HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Senators Training Camp (26 Players, 3goalies))

Old
01-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
It's not pressure i'm talking about it. It's more getting a player to work hard at every level for the rewards. Doesn't hurt to start witlh that lesson.
Doesn't seem to me that Silfverberg needs that lesson, and if he does, he'll get it in no short order from MacLean.

To me, the bigger issue is finding chemistry with Spezza, as he is not an easy player to play with given he does a lot of unconventional things. Alfie and Heatley figured it out. Michalek, to a degree has. Silfverberg has a high hockey IQ, but not certain whether he will mesh with Spezza yet. Worth a 5 game look though, given the potential.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Canuckman44

Quote:
I think boro is as ready or close as he'll ever be and i think he's capable. Probably more nhl confident than gryba. I'd have to see both in a senators game, but i'd be leaning quite a bit to boro now.
I guess the one NHL game would do that(LOL). Boro hasn't outplayed him this year. They were both down with injuries for an extended period. Gryba broke his hand in a fight and Boro got an above the shoulders injury in a fight as well. Gryba has more points in fewer games(not their forte anyways) and a slightly higher +-. He is a very rounded defensive player as is Boro. My guess is Boro and Wiercioch invited to the camp and Gryba(who gets no pumping) will not. Boro has had an average season, solid defensively, but has done nothing on the PP when he has had the chance(second pairing). They are both solid PK players which is why the team is nearly the best in the league. The fact that the Sens like Ottawa boys is the determining factor.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Canuckman44

That being said I would like to see what Dziurzynski could do at camp. Not sure he will get invited but he has worked his BUTT OFF this year. I know Decosta will get the chance based on pure skill but DD should get a look. I think DD has a better long term NHL future as a grinder type player. Then again I like physical two way players.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
As for the D, if we're willing to pay up there are spare NHL defencemen on teams like San José and NHL-ready prospects in bunches in Phoenix (seriously, their AHL blueline looks as good as our NHL one). Just spitballing here, but I really, really think we need a defenceman or three.
You don't think at least one of Wiercioch, Borowiecki, Benoit, Eckford or even Gryba could be at least a serviceable 6th/7th in the NHL?

Quote:
I don't like that. In fact because of our history with first line jokes i almost hate it. Don't put a rookie on the top line to start. Give him something to work up to and less chance for failure. Ideally i'd put silfv on a third line to start or at least in this case the second line. Let him work on the little things and improve gradually. Am i saying he's not a top 6 player? No. Just do everything you can to help him.
And maybe it will work out this way. I am never a fan of throwing a rookie on the top line. Goes for crosby, ovechkin, yakupov. Unless you have NO one. I'd start with regin or greening and let silfv take it from them. Shortened season? Less time? Irrelevant in my opinion.
Seriously, Latendresse would be the perfect compliment to Spezza-Michalek... He goes hard to the net and scores goals from everywhere around the net, he's excellent to bang in rebounds too. Skill and Size line

Silfverberg would fit so well with Turris and Alfredsson, he would benefit of playing with Alfie. High end hockey IQ and 2-way line.

No need to start Silfverberg on the 3rd line... remember we had guys like Greening, Condra, Butler, Daugavins and even Kilinkhammer in the top-6 last year and we were a playoff team. Stop thinking "conventional stacked team lines"

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:03 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
You don't think at least one of Wiercioch, Borowiecki, Benoit, Eckford or even Gryba could be at least a serviceable 6th/7th in the NHL?
At 6/7, sure, but I'm not very confident that two out of Methot/Phillips/Wier/Benoit/Boro can be top-4 on a team that's going places.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:

No need to start Silfverberg on the 3rd line... remember we had guys like Greening, Condra, Butler, Daugavins and even Kilinkhammer in the top-6 last year and we were a playoff team. Stop thinking "conventional stacked team lines"
I meant in an ideal situation not in this one. But actually for silfv i think 2nd is best. I agree i really want to see latendresse with spezza. But we haven't started any games yet. No one's getting upset yet. We'll see what happens. I just don't like seeing rookies given top line duties ahead of proven 20-30 goal scorers. Nothing should be given.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
That being said I would like to see what Dziurzynski could do at camp. Not sure he will get invited but he has worked his BUTT OFF this year. I know Decosta will get the chance based on pure skill but DD should get a look. I think DD has a better long term NHL future as a grinder type player. Then again I like physical two way players.
He should, but at this point we have way too many bottom six players. Guys lie Condra, Daugavins and Regin should all be gone next season seeing as their contracts are up.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Quote:
At 6/7, sure, but I'm not very confident that two out of Methot/Phillips/Wier/Benoit/Boro can be top-4 on a team that's going places.
Methot better impress. This guy just got one of the best jobs in hockey. Left Columbus and came home to be paired with the Norris trophy winner. I'm confident that he'll preform well, because this is his big chance.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
IMO, we only need to replace Cowen spot

Karlsson
Gonchar
(Cowen) ---> ???
Methot
Phillips
(Lundin) ---> Wiercioch/Benoit/Eckford
Borowiecki/Gryba

Methot and Phillips at 4th and 5th are perfectly fine

Quote:
I meant in an ideal situation not in this one. But actually for silfv i think 2nd is best. I agree i really want to see latendresse with spezza. But we haven't started any games yet. No one's getting upset yet. We'll see what happens. I just don't like seeing rookies given top line duties ahead of proven 20-30 goal scorers. Nothing should be given.
Ya, having Silfverberg on the top line right away seems a bit too fast, but heck what do I know?

Old
01-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Seriously, Latendresse would be the perfect compliment to Spezza-Michalek... He goes hard to the net and scores goals from everywhere around the net, he's excellent to bang in rebounds too. Skill and Size line

Silfverberg would fit so well with Turris and Alfredsson, he would benefit of playing with Alfie. High end hockey IQ and 2-way line.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having Latendresse on the first line with Spezza and Michalek. Quite honestly, Latendresse has been an afterthought to me up until very recently. I did a little digging around and now I feel a lot more confident that we might have a real diamond in the rough on our hands.

While we still have Alfie on the second line, I think having Silfverberg there is a great idea.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquanch View Post
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having Latendresse on the first line with Spezza and Michalek. Quite honestly, Latendresse has been an afterthought to me up until very recently. I did a little digging around and now I feel a lot more confident that we might have a real diamond in the rough on our hands.

While we still have Alfie on the second line, I think having Silfverberg there is a great idea.
You see under my avatar that I live in Montreal? Well, I have witnessed first hand how much hopes the Habs fans had on Guillaume Latendresse, he was like their next "Guy Lafleur"... Tenderness has the potential to be a difference maker, that's why you put him on Spezza's line and give him a real chance to succeed, the guy could score at a 30 goals pace easily. We could basically have two 30 goals scorers playing with Spezza

Latendresse never really had a chance to prove himself, except that 1 season in Minny, before he got injured

Old
01-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

Silfverberg will definitely stick in the top 6 I believe. He will be given every chance necessary to succeed.

What about Stone? Does he have a shot at making the team? Perhaps challenging Daugavins or o'brien?

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:31 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Silfverberg View Post
Silfverberg will definitely stick in the top 6 I believe. He will be given every chance necessary to succeed.

What about Stone? Does he have a shot at making the team? Perhaps challenging Daugavins or o'brien?
nah, he only comes up if there are injuries. daug and o'brien are above average pk's. they server an important purpose. stone hasn't been that impressive in the ahl. with silf leaving, i think he'll get a top 6 role now. if he succeeds in that, then i'll believe he'll be up in the big show.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Silfverberg View Post

I imagine they give stone a while to develop into a scorer at the ahl level before thinking about bringing him up. Unless he blows em away at camp, shift isn't expected of him. He'll have a successful training camp if he doesn't look out of place.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:30 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

My guess is that Stone will eventually replace Condra as the 3rd line RW, if not at some point this season than certainly next season.

I think Latendresse will be hard pressed to stay on the 2nd line, IMO Greening could push him down. He is injury prone & his best season he only had 40 pts, Greening had 37 in his rookie season. Same could apply to Regin unless he can stay healthy for a change, IMO Grant will be this team's 3rd line centre eventually.

If Murray signs a UFA defenceman like Foster than he could pair him with Benoit on the bottom pairing but if he sticks with his prospects I could see Boroweicki & Benoit playing.

The Sens need to consider Neil's future replacement, I like Tom Wilson & would like to see Filatov plus traded for him.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:36 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
My guess is that Stone will eventually replace Condra as the 3rd line RW, if not at some point this season than certainly next season.

I think Latendresse will be hard pressed to stay on the 2nd line, IMO Greening could push him down. He is injury prone & his best season he only had 40 pts, Greening had 37 in his rookie season. Same could apply to Regin unless he can stay healthy for a change, IMO Grant will be this team's 3rd line centre eventually.

If Murray signs a UFA defenceman like Foster than he could pair him with Benoit on the bottom pairing but if he sticks with his prospects I could see Boroweicki & Benoit playing.

The Sens need to consider Neil's future replacement, I like Tom Wilson & would like to see Filatov plus traded for him.
David Dziuzynski

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Nestea

I'd like to see

Latendresse - Spezza - Silfverberg
Michalek - Turris - Alfredsson
Regin - Smith - Neil
Greening - O'Brien - Condra
Daugavins

Nestea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:06 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
David Dziuzynski
I love DDs game as well & have pencilled him into the lineup maybe as soon as next season on LW. A 4th line of DD - Smith - Wilson would be a tough line to play against. I also like what I'm seeing from Grant & think he has potential as Ottawa's 3rd line centre maybe even next season too, you see him a lot, what do you think? A 3rd line of Greening - Grant - Stone would also be tough to play against with some offensive potential.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:20 AM
mikachu

Was it just me or did Tim Murray say that Noesen was going to get an invite to the camp on the radio yesterday.

mikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:22 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
latendresse's best season was 40 points, not playing with spezza. latendresse is younger than greening (only one year). it's like the foligno treatment where because one guy has played fewer seasons, he is farther away from his ceiling, even if they're an older player. despite playing with worse players and on less talented lines, latendresse has only a slightly lower career ppg than greening. you like players that are big, and latendresse is a big body that seems to have softer hands and better shooting ability than greening. that's something we're looking for on spezza's line.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikachu View Post
Was it just me or did Tim Murray say that Noesen was going to get an invite to the camp on the radio yesterday.
Yes. But mostly alluded to it being to get him some hockey before he comes off his suspension.so he can hit the ground running.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:41 AM
General Granny*

Neil's replacement is looking to be one of DD, Cowick or Kramer.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
God Says No

Quote:

nope. if stone replaces anyone it's going to be someone in the top 6. most likely alfie next year. condra is good at his role which is pk/defensive player. you are underrating him and what he means to this team.

nope. latendresse is a top 6 player or bust. if you are planning on dropping him down to the bottom six, might as well just cut him now.

nope. a giant nope to foster. this guy doesn't fit our team. big and slow. only asset is his shot. i'd rather give one of our kids a shot.

filatov is not going to be enough to get wilson. in any case, as mentioned by other posters we don't need him. we already have other players in the pipeline who could potentially replace neil.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:02 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

I'm pretty sure they want to groom peanut butter guy into a Chris Neil clone.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:07 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I'm pretty sure they want to groom peanut butter guy into a Chris Neil clone.

swearing in your infomercial? so unprofessional

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote