Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jaromir Jagr Discussion Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 03:34 PM
jagrgodr

vCash: 500

Czech hockey star Jaromir Jagr leaves the ice after the Czech League match for his team HC Kladno in Kladno January 8, 2013. The National Hockey League (NHL) and locked-out players reached a tentative agreement on Sunday to end a costly labor dispute and salvage a condensed season that was days away from being canceled entirely. REUTERS/Petr Josek (CZECH REPUBLIC - Tags: SPORT ICE HOCKEY)

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Calibos72

nice video
http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/sport/ho...igove-momenty/

Calibos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos72 View Post
Only available in Czech Republic?

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Calibos72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Only available in Czech Republic?
sry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ieTp2KG6A

Calibos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Mirinho

yeah very nice video .. what a player and great person he is

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
Thank you!

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
these videos, along with his stats over his later years (nhl+khl+czech), show me that jagr hasn't slowed down at all. extremely durable too. until he shows any bit of deterioration, i want him in dallas for as long as possible. keep signing those mike comrie 1-yr contracts!

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:41 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

That is awesome! Great video.

Love my signed Jagr jersey and signed photo (met him at the last Flyer's carnival)... Very lucky to have them...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:53 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
these videos, along with his stats over his later years (nhl+khl+czech), show me that jagr hasn't slowed down at all. extremely durable too. until he shows any bit of deterioration, i want him in dallas for as long as possible. keep signing those mike comrie 1-yr contracts!
Tell that to all the naysayers who think he's done or close to being done.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
livewell68

Would expecting him to be a PPG player be a bit more realistic then?

Old
01-10-2013, 10:22 PM
ginblossoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Would expecting him to be a PPG player be a bit more realistic then?
would be pleasantly surprised if that happened. the stars haven't had a ppg player for a while (i think). i just want him to be more productive than selanne. (man that guy is annoying!)

Old
01-10-2013, 10:38 PM
livewell68

Quote:
would be pleasantly surprised if that happened. the stars haven't had a ppg player for a while (i think). i just want him to be more productive than selanne. (man that guy is annoying!)
Erikson and Benn weren't so far off.

I just think Jagr comes to training camp with a purpose. The Czech league for all the bad rap it gets, is a pretty darn good club and no one in that league (among NHL players) came close to putting up the numbers Jagr put up in that league. He finished with 59 Pts in 34 games for a PPG of 1.74.

That league was the second best league in Europe this year (behind the KHL), and it was better than the Swedish Elite league since that league didn't allow NHL players to play in it. The rinks are NHL sized and he pretty much put up historical numbers.

In fact back in 2004-05, when he went to play in the Czech League, he had 27 Pts in 17 games which is a PPG of 1.65. We all know what kind of season he had the following year in the NHL (123 Pts in 82 games). Sure he was 6 years younger, but he was also heavier and slower then than he is now.

Heck even TSN.ca used the point projection tool. 74% of the points scored in the Czech League translate to points in the NHL. A PPG of 1.74 translates to 1.29 PPG in the NHL.

That would project him to be a much better player than PPG. I think for one, the powerplay in Dallas will be vastly improved and Jagr (regardless of his age) will remain dangerous on the man advantage.

Don't forget, before Jagr's injury last season, he had 41 Pts in his first 40 games. This was despite coming off 3 years in a slower league with larger ice surfaces and this despite taking a good 10 games to get his timing back. He was also 20 lbs heavier last season.

I think having Selanne in the same division as him will be a huge motivator for Jagr to try and outplay him.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but in a shorter season it might be easier to maintain a PPG pace.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Al Core

Stars just announced on their twitter that Jagr will skate with the team tomorrow in Frisco. Cool stuff. Anybody going out there?

Al Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Core View Post
Stars just announced on their twitter that Jagr will skate with the team tomorrow in Frisco. Cool stuff. Anybody going out there?
I wish

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:23 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Not sure if anyone's caught the quick interview Jagr did after coming in today:

http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocent...ole?catid=1092

He talks a bit about the lockout, traveling in the West, why he joined Dallas, etc.

Regarding the travel, he said he's not worried due to the amount of flying he had to do in the KHL for 3 years, which was worse.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Not sure if anyone's caught the quick interview Jagr did after coming in today:

http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocent...ole?catid=1092

He talks a bit about the lockout, traveling in the West, why he joined Dallas, etc.

Regarding the travel, he said he's not worried due to the amount of flying he had to do in the KHL for 3 years, which was worse.
Pretty standard, but he seemed more excited/happy and less serious than usual. I think his last answer was best, that he wants to show Dallas that they made a good choice in making him feel wanted. With a shortened season... new team that hasn't made the playoffs lately... extra motivation to show that he still has it... I think he's happy he got to play for his team in Czech and excited to help lead this team to the playoffs.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:04 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Pretty standard, but he seemed more excited/happy and less serious than usual. I think his last answer was best, that he wants to show Dallas that they made a good choice in making him feel wanted. With a shortened season... new team that hasn't made the playoffs lately... extra motivation to show that he still has it... I think he's happy he got to play for his team in Czech and excited to help lead this team to the playoffs.
That last quote stuck out to me as well. The dude has nothing left to prove in his career ... but he's clearly concerned about rewarding Dallas for their faith while proving other teams wrong. Love that attitude.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
That last quote stuck out to me as well. The dude has nothing left to prove in his career ... but he's clearly concerned about rewarding Dallas for their faith while proving other teams wrong. Love that attitude.
Makes me think if we had a game against the Habs this year he'd have a hat trick. He was obviously pissed at some team's lack of faith in him to sign him.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
jagrgodr

Some great news for Jagr fans, check out this quote:

Quote:
"The guy's just a presence in our locker room," said Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan, whose club missed the playoffs for the fourth straight season last year. "And when you have a guy of that stature and that ability, it makes people think you can win every night and that can be infectious."

"We're going to put him in his position where he's had the most success, which is kind of running it off the half-wall," Gulutzan said. "He's an offensive guy, he's going to play around 17 minutes a night for us in key offensive situations and we're excited to have him."
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...no-8-all-time/

If he plans on giving Jagr 17 minutes, would he really be on the top line? Anyways i'm just excited to see the coach come out and say that Jagr will be on the half boards on the PP and out there for key offensive situations. That is what Jagr really wants, he wants to be out there in situations where he can help the team win and he HATES being on the bench in those situations. When he was reduced tot he 2nd power play unit and limited TOI you could tell he was unhappy (he was battling an injury also).

Can't wait to see him on the Power Play being used the correct way. The flyers totally used Jagr the wrong way on the PP, putting him in the center of the ice most of the time, wtf!

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:22 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Some great news for Jagr fans, check out this quote:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...no-8-all-time/

If he plans on giving Jagr 17 minutes, would he really be on the top line? Anyways i'm just excited to see the coach come out and say that Jagr will be on the half boards on the PP and out there for key offensive situations. That is what Jagr really wants, he wants to be out there in situations where he can help the team win and he HATES being on the bench in those situations. When he was reduced tot he 2nd power play unit and limited TOI you could tell he was unhappy (he was battling an injury also).

Can't wait to see him on the Power Play being used the correct way. The flyers totally used Jagr the wrong way on the PP, putting him in the center of the ice most of the time, wtf!

Training camp hasn't even started. There is still plenty of time to decide on these things. I read an article that said that in order for Dallas to be successful this season, they will have to rely heavily on their top 3 lines and not really roll out 4 lines. You can expect anywhere between 18-21 minutes a game for Jagr depending on how his body reacts to it and how well he plays. You don't want him to burn out early either. Sure he's been playing in an easier league for the first 4 months, but the thing is he was still playing and playing 25-26 minutes a game. You don't want risk him being tired and injured for the playoffs.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:45 AM
ginblossoms

Quote:
Erikson and Benn weren't so far off.

I just think Jagr comes to training camp with a purpose. The Czech league for all the bad rap it gets, is a pretty darn good club and no one in that league (among NHL players) came close to putting up the numbers Jagr put up in that league. He finished with 59 Pts in 34 games for a PPG of 1.74.

That league was the second best league in Europe this year (behind the KHL), and it was better than the Swedish Elite league since that league didn't allow NHL players to play in it. The rinks are NHL sized and he pretty much put up historical numbers.

In fact back in 2004-05, when he went to play in the Czech League, he had 27 Pts in 17 games which is a PPG of 1.65. We all know what kind of season he had the following year in the NHL (123 Pts in 82 games). Sure he was 6 years younger, but he was also heavier and slower then than he is now.

Heck even TSN.ca used the point projection tool. 74% of the points scored in the Czech League translate to points in the NHL. A PPG of 1.74 translates to 1.29 PPG in the NHL.

That would project him to be a much better player than PPG. I think for one, the powerplay in Dallas will be vastly improved and Jagr (regardless of his age) will remain dangerous on the man advantage.

Don't forget, before Jagr's injury last season, he had 41 Pts in his first 40 games. This was despite coming off 3 years in a slower league with larger ice surfaces and this despite taking a good 10 games to get his timing back. He was also 20 lbs heavier last season.

I think having Selanne in the same division as him will be a huge motivator for Jagr to try and outplay him.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but in a shorter season it might be easier to maintain a PPG pace.
i guess we'll see how euro league production translates to nhl production this year, but some anomalies still exist... i'd still rather have benn (barely ppg in german league) than brunner (rocked the swiss league)... that said, i'm optimistic jagr brings that czech league production to dallas pretty effectively.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:46 AM
BigG44

Dallas is likely going to roll 4, especially with such a tight schedule. The maneuvering they've made this offseason actually means Gully has a line I believe he'll trust.

I'm not the biggest Fiddler and Nystrom fan out there, but I think Gully will use them. They will not however (or I should please, please for the love of God) play against the other team's top line. They just weren't effective in that role last year.

17 minutes sounds about right for Jagr. He'll get a heavy dose of PP time, but probably no time on the PK. Like I said, at ES, I think you could see time spread fairly evenly between 4 lines.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:49 AM
ginblossoms

Quote:
Training camp hasn't even started. There is still plenty of time to decide on these things. I read an article that said that in order for Dallas to be successful this season, they will have to rely heavily on their top 3 lines and not really roll out 4 lines. You can expect anywhere between 18-21 minutes a game for Jagr depending on how his body reacts to it and how well he plays. You don't want him to burn out early either. Sure he's been playing in an easier league for the first 4 months, but the thing is he was still playing and playing 25-26 minutes a game. You don't want risk him being tired and injured for the playoffs.
for me, 17 minutes on a top line is preferable and doable... give jagr his regular pp1 duty and double-shift for jagr at even strength throughout the game for a few shifts (with a vincour/wandell/nystrom-type and in defensive/neutral-zone starts)

Old
01-12-2013, 10:57 AM
ginblossoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Dallas is likely going to roll 4, especially with such a tight schedule. The maneuvering they've made this offseason actually means Gully has a line I believe he'll trust.

I'm not the biggest Fiddler and Nystrom fan out there, but I think Gully will use them. They will not however (or I should please, please for the love of God) play against the other team's top line. They just weren't effective in that role last year.

17 minutes sounds about right for Jagr. He'll get a heavy dose of PP time, but probably no time on the PK. Like I said, at ES, I think you could see time spread fairly evenly between 4 lines.
it's funny. i see fans of all teams, at some time or another, mention the "rolling 4 lines" bit year after year. but to my recollection, it rarely seems to happen. eventually, the top line gets the lion's share, the second a bit less, the third maybe 13-15 min or so, and the fourth less than 10.

i do trust this 4th line more. kinda have to as it really is just last year's 3rd line. and so could handle more minutes.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:03 AM
BigG44

Quote:
it's funny. i see fans of all teams, at some time or another, mention the "rolling 4 lines" bit year after year. but to my recollection, it rarely seems to happen. eventually, the top line gets the lion's share, the second a bit less, the third maybe 13-15 min or so, and the fourth less than 10.

i do trust this 4th line more. kinda have to as it really is just last year's 3rd line. and so could handle more minutes.
I agree more often than not that statement is total BS.

It's something though that Gully preached last year, but I get the feeling he didn't deliver because he wasn't a big fan of the 4th line last year.

Your last sentence, and the point I previously made, is why I'm at least betting more often than not those 4th liners could get somewhat decent minutes.

Rolling 4 lines to me though doesn't mean it's going to be even. I still expect the top forwards to play 17 to 20 minutes. That's just the nature of the game.

I could be totally off though. Gulutzan could prove to be like most other coaches that when the pressure is own, they can't find themselves pulling the trigger on a 4th line when it's so tempting to throw out Benn or Roy's line. It happens, but this year more than any other year because of the schedule you'd think he'd try and use them at least a reasonable amount of time.