone have an update on Jankowski? I thought he would have returned to the lineup after the holidays? Noticed he didn't dress last game... Maybe his hip injury is more serious than originally thought?

Old
01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

The Flames have been extra cautious with Sven and for good reason. They will not rush him back until they are sure he's 100% ready. Sven feels good, and Ward said he looked sharp in practice, but they are just making sure first they are no set backs after he's got a couple of practices in. He's been medically cleared to play, if he has no further symptoms after these last couple practices then he'll be playing in the Heat's next game.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Money Baer
COYS

Laurent Brossoit has been on fire since being cut from the evaluation camp... 45save shutout last night.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Markus Granlund records 3 more assists today.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:54 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Markus Granlund records 3 more assists today.
Wow, what a great tourney for him. Not convinced he will be an NHL player but wow, he has some great offensive skill.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:37 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Wow, what a great tourney for him. Not convinced he will be an NHL player but wow, he has some great offensive skill.
I really want him to make the Flames in a substantial manner, so I can call him Granny Markus.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

If Markus didn't have Mikael as his brother, he would be getting far more hype this tournament. 12 points in the WJ's is dam impressive no matter how you look at it.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:48 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
If Markus didn't have Mikael as his brother, he would be getting far more hype this tournament. 12 points in the WJ's is dam impressive no matter how you look at it.
Yeah I agree with you, he gets a little overshadowed by his brother. At the same time, (and this is just my opinion, I have only seen him play maybe 10 times) I find him a little one dimensional, and while he is very skilled offensively he isn't really "elite" at anything. I think he has the skill to be a 2nd line winger, I feel like his lack of a well rounded game might keep him from becoming one at the NHL level though.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I've seen him play maybe 7-8 times and I agree, he's not elite at anything but I'd say his offensive skillset is very good. He's more than capable of generating offence on his own, he's a good finisher, he has good vision and has above average hands. His skating is average, and his size isn't great either but he does work hard.

The difference IMO between him and Gaudreau is that JG's hockey sense and skill is off the charts, whereas MG is very good in those areas. Granlund does have the potential to be a 2nd line player, but I agree that's his ceiling and he's no guarantee to make it, but he is still a very good prospect and he should get more props.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I've seen him play maybe 7-8 times and I agree, he's not elite at anything but I'd say his offensive skillset is very good. He's more than capable of generating offence on his own, he's a good finisher, he has good vision and has above average hands. His skating is average, and his size isn't great either but he does work hard.

The difference IMO between him and Gaudreau is that JG's hockey sense and skill is off the charts, whereas MG is very good in those areas. Granlund does have the potential to be a 2nd line player, but I agree that's his ceiling and he's no guarantee to make it, but he is still a very good prospect and he should get more props.
Nice assessment.

I think it's important to note he's also playing in a mens league. He just saw him dominate against the best U20's. (his age). I have a feeling the tournament will induce confidence, and we will see his numbers start to go up...

I remember being very disappointed after watching him at the Flames development camp this August... Hopefully he this will be a defining turning point in the right direction.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:14 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
As nice as his offensive production is in this tournament has been, you simply can't over look the fact that 7 of his 12 points came during their two relegation game victories.

With that said he was still leading their team in goals and tied with Armia for most points during round robin play, so his performance was as solid as you could hope for considering the monumental failure that was team Finland this year.

He is one of those players that I don't know how to evaluate. I have seen him play close to 10-12 times now, and I can't wrap my head around him as a prospect.

Pro's
Great shot (specifically his slapshot/onetimer)
Above average playmaking skills
High level hockey smarts offensively

Con's
Adequate skater that lacks separation speed
Lacks strength, specifically in one on one battles.
His compete level on the defensive end of the rink is not where it needs to be.

If and when he makes his way over to North America is when I believe we will all get a good understanding of where he stands as an NHL prospect. I think he has the smarts and the offensive ability to be a productive player over here, but I am not sure he has the will or the work ethic to overcome his deficiencies in order to reach his full potential.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
As nice as his offensive production is in this tournament has been, you simply can't over look the fact that 7 of his 12 points came during their two relegation game victories.

With that said he was still leading their team in goals and tied with Armia for most points during round robin play, so his performance was as solid as you could hope for considering the monumental failure that was team Finland this year.

He is one of those players that I don't know how to evaluate. I have seen him play close to 10-12 times now, and I can't wrap my head around him as a prospect.

Pro's
Great shot (specifically his slapshot/onetimer)
Above average playmaking skills
High level hockey smarts offensively

Con's
Adequate skater that lacks separation speed
Lacks strength, specifically in one on one battles.

If and when he makes his way over to North America is when I believe we will all get a good understanding of where he stands as an NHL prospect. I think he has the smarts and the offensive ability to be a productive player over here, but I am not sure he has the will or the work ethic to overcome his deficiencies in order to reach his full potential.
Just to touch on those 2 points, as you mentioned Finland as a team was playing poorly in the first 3 games of the tournament and Granlund along with TT was one of their top players, so that's somewhat encouraging to me. Finland was a disappointment this year, but they do have some really special talents on that team and Granlund was probably their 3rd best forward overall.

To your last point, I'm really hoping seeing his brother have success over here provides him with further motivation to succeed and hopefully come to NA. Granlund isn't going to make or break our prospect pool, but he could be a nice addition and hopefully productive player for the Flames one day.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Noori

Brett Kulak is quietly having a strong season, 3 points tonight (1 goal, 2 assists).

He now has 25 points in 41 games. He had 24 points in 72 games last year. Too bad he seems to be stuck on a terrible team.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Flames1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Just from this little line I know that you really haven't watched Granlund that often. Granlund is fairly good in the defensive zone is is pretty tenacious with his stick. I would say that his positioning may sometime not be the best but he is by far no sloucher when it comes to his compete level. There is a very good reason why Granlund plays the PK, Ask people who follow the team. They will not be shy to tell you polity of course that your assessment may need some slight rethinking. I am not a person who usually likes disagreeing, but i could not agree with that statement.

Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:25 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Just from this little line I know that you really haven't watched Granlund that often. Granlund is fairly good in the defensive zone is is pretty tenacious with his stick. I would say that his positioning may sometime not be the best but he is by far no sloucher when it comes to his compete level. There is a very good reason why Granlund plays the PK, Ask people who follow the team. They will not be shy to tell you polity of course that your assessment may need some slight rethinking. I am not a person who usually likes disagreeing, but i could not agree with that statement.
I seriously dislike when people make this silly statement. I mentioned that I have seen him play close to 10-12 times now (all of which have come during the previous two WJC's). Do you just assume I am lying because you don't agree with me?

From what I have seen, Granlund looks disinterested at times when he does not have the puck. In saying that, this is also a very common trait for younger players and is an aspect of the game that can be easily improved upon if that specific player is willing to put in the required effort. I also never said that he was an awful defensive player, but it certainly appears to me that he can be far more effective if he put in a greater effort. He does after all player the most important forward position (at times), and should take that responsibility seriously.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote