HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

el Nino vs Chris Krieder

View Poll Results: who would you rather have on your team
nino 68 42.77%
krieder 91 57.23%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-09-2013, 05:00 AM
holyprime

vCash: 500
What people tend to forget about Nino's horrible NHL season is his reaction to it.

I don't think it is easy for a 20 year old to get over that, i mean he was the laughing stock of the league, just bc his team needed him for his cap hit and/or he was too young for the AHL. All that while a lot of his friends and all of his family was halfway around the planet.

Having that in mind, together with the fact that both project as power forwards, the stats do matter somewhat. I mean, its not like Kreider (he is also 1,5 year older than Nino) hasn't anything to prove anymore, this season is as important as it is to Nino, they both want to crack the NHL roster again, this time in a scoring role.

Obvious choice for me is therefor Nino.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:31 AM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyprime View Post
What people tend to forget about Nino's horrible NHL season is his reaction to it.

I don't think it is easy for a 20 year old to get over that, i mean he was the laughing stock of the league, just bc his team needed him for his cap hit and/or he was too young for the AHL. All that while a lot of his friends and all of his family was halfway around the planet.

Having that in mind, together with the fact that both project as power forwards, the stats do matter somewhat. I mean, its not like Kreider (he is also 1,5 year older than Nino) hasn't anything to prove anymore, this season is as important as it is to Nino, they both want to crack the NHL roster again, this time in a scoring role.

Obvious choice for me is therefor Nino.
I disagree it didn't matter how Krieider played in the AHL he was a lock to be on the Rangers his year.

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:47 AM
rikker

people deciding, based on a small sample size, will be surprised. El Nino....

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:58 AM
holyprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
I disagree it didn't matter how Krieider played in the AHL he was a lock to be on the Rangers his year.
My apology then, didnt know that.

Haven't seen him play either, so i cant say if its a lack of effort or smth else. But as an outsider looking into the NYR organisation, this makes my choice even more obvious.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:03 PM
startainfection

Quote:
that is just bad on the rangers part, i honestly dont think krieder should make the rangers right away, make him earn it in the ahl first

also ranger fans were ridiculously high on nino in his draft year also they had no expectations of krieder at that time either

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
that is just bad on the rangers part, i honestly dont think krieder should make the rangers right away, make him earn it in the ahl first
We have Nash, Hagelin, and Rupp. Who do you propose takes the other LW spot? Michael Haley???

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:27 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
News Flash: there is more to being a star than just points.

Not to mention a 30 point pace while playing 4th line minutes on a defensive minded team is extremely impressive
It doesn't matter if there is more to being a star than just points, there is no such thing as an NHL forward who scores 30 points and 'plays like a star'. Keep on tossing out the excuses all you want, Kreider was just okay in the playoffs. Which is fine, he was a rookie thrown into the NHL playoffs with no pro experience, but don't sit here and act like he played amazing, because he didn't.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Et le But

Nino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
And if you break that down further we see that he didn't play as a star in the NHL or the AHL so essentially the highest level he's played like a star at was college.

Were he was about a PPG. Once. In his 3rd season.

Hooray for the NCAA star.
The second coming of Blake Geoffrion.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:54 AM
bigbadbruins7

i have to go with krieder at this stage but I really hope Nino has a great year

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:36 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post
Do you guys really believe that Kreider would have had a better season with Marty Reasoner and Jay Pandolfo on his side as a 19 years old NHL rookie, who was concussed early in the season?
I would think without a doubt Kreider would have put up more than 2 points in 55 games in the NHL if he played on a line with Pandolfo and Reasoner. Kreider's speed and NHL shot would have done the trick.

It really is no excuse for Nino to have a horrible season last year. Granted he probably got around 6-7 minutes of ice time on that 4th line but even a blind squirrel can finds some acorns. If Nino was so good he would have had some more points on that line and force management to put Nino on a scoring line or at least the 3rd line with more quality ice time

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:02 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I would think without a doubt Kreider would have put up more than 2 points in 55 games in the NHL if he played on a line with Pandolfo and Reasoner. Kreider's speed and NHL shot would have done the trick.

It really is no excuse for Nino to have a horrible season last year. Granted he probably got around 6-7 minutes of ice time on that 4th line but even a blind squirrel can finds some acorns. If Nino was so good he would have had some more points on that line and force management to put Nino on a scoring line or at least the 3rd line with more quality ice time
Being 19, getting 4th line minutes with energy players and coming back from a concussion is kind of an excuse. People forget that he actually looked pretty good before the injury. It was post-injury where he struggled.

Not going to judge his upside on last year. It was a horrible situation.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
It doesn't matter if there is more to being a star than just points, there is no such thing as an NHL forward who scores 30 points and 'plays like a star'. Keep on tossing out the excuses all you want, Kreider was just okay in the playoffs. Which is fine, he was a rookie thrown into the NHL playoffs with no pro experience, but don't sit here and act like he played amazing, because he didn't.
As a rookie, against playoff compeitition, Kreider proved he can be a scoring threat. Yet in the fairytale world you live in, he was just 'ok'.

Almost every time he was on the ice, play-by-play announcers would praise him for his nifty plays. Or his back-checking. Or his active stick. Or his play along the boards. Or his impressive shot. Blazing speed.

Kid's not going to be a superstar, but he's going to be a damn good player. And he was more than just "OK" in the playoffs.

I truly don't think you watched more than a few shifts of him. Just, an opinion.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
So 3 tournaments against amateur or junior level competition. The term NCAA star seems to remain applicable.

And he hardly set the world on fire in the NHL playoffs. He got some points in a minor support role, hardly stuff of legend. The term star of the NHL playoffs seems ... misplaced... in this instance. I'd used that for someone that carried his team, not was present and helped out.
He was easily the best forward in Devils series. Minor support role my ass.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:18 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Man, 1 point in 55 games is pretty horrible, especially for a guy with Nino's talent.

I think Nino has a higher potential ceiling, but Kreider is more of a sure bet to be a solid NHL player. I'll pick Kreider...really like the kid's game and skills.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote