Old
01-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Goli-Fistric (brave, I know)
Daley-Robidas
Dillon-Larsen

I think Arnott is coming in to help with resting players. This schedule is going to be pretty tough, getting 50 games in now. So having an extra big body who is also a big veteran presence makes a lot of sense.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'm going to stop posting in the off-season thread since it's almost to a 1000. Must of the stuff we're talking about is interchangeable anyway at this point.

Jim Lites just said on Fox 4 he expects Dallas to host an open practice next Thursday (1/17). It will be an opportunity to sell season tickets and single game tickets so fans can pick their seat.

He also said 4 guys from Austin could play right now. Unless there's an injury on D, he most be talking about potentially 3 forwards starting with Dallas.
Fraser
Vincour (injured)
Dillon
Oleksiak

Eakin is an NHLer.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:58 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Fraser
Vincour (injured)
Dillon
Oleksiak

Eakin is an NHLer.
Vincour returned from injury, and I don't think he was talking about AHL vs. NHL in the philosophical sense. He literally stated guys playing down in Texas during the lockout.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Vincour returned from injury, and I don't think he was talking about AHL vs. NHL in the philosophical sense. He literally stated guys playing down in Texas during the lockout.
Oh gotcha!

edit -

He's already recovered from the concussion?

Old
01-08-2013, 10:20 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Oh gotcha!

edit -

He's already recovered from the concussion?
You'd hope he was recovered. I know they talk about stricter recovery rules on concussions, but there's really no way to know for sure unless the player speaks up.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I still stand by my opinion that the Arnott situation is simply nothing but a guy who lives in the area skating with some buds to stay in shape.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:18 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I still stand by my opinion that the Arnott situation is simply nothing but a guy who lives in the area skating with some buds to stay in shape.
Probably, but it allows Dallas the opportunity to look at him/mull a training camp invite.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
BigG44

Anyone stunned that Reilly Smith wasn't mentioned? I'm leading towards this is just an oversight from GMJN answering a question off the cuff.

Cody Eakin again is mentioned as a lock for the roster.

Again ... looking for a 3rd and 4th line forward. Notable mentions we haven't previously seen: Alex Chiasson, Colton Sceviour (My heart be still ... )

Quote:
The Stars GM said the forwards from the AHL in the hunt for spots are likely to fill roles on the team’s third and fourth lines.

“That’s why Sceviour is in the conversation. He’s a reliable, steady player. He never gives you a night off,” Nieuwendyk said.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
BigG44

This is the same video I mentioned in the Benn thread

GMJN mentions Morrow's transition out of the Top 6 doesn't include a reduction in PP time. He said they still view him as a net presence on the PP, but they aren't looking for him to be a 35 goal scorer. Pretty much want him to play physical and do the little things from the 3rd line.

Also said the additions help slide Nystrom and Fiddler into their appropriate spots ... obviously that thankfully means the 4th line.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:24 PM
k1279

Not surprised on R. Smith. He wouldn't fit into 3rd or 4th line role. Sceviour, Chiasson could easily fit there.

k1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1279 View Post
Not surprised on R. Smith. He wouldn't fit into 3rd or 4th line role. Sceviour, Chiasson could easily fit there.
Reilly Smith is actually a pretty excellent fit IMO. He's already developed great chemistry with Cody Eakin. More importantly, those guys have to play smart defensive hockey, and that's been a part of Reilly's game in Miami and Texas.

FYI, I don't know why Mark left it out of article, but GMJN did mentioned Reilly. It's in the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe
Reilly Smith for example, really had to find his way the first 14 games in the American Hockey League. He didn't have a goal, and now is playing at a PPG in the AHL. Chiasson is becoming a more prominent player. Oleksiak is getting better and better.
He was asked two similar questions, and Mark quoted the answer to the 2nd one.

Regarding Chiasson, I agree he does feel a very similar role as Smith. I think they're both future Top 6 players in the NHL. Smith is probably going to net more goals, but Chiasson is probably a better playmaker though. As far as a complete, two-way game, they were both extremely impressive in that regard in college, and I'd expect that's a key element of their game in the NHL.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:55 PM
k1279

Quote:
Reilly Smith is actually a pretty excellent fit IMO. He's already developed great chemistry with Cody Eakin. More importantly, those guys have to play smart defensive hockey, and that's been a part of Reilly's game in Miami and Texas.

FYI, I don't know why Mark left it out of article, but GMJN did mentioned Reilly. It's in the video.

He was asked two similar questions, and Mark quoted the answer to the 2nd one.

Regarding Chiasson, I agree he does feel a very similar role as Smith. I think they're both future Top 6 players in the NHL. Smith is probably going to net more goals, but Chiasson is probably a better playmaker though. As far as a complete, two-way game, they were both extremely impressive in that regard in college, and I'd expect that's a key element of their game in the NHL.
I just watched the interview. Those two questions weren't even close to being similar, the one was very specific about players to watch. Plus, there was zero mention of Sceviour which tells me the video doesn't include the entire interview.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
BigG44

He didn't answer the question asked by Heika. He asked him how important winning was, and he talked about how the young guys were performing. The two answers were both similar in that they were about how the young guys are performing and project into a potential NHL lineup.

Smith has already previously been mentioned as a guy in the mix. You really think the guy tied for the team lead in goals isn't an option the team is considering?

Old
01-08-2013, 07:20 PM
k1279

Quote:
He didn't answer the question asked by Heika. He asked him how important winning was, and he talked about how the young guys were performing. The two answers were both similar in that they were about how the young guys are performing and project into a potential NHL lineup.

Smith has already previously been mentioned as a guy in the mix. You really think the guy tied for the team lead in goals isn't an option the team is considering?
Uh, Matt Fraser leads the team in goals. Who has mentioned Smith? Gulutzan didn't mention him when asked specificially. Neither did Nieuwendyk when asked specifically. Maybe he'll come in and knock their socks off and make the team, but it appears they are looking for a specific type of player (size, grit, something else) and Smith doesn't fit the bill. A skilled, scorer might not be the hole they're looking to fill. If there was something in the top 6, it might be different.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:23 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I'm honestly OK with that. I hope Smith gets a look during training camp to hang with the NHL guys, but I think he'd be best served playing a full year in the AHL.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Uh, Matt Fraser leads the team in goals. Who has mentioned Smith? Gulutzan didn't mention him when asked specificially. Neither did Nieuwendyk when asked specifically. Maybe he'll come in and knock their socks off and make the team, but it appears they are looking for a specific type of player (size, grit, something else) and Smith doesn't fit the bill. A skilled, scorer might not be the hole they're looking to fill. If there was something in the top 6, it might be different.
Quote:
Hmmm ... how many goals does Fraser have? 11.

Well what do you know, how many goes does Smith have? 11!!!

Yep that fits ....

Quote:
You really think the guy tied for the team lead in goals isn't an option the team is considering?
No reason to argue philosophical disagreement over whether Smith can play in a Bottom 6 role, but will point out he already did that on Dallas' squad last year. He's also a full time member of the Texas PK so he's trusted in every role. He's far from a purely offensive, Top 6 only winger.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I'm honestly OK with that. I hope Smith gets a look during training camp to hang with the NHL guys, but I think he'd be best served playing a full year in the AHL.
Yes. I'd like to see Vincour slot in with Eakin and Sceviour slot in with Fiddler.

Really like Smith, but he's probably better served in the AHL.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:41 PM
k1279

Quote:
Hmmm ... how many goals does Fraser have? 11.

Well what do you know, how many goes does Smith have? 11!!!

Yep that fits ....

No reason to argue philosophical disagreement over whether Smith can play in a Bottom 6 role, but will point out he already did that on Dallas' squad last year. He's also a full time member of the Texas PK so he's trusted in every role. He's far from a purely offensive, Top 6 only winger.
You might want to double check the stats. Goals are in the "G" column. Eakin and Smith have 11. Fraser has 14.

Texas Stars stats link: http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....id=-1&confId=0

Old
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
BigG44

One of the newer CBA rules that I hadn't considered for the Dallas Stars is the new way they count cap in the NHL.

Only cap hits on one-way contracts that are $375K more than the league minimum count on the cup, and only the remaining cap hit over that amount is applied to the cap.

League minimum is $525K, so the number this year is $900K.

Easy example is Wade Redden. His cap is $6.5 million. In the minors this season, he counts $5.6 million against Rangers cap.

Tom Wandell's cap hit is $892,500. He's very likely outside of the Top 12 at this point. He'd required waivers, but I'd rather they risk him than Sceviour.

Furthermore, it's unconfirmed, and I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but there were rumors re-entry waivers were going away. I think you could fairly easily sneak him through regular waivers, and he could be recalled if he gets his game together.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:44 PM
BigG44

Quote:
You might want to double check the stats. Eakin and Smith have 11. Fraser has 14.

Texas Stars stats link: http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....id=-1&confId=0
Then being a smart*** hasn't gotten me and I apologize.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:47 PM
BigG44

Regarding re-entry ... this HF thread says it's been confirmed Re-entry has been eliminated, but they didn't seem to provide a link.

It's from a mod though so I'll go out on a limb to say it is confirmed, and I'm sure a simple Google search will provide a nice source if someone wants further confirmation.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
I wouldn't get too hung up on the quotes. Joe has already demonstrated through his actions what he thinks of R. Smith. The only thing that has changed since then is R. Smith playing excellent hockey in the AHL. He's a contender to make the team, including the bottom 6.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I wouldn't get too hung up on the quotes. Joe has already demonstrated through his actions what he thinks of R. Smith. The only thing that has changed since then is R. Smith playing excellent hockey in the AHL. He's a contender to make the team, including the bottom 6.
That was what I was trying to get to, and I failed miserably while showing my ***.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:59 PM
BigG44

Hey piqued ... BTW ... it's seem so long ago ... but am I remember correctly that you were a big Wandell fan?

Do you think given his current contract and recent play there's a realistic shot he'd clear regular waivers?

Old
01-08-2013, 08:02 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
I am a Wandell fan. I'm not sure what you mean about his recent play. We haven't gotten many (if any) reports out of the KHL on his progress.

I think he'd be less likely to clear waivers than a guy like Sceviour.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote