Notices

Khudobin considering switching to KHL when his contract is up

Old
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Aucoin11*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Yikes. AFAIK Rask is the first and only goalie the Bruins have developped since Frank Brimsek
Well apparently I didn't say this in my post, but I meant to say within the last 7 or 8 or so years.

The bruins did develop raycroft though if that counts for anything. And if you want to qualify, Thomas too. I'd say he counts. They mostly brought toivonen up the right way(ie AHL for a few years then NHL), but he was mishandled during that brief dark period with dave lewis. So I guess you could say they mishandled him, but a certain amount of blame should probably fall on the lack of ability by hannu himself.

I'm pointing more so to the process itself. The bruins don't rush goalies and have done it correctly for the most part.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
misterjaggers

Too soon to write him off. His tune could easily change in the Spring.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
what does that have to do with anything?
Not hard to figure out. Khudobin may not have been drafted by the B's, but it's the same scenario they probably fear. If he doesn't get his foot in the door when he perceives he should (i.e. big NHL contract, or starting job), he can just bolt to Russia.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Trap Jesus

No more Russians, please.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:21 PM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Not hard to figure out. Khudobin may not have been drafted by the B's, but it's the same scenario they probably fear. If he doesn't get his foot in the door when he perceives he should (i.e. big NHL contract, or starting job), he can just bolt to Russia.
It is nowhere near a Radulov type case. Khudobin will be an UFA and if he get a better offer from the KHL that will give him a better opportunity then why shouldn't he jump on it?

So I should never keep my eyes open for better opportunities for risk of being negatively labeled in my career?

Just because he is Russian doesn't mean that he should pass up big money while he is an UFA. Only a total ****ing moron would.

The Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:22 PM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
No more Russians, please.
dear lord....some people

Old
01-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
It is nowhere near a Radulov type case. Khudobin will be an UFA and if he get a better offer from the KHL that will give him a better opportunity then why shouldn't he jump on it?

So I should never keep my eyes open for better opportunities for risk of being negatively labeled in my career?

Just because he is Russian doesn't mean that he should pass up big money while he is an UFA. Only a total ****ing moron would.
You aren't following me, you're actually making my point. That's fine if you're Khudobin, or a KHL fan. If you're in the B's front office, it's a wasted asset. Why should the B's develop, draft, or acquire a young player, if he's just going to bolt when he should be paying his dues like any other AHL player trying to make the show?

Think Subban runs off to the KHL? Or Gibson? Is Koko going to stick it out on the wannaB's? Or tire of backchecking in the AHL and take a contract in the KHL?

What's so hard to understand a/b this from a Bruin's perspective?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
patty59

Quote:
You aren't following me, you're actually making my point. That's fine if you're Khudobin, or a KHL fan. If you're in the B's front office, it's a wasted asset. Why should the B's develop, draft, or acquire a young player, if he's just going to bolt when he should be paying his dues like any other AHL player trying to make the show?

Think Subban runs off to the KHL? Or Gibson? Is Koko going to stick it out on the wannaB's? Or tire of backchecking in the AHL and take a contract in the KHL?

I agree 100%

But I'm a 'hater'

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:21 PM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

Quote:

I follow it now after you explained it further. All salient points.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Wild prediction: khudobin performs stellar as backup, offered 4.5 millions a year for 3 years and rask walks for big bucks elsewhere, casualty of reduced cap

Also, people, he's not Russian. He's Khazakh

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:01 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

I wouldn't want to be the backup on a team with a bunch of dicks who call me Borat either. Svedberg looks good and we get a few months of Khudobin its not a big deal. If he is amazing whats the option trade Rask?

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

I agree mostly as well. Russian prospects carry a much higher flight risk than most others. One should definitely take that into consideration before acquiring their rights. Is the talent worth the potential of them leaving when they could be earning their spot on a more competitive roster?

