2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Luvtowatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick97 View Post
Does anyone know the criteria for how the "top" 40 was selected?
Supposedly by OHL rankings.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
HatTrick97

You mean by how the OHL scouts have the kids ranked?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick97 View Post
You mean by how the OHL scouts have the kids ranked?
Yes.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:01 PM
mapleleaf979

Sean Day article:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Old
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Absolutely! Lot's will change by draft day. To me the only sure thing is Dylan Strome will be the first player taken from the GTHL, only because he is the best player.
I agree with you. He should be. Do u think Stephens has peaked? Has he been given a promise already? And is somewhat relaxed. Very interesting situation. Do teams worry that he isnt finishing plays like in the past, he gives himself a chance but cant seal the deal? Will his sports car kick make teams jump at the chance or will they worry about his passion and compete level. I expected Stephens to be ripping the GTHL apart this year, its not happening. Very interesting.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:52 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I agree with you. He should be. Do u think Stephens has peaked? Has he been given a promise already? And is somewhat relaxed. Very interesting situation. Do teams worry that he isnt finishing plays like in the past, he gives himself a chance but cant seal the deal? Will his sports car kick make teams jump at the chance or will they worry about his passion and compete level. I expected Stephens to be ripping the GTHL apart this year, its not happening. Very interesting.
Wouldn't say any 15 yr old has peaked. But it will be interesting watching how this plays out. There are a few kids in the age group that have been at the top for many years and Stephens has always been there. Scouts look at potential and coaching. He still has all the tools to make him a top draft pick but he may be the type of player that needs a kick in the ass ? But i will say no player in the league has a better 3 steps.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
wingman22

Top Ontario Fwds in the draft in my opinion. Crouse, Konecney, Strome, Mackenzie and Stephens.
It will come down to which US kids enter and whether they will allow the Russians into the draft.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Wouldn't say any 15 yr old has peaked. But it will be interesting watching how this plays out. There are a few kids in the age group that have been at the top for many years and Stephens has always been there. Scouts look at potential and coaching. He still has all the tools to make him a top draft pick but he may be the type of player that needs a kick in the ass ? But i will say no player in the league has a better 3 steps.
There are 2 things that I think are hardest to change in a player (1) Trying to become an elite skater. U either are born with Mcdavid's feet or not. U cant have slow/heavy feet and expect to work hard and get elite feet, a player can improve it but never become elite. (2) Compete level. U either are born competitive and hate losing or your not. U can never teach a kid to hate to lose. Hating to lose and being competitive is one of the key factors in a motivated player.

*If u have questions about a players compete level now, do u want to deal with that for 2-4 years? It can become very, very frustrating. Its like looking at a Big Florida Orange and squeezing it and getting 2 drops of juice. Id rather have a player with less skill who over-achieves and gives it everything. That inspires teams. Low compete levels from talented players creates a not so good team atmosphere.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Absolutely! Lot's will change by draft day. To me the only sure thing is Dylan Strome will be the first player taken from the GTHL, only because he is the best player.
May be the first GTHL player drafted, especially if Korostolev isnt eligible. Given that, he may still go in the 8-10th spot, especailly if all the US kids report.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
May be the first GTHL player drafted, especially if Korostolev isnt eligible. Given that, he may still go in the 8-10th spot, especailly if all the US kids report.
JRC will probably get a wildcard spot for the OHL cup. Alot of OHL teams will want to look at JRC again. Korostelev has lots of potential. Korostelev is a throw-back, he truely loves to shoot the puck and adds a physical dimension to his game. He is quite mature physically already at 15, with the frame to support another 15-20 pounds. He is One-dimensional and that dimension is pretty darn good. I think he could get 25-30 goals in his rookie year in the OHL, but at the same time, his plus minus rating could be a -20. I think he needs to be insulated with 2 defensive linemates and keep working on his defensive game. Dylan Strome Id rather have, Strome is probably the smartest player Ive seen this year. Only one negative, heavy feet, I think he can slightly improve this. His heavy feet are rarely a factor because his excellent instinct and positioning put him right where the puck is. STrome is quite wiry at this point, a weight gain will further his development.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Rangers99Fan99
Rookie User

Can somebody help me out and list what you think are the best features for these Thunder Bay Kings prospects. Also predicted round in draft

#7 Grzelewski F-

#16 McKay F-

#4 Thrower F-

#10 Kitt F-

#3 Behse D-

#17 Stewart D-

Who else do you like?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
KillerHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers99Fan99 View Post
Can somebody help me out and list what you think are the best features for these Thunder Bay Kings prospects. Also predicted round in draft

#7 Grzelewski F-

#16 McKay F-

#4 Thrower F-

#10 Kitt F-

#3 Behse D-

#17 Stewart D-

Who else do you like?

Here it is again,

Here is my thoughts on the Thunder Bay Kings after watching them at the Marlies and asking around.

They went two for two and only scoring a total of five goals and not making the final four wasn't a

good showing after winning the Brantford tournament.

#7 Grzelewski - BEST PLAYER on the team works hard at both ends of the ice every shift. Draft 2-5 round

#16 McKay - He is big but doesn't play that way. Has a hard time in the corners and on the wall looses a lot of battles. Draft 7-10 round

#4 Thrower - Good size and handles the puck and see the ice well. Draft 7-10th round

#14 McKitrick - Small but has great speed and is shifty and smart with the puck Draft 10-15 round because of size.

#9 Hamlin - Very good skater has good hands and smart with the puck and physical Draft 7-10

#20 Minoletti - Small but a very good skater works hard both ends of the ice and is physical for size. Draft 10-15

#3 Behse - Big very good skater has a good shot and moves the puck ok needs work that part of his game. Draft 7-10 round

#17 Stewart - The word out there is Stewart is there best defencemen. He's big, strong and smart with the puck and skater really well for his size. Draft 3-5 round

#10 Kitt - Big skates and handles the puck well. Draft 7-10 round

Those are the guys I notice and been hearing about.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
I don't think he has peaked. When he plays the team game he is so good, when he doesn't its Ho-Sang to a lesser degree with less flair. I believe Mitch will be a very good player at the next level, I think he will be able to fit in with older players and contribute right away.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
wingman22

Agree, maybe it is boredom ? But he does need to pick up his sense urgency.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
mapleleaf979

Hockeynut2 and Rangers99Fan99 are the SAME PERSON. He is now conversing with himself so that he can talk about his Thunder Bay team again. This is very obvious. I hope this does not continue until April. 6 posts and u only mention one team and the same 4 players, now uve addressed the whole team, All your posts are basically identical, now the duplicate posts have started.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 01-08-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 12:07 PM
KillerHockey

Quote:
Hockeynut2 and Rangers99Fan99 are the SAME PERSON. He is now conversing with himself so that he can talk about his Thunder Bay team again. This is very obvious. I hope this does not continue until April. 6 posts and u only mention one team, U ask where they are ranked and than a week later u rank them all yourself and the rounds they will go in? LOL.
I assure you Mapleleaf979 I am not the same as Rangers99fan99 he asked and I told him what I thought.. I have no need to do **** like that..

Old
01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocketnut2 View Post
I assure you Mapleleaf979 I am not the same as Rangers99fan99 he asked and I told him what I thought.. I have no need to do **** like that..
All anyone has to do is look at your post history. Its obvious what your doing. Very obvious. This doesnt help any player. U were called out on it a few pages back, I stood up for u and thought the stock rising comment was pre-mature. But it appears that poster was bang on.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 01-08-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
KillerHockey

Quote:
All anyone has to do is look at your post history. Its obvious what your doing. Very obvious. This doesnt help any player. U were called out on it a few pages back, I stood up for u and thought the stock rising comment was pre-mature. But it appears that poster was bang on.
I have help those boys out along the way in there career that is why I gave my opinion of those seven boys because that's what I liked from that team..............

I don't live in Toronto and dont see to many other teams or games to comment about Southern Ontario teams.

Once again I am not Ranger99fan99

Last edited by KillerHockey: 01-08-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Even with the Americans coming, can't see 8-10. If so, somebody is stealing. I haven't seen too many 15 yr olds over the years that can make their linemates look as good as this kid does. Strome is a franchise player just like his brother who bad GM's let go to #8.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:04 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Even with the Americans coming, can't see 8-10. If so, somebody is stealing. I haven't seen too many 15 yr olds over the years that can make their linemates look as good as this kid does. Strome is a franchise player just like his brother who bad GM's let go to #8.
If Strome goes 8-10, the GM should be fired.

Saw the Prospects game, and he didnt wake up until the end of the 2nd period. He should have not played, as it was clear that he was exposed. Nice hands, but unfortunately working from the half wall in, and on the PP, isnt going to do it at the next level. He was 3rd best player on his line tonight- Mucci and Carbonara played better. His skating is below average for a playmaker.

I have nothing against the kid, but I cant see what everybody is fussing about. First two periods, I think he touched the puck 3 times.

Today's game was a disaster. Nobody excelled . Chippy, sloppy hockey. Most of the first 2 rounds of selections will come from the US kids, or OMHA or Alliance, and definitely not from the GTHL.

Only kid on the ice that showed signs of being able to play in the O was the Russian- Korostelev.

Stephens made one dangle, but that was it, he was invisible.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:08 PM
mapleleaf979

Its a glorified Shinny game Chew. Dont put too much stock into it. The Prospects game last year was dull and boring.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:19 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Its a glorified Shinny game Chew. Dont put too much stock into it. The Prospects game last year was dull and boring.
Disagree that its a glorified shinny game. Last year the stars shined. This year nobody shined. It is clear that this year's group is nothing close to last year's crop but tonight was bad.

Great players come to play against the best, and tonight nobody stood out , except for a few players.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:42 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Disagree that its a glorified shinny game. Last year the stars shined. This year nobody shined. It is clear that this year's group is nothing close to last year's crop but tonight was bad.

Great players come to play against the best, and tonight nobody stood out , except for a few players.
Found Korostelv stood out with his hands alone, and creating chances. Stephens too showed his high skill, and his sick hands. But agree, no one stood out a lot tonight.

On a more or leas unrelated note, got a laugh when the player hit the light. Who was that by the way? Didn't see from where I was sitting.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:04 PM
ontohockey

No doubt Korostelev is an awesome player. However, his line got scored both goals.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:52 PM
KillerHockey

Hey Ontohockey,

I watched Korostelv in the Marlies tournament I was impressed with his sick hand he had three point I believe in one period but the biggest thing I notice about him was he needs to work on his skating I thought he was slow and clunky of a skater and maybe just because he hasn't grown into to his feet yet because he is a man in a boys body.

Closed Thread