HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Sign Subban

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
The thing is.. if numbers gets out. Others teams might offer sheet him at $7M+ per year and we're in trouble.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Yeah just heard that too. If it's true, that would be insane to sign him at those numbers.
I totally agree, and I'm one of PK's biggest fans on HF.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

The thing is if we ever sign him at $7M per year for a certain amount of years..let's say between 4-7 years..what's gonna happen if he decides to sit on his money and doesn't play good. Dougthy was less than stellar in his year following his contract extension. If that happens with subban, fans are going to kill Bergevin.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
LoonieDeals

Huge Subban fan, but no way in hell he gets / deserves $7.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingaran View Post
Huge Subban fan, but no way in hell he gets / deserves $7.
He deserves much more than $7

Old
01-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Classified

Quote:
The thing is.. if numbers gets out. Others teams might offer sheet him at $7M+ per year and we're in trouble.
Then let him go, the Habs are in trouble if they're paying him $7+

Old
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
DJ Breadman

on sportsnet they just talked about pk, they all agreed montreal will sign him, kipper said he would be ok with giving him 5mill a year doug mclean said he wouldn't go to far over 4. They talked about philly in dire need of dman and that if they want pk it'll cost them shawn couturier. Doug Mclean said if he was montreal he'd do that deal in a heartbeat

Old
01-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
on sportsnet they just talked about pk, they all agreed montreal will sign him, kipper said he would be ok with giving him 5mill a year doug mclean said he wouldn't go to far over 4. They talked about philly in dire need of dman and that if they want pk it'll cost them shawn couturier. Doug Mclean said if he was montreal he'd do that deal in a heartbeat
Depends. Flyers are more in need of PK than we are of Couturier. One on one, I wouldn't do it. I'm not a fan of PK, but I am realistic about his value and what he can bring to the ice. On the ice, he's your best asset. Ask Brad Marchand.

Last edited by Jabba11: 01-08-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I'd say that's a good example of why no one wants Maclean to GM their NHL franchise these days.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:58 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
I'd rather have the 4 1st rounders than PK at that price. Sorry PK, I love you but not at $7M.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:04 PM
WG

Quote:
Depends. Flyers are more in need of PK than we are of Couturier. One on one, I wouldn't do it. I'm not a fan of PK, but I am realistic about his value and what he can bring to the ice. Outside of the ice, I hate him. On the ice, he's your best asset. Ask Brad Marchand.
Care to elaborate why?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:04 PM
sheed36

Quote:
That's why Doug Maclean is working on Sportsnet and not a GM in the NHL anymore. I'm not saying the value isn't there but trading PK would create such a huge hole on the Habs defense so IMO he fills a much bigger need than what Couturier would on the Habs right now.

Also listening to the smugness that is Nick Kypreos is enough to make one puke..

Old
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
Care to elaborate why?
My own opinion. It doesn't matter. Not hate hate. Just not really a fan of him outside the ice. Sorry for the wrong choice of words. don't want to start anything here.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
My own opinion. It doesn't matter. Not hate hate. Just not really a fan of him outside the ice. Sorry for the wrong choice of words. don't want to start anything here.
But have you actually ever met him outside the ice? Or do you base your opinions only on stupid gossips and rumors?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
We're not in trouble at all, he can get offers, it only becomes serious if he actually signs one, and then we have a week to match or accept four 1st round picks.

Quote:
The thing is if we ever sign him at $7M per year for a certain amount of years..let's say between 4-7 years..what's gonna happen if he decides to sit on his money and doesn't play good. Dougthy was less than stellar in his year following his contract extension. If that happens with subban, fans are going to kill Bergevin.
First off, Doughty missed all camp and suffered a concussion early on, so it took time for him to bounce back. Ask those fans now how they feel about Doughty and his deal.
Second, why would Subban sit on his contract? He works so hard during practices that it rubs people off the wrong way. Not sure how we go from that to him becoming a slacker.
PK's talent and impact is undeniable, he won't suddenly become a 4th Dman. Not gonna happen. He is a #1 Dman in the NHL. The only reason why he wouldn't be one is because that team would already have a franchise Dman. So, is the risk really THAT big that he flops out a contract even if he's overpaid? I don't think so. Injury is the only risk.

