HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Baby Punisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
A non-playoff team shouldn't be giving up draft picks. It should be collecting extra ones. Your prospect level isn't loaded as much as you'll need it to be in order to go from the last place to Cup contention. The Rangers had a better prospect pool 2-3 years ago when they were already a consistent playoff squad, having made the playoffs in 7 out of 8 years, missing it once by losing a shootout in the last game of the season.

- The Isles were in the bottom 5 of the NHL each of the last 5 seasons.

- You'd think that with so many top-5 picks, with two additional first rounders and two more additional second rounders, they would be ranked higher than #6 on HF. Maybe HF is off-base here, but I don't think so. Nor can it be said that the prospects are in the NHL. Other than Tavares and Nino, none of the other firsts or seconds in the last 5 drafts graduated.

- They have only 2 guys returning this year who had 50+ points last season, and forwards are the team's strength.

- Who else can play like a legitimate second liner on a Cup contender? Okposo and Grabner? Maybe, but maybe not. Maybe a couple prospects like Strome and Nelson. I am not seeing any overload here. Tavares is a first liner, and Strome has the potential, though he proved zero so far. They have another 3-4 potential second liners, but again, no overload. They need everyone to work out in order to fill out their top-6 or top-9.

- On defense, I like Ham, and A-Mac is ok. Reinhart is a very good prospect, and another 4 guys are solid prospects. Again, the Isles would need EVERY one of them to pan out to fill out their top-6. No overload.

- The goalie situation is downright bad. And yes, I know about Nilsson and Poulin, and no, I don't care. The two have significantly worse stats on a solid Bridgeport team than Talbot has on the horrendous Hartford team that couldn't defend if their lives depended on it. And nobody on the Rangers views Talbot as a savior in the net. Because they are younger, they are superior prospects, but they are future backups, not starters on Cup contenders.

===========================================>

The Islanders are still in a bad position going forward. Their rebuild should continue. They should've dealt away Streit for youth instead of giving up a pick for Lubo. The best, fastest route for the Islanders to Cup contention is, unfortunately for you, another bottom-5 finish along with an extra couple of draft picks in the first or second round, acquired for vets. In fact, they would probably be well-served by trading away the soon-to-be-30 Moulson while he still brings a very significant return of youth back. The Isles will need another 3-5 years to start competing, and they are better off doing it with another Ryan Strome than with Moulson and Streit.
This year will be very telling for the Isles. This a sink or swim year in the sense that in a short season thye could come out flying & surprise some people or fall flat out of the gate & be doormats of the leauge for the next 3 1/2 months. This is one of the longest rebuilding processes ever & you have to wonder if they had a veteran GM & front office if they would be further along.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Levitate

Rumors are starting up that Kovalchuk might stay in the KHL for the rest of the year. Hilarious if this becomes a thing

Old
01-08-2013, 08:43 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Rumors are starting up that Kovalchuk might stay in the KHL for the rest of the year. Hilarious if this becomes a thing
I can definitely see him trying to do something like this. The KHL has to honor all NHL contracts though so it will be interesting to see what comes of this IF TRUE.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Rangerfans

There is a snow ball chance in hell that Kovy doesn't return. He's definitely coming back.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Kovalev attending Florida's camp per TSN.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
There is a snow ball chance in hell that Kovy doesn't return. He's definitely coming back.
Quote:
Kovalchuk says, 'I will need to read the new agreement' before he decides what to do next. So there... #NJDevils
Slava Malamud (twitter) @SlavaMalamud (Retweeted by Bob McKenzie of TSN)

I agree though he has to come back, but we shall see what happens.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Ovechkin said back in December that he wouldn't come back if salaries were rolled back. I'd imagine Kovalchuk is the same. He'll be back.

Too bad. Because watching the Devils fans' reaction would have been priceless.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
turcotte8

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA Via email, Bill Daly said KHL has confirmed they honor agreement with NHL that NHL player cannot play there once lockout lifted

Old
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Is it possible that all this rumored bribery going on there just be that they want the NHL's KHL players to vote "No" to the CBA?

Let's say they actually stay there. Would they use that new cap benefit recapture formula on him?

01-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Kershaw

https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO/st...21310186622976

Dominic Moore's wife passes away after her battle with cancer. RIP.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
NYRSchrute217

It'd be funny if Kovalchuk didn't come back, but if what Larry Brooks tweeted today is true (Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk having an agreement with Putin to receive a huge sum of money if they didn't return to the NHL) then that would really ruin the integrity of the NHL because of 4 of the leagues best leaving for the only real competitor. As much as I'd like to see NJ and PIT lose their stars if it stars a trend for more Russians to go home I don't see any way that's a good thing for this league.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Then you can be sure the "Russians" stereotype will not go away for many centuries. The KHL will be put down. The Russian players who went against their contracts for money will be throw in the bin. All things Russian will be tainted especially to the Canadians after the WJC taunt

Even if they tried that is. If there's substantial evidence that they tried to go against their contracts.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:52 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Then you can be sure the "Russians" stereotype will not go away for many centuries. The KHL will be put down. The Russian players who went against their contracts for money will be throw in the bin. All things Russian will be tainted especially to the Canadians after the WJC taunt

Even if they tried that is. If there's substantial evidence that they tried to go against their contracts.
I don't see any chance Kovalchuk can get away with it. He'll be suspended by the Devils and he can essentially kiss his NHL career goodbye. The IIHF will also suspend him for the Olympics in 2014 which will be played in his native Russia which would be a disaster for him.

Visnovsky could possibly get away with it, meaning the KHL likely will honor contracts on a case by case basis. It's not fair, but that's the way it'll be.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post

Epic celebration was epic.

Especially with them screaming profanity to the camera and Tarasenko skating with the trophy past the Canadians. Not to mention their beautiful anthem. The most memorable WJC for me.

Last edited by Kershaw: 01-08-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 07:19 PM
azrok22

Medvedev's apparently ready to declare war on the NHL. So much for honoring the NHL-KHL memorandum of understanding.

Quote:
Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud

KHL Prez Medvedev to SportsDaily.ru: New CBA may be basis for terminating existing contracts, some players will stay.

More Medvedev. "NHL's opinion of itself is so high... OK, let them get drunk on their greatness. We'll see how many Euros look our way"

And more Medvedev. "Our league will act according to our own and international rules. If players decide to stay, we will help them."

Old
01-08-2013, 08:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I seriously doubt that Kovalchuk stays in Russia. That said, it is so, so great watching their fans **** themselves.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I seriously doubt that Kovalchuk stays in Russia. That said, it is so, so great watching their fans **** themselves.
For real. But now trying to do the formula for that cap benefit restructure **** on him, it doesn't look like they will lose anything. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but to me it looks like they will actually add cap space if he leaves.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:11 PM
broadwayblue

What does the KHL gain by having this agreement with the NHL?

Old
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What does the KHL gain by having this agreement with the NHL?
That's a good point. It's really up to Russian players if they want to play in the best league in the world, or go after the money. The KHL is a corrupt league where owners are actually willing to pay tens of millions to NHL stars to play there. The NHL's cap hurts them in that regard, but at the same time it's not to the NHL's benefit to offer similar packages as the KHL, especially because only Russians seem to use that threat as leverage.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Do they have to give up their pick this year? I would lol if they finish last and give up the pick. Would put a ton of pressure on Matteau.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Source : TVA Sports and RDS

L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver

Exclusive: #Habs will open season Saturday Jan 19 vs #Leafs in MTL, #NHL sources tell @TVASports. #Sens will play #Jets the same day

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
01-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Do they have to give up their pick this year? I would lol if they finish last and give up the pick. Would put a ton of pressure on Matteau.
They could give up the 2013 or 2014 pick.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Source : TVA Sports and RDS

L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver

Exclusive: #Habs will open season Saturday Jan 19 vs #Leafs in MTL, #NHL sources tell @TVASports. #Sens will play #Jets the same day
What's up with this BS of leaking some of the opening day matchups? Just give us the freaking schedule already. lol

Old
01-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
They could give up the 2013 or 2014 pick.
Oh right, I thought 2010 counted as a draft yr, but then I realized they were penalized after the draft.

I hope Kovy comes back though, most exciting player to watch in the league imo.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
This summer has been great watching devil fans become the biggest excuse makers on the boards, first with Zach and now this Kovalchuk debacle, if true, would be absolutely fantastic.

I think at the very least he is/has considered it and that alone should exclude him from the Captaincy he was rumored to receive.

The guy is a phenomenal talent but is as individualistic as a hockey player comes--both on the ice and off of it!

Closed Thread