HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

2012-2013 Phoenix Coyotes Roster

Old
01-07-2013, 10:37 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
Check out the Mike Smith thread on the main board, it's good for a few yucks.
Oh joy, what are they saying now?

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Why? They're great 4th liners. That's what Johnson was brought in for. Every team needs a true grind line, and I think this years will be Tippett's best.
I'm going to have to agree with the good doctor, here. Wholeheartedly. Yes, we need a true grind line, however, it should not be Chipchura-Gordon-Johnson, but rather Torres-Gordon-Moss. The problem is that you've got your healthy scratches/AHL call-ups as NHL regulars and you've got your fourth line grinders on your third line. Not only do we need to add a couple of guys superior to Chipchura and Johnson but also superior to Torres and Moss.

01-08-2013, 01:23 AM
Vip
Das it mane

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
DM was just on 1060 and said he talked to 8 teams today regarding each others needs, bring back the trade talk.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:05 AM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Yes, we need a true grind line, however, it should not be Chipchura-Gordon-Johnson, but rather Torres-Gordon-Moss. The problem is that you've got your healthy scratches/AHL call-ups as NHL regulars and you've got your fourth line grinders on your third line. Not only do we need to add a couple of guys superior to Chipchura and Johnson but also superior to Torres and Moss.
Whew, eloquence was failing me last night; this was the point I was trying, and failing to make.

Thanks rt.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Ted Mosby

Keep an eye on Luongo. If he goes to Toronto, then they'll be right up against the cap. That makes a guy like Matt Lombardi ($3.5M) available for peanuts.

BTW - What's the status of Torres? Can he play or is he still suspended? IIRC, Bertuzzi was right back playing after the last lockout.

Ted Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:50 AM
korpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Keep an eye on Luongo. If he goes to Toronto, then they'll be right up against the cap. That makes a guy like Matt Lombardi ($3.5M) available for peanuts.

BTW - What's the status of Torres? Can he play or is he still suspended? IIRC, Bertuzzi was right back playing after the last lockout.

Pretty sure he will still be suspended

korpedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:59 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
not necessarily, contracts will be going the other way. Perhaps the Coyotes can get involved in a 3-way. Also the animosity between the 2 GM's may mean that Luongo will end up somewhere else.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:01 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpedo View Post
Pretty sure he will still be suspended
...and that may open up a lawsuit since it's the owners that said that no one can play those games during the lockout and since he was suspended during those games he should be allowed back. IMO, and most on this forum, would agree that the suspension was too extreme anyways. He should be allowed back. The NHLPA should have an issue otherwise.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
Long lay offs are tough for older players which makes me think Sullivan is going to struggle with the short season. But we look pretty sound so I don't think it will matter much. Having too much star power is often just as detrimental as not having enough but I like our balance. I think we will be fine.
I'm optimistic Sullivan will make a solid contribution. But I'm worried for the same reasons about Morris who has taken half a season to get up to speed before..

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Interview with Tippett on Home Ice

Talked about a few different things but in regards to training camp/roster talk:

Will have eight dmen up for camp, not sure if they will carry that into the season.

Mentioned Rundblad, Stone and Miele, in addition to the goalies as guys that have played well in Portland.

Have roster spots to fill out, including Torres' who is still suspended

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:34 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
I'm optimistic Sullivan will make a solid contribution. But I'm worried for the same reasons about Morris who has taken half a season to get up to speed before..
Personal problems?? Rather give him a benefit of the doubt, and bring up Stone slowly & paired with Yandle. IMO, Sullivan will be an adequate (not ideal) replacement for Whitney. I'm not convinced yet that they will sweep the Stanley Cup Finals yet! But in Maloney I trust!!!

Old
01-08-2013, 04:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yeah, Morris obviously had some personal issues at the start of last season. He even had to miss something like seven or eight games due to his personal issues. I have no idea what they are, and it's certainly none of my business, but it was pretty obvious that once he dealt with his affairs he was a completely different player upon his return to the ice.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
moosemeister

Quote:
Yeah, Morris obviously had some personal issues at the start of last season. He even had to miss something like seven or eight games due to his personal issues. I have no idea what they are, and it's certainly none of my business, but it was pretty obvious that once he dealt with his affairs he was a completely different player upon his return to the ice.
I swore it was an illness in the family. I'm probably wrong. But when he came back, he was motivated and played like the Morris we are all familiar with.

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeister View Post
I swore it was an illness in the family. I'm probably wrong. But when he came back, he was motivated and played like the Morris we are all familiar with.
I'm not sure where I remember hearing this but I could have sworn that I remember hearing that one of his family members was suffering from serious depression. I could be wrong though

Old
01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

http://howlinhockey.com/2012/03/25/d...nhl-game-1000/

As the great interview with Todd Walsh revealed, he had a family member who was struck with depression. His wife went to help care for them, resulting in Derek needing to stay with his children.

Here we go, just found the article where I read it.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post
Oh joy, what are they saying now?
It's the hypocracy of the Coyotes Haters. They are saying we need to get over what happened in 2012 Western Conference Final(though almost all of us have) but they won't get over the Coyotes players reactions overall in that series.

Haters gonna hate!

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Vip
Das it mane

vCash: 50
SO much hate for Smith on the main boards.. I REALLY hope that we can prove everyone wrong again and go far in the playoffs. Trolling the league is what we are good at.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post
http://howlinhockey.com/2012/03/25/d...nhl-game-1000/

As the great interview with Todd Walsh revealed, he had a family member who was struck with depression. His wife went to help care for them, resulting in Derek needing to stay with his children.

Here we go, just found the article where I read it.
Okay, so long as that family member is out of the woods and he isn't dealing with the same thing over again this season, it's reasonable to assume he'll play more like the second half Morris than he did like the first half Morris. Which is a pretty darn effective player.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
It's the hypocracy of the Coyotes Haters. They are saying we need to get over what happened in 2012 Western Conference Final(though almost all of us have) but they won't get over the Coyotes players reactions overall in that series.

Haters gonna hate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
SO much hate for Smith on the main boards.. I REALLY hope that we can prove everyone wrong again and go far in the playoffs. Trolling the league is what we are good at.
For every good, insightful post on the main boards there's like 5 or 6 eye rollers. Pretty much why I almost exclusively post here. Everyone here is well educated and has intelligent opinions.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
For every good, insightful post on the main boards there's like 5 or 6 eye rollers. Pretty much why I almost exclusively post here. Everyone here is well educated and has intelligent opinions.
Let's be honest here. Every team board is going to have members who think that everyone who posts in that board is the most intellegent and the IQ drops outside of their respective board.

The truth is you are going to have all kinds of posters no matter where you go.

But lets get back on topic here.

I can't say much just yet about the roster moves since we don't know if we are going to have a new owner yet or not. It looks like everything is set outside of open D-man spot and no I don't think Gomley is going to or should get the main job on the team just yet.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Well...almost everyone.

My apologies again, gents. Haha.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:30 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Okay, so long as that family member is out of the woods and he isn't dealing with the same thing over again this season, it's reasonable to assume he'll play more like the second half Morris than he did like the first half Morris. Which is a pretty darn effective player.
Maybe, maybe not. Could have just been on a decent streak. Even before his family issues/injury stuff he was pretty bad in 10/11.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:33 PM
mitch27

I'm pretty optimistic this year. I feel like we have a great group of forwards who will be able to out work the other team night after night. Scoring will have to come from everywhere, but that's nothing new. I've already voiced my thoughts on our D being one of the best in the league, and I see no reason why Smith won't be able to be a top 10 goalie once again. All this combined with one of the best coaches in the league and things are looking pretty good.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I'm pretty optimistic this year. I feel like we have a great group of forwards who will be able to out work the other team night after night. Scoring will have to come from everywhere, but that's nothing new. I've already voiced my thoughts on our D being one of the best in the league, and I see no reason why Smith won't be able to be a top 10 goalie once again. All this combined with one of the best coaches in the league and things are looking pretty good.
I think we've got what it takes to maybe sneak in. I don't expect another hot streak like we had late last year to save our buts and skyrocket us to the division crown, while all the teams we needed to lose went cold. That ain't gonna happen again. Still, we can sneak in, for sure. Especially if we add a forward or two without hurting our D corps too badly.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
I think we've got what it takes to maybe sneak in. I don't expect another hot streak like we had late last year to save our buts and skyrocket us to the division crown, while all the teams we needed to lose went cold. That ain't gonna happen again. Still, we can sneak in, for sure. Especially if we add a forward or two without hurting our D corps too badly.
Considering we have a short season, we maybe able to take the division again without the need of a hot streak late in the season. An great start early on maybe enough to get us that crown or even more.