Quote:
Depends. Flyers are more in need of PK than we are of Couturier. One on one, I wouldn't do it. I'm not a fan of PK, but I am realistic about his value and what he can bring to the ice. Outside of the ice, I hate him. On the ice, he's your best asset. Ask Brad Marchand.
Why do you hate him? I think you might have issues..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I'd rather have the 4 1st rounders than PK at that price. Sorry PK, I love you but not at $7M.
That depends. Four 1st rounders of a top team? Not really.

Quote:
What has he done outside the ice? If anything, reports say how much of a serious and hard trainer he is. He loves to work hard and takes his training extremely seriously.
So...what is it?? You don't make any sense.
Seems to me like you just ate up all the crap spewed out by the media on how he is rubbing some people off the wrong way because of his personality. Problem with that though is you have no idea what is actually going on. Maybe you'd actually get along with PK and find the other guys boring and stuck up. Stop forming opinions on hearsay and gossip.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Once again, I chose the wrong word for my expression.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Lshap

Sign the guy, even if it's a richer ELC than previously given and Bergevin has to personally smooth things over with Pacioretty and Price. PK's farther along than both those guys at the same stage and won't accept the Habs' old, conservative formula for contracts. Easy to say "Trade him", but that's exactly the bad habit the Habs keep repeating: oh, we'll just get someone better. We won't. PK is a big part of the winning team the Habs could become, if only they'd stop trading away assets for the illusion of something better. PK is one of our major building blocks, so unless there's some serious locker-room issue we don't know about, management needs to invest time and money in him. Treat him like a winner and he'll play like one.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:46 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
What if it was Edmonton offer sheeting him for 7M? How would you feel sloting Seth Jones into Subbans spot for next season?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Et le But

Couturier is the last thing this team needs. He's going to be a very nice player, I know he's big and speaks a certain language and all that but I'm still not convinced he has high end offensive upside. He might be more promising in that regard than say Leblanc or Eller, but call me a Lars homer but I don't think Eller is THAT far removed from Couturier...I mean look at the respective teams around them.

This team needs a Subban far more than it needs a Couturier.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
What if it was Edmonton offer sheeting him for 7M? How would you feel sloting Seth Jones into Subbans spot for next season?
Still not sure Jones will even be better than Subban in the long run, and I'm 100% sure he won't be better next year. But if it meant Jones+3 other 1st picks, then it definitely makes it more interesting.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Couturier is the last thing this team needs. He's going to be a very nice player, I know he's big and speaks a certain language and all that but I'm still not convinced he has high end offensive upside. He might be more promising in that regard than say Leblanc or Eller, but call me a Lars homer but I don't think Eller is THAT far removed from Couturier...I mean look at the respective teams around them.

This team needs a Subban far more than it needs a Couturier.
Subban @ 4-5m > Couts

Subban @ 7m < Couts

That's how I would look at it. I totally agree with everything you said, but if that's what it's going to take to actually sign him.. Adios!

His true market value today sits somewhere between 4-5 million per. That's what I expect him to come in around, and I totally expect us to sign him. Just playing out a hypothetical situation where he was going to get 7m. The other bright spot is, if we trade Subban... Seth Jones is in our pocket.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Still not sure Jones will even be better than Subban in the long run, and I'm 100% sure he won't be better next year. But if it meant Jones+3 other 1st picks, then it definitely makes it more interesting.
That isn't even mentioning who we take with our 1st which could be quite high aswell since Subban wont be there to anchor the D.

Just a thought.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Subban @ 4-5m > Couts

Subban @ 7m < Couts

That's how I would look at it. I totally agree with everything you said, but if that's what it's going to take to actually sign him.. Adios!

His true market value today sits somewhere between 4-5 million per. That's what I expect him to come in around, and I totally expect us to sign him. Just playing out a hypothetical situation where he was going to get 7m. The other bright spot is, if we trade Subban... Seth Jones is in our pocket.
Wasn't the whole point of the lockout for a new CBA to avoid teams getting stupid enough to say, give Subban 7M?

Old
01-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

I suppose the Habs could pay Subban as much as Doughty but why should they?

Old
01-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I suppose the Habs could pay Subban as much as Doughty but why should they?
To win.

But they won't. He won't fetch as much as Doughty.

Closed Thread