HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Vajakki

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
Thats great thanks!
That's not accurate though, what he wrote. It's not half and half. A team takes a cap hit equal of the difference of actual dollars and caphit during the time he played for that team. And that caphit is spread over the remaining years of that deal after the retirement.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:58 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
Thats great thanks!
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
How is that? Since when haven't buyouts counted against the cap (if you exclude these 2 compliance buyouts in the next two summers)?
Your right I forgot about that, but it wouldn't be as big of a hit no? Not a 100% sure about that but then again it wasn't my idea, and I could be wrong on how it works out/

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Interesting idea. I can see Wang doing that, cost him 660k in cash and he gets 3.5m off the cap. We eat a bad $1m contract.
Yeah it is interesting, as Vajakki said there still is some that would stick which is what I forgot about but it is still better than it the other way right.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:03 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Your right I forgot about that, but it wouldn't be as big of a hit no? Not a 100% sure about that but then again it wasn't my idea, and I could be wrong on how it works out/
I'm not sure about buyouts either and how they changed (if changed at all) with the new CBA but according to gapgeek, if Luongo was bought out after the 17-18 season like you mentioned earlier, here's what the "cap penalties" would look like for that:

2018-19: $2,534,667
2019-20: $4,298,667
2020-21: $4,916,667
2021-22: $4,916,667
2022-23: $583,333
2023-24: $583,333
2024-25: $583,333
2025-26: $583,333

If these are correct, it's more beneficial to just take penalty from retiring early instead of buying him out.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:05 AM
SunshineRays

Friedman said there is a loophoole in the 'Luongo Clause' - LTIR:

Quote:
Second, there may just be a loophole. From what I understand, Long-Term Injury Reserve still exists. (For example, it allows Chris Pronger to come off the Philadelphia cap while he recovers from concussions).

God forbid Luongo (or anyone else) goes through that. But he will be 40 in the summer of 2019. Who knows what happens to a goalie's body by then? Maybe he's had enough and is battling some nagging groin or hip or knee problem. He goes on LTIR, still gets paid and neither Toronto nor Vancouver gets any kind of penalty.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:11 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Friedman said there is a loophoole in the 'Luongo Clause' - LTIR:
Actually I was wondering about that because I thought that, because Pronger's deal was a 35+ contract, even the LTIR wouldn't matter in that case? He would be in the cap no matter what. Same thing with Thomas, 35+ contract. Even if he's not playing this year at all, it should still count against their cap right? I thought there was no possible way to go around 35+ contract rule. Might be wrong though, and this doesn't obviously affect Luongo because he's not on a 35+ contract.

Last edited by Vajakki: 01-09-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 05:22 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Actually I was wondering about that because I thought that, because Pronger's deal was a 35+ contract, even the LTIR wouldn't matter in that case? He would be in the cap no matter what. Same thing with Thomas, 35+ contract. Even if he's not playing this year at all, it should still count against their cap right? I thought there was no possible way to go around 35+ contract rule. Might be wrong though, and this doesn't obviously affect Luongo because he's not on a 35+ contract.
Under the old CBA, if a 35+ contract was on LTIR it didn't count against teams cap. We saw this with Pronger/Savard etc. Friedmans stating the old LTIR rules did not change in the new CBA, therefore if Lu gets injured and goes on LTIR (hope this never happens) it wouldn't count against either teams cap. He could essentially do what Pronger/Savard are doing - remain on LTIR until their contracts expire.

I believe the Thomas situation is different cause he's not on LTIR. He's on 'crazy break'. Unless they can trade his contract, or perhaps waive him to the minors, his cap will count against he Bruins (bwahhh).

Old
01-09-2013, 05:45 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I would too if there was a goalie on the planet that had better numbers than Cory Schneider has posted over the last 2 years.
In Leaf Army's world one of Crosby or Malkin can be had for a 3rd since one of then lost the #1C to the other. If Yakupov ever outscored Eberle they'll waive Eberle.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:56 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Have to think that if Toronto got Luongo, he'd make them a lot better IMO, and could make that 1st worse. Don't think that 1st round pick will be top 10, and certainly not top 5 with Luongo in net. I feel TO could squeak into a playoff spot with Luongo.
I would only agree with this if the new CBA didn't give the bottom 14 teams a shot at number 1pick. (i believe i have that right...info overload)

Old
01-09-2013, 06:01 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Bozak, Frattin and a 2 wouldn't even get you Michal Neuvirth let alone Roberto Luongo. Is a similar price (essentially in terms of value) that Tampa paid to get Lindback really where Luongo is valued?? Disgusting!
Kind of crazy.

untested Varmalov for 1st. + 2nd.
untested Lindback for 2x2nd +3rd

It seems TO fans would rather pay a 6.8m cap hit goal ie an extra 1.5m cap hit for 7 years, than MAYBE pay $2m for 3 (though in all likelihood they got off Scot free).

Old
01-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I would only agree with this if the new CBA didn't give the bottom 14 teams a shot at number 1pick. (i believe i have that right...info overload)
What are the chances though if you guys end up being a 9-10th seed?

Like 0.1%?

Old
01-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
In Leaf Army's world one of Crosby or Malkin can be had for a 3rd since one of then lost the #1C to the other. If Yakupov ever outscored Eberle they'll waive Eberle.
Oh man I burst out laughing while reading this.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:15 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Ltir does count against the cap, Pronger counts and so does Savard. You just get an emergency allowance to go over by that amount but you can't acrue cap savings. A few of these guys on LTIR and you could be screwed in the off season because they still count and could easily chew up the 10% off season overage allowance.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
What are the chances though if you guys end up being a 9-10th seed?

Like 0.1%?
I am not sure of the exact numbers. I know your chances are worse (than the old lottery system) if you finish lower.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:45 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Luongo to Toronto is done, according to Toronto radio.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Taunted
All hail Shinkaruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
---- nvm.

Last edited by Taunted: 01-09-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Ltir does count against the cap, Pronger counts and so does Savard. You just get an emergency allowance to go over by that amount but you can't acrue cap savings. A few of these guys on LTIR and you could be screwed in the off season because they still count and could easily chew up the 10% off season overage allowance.
Yeah I knew that LTIR "counts" against the cap but you can just go over it by the amount that is in the LTIR. How can anyone forget the "Ballard concussion" lol. Anyway, I thought that with 35+ contracts you weren't allowed to go over it like in normal LTIR situations, but few people have now said it is possible. It's funny that, say a player on a 35+ contract dies, he would still be on your salary cap until the contract expires, but if he's "only" injured and on LTIR, you can kinda forget it there and just go over the cap by that much.

If the rumors are indeed true, I'd be really disappointed if Frattin and a high pick (1st or in some case 2nd rounder) were not part of that deal.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:28 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
It better not be.

01-09-2013, 08:32 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Is this Elliot Price reliable? He is on TSN radio.

I know I won't like it if it's the deal rumored. But my gut and Frattin's healthy scratching last night tells me it makes sense.

Get me Matt Finn in the deal and I'll find a way to justify this in my head.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:34 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
It better not be.
Well, depends on the return.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:37 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
It better not be.
To be honest, Bozak is a pretty good top 9 player and decent stop-gap for Kesler, Kadri is a pretty damn good prospect and there would also be a pick thrown in.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
To be honest, Bozak is a pretty good top 9 player and decent stop-gap for Kesler, Kadri is a pretty damn good prospect and there would also be a pick thrown in.
Is that the rumored deal? That pick better be a first

Old
01-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
i sure hope its kadri and not frattin like i've seen thrown around also.

if im going to take their garbage, atleast have one with some upside. lol

Old
01-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Is that the rumored deal? That pick better be a first
yeah bozak, frattin/kadri and pick. better be a 1st and not a 2nd

but the rumor is probably just that there is a trade and people are just using the names that have been past rumored or thrown out there

Old
01-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Orca Smash

This elliot price guy only has 2000 and some followers on twitter. Pretty low numbers for a tsn radio host.

Although that does not say everything, but usual reliable guys have more followers then that.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Well what would be more beneficial to there success? Weiss when they have Flesichmann there or Luongo when both there goaltenders are decling and there team has gotten worse defensively.

I doubt this team is capable of making the playoffs the way they are, getting Luongo would really improve that chance. Weiss isn't great to give up but when you consider they will lose him anyway and probably for nothing why wouldn't they try to trade him and get something since they are shooting for the future more so than right now.

I don't really think Versteeg is a fit, and I agree he isn't coming here, Weiss is different because it's unlikely he is going back, Would Luongo not improve there chances alot? since there goaltending isn't that great to start with and is declining, and there defense also lost a huge piece in Garrison (he was on there top pair) Ya there offense would take a big hit but there goaltending would gain a huge improvement, and as we have seen a great goalie can carry a lackluster offense more so than a better offense carrying a lackluster goalie.
You are spinning tires here...just because people around here want Weiss doesn't mean it's in Florida's best interests to trade him right now. Fleischmann is NOT a suitable candidate to be a #1 center if they're looking to make the playoffs, and there is no NEED for them to move Weiss until they know where they sit in the playoff picture. They can get Luongo for other pieces that don't seriously affect their current roster.

Closed Thread