HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bobby Ryan to Toronto

Old
01-08-2013, 10:21 PM
DisneyDucky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Ok. Your really duplicating your Marvin the Martian Avatar there.

Regardless, my point is this. You make a big trade for Yak now, and it helps the rebuilding process. the team is eventually going to be there, its going to happen. I'm really not sure who Anaheim has down the pipe for prospects...but you only have a limited amount of time for your current core to compete. By the time your prospects are the stars that your management hopes they be, Ryan could be 27, 28 or so...much closer to the end of his prime years. This move that I've suggested helps kick start that rebuilding process and gives you a NHL ready prospect.

Its fine if you don't like it or don't agree with it, thats just the way I see it.
A 28 old year Ryan yea **** that, thats when forwards decline big time. Iginla is like a 4th-liner nowadays.......

DisneyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ok. Your really duplicating your Marvin the Martian Avatar there.

Regardless, my point is this. You make a big trade for Yak now, and it helps the rebuilding process. the team is eventually going to be there, its going to happen. I'm really not sure who Anaheim has down the pipe for prospects...but you only have a limited amount of time for your current core to compete. By the time your prospects are the stars that your management hopes they be, Ryan could be 27, 28 or so...much closer to the end of his prime years. This move that I've suggested helps kick start that rebuilding process and gives you a NHL ready prospect.

Its fine if you don't like it or don't agree with it, thats just the way I see it.
And my point is that your deal makes no sense for Anaheim. Anaheim has no intention of rebuilding, and strictly speaking, they really can't afford to. They have a well-stocked cupboard, with some good young talent on their way up. On top of that, they already have a pretty good core, with players who are still young. Adding Yakupov at the expense of Ryan sets them back, it doesn't move them forward. Yes, Yakupov might more sense for the long-term, but it definitely does not for the short-term, and a good GM needs to think in both the long and short-term(not to mention I see no reason why Edmonton would do the deal either).

Your entire plan is based on some mistaken impression you have that Anaheim is some old and withered team with no future. Pass.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
considering he projects to be like a 50g winger...

I bet you would have passed on Crosby too when he hadn't proved anything.

Bobby Ryan is the boat.

Nail Yakupov is the mystery box.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDucky View Post
A 28 old year Ryan yea **** that, thats when forwards decline big time. Iginla is like a 4th-liner nowadays.......
Obviously there are exceptions, but peak age for NHL players is like 25 with pretty linear decline after that. You should always project decline when making transactions.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:32 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Yeah, our cupboard is empty...
I'm not saying that it is. But this trade gives that core another great player. I mean its not rocket science here.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I'm not saying that it is. But this trade gives that core another great player. I mean its not rocket science here.
At the expense of a great player...

Old
01-08-2013, 10:34 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Please tell me that you understand that there is quite a large talent difference between Iginla and Ryan? You do see that right?

Old
Selanne138

Quote:
Its subtracting a core player for someone who could become a core player. How does that make sense?

Old
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Obviously there are exceptions, but peak age for NHL players is like 25 with pretty linear decline after that. You should always project decline when making transactions.
In spite of that, we don't see teams desperately shipping off their players when they turn 28. Veterans contribute to Stanley Cup wins, too.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:36 PM
inthewings

Quote:
In spite of that, we don't see teams desperately shipping off their players when they turn 28. Veterans contribute to Stanley Cup wins, too.
Of course.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I know, right? It's a wonder how 30 year olds keep playing, considering how they're obviously all used up by then.

Old
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
What would be the point of Toronto acquiring him? They would have to pay a ridiculous price for someone who would be on their 2nd line.
Wait a minute...you're telling me that the Maple Leafs have a legitimate first line...?

More like Bobby Ryan PLAYS in the Leafs top line.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:43 PM
DisneyDucky

Quote:
Please tell me that you understand that there is quite a large talent difference between Iginla and Ryan? You do see that right?
Thats not even the point I... It was a matter of age, I could have said Selänne instead or some other old dude...sigh...

Old
01-08-2013, 10:43 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
At the expense of a great player...
I do get that you don't agree, but the idea onto itself has merit.
I'm not saying that anaheim is withered and old, but at the same time the likely hood that they will win another cup with Getzlaf and Perry is highly unlikely. That is the eventual goal here. To win the Stanley Cup.

Your not going to see this from my perspective(albeit an outsider), so I suppose we'll just agree to disagree.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:45 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Thats not even the point I... It was a matter of age, I could have said Selänne instead or some other old dude...sigh...
Both players that you have mentioned, are way beyond Ryan in talent level right? More talented players tend to stay on top longer and have more longevity to their careers.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I like how if Iginla was about to start the fifth season of his career you'd be making the same terrible argument to Flames fans as you are here.

"How could you guys not trade him for Patrick Stefan?"

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:53 PM
DisneyDucky

Quote:
Both players that you have mentioned, are way beyond Ryan in talent level right? More talented players tend to stay on top longer and have more longevity to their careers.
You just dont want to listen do you...

It has been pointed out that yaks-Ryan trade is stupid and the ducks(and probably oilers) dont want anything to do with it. The end.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:54 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I know, right? It's a wonder how 30 year olds keep playing, considering how they're obviously all used up by then.

If your current core is not going to get it done, its time to make the necessary moves to find a core that will. If you look at alot of the past stanley cup winners, this is exactly the route that they have gone.

LA drafted Quick, Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Jack Johnson and Schenn...four of those players became the core that won that team the cup. JJ and Schenn were shipped off for other players to round it all out. They had a few prospects that played their way onto the team, but every other player was acquired to best compliment those four players. Including guys like Willie Mitchell, Rob Scuderi, Richards, Carter and Gagne. That core...is very young. Obviously vets win the cup, but they are brought in to compliment a young core.

Chicago drafted both Toews and Kane and acquired either through FA, Draft or trade. After that, alot of the players that were instrumental in the cup win were traded away like Ladd, Buff, Versteeg, Niemi...you get the picture.

Same thing with Pittsburgh.

The only real exceptions were Boston and Detroit.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:54 PM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Yakupov with his 3yr ELC is easily more valuable than Ryan.
Proven vs. unproven is a no contest for Ryan

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:56 PM
sully1410

Quote:
I like how if Iginla was about to start the fifth season of his career you'd be making the same terrible argument to Flames fans as you are here.

Well...yea...because Iggy is ALOT better then Ryan is.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I do get that you don't agree, but the idea onto itself has merit.
I'm not saying that anaheim is withered and old, but at the same time the likely hood that they will win another cup with Getzlaf and Perry is highly unlikely. That is the eventual goal here. To win the Stanley Cup.

Your not going to see this from my perspective(albeit an outsider), so I suppose we'll just agree to disagree.
Wow. So, what? Perry and Getzlaf are done? Time to move on? Yeah, I think I'll agree to disagree with your perspective, because it flies in the face of reality.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

If your current core is not going to get it done, its time to make the necessary moves to find a core that will. If you look at alot of the past stanley cup winners, this is exactly the route that they have gone.

LA drafted Quick, Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Jack Johnson and Schenn...four of those players became the core that won that team the cup. JJ and Schenn were shipped off for other players to round it all out. They had a few prospects that played their way onto the team, but every other player was acquired to best compliment those four players. Including guys like Willie Mitchell, Rob Scuderi, Richards, Carter and Gagne. That core...is very young. Obviously vets win the cup, but they are brought in to compliment a young core.

Chicago drafted both Toews and Kane and acquired either through FA, Draft or trade. After that, alot of the players that were instrumental in the cup win were traded away like Ladd, Buff, Versteeg, Niemi...you get the picture.

And Anaheim before them?... which suggests, to me, that they aren't actually exceptions, but different ways of going about accomplishing the same goal. You seem to have some mental picture in your head that there is only one way to build a Cup team. False.

Edit: Unless you're just saying that, after you win a Cup, it's time to start over... which is laughable. This isn't a video game.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:00 PM
DisneyDucky

Quote:

Please stop. Your knowledge of the Ducks seem to be very limited.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Selanne138

Quote:

And Bobby Ryan has 30 more goals than Iginla did entering his 5th season in the league. But he should only go downhill from here, clearly Iginla did.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:04 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

The only good thing about the lockout was the terrible Bobby Ryan trade proposals involving the leafs.

these quantity for quality trades never address our problems.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote