HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky trying to void trade to Isles - UPDATE: More Drama (post #510)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 03:13 AM
Faterson

vCash: 500
Višňovský statement after last night's (Tuesday) game:

Quote:
It was difficult. Before the game, I also got a call from Islanders assistant coach Doug Weight, and he put some emotional pressure on me; it's a very difficult situation. I have no idea what's going to happen next. It's difficult for me to talk about; it's been a burden.
Source: http://sport.sme.sk/c/6660119/slovan...-play-off.html

Višňovský got 2 assists with a +1 rating in Slovan's 4-3 overtime victory, playing a massive 34 minutes over 60 minutes of regulation and 2 minutes overtime. He received the Player of the Game award on Slovan's side (young Russian star Kuznetsov on the Chelyabinsk side).

Old
01-09-2013, 03:23 AM
Indian

Guys, may I remind you have many times the cards were reversed? Do you know it was the NHL that for years was poaching players with valid contracts from european leagues?

I'm not defending Visonvsky and others that want to stay, but let's not forget about the past either.

I believe players should honor their contracts.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:33 AM
luki here

Please give some meaningful examples (ie similar situation) of nhl clubs poaching.

Cheers!

Old
01-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
In the NHL players can get traded at any time. Visnovsky knows this and it's part and parcel of the game. He got a NTC but it was voided when he was dealt previously
No, you totally mixed that up. The only no-trade clause Višňovský ever signed was the one guaranteeing he would remain on the LA Kings until the summer of 2013. The Kings then made sure Višňovský was traded a few hours before the clause came into effect -- an exemplary act of backstabbing.

So your whole line of arguing, "He should honor the deal he signed," is wrong. Višňovský was never given the opportunity to honor the deal he actually signed. Instead, an entirely different deal was forced upon him -- the 4th different deal in 4 years by now.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:07 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
No, you totally mixed that up. The only no-trade clause Višňovský ever signed was the one guaranteeing he would remain on the LA Kings until the summer of 2013. The Kings then made sure Višňovský was traded a few hours before the clause came into effect -- an exemplary act of backstabbing.
So based on this, is he not (morally, legally or in other way) obliged to honor his contract with Islanders now? Keep in mind, that he was allways treated (despite your and his feelings towards the Kings-Oilers trade) within the rules he is trying to break now...

Old
01-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Faterson

Sorry, I'm unable to follow your logic there, kuwo. Nechápem. He was backstabbed, so he's now obliged to honor that absurdly, wildly disfigured and mangled original contract with the LA Kings? Within the confines of the NHL, definitely! But he seems no longer interested in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Guys, may I remind you how many times the cards were reversed?
Speaking of reversing the cards, every single year, European hockey fans are humiliated by having to wait until the NHL play-offs are over for a particular team, before that team releases a player to represent his country at the World Championships. Great Slovak players like Hossa and Gáborík have never won a medal because in those years when Slovakia was winning gold, silver, or bronze, they happened to be involved in the play-offs for their respective NHL teams.

Well, what about reversing the table for once, so that the NHL gets to taste its own medicine? Wait for Višňovský to finish his KHL season with Slovan (a first-round play-offs exit in late February seems most likely today), and then he can be all yours on the Islanders.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:45 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Sorry, I'm unable to follow your logic there, kuwo. Nechápem. He was backstabbed, so he's now obliged to honor that absurdly, wildly disfigured and mangled original contract with the LA Kings? Within the confines of the NHL, definitely! But he seems no longer interested in the NHL.
Well, yeah Again, he might feel he was treated unfairly, but it was all within the rules players previously agreed with. Also his contract wasn't illegally modified. It has the same structure he originally agreed to, only without the NTC, which Edmonton apparently didn't choose to be bound by (again well within rules). So yeah, it occurs to me, that he indeed is legally obliged to play for the Islanders. And from the "moral" stand point, as I said, I fail to see any "morality" in setting an example based on breaking the rules he agreed to...

Old
01-09-2013, 04:57 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
So yeah, it occurs to me, that he indeed is legally obliged to play for the Islanders.
Within the NHL, definitely. If he decides to leave the NHL, I don't think so.

Quote:
And from the "moral" stand point, as I said, I fail to see any "morality" in setting an example based on breaking the rules he agreed to...
That's a weird interpretation of events. Višňovský has no power to agree or disagree with "the rules". All players must obey the NHL rules, period -- they have no option in that regard.

The only thing Višňovský really agreed to and confirmed with his signature, was his intention to play on the LA Kings until the summer of 2013, which is why the no-trade clause was included in the contract he signed. Now, we can all see where that has led to... 3, possibly 4 trades in 5 years' time, and only one of them in accordance with Višňovský's preferences. You call that a "contract", and I call it a "mockery and extreme distortion of the (original) contract".

Old
01-09-2013, 05:10 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
Please give some meaningful examples (ie similar situation) of nhl clubs poaching.

Cheers!
Malkin

Old
01-09-2013, 05:14 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Within the NHL, definitely. If he decides to leave the NHL, I don't think so.
Well, the problem is he can't unless he retires right? Because he is under a valid contract he signed

Quote:
That's a weird interpretation of events. Višňovský has no power to agree or disagree with "the rules". All players must obey the NHL rules, period -- they have no option in that regard.
The only thing Višňovský really agreed to and confirmed with his signature, was his intention to play on the LA Kings until the summer of 2013, which is why the no-trade clause was included in the contract he signed. Now, we can all see where that has led to... 3, possibly 4 trades in 5 years' time, and only one of them in accordance with Višňovský's preferences. You call that a "contract", and I call it a "mockery and extreme distortion of the (original) contract".
No need to shake heads. I thought that NHL rules had to be agreed by by NHLPA, the group that also represents a player like Višňovský and acts in his name also. And although he surely thought he would retire as a King, he took the risk, signed the extension with the knowledge of a possible trade before NTC kick in. If not, well, who's to blame?

Last edited by kuwo: 01-09-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 05:37 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Well, the problem is he can't unless he retires right? Because he is under a valid contract he signed
I disagree. By the way, the KHL boss makes this exact point in today's interview: that a player having signed an NHL contract does not mean he subjugated himself to slavery. I agree that if Višňovský wants to play in the NHL, he needs to follow all the NHL rules. But if he's no longer interested in the NHL, just let him go and award the Isles a compensatory 2nd round draft pick.

Quote:
although he surely thought he would retire as a King, he took the risk, signed the extension with the knowledge of a possible trade before NTC kick in. If not, well, who's to blame?
I think that offering a player to sign a 5-year contract extension that includes a non-trade clause, but then subvert the intent of the contract a few hours before the clause kicks in, signifies a huge amount of ill-will (or lack of morals, if you will) on the part of the NHL club. Given such treatment, I don't think Višňovský needs to feel any moral obligation towards anyone in the NHL. As to his legal obligations, should he decide to play in the NHL again, he must first join the Islanders to be allowed to do so. That's fair and square, to my mind.

PS: Let me stress I'm a long-time LA Kings fan and LGK member and they're still my no. 1 favorite NHL team today! But that doesn't prevent me from telling it like it is, regarding the Višňovský trade.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:57 AM
kuwo

Quote:
I disagree. By the way, the KHL boss makes this exact point in today's interview: that a player having signed an NHL contract does not mean he subjugated himself to slavery. I agree that if Višňovský wants to play in the NHL, he needs to follow all the NHL rules. But if he's no longer interested in the NHL, just let him go and award the Isles a compensatory 2nd round draft pick.
Well, I'll just leave Medvedev's comments to someone more competent to answer, as I am no NHL representative

It just occurs to me, that he is contradicting himself, because of this : http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...understanding/

Quote:
I think that offering a player to sign a 5-year contract extension that includes a non-trade clause, but then subvert the intent of the contract a few hours before the clause kicks in, signifies a huge amount of ill-will (or lack of morals, if you will) on the part of the NHL club. Given such treatment, I don't think Višňovský needs to feel any moral obligation towards anyone in the NHL. As to his legal obligations, should he decide to play in the NHL again, he must first join the Islanders to be allowed to do so. That's fair and square, to my mind.

PS: Let me stress I'm a long-time LA Kings fan and LGK member and they're still my no. 1 favorite NHL team today! But that doesn't prevent me from telling it like it is, regarding the Višňovský trade.
As I already said, him not reporting would not only be unfair (in which way he was treated according to him) but also illegal (not considering Medvedev's comments, they may not be true). Also, as an Islanders fan, I can't consider it moral, when a player is breaking the rules by hurting my favorite team (despite it is not his intention according to him) that has done no harm to him. And from an Islanders fan standpoint I can't agree with the "morality" of breaking the man's word (meaning contract signature)...

Old
01-09-2013, 06:04 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
I disagree. By the way, the KHL boss makes this exact point in today's interview: that a player having signed an NHL contract does not mean he subjegated himself to slavery. I agree that if Višňovský wants to play in the NHL, he needs to follow all the NHL rules. But if he's no longer interested in the NHL, just let him go and award the Isles a compensatory 2nd round draft pick.

No worries, though I'd replace 'telling it like it is' with 'telling it from one point of view.'

The point of view that some of us Islanders fans hold is simply that we had nothing to do with the way Visnovsky's NTC was circumvented, (neither did Visnovsky when traded from the Oilers to the Ducks) and that we traded an asset in a deep draft for him under the impression that he would fulfill his contract here and be a reliable top-4 D for us. As much as I'd simply like the trade reversed (or for LA to be on the hook for owing us a pick, since they circumvented his NTC in the first place) the Islanders have zero to do with that NTC not being honored and simply shouldn't be the team left in the lurch over Visnovsky's sudden decision to abscond from the NHL....which conveniently came right after - rather than before - the lockout ended. Now it's a matter of being a little burnt and waiting to see how bad our blueline is screwed because of it.

If such an overabundance of national pride was the root of his decision, he could have pulled this months ago when the 2013 season was likely not happening and he wouldn't have looked so suspect of trying to slither out of a contract, and that's telling it like it is - there's no 'unknowns' in that facet of it as it already happened. The Kings-Oilers trade preempted the 'go-time' of an NTC which was conveniently not brought up when the Oilers turned around and sent him to the Ducks. The Isles acquire him a few seasons later. Who should get shafted here? Maybe not Visnovsky, but the Islanders certainly shouldn't either.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:19 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Who should get shafted here? Maybe not Visnovsky, but the Islanders certainly shouldn't either.
If Višňovský is allowed to finish his season in the KHL and the Isles get a compensatory 2nd round draft pick, no one gets shafted and everyone can be happy.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:21 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Malkin
That's kind of the point though, there was no transfer agreement with Russia in place when Malkin was brought to the NHL while still under contract in Russia. There is one now. If the KHL stops honoring the transfer agreement, then NHL will teams will have nothing stopping them from poaching players from them again. Personally, I suspect that would affect the KHL worse than it'd affect the NHL.

While I can understand Lubo wanting to stay with his hometown team, and do feel bad for him with how his contract didn't work out as he expected, it's more important that he sucks it up and plays out his last season -- which isn't even a full season. Outright breaking the transfer agreement could have problematic repercussions for both leagues.

Quote:
If Višňovský is allowed to finish his season in the KHL and the Isles get a compensatory 2nd round draft pick, no one gets shafted and everyone can be happy.
Islanders won't get a compensatory pick, I can pretty much guarantee you that much.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:34 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
That's pretty unlikely - it gently screws over the rest of the NHL by sliding everyone back by one spot, and they're not going to award the NYI LA's or Edmonton's 2nd since one of those two teams is the origin of any 'malfeasance' with the NTC aspect of that original trade.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Islanders won't get a compensatory pick, I can pretty much guarantee you that much.
Not automatically, that's for sure. The Islanders management would have to work hard to make it happen. But isn't that what they are getting paid for, to deal with situations like this?

Old
01-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Faterson

Quote:
That's pretty unlikely
But not impossible.

Quote:
it gently screws over the rest of the NHL by sliding everyone back by one spot
Big deal! It's not like we're talking about a compensatory first-round draft pick. Better gently screw everyone, than screw Višňovský and/or the Islanders big-time.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:57 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
I'd pass up getting the 2nd rounder back if Vis was blocked from playing ANY pro hockey for a yr.

Screw Vis.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
That's kind of the point though, there was no transfer agreement with Russia in place when Malkin was brought to the NHL while still under contract in Russia. There is one now. If the KHL stops honoring the transfer agreement, then NHL will teams will have nothing stopping them from poaching players from them again. Personally, I suspect that would affect the KHL worse than it'd affect the NHL.
There is memorandum of understanding, but no formal transfer agreement.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

With respect to the trade from the Kings to the Isles, which Faterson is calling "backstabbing" and "a mockery"; why did the arbitrators hold up the trade and not cancel/reverse it?

Old
01-09-2013, 08:04 AM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
With respect to the trade from the Kings to the Isles, which Faterson is calling "backstabbing" and "a mockery"; why did the arbitrators hold up the trade and not cancel/reverse it?
I think that their reasoning was that he willingly gave up his NTC when he agreed with the Anaheim trade.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
When someone who sounds educated fails to appreciate the deeply rich and obvious historical irony of what he says, you can be sure that the neurosis runs deep.

Medvedev's comments pander to Russian paranoia. One would think that those who came out from under the Russian yoke would know better.

Comparing slavery to a requirement to finish out the back end of a 4 year 28 million dollar contract is both stupid and offensive. It reminds me of Ultra-Orthodox Jews in Israel donning concentration camp uniforms because public buses run on Saturday. Seriously? Only a complete idiot or a snake oil salesman (Medvedev) makes that kind of claim.

BTW, the unemployment rate in Austria is 4.5 percent. In Slovakia, it's 14%. So while you may be able to see Austria from your house, that's probably also the only place you can spot a 'Help Wanted' sign. Maybe close, but worlds away.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
xECK29x

Quote:

So your whole line of arguing, "He should honor the deal he signed," is wrong. Višňovský was never given the opportunity to honor the deal he actually signed. Instead, an entirely different deal was forced upon him -- the 4th different deal in 4 years by now.
I'm sorry but this point is ridiculous. If Vish had an issue with the way the NTC was used while he was on the Kings with his trade to the Oilers why didn't he pull the arbitration hearing then? Why didn't he try to get the NHLPA involved then? He went on to play for FIVE more years in the NHL, if he was so disgruntled and felt "back stabbed" he sure showed the NHL how unhappy he was by sticking around and playing for those clubs. If he was so concerned about wanting to play in his home country and be more with his family why wouldn't he welcome the opportunity to play for an NHL club which has the shortest round trip flight?

This whole notion of the NHL "poaching" players is absurd, these players are just that, they are players of a sport, the best players of that sport, and as the best they have the right to join ANY professional league they want. The NHL is not holding a gun to their head forcing these players to sign this very expensive contracts. These players hold luxury professions, they are the 1%.

The NHL did not "poach" Malkin, he was drafted. Let me explain how the draft works, just because a player is drafted by an organization does not mean he is forced to sign a deal with that drafted team or even join the NHL, this stands for players in North America as well. The entry draft gives that single NHL team 'rights' to sign a player so no other NHL team can. It's the same in the KHL, they draft NHL and CHL players every year, it just gives that particular KHL 'rights' to sign that player if that player CHOOSES to play in the KHL.

Malkin was not abducted and brought overseas to America against his will. During the draft process he was interviewed, probably by all 30 NHL clubs to gauge his interest in playing for an NHL club if drafted, the Penguins knew he had a KHL deal, they did not buy him out of that contract. Malkin defected Russia to come play for the NHL and sign a deal here, he did not HAVE to do that.

Back to Vish and the Islanders, don't you dare come to our boards and try to piss us off with your defending of a player that is going against a deal he signed in 2008. Islanders fans are the most defensive fans because we have had nothing but crappy teams, a crappy building, built by crappy management with crappy prospects until 2008 (hey look when Vish signed his contract!) when Garth Snow finally put our team in a proper rebuilt. We have waited for years, years, to acquire a top-4 defenseman like Vish, we WANT to have him play for us, we would buy his jersey and cheer his name and sing his praises if he played here with Islanders heart, passion and desire to bring the Stanley Cup back to Long Island where we held it for four years straight, something that will NEVER be accomplished in any professional sport ever again. It wasn't just that we acquired him either, it was the fact that we acquired such a caliber player for something that was low in risk and high reward, but if he is not going to play for us we want that low risk back, it's just good business sense.

The Islanders have one of the tightest locker rooms and most passionate fan bases, don't cross us, don't back stab us, don't call our Island bad names, because when a player finally plays for us, they never want to leave, it's the best kept secret in professional sports.

Let's not forget the Islanders currently have a complicated situation that relates to both Vish and Malkin's situations. Kirill Petrov is one of the Islanders top prospects, they drafted him while he was under a lengthy KHL deal, one where the Islanders can not buy him out of. They still drafted him, knowing where he would be playing the next couple of years, they respected that contact, they waited until it ended. After the contract ended the Islanders (and their fans) got excited thinking we would see Petrov come overseas and play with Tavares and company, but his mother is terminally ill. The Islanders (and most of their fans) greatly respect and appreciate his decision to stay in the KHL, continue to develop and care for his mother while he still has time with her. The Islanders and their fans completely understand why a player would choose to stay in their home country for personal or family reasons. That does not excuse the fact that Vish chose to handle himself the way he did, if he did not ever truly want to continue to play in the NHL after he was traded back in June, he should have retired from the NHL and should still choose to do so. Instead he is now putting our team at risk as we now have a big hole in our defense we somehow have to fix in a very short period of time, and we still lost that 2nd round pick in what could be the deepest draft class ever.

Understand our frustration and respect it, please leave if you will continue to cause trouble.

Edit: hey look at that 2k posts!

Old
01-09-2013, 08:20 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
When someone who sounds educated fails to appreciate the deeply rich and obvious historical irony of what he says, you can be sure that the neurosis runs deep.

Medvedev's comments pander to Russian paranoia. One would think that those who came out from under the Russian yoke would know better.

Comparing slavery to a requirement to finish out the back end of a 4 year 28 million dollar contract is both stupid and offensive. It reminds me of Ultra-Orthodox Jews in Israel donning concentration camp uniforms because public buses run on Saturday. Seriously? Only a complete idiot or a snake oil salesman (Medvedev) makes that kind of claim.

BTW, the unemployment rate in Austria is 4.5 percent. In Slovakia, it's 14%. So while you may be able to see Austria from your house, that's probably also the only place you can spot a 'Help Wanted' sign. Maybe close, but worlds away.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Best post I've read in a while, we should all be so lucky to be subjected to slavery that requires us to voluntarily enter into an agreement to make millions upon millions of dollars to play a sport for a set period of time - but may be required to relocate periodically somewhere within the US and Canada.

Horror! Horror!

Closed Thread