HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Again the hockey gods decided the Canucks should go into the playoffs in a brain fuzz, without their best winger, breaking up through injury what was going to be a solid 2nd line in Booth, Kesler, Higgins... AV was an idiot Injuries scare me more than anything, which is why depth on all 4 lines is going to be key.

Luongo on the bench, incase of an injury changes nothing... depth from a trade for Luongo allows the team to overcome a goaltending challenge. Luongo simply must be traded.
The team isn't better with Bozak and Kadri and a 2nd round pick than it would be with Luongo.

It's that simple for me, unless the deal really improves the club, it makes no sense to do it before a compressed season.

I'm done with this topic for now, I feel like I'm back in July.

*edit* agree with PG, if it's Weiss ++ yeah, but not Bozak and Kadri....there truly is NO incentive to make that deal from the Canucks POV, scraps are always available, top tier goalies aren't.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What Makes Frattin better?

It's truly a grass is greener belief for you here.
Frattin scored 36 goals in 44 games at North Dakota in '10-11. Since then he's scored at a 50 goal pace in the AHL - 33G/58GP.

Frattin's shot and nose for the net is what makes him better than Weise IMO.

I don't think it's a 'grass is greener' issue here. I just think you don't know enough about Matt Frattin. You said Weise is more productive...

Old
01-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Risk is the same, but I'd rather not take a risk and have both goalies than have scraps, is all.
So let's not talk about scraps cause there is no way GMMG trades Lu for scraps. He would've done it in July. He is going to make a trade that makes sense for the Canucks, not for the Leafs, and whoever gets him is going to have to give up something of value.

It simply comes back to this... Luongo indeed makes the Leafs, and Panthers better teams. He improves their chances, even if they lose some players, because he can make a bigger impact for those teams.

If you are Burke, you need to make the playoffs, you have no choice. Well I guess you do, miss the playoffs and get fired, or bite the bullet, and next year find improvements.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Frattin scored 36 goals in 44 games at North Dakota in '10-11. Since then he's scored at a 50 goal pace in the AHL - 33G/58GP.

Frattin's shot and nose for the net is what makes him better than Weise IMO.

I don't think it's a 'grass is greener' issue here. I just think you don't know enough about Matt Frattin. You said Weise is more productive...
If you count his Dutch league exploits, he is more productive.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
The team isn't better with Bozak and Kadri and a 2nd round pick than it would be with Luongo.

It's that simple for me, unless the deal really improves the club, it makes no sense to do it before a compressed season.

I'm done with this topic for now, I feel like I'm back in July.

*edit* agree with PG, if it's Weiss ++ yeah, but not Bozak and Kadri....there truly is NO incentive to make that deal from the Canucks POV, scraps are always available, top tier goalies aren't.
And I agree as well, Weiss makes most sense from Canucks perspective. Even if you let him walk in off season, for this season he is the best option and gives you some cap space as well if i'm not mistaken.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:49 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
So let's not talk about scraps cause there is no way GMMG trades Lu for scraps. He would've done it in July. He is going to make a trade that makes sense for the Canucks, not for the Leafs, and whoever gets him is going to have to give up something of value.

It simply comes back to this... Luongo indeed makes the Leafs, and Panthers better teams. He improves their chances, even if they lose some players, because he can make a bigger impact for those teams.

If you are Burke, you need to make the playoffs, you have no choice. Well I guess you do, miss the playoffs and get fired, or bite the bullet, and next year find improvements.
Agreed he won't trade Luongo for scraps. This is why I think Toronto will lose out on Luongo: nothing of value to offer, or won't give up anything of value. I still like Florida, and I bring up Weiss again. If the rumours about him are true, hopefully we can make a move and get him.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Canucker

Still not getting why Florida trades Weiss now instead of at the deadline. He's their #1 offensive center on a team with nobody to fill his shoes.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
That's an odd way to evaluate players. Quote their AHl numbers and give Weise credit for playing more games in the NHL with significantly less production...

Weise has 4G, 4A in 78 NHL games - Frattin had twice as many goals and assists in 20 less games.

Frattin also scored 24 goals in 36 AHL games in '11-12. Miles better than anything Weise has ever done as a pro.

I take Frattin over Weise without thinking twice. And I don't mind Weise as a 12-13 th forward project.

'Lateral at best' is a much tougher stance to defend...
I agree. What's intriguing about Frattin is his shot/release.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Still not getting why Florida trades Weiss now instead of at the deadline. He's their #1 offensive center on a team with nobody to fill his shoes.
They have some strong young players ready to play on ELC's and Luongo has 6 years of great hockey left in him.

