HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edmonton + Pittsburgh

Old
01-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Eskimo44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
But for the record, as much as I like Eberle, any move that would leave Paul ****ing Martin as our #1 would be a terrible, terrible mistake. Eberle couldn't score enough goals to make up for it. Hell, Gretzky probably couldn't score enough goals to make up for it.
Oh yeah there is no way the Pens should make that deal. BTW Gretzky could AINEC, don't kid yourself.

Last edited by Eskimo44: 01-09-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
These "top __" lists are always subjective, but he's the only active defenseman other than Chara and Weber to finish top 10 in Norris voting the last 2 seasons. I think that's as good and reliable an objective source as we're going to get on the subject.
I don't know about you but when it comes to the awards here out west we tend to find they have a heavy east coast bias. Hockey writers are just fans like us, and like us they are subjective and have bias. It's tough when a clear majority of the writers who vote on the awards live out east. I'm scpetical as to how many really stay up late to watch a reasonable amount of games as opposed to just going by hearsay and their limited viewings. In saying that it's not a bad source to quote and a reasonable poece of evidence to bring into the discussion. You are certainly correct in stating it's awfully hard to slot guys into a ranking. I just think there are better two way dman than Letang. Pie, Weber, Suter, Keith, Karlsson, Doughty, etc... bring a more complete game (not to say Letang is poor defensively).

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:47 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I don't know about you but when it comes to the awards here out west we tend to find they have a heavy east coast bias. Hockey writers are just fans like us, and like us they are subjective and have bias. It's tough when a clear majority of the writers who vote on the awards live out east. I'm scpetical as to how many really stay up late to watch a reasonable amount of games as opposed to just going by hearsay and their limited viewings. In saying that it's not a bad source to quote and a reasonable poece of evidence to bring into the discussion. You are certainly correct in stating it's awfully hard to slot guys into a ranking. I just think there are better two way dman than Letang. Pie, Weber, Suter, Keith, Karlsson, Doughty, etc... bring a more complete game (not to say Letang is poor defensively).
Not to bring up this again, but Letang is leaps and bounds ahead of Karlsson defensively and I'd put him ahead of Keith, who struggled last year.

Letang is a top 10 D, all day everyday. Very solid defensively. There is zero chance of him being moved, especially for just Eberle, whose value is not nearly Letang's.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
BigBenSF*

This year will be the year that Letang is most untouchable to the Pens. Our defense is sketchy at best, and Letang gives us an elite or near-elite defenseman that we can build around for the time being. Losing Letang this year would make our defense look like this:

Martin - Niskanen
Orpik - Despres
Engelland - Lovejoy

bleh city

Trading Letang for Eberle+ would give us an amazing young winger, but we would get scored on about 6 times a game. In 3+ years our prospects will be NHL ready and Letang will become much more expendable (as long as he resigns).

I would love Paajarvi but the asking price is high and I wouldn't want to give up one of our top 6 defense prospects. Maybe something around Strait+.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:05 AM
zeus3007*

Woah, woah, woah. Letang for Eberle+? After the season Eberle had last year, there is essentially no player in the world where a + would need to be included on Edmonton's behalf, and only two of them are Penguins. I'll let you figure out for yourselves that Letang isn't one of them.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:10 AM
BigBenSF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Woah, woah, woah. Letang for Eberle+? After the season Eberle had last year, there is essentially no player in the world where a + would need to be included on Edmonton's behalf, and only two of them are Penguins. I'll let you figure out for yourselves that Letang isn't one of them.
Not a major plus. Also, as much as EDM fans may deny it, Letang is in the discussion of top 5 defenseman in the NHL and Eberle is nowhere close to being a top 5 forward. Letang has more value than Eberle, simple as that.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:14 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Not a major plus. Also, as much as EDM fans may deny it, Letang is in the discussion of top 5 defenseman in the NHL and Eberle is nowhere close to being a top 5 forward. Letang has more value than Eberle, simple as that.
I'll put it this way. If Pittsburgh calls and offers Letang for Eberle, they hang up the phone without Eberle. Simple as that. Letang as a top 5 defenseman is a stretch. Eberle as a top 5 in his position (rw) is just as valid.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:26 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
I'll put it this way. If Pittsburgh calls and offers Letang for Eberle, they hang up the phone without Eberle. Simple as that. Letang as a top 5 defenseman is a stretch. Eberle as a top 5 in his position (rw) is just as valid.
You're crazy if you think, not only that the Pens would be insane enough to offer Letang for anything that's not another top 10 D coming back, but that they would offer Letang for just Eberle. Crazy.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:26 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
When I read this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Not to bring up this again, but Letang is leaps and bounds ahead of Karlsson defensively and I'd put him ahead of Keith, who struggled last year.

Letang is a top 10 D, all day everyday. Very solid defensively. There is zero chance of him being moved, especially for just Eberle, whose value is not nearly Letang's.
... I thought this exactly.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:31 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
This year will be the year that Letang is most untouchable to the Pens. Our defense is sketchy at best, and Letang gives us an elite or near-elite defenseman that we can build around for the time being. Losing Letang this year would make our defense look like this:

Martin - Niskanen
Orpik - Despres
Engelland - Lovejoy

bleh city

Trading Letang for Eberle+ would give us an amazing young winger, but we would get scored on about 6 times a game. In 3+ years our prospects will be NHL ready and Letang will become much more expendable (as long as he resigns).

I would love Paajarvi but the asking price is high and I wouldn't want to give up one of our top 6 defense prospects. Maybe something around Strait+.
As an impartial outsider, I'd say Letang is EASILY an elite defender. The only one's I'd take before him, given circumstances of age, skill, potential, etc. I'd put him behind (in no particular order): Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Doughty and MAYBE OEL (only because of potential, Letang is better now). All others are either too old, too unproven, etc.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Black Label

Quote:
Even if you want to say that Eberle is a top 5 RW and Letang is a top 5 Defenseman, defenseman almost always hold more value than wingers.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Human
cynic

lol @ delusional Oilers fans thinking Eberle is worth Letang... just ridiculous.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote