HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Is the light getting brighter?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Elusive Derposaurus
Best Dino Alive

vCash: 500
My buddy had an idea that I didn't necessarily agree with from Florida's POV, but he believes it works, wanted to know your guy's thougths (I'm not sure if he heard it from somewhere before but, let me know)

Florida:
Luongo
Schroeder

Vancouver:
Weiss
Jovonaski
2nd 2013

I believe Florida gives up too much for this, as Weiss is one of their top scorers. Take it as a grain of salt though.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
What are you going to do if he ends up getting traded for one of those low offers most of the media is suggesting?

Note I am not saying because the media is saying it it will happen I'm just asking.
In all fairness, unless we get a massive return, Y2K is going to explode. Most of us realize we're not getting Gardiner++ for Luongo. Gardiner is only involved if Schneider were the target. And even then it wouldn't be quite so enormous.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Derposaurus View Post
My buddy had an idea that I didn't necessarily agree with from Florida's POV, but he believes it works, wanted to know your guy's thougths (I'm not sure if he heard it from somewhere before but, let me know)

Florida:
Luongo
Schroeder

Vancouver:
Weiss
Jovonaski
2nd 2013

I believe Florida gives up too much for this, as Weiss is one of their top scorers. Take it as a grain of salt though.
Ninja-edit, that used to be a 1st!

Yes if it were a 1st, no if it were a 2nd.

It could also be Petrovic.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:03 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
As a Canucks fan I'm honestly sick of these dumbass proposals (from both new age Canucks fans, as well as other team's fans) sending Luongo out for a bunch of spare parts coming the other way.

Honestly guys. Bozak? Upshall? Vancouver is a world class city - one of the best in the world and consistently rated as such. We're a contender now and will be for the next few years. We have guys like that lining up to sign in the offseason. Every summer for the past three years we've had sought after free agents take pay cuts to play for us. In what world does anyone think Gillis trades an elite goaltender for a spare part he could have signed in the offseason? I don't give a **** about his "cap hit" or penalty, that only matters to team who plan to spend the max every year for the next 10 years, and that's only like 35-40% of the league.

Goaltending is such an important position, and Luongo is the only great option available. Look around the league at how many elite goalies have been traded in the past 10 years, not a damn lot. if you want a good one you usually have to develop one, and drafting them can be a crap shoot to begin with. But low and behold, due to a team with a wealth of talent, one become available. Time to ante up because Gillis isn't an idiot and he knows the value of his hand even if others try and bluff him out of it. I honestly hope he keeps both until the deadline because no other addition at any other position is as valuable in the playoff hunt as an elite goalie with playoff experience ready to go to war.
Talk about missing the point...

This is about Luongo's contract and the fact goalies, even elite ones never fetch a huge return back. So bragging about your nice city has nothing to do with Luongo's situation.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Elusive Derposaurus
Best Dino Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Ninja-edit, that used to be a 1st!

Yes if it were a 1st, no if it were a 2nd.

It could also be Petrovic.
Yeah I messed it up right away, he was like NO A SECOND NOT A FIRST!!! Lol

Old
SouthFLFan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Derposaurus View Post

Florida:
Luongo
Schroeder

Vancouver:
Weiss
Jovonaski
2nd 2013

No thanks from a florida perspective. Weiss is worth more to us then Luongo by far

Old
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
It's not so much that it's Luongo, it's mainly that a lot of people hate the canucks for whatever reason. If Luongo was say, a New York Ranger, you'll see fair proposals. I mean, If you compare Lundqvist with Luongo, there really isn't much difference. But for some reason, If I to a proposal say.. Gardiner 1st + for Lunqvist, Toronto fans will be like DEAL!
Lundqvist also has 2 years on his deal and NY doesn't have another goalie signed that is pushing him out the door. And if Lundqvist was saying he really only wanted to play in one particular place and had a no trade you'd see the same kind of proposals.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:06 PM
pavelbure604

don't want kadri at all, kids a bust, career ahler

Old
01-08-2013, 09:07 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
In all fairness, unless we get a massive return, Y2K is going to explode. Most of us realize we're not getting Gardiner++ for Luongo. Gardiner is only involved if Schneider were the target. And even then it wouldn't be quite so enormous.
It is kind of understandable too. It has to be tough to see this happening to one of his fav players.

Im sure if he is traded to the Leafs there will be guys freaking out on both sides no matter what we give up for him.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelbure604 View Post
don't want kadri at all, kids a bust, career ahler

Old
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
The thing is, Gillis has told Vancouver fans in his own words the trade might not bring immediate help. It seems his words have been ignored.

Old
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

FLA Fans it is a known fact that Luongo practiced with a lot of your players. A lot of them had nothing but positive things to say, that being said, would you not agree it might make Tallon want to push a bit harder if those players are more of the veteran presence in the locker room?

Old
Numbers

If Luongo does get traded to Leafs, how great of a start would it be play in Montreal for the 1st game with the Leafs. Wow what a night it would be for everyone.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The thing is, Gillis has told Vancouver fans in his own words the trade might not bring immediate help. It seems his words have been ignored.
Well now you are ignoring his words. He said it would make the team different.

Old
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
If Luongo does get traded to Leafs, how great of a start would it be play in Montreal for the 1st game with the Leafs. Wow what a night it would be for everyone.
I would root on the Habs hahahaha I would get enough chances to see Luongo on HNIC.

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
If we do get him it would be the perfect first game.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Well now you are ignoring his words. He said it would make the team different.
No, he said they might not get immediate help.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale
I don't think he demanded a trade, I think it was more a mutual understanding of "2 guys, 1 crease" not being fair to either goalie in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers
Luongo may have asked, but I think would also have said that he would be a good teammate either way. Believe it or not he is a really good guy and I am truly sorry that he is leaving Vancouver. If value is right I would be open to trading Schneider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist
I think Luongo read the writing on the wall. He knew Vancouver management wanted to move forward with Schneider, and asking to be traded was just a means of maintaining his pride. Were he to not have asked, he would have been asked to waive. And he knew it. Luongo is a very, very intelligent man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN
Luongo wants what is best for this team. He is an ultimate team player, a stand up guy. If that means playing 1B for a contender in one of the best cities in the world until a team decides they really want him to be a piece of the puzzle I'm sure he's down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train
I disagree.

I posted what he has been saying for a while now he wants to do what's best for the Canucks, his family, and himself.

You can read into that as much as you want too, but to me Luongo is still a very good player and if he wants to win a cup this year at least he has some certainty with the Canucks. Why would he want to depreciate his value?
I don't think Brian Burke would see it that way. When a player comes out to the media and says it's best if he moves onto another team, even if there are different circumstances like with Luongo. What Brian Burke see's is Mike Gillis wants to trade him because he basically has no choice, no matter how much Gillis claims keeping him would not be a problem. So in the end since Luongo came out to media saying he wants to be traded is no different when Rick Nash or Danny Heatley did the exact same thing.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Pfft. Looks completely uncredible.
looks like someone from Iron Chef.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I don't think Brian Burke would see it that way. When a player comes out to the media and says it's best if he moves onto another team, even if there are different circumstances like with Luongo. What Brian Burke see's is Mike Gillis wants to trade him because he basically has no choice, no matter how much Gillis claims keeping him would not be a problem. So in the end since Luongo came out to media saying he wants to be traded is no different when Rick Nash or Danny Heatley did the exact same thing.
Rick Nash got two 2nd liners, a top prospect, and a 1st.

The Leafs equivalent would probably be Kulemin, Bozak, Kadri, 1st.

And that's with Howson as a GM.

Hardly scraps.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Numbers

Quote:
If we do get him it would be the perfect first game.
From a business standpoint I think Luongo would bring a ton of extra money to Toronto, not saying they need it. But think about jersey sales, endorsement deals, advertising from tv time. Wonder if Bell and Rogers are thinking about this as owners.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Lundy is younger, doesn't have a negative reputation in big games(deserved or not), isnt owed money after he retires, his team isnt being forced to trade him and he just won the vesna.

They dont have the same value.
Did you watch the last playoffs? Lundqvist was brutal!

Old
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Did you watch the last playoffs? Lundqvist was brutal!
lol?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
How is there not a choice? He has a choice to hold onto him until a decent deal comes through. I would hope he could get more than just listed, but I don't expect a lot more.

Again, Burke can see one thing, but in the MG has the ball in his court. Again, until Luongo flat out comes and say I want a trade right now which he has not, I look at it differently than you and perhaps how Burkie is looking.

Then again he keeps claiming you have "NHL Caliber" goaltending...which IMO is a big no.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
FLA Fans it is a known fact that Luongo practiced with a lot of your players. A lot of them had nothing but positive things to say, that being said, would you not agree it might make Tallon want to push a bit harder if those players are more of the veteran presence in the locker room?
Sure he may consider it but I still hope he doesn't trade something stupid for Luongo. Tallon wants to build through the draft and smart trades. Trading one of his better prospects for a position that isn't a great need isn't a smart trade. Don't think he's going to change that because the players tell him Luongo is a good goalie.

Closed Thread