HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Attending my first Sharks home game!

Old
10-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Jovofan

vCash: 500
Attending my first Sharks home game!

Hi guys, just had a couple of quick questions. After years of saying I wanted to do it, I'm finally going to my first Sharks home game. My wife and I got tickets to the Dec. 6th game against Minnesota. We're staying in San Francisco to see a Metallica concert and I thought since we're so close that it would be cool to head down to SJ to catch a game. We're traveling by CalTrain and I was looking on their website that the last train back to San Francisco leaves at 10:30pm. Do they offer late trains on game nights or is that 100% the last train back? I'm a bit nervous because if the game happens to go into OT or a shootout that we might need to duck out early to make sure we don't miss the train and end up being stuck in SJ overnight without a hotel. Also, our seats are in section 205, is that closest to the net the Sharks shoot twice? How early do doors open on game nights? Also, is there a store in the arena and what's the price of name and number jerseys there? I'm thinking of picking up a Marleau black. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:20 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

CalTrain leaves at 10:30 or 15 minutes after end of game, whichever is later.

And it is the last train north.

Five minute walk across the parking lots to train depot.

If you don't dawdle, no problem. (There are closet restrooms on the train)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:40 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014/5

Remember to lean forward in your seat during the game.

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:59 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
But no later than 10:45.

Quote:
Post-game Service
The last weekday and weekend train departs San Jose Diridon station at 10:30 p.m. or 15 minutes after the game ends but no later than 10:45 p.m. The train makes all regular local stops. Trains will stop at the Broadway and Atherton stations on weekends only.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffSydes View Post
Remember to lean forward in your seat during the game.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:46 PM
CJL182

Section 205 is on the side of the rink where the Sharks shoot twice. The doors open 75 minutes before puck drop, so unless the they change the starting time the doors will open at 6:15. You'll see the Sharks Store as you approach the south entrance of the Tank from the train station. If you get there early enough (I think before 5pm) you can actually still go in the store and avoid the rush later on.

CJL182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Maxo187
Stay Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Hi guys, just had a couple of quick questions. After years of saying I wanted to do it, I'm finally going to my first Sharks home game. My wife and I got tickets to the Dec. 6th game against Minnesota. We're staying in San Francisco to see a Metallica concert and I thought since we're so close that it would be cool to head down to SJ to catch a game. We're traveling by CalTrain and I was looking on their website that the last train back to San Francisco leaves at 10:30pm. Do they offer late trains on game nights or is that 100% the last train back? I'm a bit nervous because if the game happens to go into OT or a shootout that we might need to duck out early to make sure we don't miss the train and end up being stuck in SJ overnight without a hotel. Also, our seats are in section 205, is that closest to the net the Sharks shoot twice? How early do doors open on game nights? Also, is there a store in the arena and what's the price of name and number jerseys there? I'm thinking of picking up a Marleau black. Thanks in advance for all your help.

I was in San Fran this summer (from canada too ) and from what I recall the cal train station is across the street from the HP Pavilion, so you should have no issues getting back if you go straight out of the arena after the game.

Maxo187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:31 PM
EastBayShark

go down the steps by section 201... walk across the street and across the parking lot on the right... you will see it from that parking lot

EastBayShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:55 AM
fRESH88

seen ur avatar....not sure if srs?

fRESH88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:04 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

There's a Metallica concert coming up?

Also yes there is a store in the arena with prices that are basically identical to whatever you'd see on NHL.com

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:30 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Hope you enjoy the Bay Area. Lot's of very good food places in San Francisco, avoid the chains!

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Squeeven

You're soo lucky man I'm jealous. If you had said it was an AC/DC concert, I'd have gone nuts, ha ha. I've always wanted to see a Sharks home game though man, but the flight to SJ from Toronto, hotel, food and all that, and of course the price of the tickets, it might not ever happen for me. Also the fact that everyone I know except for one of my cousins, don't like the Sharks or just don't understand why I like them. My one cousin that does like them, isn't a big enough fan, so I don't think he'll wanna spend that kinda cash for a WHILE.

The only Sharks game I've been to was the one against Buffalo last season when they lost 6-3. And it was fun except for the fact that, right after pre game warm ups, I didn't know that Niitty wasn't starting that night so I was on the rail by the tunnel behind the Sharks bench and when he was walking by me, I was shouting at him "Come on, Niitty, come on Niittymaki, lets get a shutout! Lets get a shutout tonight!" he was like "shut up" but he didn't yell it. I was like to myself "wtf! lol! Did a Shark just tell me to shut up? This sucks, I'm a huge fan, wtf have I done, a player on my favorite team hates me now! lol" I was wearing a home Marleau jersey, but he was probably just seeing my annoying head shouting lol. Oh well, doesn't bother me much, but I still regret it though.

This February though, I'm trying to get tickets to the Leafs-Sharks game, my two favorite teams! Probably gonna cost me over $100 but to see my two fav. teams I'll pay it and cheer on the Sharks with my Marleau jersey. Anyone think I should go behind the Sharks bench during warm ups and ask the trainer if I could quickly apologize to Niitty? It would kinda be hanging over my head the whole time he's on the ice during warm ups. Should I?

By the way, have fun Jovofan!

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:32 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
The only Sharks game I've been to was the one against Buffalo last season when they lost 6-3. And it was fun except for the fact that, right after pre game warm ups, I didn't know that Niitty wasn't starting that night so I was on the rail by the tunnel behind the Sharks bench and when he was walking by me, I was shouting at him "Come on, Niitty, come on Niittymaki, lets get a shutout! Lets get a shutout tonight!"
1) I blame you for the loss.

2) No goalie ever wants to hear that word.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksage View Post
1) I blame you for the loss.

2) No goalie ever wants to hear that word.
lol, niemi was in goal that night and I didn't know niitty wasn't, thats why he said that.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:50 PM
SHARPENCAP

Send a message via AIM to SHARPENCAP Send a message via MSN to SHARPENCAP Send a message via Yahoo to SHARPENCAP
I hope this answer is the one you were looking for: first off i hope you have a great time! but to answer your question, if you have comcast i suggest you record the game if you have a dvr that way if you do have to leave during the shoot out or before, all the footage would be recorded and you'll watch what you have missed secondly, cal train does not offer any other trains through my knowledge after the last one so you may have to choose whether to stay at a local hotel such as motel 6, the arena,... whatever floats your boat.. but i suggest to do record the game than judge your instinct and go what you want to do have a fun night I remember my first game a very kind usher gave me the game puck how cool was that? jersey price may be about no more than 200 unless you want the authentic which will be a lot more check the store sometimes they have replicas but sewn on numbering!

Last edited by SHARPENCAP: 10-26-2011 at 08:56 PM.
SHARPENCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Bleeding Teal
Sharks FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

And it is the last train north.

Five minute walk across the parking lots to train depot.

If you don't dawdle, no problem. (There are closet restrooms on the train)
This

You can head down the main entrance near 201 if you like, but it's usually pretty crowded. I recommend going out the doors near section 208 and turning right to get to the CalTrain station. It's a little quicker and usually not as crowded.

Also, the Sharks store closes their outside doors 2 1/2 hours before the puck drops. So 5pm for a 730pm game. Prices are usually in line with what you see on NHL.com. If you want a name and number done that isn't on the rack it's several weeks to have it sent out and done as they don't actually do the work on site. So be prepared with 2, possibly 3, jerseys. Or even getting a blank and sending it out to be customized once you return home.

If you show up early enough you should be able to go down to the glass and watch the shoot around before the game. The Sharks take their pregame warm up in the other end of the ice, so if you choose to go down you will need to walk over to section 227 or 228 and go down to the glass. There are usually quite a few people there, but it's a great experience and considering you may not get down here again I strongly recommend it. Also the Sharks head hang's over that section so you can get a good view of it from there.

Most importantly, have fun. Yell as loud as you can. Cheer as often as you can. Take photos of everything. Talk to random people. Make lasting memories.

Bleeding Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 05:08 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Remember to shout "We want Pizza"

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 05:42 PM
SJSharks2010

"Canada's Team"

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Limekiller

If you DO go down early to hit the Sharks store before 5, I might suggest a brief walk from there to my favorite steak place around, and a long-time SJ institution, Henry's Hi-Life. (I mean seriously long-time, they opened in 1961, I believe it was) Amazing steak & BBQ, absolutely worth the visit, even if it gets a bit crowded.

Enjoy the game!

Limekiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:11 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiller View Post
If you DO go down early to hit the Sharks store before 5, I might suggest a brief walk from there to my favorite steak place around, and a long-time SJ institution, Henry's Hi-Life. (I mean seriously long-time, they opened in 1961, I believe it was) Amazing steak & BBQ, absolutely worth the visit, even if it gets a bit crowded.

Enjoy the game!
How consistent is their food? I went with a group of 6 people none of us were that impressed but everyone raves bout it.

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Jovofan

I realize that I'm posting in a seriously old thread but I'm rarely on HFBoards anymore and forgot that I didn't come back here to update my experience in the Bay Area after we came back. I just wanted to say that Sharks fans are by some of the nicest people on the planet! My wife and I had a great time and fell in love with San Francsico (went to Alcatraz, took a bus tour of the city and got to snap pics of the Golden Gate Bridge, walk around Fisherman's Wharf etc.) and had a blast at the game despite the loss. Loved the concourse at HP Pavilion too, so much wider than Rogers Arena, so easy to move around the building. Amazing sightlines too, the highlight by far was finally seeing the team skate through the shark head in person for the first time! Aside from our sketchy experience in Union Square during our first night in SF the trip was awesome. Thanks again to everybody for their help in planning the game and I can't wait to go down again sometime (hopefully with a different result on the scoreboard). Enjoy the season everybody!

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote