Did the Globe get the memo?

Old
01-08-2013, 07:08 AM
GarbageGoal
Frozen 4 Friars!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Not sure what they were thinking there. Shank needs to stick to kissing John Henry's butt..
Or planting the kiss of death.

I hope he lays a big smacker on someone this weekend.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:12 AM
GarbageGoal
Frozen 4 Friars!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Whether people care deeply about hockey or not is irrelevant.
Actually, when it comes to selling anything, it is. Especially in a front running town like this one.

Quite frankly, I'm done defending the morons who run the game that whine and cry that no one pays them the proper attention in the media. If they had started the season on time, AS THEY SHOULD HAVE, they'd have every right to ***** about lack of coverage. Now, they need to shut up and focus on getting back a thimble of the goodwill they screwed away with this charade the last four months.

Which reminds me, time to do my part and call to cancel Center Ice.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyscribe View Post
Agree with him or not, KPD is an excellent journalist, who provokes thought, has a legitimate opinion and blows most everyone in this market out of the water.

The Globe section isn't anywhere near as strong as it once was (the baseball people are awful), but between Dupes and Greg Bedard, the Globe is certainly worth the subscription money. And they've just hired a new guy from the LA Times who's going to significantly improve the Celtics coverage (thankfully).
If that isn't the definition of "World's tallest midget" then I don't know what is.

The poor Globe is like a ghost ship floating aimlessly in a sea of new media.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:44 AM
BergyDGD
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Did you follow KPD on Twitter during the lockout?
Unfortunately I did. All I ever saw from his twitter was lockout joke after lockout joke, no real news or facts. Never really liked KPD as a writer. Then when he lashed out at bloggers and boasted about how much charity work he can do because he's a "real" writer that writes for a big time paper I really disliked him. Not a huge Haggs fan either but I'll take him over the Paul Kelly loving bitter old man any day.

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
Unfortunately I did. All I ever saw from his twitter was lockout joke after lockout joke, no real news or facts. Never really liked KPD as a writer. Then when he lashed out at bloggers and boasted about how much charity work he can do because he's a "real" writer that writes for a big time paper I really disliked him. Not a huge Haggs fan either but I'll take him over the Paul Kelly loving bitter old man any day.
/Thread

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
joeyscribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
If that isn't the definition of "World's tallest midget" then I don't know what is.
Touche. Although, the Globe is part of the group leading the way to a new form of multi-platform journalism. As someone who isn't in the region anymore, I really enjoy its IPad app.

And KPD was thoroughly entertaining and informative on Twitter throughout the lockout.

Although I must say, the Globe's coverage of the WJC was terrible and it needs to cover local college hockey a lot better.

joeyscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyscribe View Post
Touche. Although, the Globe is part of the group leading the way to a new form of multi-platform journalism. As someone who isn't in the region anymore, I really enjoy its IPad app.

And KPD was thoroughly entertaining and informative on Twitter throughout the lockout.

Although I must say, the Globe's coverage of the WJC was terrible and it needs to cover local college hockey a lot better.
meh, somewhat entertaining. as far as informative, didn't it seem like he was always a day late and a dollar short? Way too many retweets. Memo to all sportswriters - get over yourself, if a fan is following you chances are we're following many other reporters as well. In other words If you see that B. Mckenzie has just tweeted some breaking news then we've already seen it. Don't just retweet and clutter up our twitter timeline.

Speaking of not getting memos - the NHL network has been absolutely USELESS during this lockout.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
doc5hole

Quote:
Whether people care deeply about hockey or not is irrelevant. The Globe used to be the standard-bearer for Boston sports, and Dupont as far as I could see did a lousy job during the lockout (I think Fluto's been on paternity leave). I'm not a big Haggs fan, as I said, but he's done a solid job not just on the CBA talks but on keeping his readers informed on the Bruins themselves. I am not a Larry Brooks fan, but he worked hard during the lockout and should get credit, as did many others.

The Globe's hockey coverage has been less than stellar for some time now. It's not the first place I go for news, that's for sure.

I respect your opinion but, as a newspaper employee as well as a friend to the parties named, I can confidently say that the differences in the product are not the result of a difference in commitment to the job but rather the philosophies of our employers. But, as much as I cringe when reading reporter report cards, so to speak, the reactions are healthy food for industry thought.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Or planting the kiss of death.

I hope he lays a big smacker on someone this weekend.
I've watched that video twice and not heard a word DS has to say! I do miss Heidi.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

The globe hockey is pretty bad now KPD has come down from his position at the pinnacle of the hockey writing world. (KPD had a phenomenal 20+ year run though so a lot of it is that he is bad by default no matter what he writes just because he used to be so freakin good.) Fluto sucks. Just a sorry product.

Shank is suck a POS for the article slamming Houston.

Last time the Pats were in this scenario they lost to the Jets.

But seriously, this guy always writes these stupid articles like "Boston wins too much" or "What next, its too easy" he has had some of the same stupid **** to say EVERY FREAKIN YEAR WHEN THE PATS clinch the division. I don't think he has taken a year off of writing some condescending piece about it being too easy for the Pats.

The Globe needs to force him into retirement.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:27 PM
GarbageGoal
Frozen 4 Friars!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post

Shank is suck a POS for the article slamming Houston.
YES! Thatta boy, Schmuck, er, Shank!

He's a tool who appeals to the lowest common denominator of local fan with his alternating rah rah we're so good bull**** and "see I told you so" second guessing the day after. Nevermind he's made money off his tradeMARK (emphasis on the mark for the rubes who buy it) phrases he turns into crappy books.

But then again, this is WAY off topic, because CHB knows jack about hockey or the Bruins.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Duguay
Stay at home Forward

Quote:
If I want preaching, I'll go to church. Dupont can stay behind his Globe subscription wall with CHB and I'll enjoy hockey without the "hey you kids get off my lawn" rants.
Ahem, somebody set off the "Irony Air Horn" then.

Maybe this *is* Church. It sure seems to me I am hearing another sermon right now.

Duguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
To each their own I guess... Made some very good points about what was going on...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:45 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
Ahem, somebody set off the "Irony Air Horn" then.

Maybe this *is* Church. It sure seems to me I am hearing another sermon right now.
Doooooogs.....What's up brother?

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Duguay
Stay at home Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Doooooogs.....What's up brother?

Friggin Broon Hockey Lou-seph!

Duguay is offline   Reply With Quote