HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Is the light getting brighter?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
  #326
EvoLu7ioN
Registered User
 
EvoLu7ioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Talk about missing the point...

This is about Luongo's contract and the fact goalies, even elite ones never fetch a huge return back. So bragging about your nice city has nothing to do with Luongo's situation.
His contract is only detrimental or harmful to a team expecting to spend to the salary cap max. If/when he retires early, his potential new team would be on the hook for a cap hit penalty only, they would not have to pay him his actual cash.

So if you're a team with an internal budget that cannot spend to the cap max anyways (there are always 5-10) then that artificial cap hit is meaningless - It only matters to teams who would have spent that extra cap hit penalty on another player.

That's why it's funny when Florida panther fans complain about the penalty when really that market will never generate enough revenue to allow ownership to spend to the cap max.

EvoLu7ioN is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:22 PM
  #327
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
From a business standpoint I think Luongo would bring a ton of extra money to Toronto, not saying they need it. But think about jersey sales, endorsement deals, advertising from tv time. Wonder if Bell and Rogers are thinking about this as owners.
If he brings a winning team he brings money but just based on his name and who he is I dont agree.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
  #328
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
His contract is only detrimental or harmful to a team expecting to spend to the salary cap max. If/when he retires early, his potential new team would be on the hook for a cap hit penalty only, they would not have to pay him his actual cash.

So if you're a team with an internal budget that cannot spend to the cap max anyways (there are always 10+) then that artificial cap hit is meaningless - It only matters to teams who would have spent that extra cap hit penalty on another player.
Wrong. His contract is in the "Frontloaded" years. His salary is higher than his cap hit for the next 6 seasons. That's not good for small market teams watching their budgets either.

Face it, that contract will scare away everyone but 1 or 2 teams.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:25 PM
  #329
EvoLu7ioN
Registered User
 
EvoLu7ioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Wrong. His contract is in the "Frontloaded" years. His salary is higher than his cap hit for the next 6 seasons. That's not good for small market teams watching their budgets either.

Face it, that contract will scare away everyone but 1 or 2 teams.
Not when Vancouver is in the position to take a bad contract back and simply buy it out.

EvoLu7ioN is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:26 PM
  #330
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,407
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Wrong. His contract is in the "Frontloaded" years. His salary is higher than his cap hit for the next 6 seasons. That's not good for small market teams watching their budgets either.

Face it, that contract will scare away everyone but 1 or 2 teams.
Except we know that all of the Leafs, Panthers, Oilers, and Blackhawks have expressed some form of interest. If they saw the contract as making him have negative value, why would they bother?

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:26 PM
  #331
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Did you watch the last playoffs? Lundqvist was brutal!
Yea he even lost his job permanently to his back up....... wait wrong guy.




Kidding, kidding seriously tho Lundy put up slightly better numbers in last years playoff than he did in the regular season which he won the Vesna for.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
  #332
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Except we know that all of the Leafs, Panthers, Oilers, and Blackhawks have expressed some form of interest. If they saw the contract as making him have negative value, why would they bother?
Can we really base much on media reports? I've barely heard anythuing about Chicago anyways.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:31 PM
  #333
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,407
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Yea he even lost his job permanently to his back up....... wait wrong guy.




Kidding, kidding seriously tho Lundy put up slightly better numbers in last years playoff than he did in the regular season which he won the Vesna for.
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/recor...e-leaders.html

3 spots below Lundqvist, one above Rinne. Terrible.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
  #334
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,407
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Can we really base much on media reports? I've barely heard anythuing about Chicago anyways.
Better than basing it on a Leafs fan who wants Luongo as cheaply as possible's opinion.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
  #335
CanuckLuck
Registered User
 
CanuckLuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Talk about missing the point...

This is about Luongo's contract and the fact goalies, even elite ones never fetch a huge return back. So bragging about your nice city has nothing to do with Luongo's situation.
I think you missed the point too.

When was the last time a goaltender of Luongo's caliber was on the trading block? It was Luongo, about 8 years ago right? So how would you or I know what Luongo's value is right now? it's impossible to even speculate and that is why we have very polarizing opinions on the matter in here.

CanuckLuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:34 PM
  #336
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/recor...e-leaders.html

3 spots below Lundqvist, one above Rinne. Terrible.
Look who's #3. Mr. Choke himself.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:35 PM
  #337
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Look who's #3. Mr. Choke himself.
The Toronto Maple Leafs' best friend when the playoffs rolled around.

Jerkini is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:36 PM
  #338
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,149
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Yea he even lost his job permanently to his back up....... wait wrong guy.




Kidding, kidding seriously tho Lundy put up slightly better numbers in last years playoff than he did in the regular season which he won the Vesna for.
I will take you seriously when you learn how to spell that award's name.

and who said he lost it permanently?

sully1410 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
  #339
PBPantherfan
Here we go again
 
PBPantherfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lake Worth, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Except we know that all of the Leafs, Panthers, Oilers, and Blackhawks have expressed some form of interest. If they saw the contract as making him have negative value, why would they bother?
They may not like the contract and due to that you don't give up a ton in a trade for a contract you don't like.

PBPantherfan is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
  #340
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/recor...e-leaders.html

3 spots below Lundqvist, one above Rinne. Terrible.
I have said Lu didnt deserve most of the crap he gets. Lundy Still has more value. He is younger and has a better contract.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
  #341
EvoLu7ioN
Registered User
 
EvoLu7ioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
They may not like the contract and due to that you don't give up a ton in a trade for a contract you don't like.
The fact that guys like Gardiner and Bjugstad are considered overpayment demonstrates that Luongo's trade value is already lower due to his contract. If he had a good contract you might add both of those together to arrive at the value of an elite goalie in his prime.

EvoLu7ioN is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
  #342
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
The fact that guys like Gardiner and Bjugstad are considered overpayment demonstrates that Luongo's trade value is already lower due to his contract. If he had a good contract you might add both of those together to arrive at the value of an elite goalie in his prime.
I think you would see a different list of team interested if he had a great contract.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
  #343
PBPantherfan
Here we go again
 
PBPantherfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lake Worth, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
The fact that guys like Gardiner and Bjugstad are considered overpayment demonstrates that Luongo's trade value is already lower due to his contract. If he had a good contract you might add both of those together to arrive at the value of an elite goalie in his prime.
When the Panthers don't have a bunch of centers laying around trading off your best center prospect for a position you don't need is overpayment. Especially when your best center is on the last year of his deal and you may not re-sign him.

PBPantherfan is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:45 PM
  #344
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
You can get suspended by the FLA organization for getting injured while participating in other activities? Jesus...Wonder what they felt about Booth's hunting habits
It was a necessary part of the lockout. Gudbranson is expected to be with the panthers for the foreseeable future.

Beezeral is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:45 PM
  #345
EvoLu7ioN
Registered User
 
EvoLu7ioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I think you would see a different list of team interested if he had a great contract.
Definitely. All I'm saying is that with a salary cap that will likely rise to 75-80M by the time he retires and this cap "penalty" actually kicks in, his contract is hurting his trade value more than it should. On these boards anyways...

EvoLu7ioN is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
  #346
EvoLu7ioN
Registered User
 
EvoLu7ioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
When the Panthers don't have a bunch of centers laying around trading off your best center prospect for a position you don't need is overpayment. Especially when your best center is on the last year of his deal and you may not re-sign him.
Huberdeau?

EvoLu7ioN is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 09:48 PM
  #347
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
Huberdeau?
Most expect him to be a LW

Beezeral is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 10:03 PM
  #348
Spectrefire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Most expect him to be a LW
Grimaldi?

Panthers have a ton of high-end center prospects.

Spectrefire is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
  #349
EvoLu7ioN
Registered User
 
EvoLu7ioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
When the Panthers don't have a bunch of centers laying around trading off your best center prospect for a position you don't need is overpayment. Especially when your best center is on the last year of his deal and you may not re-sign him.
And TBH man, I completely agree with you from a Panthers point of view. The only reason Florida is even in the conversation as a destination is because Luongo lives there.

To me, the best candidate would be a team looking to make a splash in the playoffs, who lacks high level goaltending required to get over that hump in the playoffs.

Look around the league, there aren't many teams fitting that description. So to me, that's why Gillis needs to wait until another team discovers their goalie isn't as good as they thought.

EvoLu7ioN is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
  #350
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,407
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
And TBH man, I completely agree with you from a Panthers point of view. The only reason Florida is even in the conversation as a destination is because Luongo lives there.

To me, the best candidate would be a team looking to make a splash in the playoffs, who lacks high level goaltending required to get over that hump in the playoffs.

Look around the league, there aren't many teams fitting that description. So to me, that's why Gillis needs to wait until another team discovers their goalie isn't as good as they thought.
This is true. I'm really annoyed Tampa got Lindback. They'd have been the ideal trading partner.

With MSL and Lecavalier not getting any younger, I'm surprised they went for an unproven guy like Lindback.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.