HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 08:52 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I like Frattin more too. Kadri seems more an more like a bust to me. He's either a top six player or useless IMO. Frattin has skill and is still fairly gritty that I could see him as a pretty good NHL third line player.
Neither are NHL players on a contender.

They aren't even top prospects.

If we can't even get a top prospect or a 1st round pick along with a UFA rental for a top level goalie, why make the move during this season?

Like please folks tell me why you'd make that deal in a short season.

We're a Schneider groin strain away from the draft lottery....

Old
01-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Not relevant to the fake deal, but why are people talking like Frattin is a downgrade from Kadri?
They're different. Frattin is older and has more limited upside, whereas Kadri is a boom/bust prospect that likely doesn't help us much this year or next but could end up being a Mike Ribeiro type in 3 or 4 years.

I like Frattin because I think he's a good fit with Lapierre and Kassian on the 4th line. Would give us size, physicality and some offensive punch for once. Frattin the shooter, Kassian the passer - could make for a good fit.

I've never liked Kadri when I've seen him but he still could turn into an impact player at the NHL level. On the fence whether or not I would want him as a piece coming back...

Old
01-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Frattin would make our 4th line IMO. Upgrade on Dale Weiss.

We're not a Schneider injury away from the draft lottery. Could potentially miss the playoffs though with a slew of injuries to our top players. Like every other team in the league...

Old
01-08-2013, 08:58 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
They're different. Frattin is older and has more limited upside, whereas Kadri is a boom/bust prospect that likely doesn't help us much this year or next but could end up being a Mike Ribeiro type in 3 or 4 years.

I like Frattin because I think he's a good fit with Lapierre and Kassian on the 4th line. Would give us size, physicality and some offensive punch for once. Frattin the shooter, Kassian the passer - could make for a good fit.

I've never liked Kadri when I've seen him but he still could turn into an impact player at the NHL level. On the fence whether or not I would want him as a piece coming back...
If Kadri doesn't make the NHL team next year he'll be subject to waivers to get him down.

Makes no sense to acquire a 22 year old player, you will lose to waivers....especially when you don't think he'll be able to make a impact in the NHL for 3 or 4 more years.

It's crazy to me to even suggest him as a main piece. He's a throw in.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Edonator

Quote:
I love how quickly people jump on y2k on this board. It's hilarious.
I wish he'd get banned for being so ugh instead of us getting violations time after time shooting him down with little slightly offensive comments.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

We're not a Schneider injury away from the draft lottery. Could potentially miss the playoffs though with a slew of injuries to our top players. Like every other team in the league...
Classic case of over valuing other teams players.

Weise is younger.

Has better numbers in the AHL, has played a full season in the NHL as a pro.

Ridiculous to think that's an upgrade, lateral at best.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:03 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:

They aren't even top prospects.

If we can't even get a top prospect or a 1st round pick along with a UFA rental for a top level goalie, why make the move during this season?

Like please folks tell me why you'd make that deal in a short season.

Not saying we should make a deal, just saying I like Frattin better. Just see more potential in him over Kadri. We also need scoring depth, we're a Daniel Sedin concussion away from being able to score a few goals a game if that, maximum.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:03 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
I wish he'd get banned for being so ugh instead of us getting violations time after time shooting him down with little slightly offensive comments.
If you don't have anything nice to say....

Old
01-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
If Kadri doesn't make the NHL team next year he'll be subject to waivers to get him down.

Makes no sense to acquire a 22 year old player, you will lose to waivers....especially when you don't think he'll be able to make a impact in the NHL for 3 or 4 more years.

It's crazy to me to even suggest him as a main piece. He's a throw in.
Yeah, I don't like any deal built around Kadri.

To Tor- Luongo, Raymond
To Van- Kulemin, Bozak, 1st

I make that deal. Though Burke won't be moving his 1st IMO.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:05 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

So you think we can get to the playoffs if we trade Luongo and Schneider gets injured?

Sorry this team can't score enough to overcome AHL goaltending.

You think AV is a defensive coach, imagine what he'd do with Climie as our goalie.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
So you think we can get to the playoffs if we trade Luongo and Schneider gets injured?

You think AV is a defensive coach, imagine what he'd do with Climie as our goalie.
Do you think LA makes the playoffs if Quick gets injured? What about NYR if they have to rely on Biron to carry them?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
I love how quickly people jump on y2k on this board. It's hilarious.
Probably because he takes overvaluing to a whole new level. That and the random Sedin hatred.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Classic case of over valuing other teams players.

Weise is younger.

Has better numbers in the AHL, has played a full season in the NHL as a pro.

Ridiculous to think that's an upgrade, lateral at best.
That's an odd way to evaluate players. Quote their AHl numbers and give Weise credit for playing more games in the NHL with significantly less production...

Weise has 4G, 4A in 78 NHL games - Frattin had twice as many goals and assists in 20 less games.

Frattin also scored 24 goals in 36 AHL games in '11-12. Miles better than anything Weise has ever done as a pro.

I take Frattin over Weise without thinking twice. And I don't mind Weise as a 12-13 th forward project.

'Lateral at best' is a much tougher stance to defend...

Old
01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

The Canucks are the best offensive team in the NHL...

Are you assuming Schneider gets injured the 1st game of the year?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
That's an odd way to evaluate players. Quote their AHl numbers and give Weise credit for playing more games in the NHL with significantly less production...

Weise has 4G, 4A in 78 NHL games - Frattin had twice as many goals and assists in 20 less games.

Frattin also scored 24 goals in 36 AHL games in '11-12. Miles better than anything Weise has ever done as a pro.

I take Frattin over Weise without thinking twice. And I don't mind Weise as a 12-13 th forward project.

But Weise is the Gretzky of the Netherlands.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:

You do realize of any starter goaltenders last year, only Reimer was out with any longevity, yes? Even Lu's injury was a little over a week or so. We would be perfectly fine rolling Luongo/Schneider and Lack.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Do you think LA makes the playoffs if Quick gets injured? What about NYR if they have to rely on Biron to carry them?
Yeah I do think those team do.

Biron is an NHL goalie with starting experience.

Jonathan Bernier is better than anything we have.

Eddie lack isn't healthy.

I just don't see the reasoning behind moving a top tier goalie in a compressed season for non impact pieces.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I was thinking this as well. I mean perhaps Bernier could get them in, but not provide the level that Quick provided last year.

No team can sustain that. Bottom line the Canucks need size, and depth up front to pound the opponent. in 2009, 2010 the Hawks were the bigger more physical team. Before the Manny injury the Canucks depth was key and they beat the crap out of the Hawks, Preds and SHarks before the Bruins size and injuries were too much to overcome. Last year the Kings were far to big and focused.

I would trade Luongo for Size and depth in a heartbeat.

If you are too scared to trade the guy, then gut the team, trade the other players and start over with Lu.

But I think you know otherwise. Y2K, what do you trade Luongo for? What package is acceptable to help the team?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Yeah I do think those team do.

Biron is an NHL goalie with starting experience.

Jonathan Bernier is better than anything we have.

Eddie lack isn't healthy.

I just don't see the reasoning behind moving a top tier goalie in a compressed season for non impact pieces.
LA barely squeaked into the playoffs as it was and Biron is nowhere close to Lundqvist's level. Not two years ago the only reason the Rangers were even relevant is because Lundqvist damn near dragged them into 7-10th kicking and screaming. Philly managed to run the full gauntlet with Michael bloody Leighton. What of Chicago, Detroit, Nashville, Montreal, Boston? There are numerous teams who have a sharp decline between starter and backup goalies, yet they manage.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

I'd take the guy who scored 28 goals isn't hurt all the time, and has actually shown to be effective in a 4th line role.

Clearly Frattin received more opportunity at the NHL level than Weise.

Weise stuck on the presidents trophy team.

Frattin a call up from the AHL because he couldn't stick with a lottery team.

What Makes Frattin better? At this stage Weise is ahead of him in development and younger.

I mean you can look at his NHL production and say Weise isn't as good, but how often did he start in his own end? What about Frattin?

Who did Weise play with? Frattin?

It's truly a grass is greener belief for you here.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:27 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
The Canucks are the best offensive team in the NHL...

Are you assuming Schneider gets injured the 1st game of the year?
No I'm not suggesting Schneider will get hurt in game 1, but in a compressed season where there will be multiple 3 games in 4 nights stretches it makes more sense to have to goalies you know you can count on.

To me it's more important than Bozak.

Forgive me for not trusting the Canucks scoring - all I can remember is that they couldn't score in the playoffs. what was it 8 goals in 5 games.

@bourne endeavour - this isn't last season, they are playing 48 games in a very tight schedule, and a lot of us are worried about throwing a guy who has never played more than 35 games in a season into the fire. Schneider gets hurt, you can't afford to let him rest it....I don't know who the back-up is for me, but its going to be a huge downgrade to the one we've carried the last two years.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:33 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
No I'm not suggesting Schneider will get hurt in game 1, but in a compressed season where there will be multiple 3 games in 4 nights stretches it makes more sense to have to goalies you know you can count on.

Forgive me for not trusting the Canucks scoring - all I can remember is that they couldn't score in the playoffs. what was it 8 goals in 5 games.
I can see the upside of keeping Luongo, but I can also see the upside of trading Luongo for some scoring upfront for, for example, Weiss. I agree that there's no reason to make a deal that has Bozak and other scrap pieces because in this compressed schedule, it would be nice to have Schneider/Luongo swapping games so they aren't fatigued for the playoffs.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:

Again the hockey gods decided the Canucks should go into the playoffs in a brain fuzz, without their best winger, breaking up through injury what was going to be a solid 2nd line in Booth, Kesler, Higgins... AV was an idiot Injuries scare me more than anything, which is why depth on all 4 lines is going to be key.

Luongo on the bench, incase of an injury changes nothing... depth from a trade for Luongo allows the team to overcome a goaltending challenge. Luongo simply must be traded.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I can see the upside of keeping Luongo, but I can also see the upside of trading Luongo for some scoring upfront for, for example, Weiss. I agree that there's no reason to make a deal that has Bozak and other scrap pieces because in this compressed schedule, it would be nice to have Schneider/Luongo swapping games so they aren't fatigued for the playoffs.
But it isn't like the other teams are playing their goalies 30 games and 18 games... almost all the teams are going to be in the same position, so the risk is the same.

It's like the Canucks are the only team with a starter playing in 46 games... are they?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
But it isn't like the other teams are playing their goalies 30 games and 18 games... almost all the teams are going to be in the same position, so the risk is the same.

It's like the Canucks are the only team with a starter playing in 46 games... are they?
Risk is the same, but I'd rather not take a risk and have both goalies than have scraps, is all. I'm all for going after Weiss though. We need more scoring depth, badly.

Closed Thread