If he has no plans to sign in FLA, you trade for Lu, and get your young guns going.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:55 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I agree it seems like more of a deadline deal to me, that's if Florida isn't in the playoff picture. They may want a C back, and all we really have to offer is Schroeder.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:56 PM
jammyrft

I hope we don't trade a star goalie for tweeners on a lottery team

Old
01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Canucker

Quote:
They have some strong young players ready to play on ELC's and Luongo has 6 years of great hockey left in him.

If he has no plans to sign in FLA, you trade for Lu, and get your young guns going.
Who is going to step right into a #1 center role? Not Bjugstad, he's staying in college. Nobody else they have is ready for a #1 center role.

The most prudent thing they could do is hang onto Weiss until they know where they sit in the playoff picture and then sell him at the deadline if they are on the outside looking in...nothing else makes sense.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Matt Frattin has 27 even strength goals in 58 AHL games. I wonder where that ranks him in even strength goals. That's absurd 5 on 5 finishing ability - let alone for someone with less than 60 games under their belt as a pro...

Old
01-08-2013, 09:58 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Agree with Arsemaster here as well about trade value.

Heard Tony Gallagher on 1040 today. He seems to think that the Weiss story may be planted by the Panthers through Doug Maclean and Keenan in order to get something out there.

And Bob Mac mentioned something along the lines of hearing Weiss' name being brought up as well. I'm sure the Panthers would need to add though

Old
01-08-2013, 10:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Frattin would make our 4th line IMO. Upgrade on Dale Weiss.

We're not a Schneider injury away from the draft lottery. Could potentially miss the playoffs though with a slew of injuries to our top players. Like every other team in the league...
You realize missing the playoffs puts us in the draft lottery, right? So yes, we are likely a Schneider injury away from the draft lottery if we do that trade.

Oh great, you suggest we trade Luongo for an upgrade to our 4th line now???

01-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
You realize missing the playoffs puts us in the draft lottery, right? So yes, we are likely a Schneider injury away from the draft lottery if we do that trade.

Who do you trade Luongo for?

Old
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
ZenMaster*

Frattin + Bozak?

That trade isn't bad at all, we essentially upgraded the bottom six for a redundant asset. People are really underrating Matt Frattin here, he's built a like a tank, hustles every shift, and produces.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Frattin + Bozak?

That trade isn't bad at all, we essentially upgraded the bottom six for a redundant asset. People are really underrating Matt Frattin here, he's built a like a tank, hustles every shift, and produces.
By suggesting that trade you are seriously underrating Luongo. No thanks.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Who do you trade Luongo for?
Someone who's better than a crap third line center and a 4th line upgrade?

I'd target Weiss from Florida. From Toronto I'd ask for Lupul, Biggs, and a 1st round pick. Or Gardiner and a 1st round pick.

And no, that's not overvaluing Luongo, that's simply me refusing to undervalue a top 5 goalie!

Old
01-08-2013, 10:13 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Agree with Arsemaster here as well about trade value.

Heard Tony Gallagher on 1040 today. He seems to think that the Weiss story may be planted by the Panthers through Doug Maclean and Keenan in order to get something out there.

And Bob Mac mentioned something along the lines of hearing Weiss' name being brought up as well. I'm sure the Panthers would need to add though
Where do you guys always find the 'e' after 'ars'....on another note, Florida would most certainly have to add.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:13 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Frattin + Bozak?

It's pretty bad. At no point does a goalie of Luongo's calibre equal Bozak, and Frattin. Sure, Frattin may not be bad, but he's not going to be a top six player on the Canucks in the future, I can tell you that. Bozak is just ugh.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Yet you want to trade our elite, top 5 goalie for MPS.

Yeah, let's trade our superstar goalie for a guy with 4 goals in 35 AHL games.

You're fired. And I curse you to go 50 years between erections!

Old
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Where do you guys always find the 'e' after 'ars'....on another note, Florida would most certainly have to add.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:17 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
To be fair I always thought that's sorta what you were going for too lol.

Weiss, Petrovic and a 1 for Luongo and Raymond works for me.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Someone who's better than a crap third line center and a 4th line upgrade?

I'd target Weiss from Florida. From Toronto I'd ask for Lupul, Biggs, and a 1st round pick. Or Gardiner and a 1st round pick.

And no, that's not overvaluing Luongo, that's simply me refusing to undervalue a top 5 goalie!
I agree with this, and I think that is what the Canucks will get. But not Gardiner cause of the Concussion. But I do think what you proposed will be what you get for Luongo.

Closed Thread