What I don't like about this statement, is the "back-checking" comment. It doesn't matter what nationality you call your own, laziness is not inherent in it. Koko is one of those players who seems to have the drive to be an NHL regular, as do many, many other Russians.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:03 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Oh great I love the "lazy russian arguments" nice to hear someone say they think Koko doesn't want to backcheck maybe while your at it you can share your similar thoughts on black quarterbacks, we all want to read that kind of filth .

Fact is its nice that Camara AND Koko had some nice moments at the WJC. I don't see how people need to bring nationality into it when evaluating the two of them.

Furthermore I think we might get a better player in Koko from him playing in Europe than in Providence. The kid spent time in Canada and is used to North America he'll be at our camp every year and if he plays better than his competitors for roster spots he is in Boston. If not he's in Russia playing in the second best league in the world. Its awesome. I want to draft more guys like that.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
I agree mostly as well. Russian prospects carry a much higher flight risk than most others. One should definitely take that into consideration before acquiring their rights. Is the talent worth the potential of them leaving when they could be earning their spot on a more competitive roster?

What I don't like about this statement, is the "back-checking" comment. It doesn't matter what nationality you call your own, laziness is not inherent in it. Koko is one of those players who seems to have the drive to be an NHL regular, as do many, many other Russians.
I'm going to preface this w/ the following: Watching Datsyuk is worth the price of centerice to me. I'd go as far as saying I'd rather have Datsyuk than AO, and a lot of other highly coveted players, North American or otherwise. I didn't say "inherently lazy", I specifically said backcheck. It's a reference to the difference in philosophy between the two schools. A great example of that was obvious in the 2010 Olympics. Canada's quick transition routinely caught Russian forwards out of position to the point it was no contest. Russian forwards were often in no position to provide back pressure at all. Other examples are; AO and Kovalchuck, arguably two of the most skilled hockey players in the world, both took a good amount of time to adjust to a more defensive mindset, or system, before either were effective.

Surely the gap between the two philosophies is closing. But if you want to argue that right now there's little to no difference between the North American game, specifically a system like CJ's, and the game played in the KHL. Well, I just disagree.

Point of interest, there are full KHL playoff games on youtube.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:43 AM
DaStinger
My Precious!

Send a message via MSN to DaStinger
I think we've all been envisioning Rask as the goto guy once TT is done for some years now and that doesnt change. Just about any competent backup should be fine (Id even prefer a vet).

No need to push MS in anyway.

DaStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Oh great I love the "lazy russian arguments" nice to hear someone say they think Koko doesn't want to backcheck maybe while your at it you can share your similar thoughts on black quarterbacks, we all want to read that kind of filth .

Fact is its nice that Camara AND Koko had some nice moments at the WJC. I don't see how people need to bring nationality into it when evaluating the two of them.

Furthermore I think we might get a better player in Koko from him playing in Europe than in Providence. The kid spent time in Canada and is used to North America he'll be at our camp every year and if he plays better than his competitors for roster spots he is in Boston. If not he's in Russia playing in the second best league in the world. Its awesome. I want to draft more guys like that.
He actually came back to the OHL to play. Wonder why? You know, since the KHL is the 2nd best league in the world.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Khokhlachev sure looked like a much better player at the WJHC after playing in the KHL.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post

Uh...yeah. You might have a point if there were some football league in "Charatried toeatme land" where after African American, or "black" QB's as you say, were scouted, drafted, and developed by one league. Only to be cherrypicked by other said league w/ a lucrative contract. After an initial investment was already made by the 1st party (i.e. draft pick/salary/roster spot).

Moreover, considering what sometimes took place on the Eastern front during WWII, I find the name "Charatriedtoeatme" highly insensitive, ignorant, and rather insulting. Expect a call from the ACLU. Furthermore, my people migrated to Europe from Africa at some point 150,000 to 200,000 years ago. Unlike Russians, or my Slavic brothers, they just took a left instead of a right. And, btw, we prefer to be called African American if you don't mind, homie.

Can we implement reading comprehension tests before being permitted to respond to posts? I'll settle for age/sex check at this point.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I agree 100%

But I'm a 'hater'
Why what ever do you mean?

So, you wanna hook up before the next clan meeting and starch our hoods, or?

Wtf....

Last edited by Neely08: 01-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 06:33 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I can't blame him. He's already lost half a season where he could have proven himself a capable backup and giving someone the idea to take a shot at him as a starter in the NHL. If I were a GM of a team with goalie problems, I would absolutely consider handing him the ball.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:23 PM
almostawake

Heh, he'll be 27 next summer and has been playing in North America since he was 19. Until this season (that the lock out has eaten half of) he's been on a 2 way contract making less than 100k per.

Kevin Dallman, for example, was 27 when he went over to the KHL and he had a lot more opportunities at the NHL level than Khudobin.

As far as assets go, do people remember what the Bruins traded for Khudobin?

Jeff Penner, who is out of hockey as far as I know.
Mikko Lehtonen, who was already in Europe at the time of the trade and who's RFA rights expired like 4 months after the trade.

Khudobin could leave tomorrow and that trade would still be a net positive for the Bruins. As far as Khudobin leaving goes, the fact is he's a 26 year old with 7 games of NHL experience and a 48 game season where he'll get, maybe 18 games to prove he's a worth a 1 way contract. Independent of where he was born, he'd be crazy to not be considering other options.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Heh, he'll be 27 next summer and has been playing in North America since he was 19. Until this season (that the lock out has eaten half of) he's been on a 2 way contract making less than 100k per.

Kevin Dallman, for example, was 27 when he went over to the KHL and he had a lot more opportunities at the NHL level than Khudobin.

As far as assets go, do people remember what the Bruins traded for Khudobin?

Jeff Penner, who is out of hockey as far as I know.
Mikko Lehtonen, who was already in Europe at the time of the trade and who's RFA rights expired like 4 months after the trade.

Khudobin could leave tomorrow and that trade would still be a net positive for the Bruins. As far as Khudobin leaving goes, the fact is he's a 26 year old with 7 games of NHL experience and a 48 game season where he'll get, maybe 18 games to prove he's a worth a 1 way contract. Independent of where he was born, he'd be crazy to not be considering other options.

Khudobin has a one way contract this year at $875,000: http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Khudobin has a one way contract this year at $875,000: http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5
Yup, acknowledged it:

Quote:
Until this season (that the lock out has eaten half of) he's been on a 2 way contract making less than 100k per.
But the reality is he's pretty unlikely to get another unless he really impresses in the small number of games he'll get into this season.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:41 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Uh...yeah. You might have a point if there were some football league in "Charatried toeatme land" where after African American, or "black" QB's as you say, were scouted, drafted, and developed by one league. Only to be cherrypicked by other said league w/ a lucrative contract. After an initial investment was already made by the 1st party (i.e. draft pick/salary/roster spot).

Moreover, considering what sometimes took place on the Eastern front during WWII, I find the name "Charatriedtoeatme" highly insensitive, ignorant, and rather insulting. Expect a call from the ACLU. Furthermore, my people migrated to Europe from Africa at some point 150,000 to 200,000 years ago. Unlike Russians, or my Slavic brothers, they just took a left instead of a right. And, btw, we prefer to be called African American if you don't mind, homie.

Can we implement reading comprehension tests before being permitted to respond to posts? I'll settle for age/sex check at this point.
You freely spit out the "Russians don't backcheck line" I don't know why that crap is tolerated around here and I just referenced another b/s stereotype in sports.

Like I said I don't know why its tolerated to refer to Russian players as soft lazy and unmotivated. If you wanted to slam Scott Gomez for being lazy and referred to his ethnicity to do so it wouldn't be allowed.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Its a hazy situation: we may potentially be losing a player that we don't even know.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote