HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500

I think Peckham, and bigger/stronger/slower dmen in general, do really well on the PK because they are able to get away with a little bit more because the refs are way less likely to call a ticky tacky hooking or holding penalty to put a team two men down. That and there are less rush oriented plays to defend so his lack of foot speed isnt exposed.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Arpeggio

Peckham was also really good on 5 on 3 PKs.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Speaking of defense, the Minnesota Wild's defense is horrendous after the Suter-Gilbert pairing.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:31 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Speaking of defense, the Minnesota Wild's defense is horrendous after the Suter-Gilbert pairing.
I could see Gilbert getting worn down playing 1st pairing minutes.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Thankfully for them, that pairing should be able to log a lot of minutes. Mid-twenties for sure, and in all three disciplines. After that though, you're right. Not much. Unfortunately it looks like they have a few defenseman for the future in Dumba, Brodin, Scandella, and Cuma, and a few forwards in Grandlund, Coyle, Phillips, and Zucker. The Oilers are going to have to earn it.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:50 PM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I could see Gilbert getting worn down playing 1st pairing minutes.
He could, but he's not a terrible bet to be able to handle it. His last two seasons have seen him play 24:00 and 24:30 per game. That's already in the top 30 for icetime, but adding an extra shift or two is all that would be needed to push him into the top 10. Ryan Suter to a good partner to ease into that role with too, to say the least.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Scandella is a good young dman. They also will have Brodin soon so I think they will be fine

Old
01-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Scandella is a good young dman. They also will have Brodin soon so I think they will be fine
dont forget Spurgeon... The kid logged 20-25min\night for them last year and held his own.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:26 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Peckham was also really good on 5 on 3 PKs.
Agreed, he did good protecting the net in close and denying cross ice passes.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:29 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Agreed, he did good protecting the net in close and denying cross ice passes.
That's why I'm so hesitant to see him go. It's not like he's completely lost out there, and he's still got upside

Old
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I read some stats somewhere, not just stats but a fairly detailed overview of Peckham as a player last season based on both simple numbers and "see him play" grading... apparently he was very good on the PK, both 5 on 4 and 5 on 3, and held his own at ES. The guy sticks up for his team mates and is physical... not a good idea to get rid of a good depth defenseman like him who can be physical and PK effectively.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:03 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
He could, but he's not a terrible bet to be able to handle it. His last two seasons have seen him play 24:00 and 24:30 per game. That's already in the top 30 for icetime, but adding an extra shift or two is all that would be needed to push him into the top 10. Ryan Suter to a good partner to ease into that role with too, to say the least.
And he can't handle it. Gilbert was always mistake prone when he played too much

Old
01-09-2013, 12:50 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I read some stats somewhere, not just stats but a fairly detailed overview of Peckham as a player last season based on both simple numbers and "see him play" grading... apparently he was very good on the PK, both 5 on 4 and 5 on 3, and held his own at ES. The guy sticks up for his team mates and is physical... not a good idea to get rid of a good depth defenseman like him who can be physical and PK effectively.
Im not saying get rid of him because I'd be surprised if he was picked up on waivers. I'd like to see him fall down the depth chart by 2 defenseman. If Peckham is in your top 7 your not going to make the playoffs in a normal season where in the 82 game schedule your bound to have injuries to defenseman. We might get away with it this year but I wouldnt bet on it.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:18 AM
CSimpson18

Peckham is certainly limited by his lack of mobility but he has some tools that could be valuable in a 6/7 dman. Not to mention there's a lot of room to grow.

Last year on the PK:

Peckham - 6.49 GA/60
Smid - 6.11 GA/60
Petry - 6.78 GA/60

He was right there with Smid which is pretty impressive, and ahead of Petry by a tiny bit. Playing Peckham for 13 minutes a night at evens plus heavy PK minutes is not the worst thing in the world. He's a great teammate, fearless and works his ass off.

Also, the alternative for now:

Potter - 7.15 GA/60

I really like Peckham. I hope he can become a more complete player. Guys like Sutton have learned to be relatively effective despite poor mobility, and I think Pecks can do the same.

edit- I checked these numbers for 5v5 play and found the following:

Peckham - 2.57 GA/60
Smid - 2.32 GA/60
Petry - 2.63 GA/60

Not too shabby. Granted, Peckham was facing easier opponents and had a bit better puck luck, but he was also lining up with worse teammates. He wasn't bleeding as badly as I thought at evens.

Again, the alternative, Corey Potter trailed the pack at 3.02 GA/60.

2nd edit -

I looked further and found something really surprising. Peckham actually led the team in GFON/60, meaning the team scored more at 5v5 with him on the ice than with any other dman.

Peckham - 2.57
Smid - 2.46
Petry - 2.39
Sutton - 2.29
Potter - 2.11
Whitney - 1.85

His zone starts were respectable for this team, starting 51.2 and ending 48.6% in the offensive zone. One caveat, his PDO was 1025 at evens, which explains a bit but not all of the teams success.

All in all, I'm not sure why his season is universally viewed as a total failure. He was average or better in all these categories last year but to me and everyone else he looked way off his game and unable to keep up.
Could just be confirmation bias, saw him bad or whatever you call that gut feeling you get when a player seems to be making a boatload of mistakes. Either way, I'm all for giving Pecks a season to sort it out.

Last edited by CSimpson18: 01-09-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 01:23 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Peckham is certainly limited by his lack of mobility but he has some tools that could be valuable in a 6/7 dman. Not to mention there's a lot of room to grow.

Last year on the PK:

Peckham - 6.49 GA/60
Smid - 6.11 GA/60
Petry - 6.78 GA/60

He was right there with Smid which is pretty impressive, and ahead of Petry by a tiny bit. Playing Peckham for 13 minutes a night at evens plus heavy PK minutes is not the worst thing in the world. He's a great teammate, fearless and works his ass off.

Also, the alternative for now:

Potter - 7.15 GA/60

I really like Peckham. I hope he can become a more complete player. Guys like Sutton have learned to be relatively effective despite poor mobility, and I think Pecks can do the same.

edit- I checked these numbers for 5v5 play and found the following:

Peckham - 2.57 GA/60
Smid - 2.32 GA/60
Petry - 2.63 GA/60

Not too shabby. Granted, Peckham was facing easier opponents and had a bit better puck luck, but he was also lining up with worse teammates. He wasn't bleeding as badly as I thought at evens.

Again, the alternative, Corey Potter trailed the pack at 3.02 GA/60.
Thats why I want to bump him down 2 defensemen on the depth chart get both him and Potter out of your top 7 guys. Then when injuries inevitably hit we have guys who can play top 4 in a pinch, something neither Peckham or Potter can do.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:30 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Thats why I want to bump him down 2 defensemen on the depth chart get both him and Potter out of your top 7 guys. Then when injuries inevitably hit we have guys who can play top 4 in a pinch, something neither Peckham or Potter can do.
Assuming we lose 2 D at some point, Peckham/Potter are ok as 7/8 because they would only need to fill in for our 5/6 guys. The problem is injured? Whitney and Peckham/Potter in our 5/6 spot because they can't cover the top 4.

I agree they should be bumped down, but only out of the top 6.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:39 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Assuming we lose 2 D at some point, Peckham/Potter are ok as 7/8 because they would only need to fill in for our 5/6 guys. The problem is injured? Whitney and Peckham/Potter in our 5/6 spot because they can't cover the top 4.

I agree they should be bumped down, but only out of the top 6.
Well when I look at the depth chart it looks something like this:

Smid-Petry
Whitney-Schultz
Schultz-Peckham
Potter

The way I look at it if we want to ruin Peckham we can sit him in the press box, but personally I'd rather have the kid playing every night in OKC or if someone else is willing to give him a chance let him go. On top of that I dont want to see Potter in a Oilers uniform again but thanks to our incompetent management team were most likely going to see him in the starting lineup on Jan 19th.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:48 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

A D man of Peckhams ilk doesn't clear waivers, no chance, no matter how much crap fans talk about him here. Not yet, at least. Could happen later if his stock falls further.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:50 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
I think Peckham is mature enough at this point where sitting in the PB will not ruin him any more than it would ruin a crappy 7th d veteran sitting there.

I think the one good thing about keeping him up here if they choose to is that he knows this is his last shot. He knows he is done here if he doesn't perform this season.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

We need someone with some bite on the back end. Peckham IMO has shown the most bite in both his rookie pro year and his NHL rookie year. Teubert is on the last year of his ELC and IMO should be in OKC playing lots and honing his craft. This should e Theo's last chance, if he plays like he did in his rookie season then he deserves to e kept around in a #6/7 role, if not then it's time to move on.

01-09-2013, 02:41 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Continue here.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:35 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Playing Peckham for 13 minutes a night at evens plus heavy PK minutes is not the worst thing in the world. He's a great teammate, fearless and works his ass off.
I agree .... I wish the bolded was still true, but I'm not so sure it is.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:14 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

I predict the oilers add an NHL d-man to the rosters shortly

Old
01-09-2013, 04:37 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I would guarantee Peckham gets picked up by some team if he hit waivers. Hell Chorney got picked up by St. Louis and even guys like Foster and Barker got picked up by teams (not just goofy Edmonton).

Peckham has a rep around the league for being a hard nosed guy willing to stick up for his teammates. He also has shown that he can play bottom pairing D without bleeding too many goals.

Now we as Oiler fans may not think quite as highly of him because we think he's regressed somewhat this past year but I guarantee you one of the other 29 GM's out there would take a flyer on him if he hit the waiver wire.

He's on a relatively cheap contract, he's physical and he's still fairly young... that's a combo that's hard to pass up and it's why the Oilers will give him a longer look as well during this shortened season to see if he can become a steady bottom pairing dman again.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:22 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I would guarantee Peckham gets picked up by some team if he hit waivers. Hell Chorney got picked up by St. Louis and even guys like Foster and Barker got picked up by teams (not just goofy Edmonton).

Peckham has a rep around the league for being a hard nosed guy willing to stick up for his teammates. He also has shown that he can play bottom pairing D without bleeding too many goals.

Now we as Oiler fans may not think quite as highly of him because we think he's regressed somewhat this past year but I guarantee you one of the other 29 GM's out there would take a flyer on him if he hit the waiver wire.

He's on a relatively cheap contract, he's physical and he's still fairly young... that's a combo that's hard to pass up and it's why the Oilers will give him a longer look as well during this shortened season to see if he can become a steady bottom pairing dman again.
Agreed. Teams are always looking for guys that can play with an edge, and Peckham in his prime is probably a #5 dman who can make other teams lives hell, and hold them responsible if they do something to the stars

Closed Thread