HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2013 Line Combos

Old
01-08-2013, 04:34 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
We definitely will add a defenceman. We only have six guys and two of them are injured. So even when Lundin comes back, we'll be shorthanded.

01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
OttawaSenators11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
We definitely will add a defenceman. We only have six guys and two of them are injured. So even when Lundin comes back, we'll be shorthanded.
I think so too! Lundin is out 4 weeks, i thought i heard. So we'll be seeing a new face at some point before the season starts, imo

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:06 PM
source

vCash: 500
Quote:
We lack a #2 dman, but you can bet Murray will only be looking around for a #5 or #6.

It's a real good thing the cap is coming down (at least for year 2 of the CBA, who knows about beyond that) for this team. We just couldn't compete financially during the last couple of years in the old CBA.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:19 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
We lack a #2 dman, but you can bet Murray will only be looking around for a #5 or #6.

It's a real good thing the cap is coming down (at least for year 2 of the CBA, who knows about beyond that) for this team. We just couldn't compete financially during the last couple of years in the old CBA.
I don't necessarily believe this is true. We were pretty well up to the cap before we imploded the roster.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Quote:
I don't necessarily believe this is true. We were pretty well up to the cap before we imploded the roster.
Funding Alfie, Spezza and Heatley with Redden on the blueline wasn't exactly bargain basement.

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:23 PM
source

Quote:
True, right before Melnyk's divorce our payroll was as high as it had ever been.

But then the cap went up substantially, Melnyk got divorced and ran into trouble with the law, and the product on the ice didn't pay off in playoff success.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:13 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanik View Post
Funding Alfie, Spezza and Heatley with Redden on the blueline wasn't exactly bargain basement.
Financially we competed, but we had many players who got a lot of money as a reward for the 07 playoffs. As they got old, we declined. But I agree, if the cap continued to rise, we would be middle of the pack, instead of near the top.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:21 PM
General Granny*

Umm seeing how we went hard after Nash this off season and the signing of Gonchar and Kovalev the last couple of seasons, I don't think its a matter of a money issue, its that we are in a rebuild with a bunch of young unproven guys in the lineup that have yet to receive their 2nd-3rd contract.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
True, right before Melnyk's divorce our payroll was as high as it had ever been.

But then the cap went up substantially, Melnyk got divorced and ran into trouble with the law, and the product on the ice didn't pay off in playoff success.
Melnyk will spend when the time is right, as I recall he was willing to take on the Nash contract recently.

However he is on the record, as is Murray, stating they won't sign big contract players unless they believe it will significantly advance the rebuilding process.

IMO you really should refrain from using Melnyk's personal problems to support your notion the Sens weren't able to keep up financially under the old CBA.

It is fairly safe to assume you know nothing about his financial state post his divorce, simply because a court in Barbados has sealed the divorce file and banned publication of any of its details without the court's permission.

Given that Melnyk appears to still be in control of Bert's Bar, the Ottawa Senators, and Winding Oaks Farm, it might be safe to say he had a prenup that offered him significant financial protection.

Personally I think Melnyk finally listened to Murray's advice. Spending to the cap doesn't guarantee a winner, good drafting, development and judicious signings are the key to long term success.

This approach has not only provided for a more exciting, youth filled and successful team on the ice, it also netted Melnyk $14M before taxes last year.

PS Melnyk wasn't in trouble with the law, the U.S. securities regulator (SEC) and the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) brought a case against Biovail over its accounting practices, the company paid $15.4M and Melynk paid $1M to settle the complaint.

In settling with the SEC, Biovail, Canada's largest publicly traded pharmaceutical company, did not admit to any wrongdoing and agreed to have an independent consultant examine its accounting and related functions.

I seriously doubt this amount cause Melnyk or Biovail a great deal of financial stress.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 01-08-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

2013 Line Combos

To Start the Season:

Silfverberg - Spezza - Michalek
Latemdresse - Turris - Alfredsson
Greening - Regin - Condra
Z. Smith - JOB - Neil/Daugavins

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Gonchar
Phillips - Foster/Boroweicki

Anderson - Bishop

To end the Season:

Silfverberg - Spezza - Michalek
Greening - Turris - Alfredsson
Latendress - JOB - Stone
Dzuirzynski - Z. Smith - Neil/Grant

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Lundin
Phillips - Foster/Boroweicki

Anderson - (experienced NHL backup)

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:35 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
IMO you really should refrain from using Melnyk's personal problems to support your notion the Sens weren't able to keep up financially under the old CBA.

It is fairly safe to assume you know nothing about his financial state post his divorce, simply because a court in Barbados has sealed the divorce file and banned publication of any of its details without the court's permission.
I think it merits consideration, as does the fact that Biovail is no longer the money-maker it once was for Euge.

I also think that you shouldn't have a boxed perspective on the so-called "rebuild" this team is going through. We are not the New York Islanders or the Edmonton Oilers of the last few years. We have a good team with a couple (relatively large, albeit) holes.

If Melnyk wants to spend, he can. We have the cap space. I don't think there is a strong argument to be made that an elite forward and a top defenseman wouldn't put us into Stanley Cup contention.

EDIT: In response to other stuff you said - I don't think there is evidence to suggest Melnyk is dirt poor, but there are good reasons out there to support my claim that he is being stingy with the O-Sens.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:39 PM
SelleckStache

vCash: 50
With this D, there is likely going to be some riculously high shot counts against. It's a good thing we have 3 goalies that seem to perform well in this scenario. IF there's any stumble out of the gates by Anderson, I wouldn't be surprised if Lehner gets the starts as he's been playing the most.

Although, both he and Bishop have been fed a healthy dose of shots so far this season

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
I think it merits consideration, as does the fact that Biovail is no longer the money-maker it once was for Euge.

I also think that you shouldn't have a boxed perspective on the so-called "rebuild" this team is going through. We are not the New York Islanders or the Edmonton Oilers of the last few years. We have a good team with a couple (relatively large, albeit) holes.

If Melnyk wants to spend, he can. We have the cap space. I don't think there is a strong argument to be made that an elite forward and a top defenseman wouldn't put us into Stanley Cup contention.
A player of Nash's quality and age isn't available in the everyday NHL market, so while your contention may be right, they aren't often available.

FYI, Melnyk has sold off most of his holdings in Biovail Corp. and is no longer involved with the company.

Besides those ventures I mentioned in an earlier post, Melnyk is involved in Trimel Biopharma Holdings Inc., Fusion Brands Inc., and PurGenesis.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

EDIT: In response to other stuff you said - I don't think there is evidence to suggest Melnyk is dirt poor, but there are good reasons out there to support my claim that he is being stingy with the O-Sens.
What are those reasons you allude to that are based on fact, not speculation?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:07 PM
source

Quote:
A player of Nash's quality and age isn't available in the everyday NHL market, so while your contention may be right, they aren't often available.

FYI, Melnyk has sold off most of his holdings in Biovail Corp. and is no longer involved with the company.

Besides those ventures I mentioned in an earlier post, Melnyk is involved in Trimel Biopharma Holdings Inc., Fusion Brands Inc., and PurGenesis.
You criticize me for not giving you facts, but based on this information you provided me with, I can reasonably speculate that those companies don't provide Melnyk with anything close to what Biovail did.

Unfortunately being a small market team and having a relatively more stingy owner isn't the only problem; I realize that. Ottawa simply is not a big draw for a lot of guys, for various reasons.

Quote:
What are those reasons you allude to that are based in fact, not speculation?
Just because we don't know the specifics of a given fact (ex: Melnyk's divorce proceedings) doesn't mean it is without value to this analysis. Often, rich people like Melnyk can lose quite a bit of money from divorce proceedings.

Putting all of that aside for the moment though - why Guillaume Latendresse? This is the type of signing the Phoenix Coyotes make. We are a team on the rise, but we also have a decent group right now. Don't you agree?

If we don't put all of our efforts into signing a top defenceman (or two, following the departure of Gonchar) and a top forward in July 2013, then my opinion will have been re-enforced. If we don't go out and make those signings, then clearly Melnyk isn't flush enough. There's a risk that we'd fall flat in spite of those signings, and if Melnyk doesn't make them, it's an indication that he is more risk-averse these days.

What's it going to take for him to take the plunge?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
That's plain disrespectful to the Euge.

He has always been there with the money when it was time to spend it.

Karlsson, Spezza, Heatley, Kovalev, Gonchar, The possibility of taking on Nash's salary.

Spending to the cap for the sake of spending to the cap is stupid.

It's not what you spend, it's how you spend it.

You must not remember the Bryden days when they couldn't make payroll, or the even earlier days when they went to war with Yashin over missing a bonus clause by one point, or trading Demitra because they couldn't afford to give him the one way contract he deserved.

Kids these days...

John Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
That's plain disrespectful to the Euge.

He has always been there with the money when it was time to spend it.

Karlsson, Spezza, Heatley, Kovalev, Gonchar, The possibility of taking on Nash's salary.

Spending to the cap for the sake of spending to the cap is stupid.

It's not what you spend, it's how you spend it.

You must not remember the Bryden days when they couldn't make payroll, or the even earlier days when they went to war with Yashin over missing a bonus clause by one point, or trading Demitra because they couldn't afford to give him the one way contract he deserved.

Kids these days...
My point is pretty simple. We're at the bottom of the league in terms of our payroll, and could benefit greatly from dishing out an extra 10 mil to top players.

Why don't we do it?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:27 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

Who is available that fits your criteria?

Are we one player away from contending? Is this the time to go "all in" and take a run?

No.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Who is available that fits your criteria?

Are we one player away from contending? Is this the time to go "all in" and take a run?

No.
I'm not saying we suddenly go "all in" and break the bank. Although some here think we should be waiting for that special moment before spending any kind of money.

But if you think in terms of thresholds, then you are deluded if you don't see that an extra few million bucks worth of NHL-quality players would make a difference to this bubble team.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:33 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

Quote:
My point is pretty simple. We're at the bottom of the league in terms of our payroll, and could benefit greatly from dishing out an extra 10 mil to top players.

Why don't we do it?
Because we're entering season two of a rebuild? We aren't close to being contenders.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 400
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quick question on Lundin's injury...

Is it still his back?

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:36 PM
source

Quote:
Because we're entering season two of a rebuild? We aren't close to being contenders.
In what way is it a bad idea to make a big signing?

The question should be about the amount of $$ spent on improving the team, but we are not spending very much at all, no sir.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:36 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Quick question on Lundin's injury...

Is it still his back?
He broke his thumb. Needed surgery.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 400
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Alright, thanks for the info.

He definitely can't catch a break.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
I'm not saying we suddenly go "all in" and break the bank. Although some here think we should be waiting for that special moment before spending any kind of money.

But if you think in terms of thresholds, then you are deluded if you don't see that an extra few million bucks worth of NHL-quality players would make a difference to this bubble team.
Ok...but who is this magic player that we should bring in that would make that difference?

Eugene already gave BM the green light to go after Nash...what more proof do you need that the money will be available for the right move?