HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 06:09 AM
ontohockey

vCash: 500
I suppose we are talking about 2 different things.

I agree that skating doesn't seem to be his best strength, but I don't think he is slow in getting from point A to B at all.

+ and - seems to be more of an issue. His line didn't score 2 goals. They GOT SCORED both goals and lost 2:0.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:29 AM
ontohockey

For what is worth, these were the line-ups (center in the middle):

Korostelev - Rajic - Alberga
Jordan - Zeppieri - Charmer (later switched to Wiseman)
Fellows - Lawrence - Wiseman (later switched to Charmer)
Latina - Petrucci – Avidan

Bonsteel – Stephens – Robinson
Carbonara – Strome - Mucci
Joynt – Marner – Webb
Iacobucci – Smith – Dunda

Old
01-09-2013, 07:44 AM
wingman22

Stars Last Night.

Goaltending: Timpano and Helvig

Defense

Defarias - best D on the ice, rushed the puck more then he has.
Cho - Steady and poised
Wilkie - physical and consistent

Offense

Rajic - played complete two way game
Stephens - line had most chances, created space for wingers.
Strome - makes everyone else look better

Old
01-09-2013, 08:28 AM
HatTrick97

Strome made everything happen for his linemates...if he didn't play it's a 0-0 outcome. I think you are looking for dazzle when you should be looking at the things all these kids do to make hockey plays happen.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

Man Korotselev has an absolute laser. Couple wristers last night that just exploded off of his stick.

Nobody really impressed me during the game. Goalies looked good, that's about it. Kind of hard for a lot of these guys to shine too, being that it likely was their first time playing with 20 man rosters. Not a lot of icetime. Marner made some good plays, one filthy backhand sauce, and he missed up high on a breakaway (broke away from the defender quick though, great breakaway speed), but otherwise didn't really stick out.

Neither Stephens or Strome stood out to me. Thought Wilkie and Saban played well, though Saban made one brutal giveaway.

Pretty boring game overall

Old
01-09-2013, 08:42 AM
HatTrick97

I agree with your assessment on Defarias and Cho.

Defarias - Love his skating ability, but I think he needs to be smarter and pick his spots more carefully; as he also turns the puck over too often.

Cho - This kid is starting to show his talents. Skates well, takes care of the puck and moves it well, and is also physical (though not necessairly punishing).

All the forwards were more or less generic; worked hard but failed to create real opportunities (except for Strome and Korostelev).

Old
01-09-2013, 08:44 AM
skating101

I was a little disappointed in the lack of goals but the strong defensive play by Defarias, Cho, Hunter, Willkes etc… and backed by the solid goaltending by Timpano, Helvig and Lafontaine 2 0 is what you get.

Sometimes too much emphasis on scoring it’s a case of glass being half empty or half full.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
If Strome goes 8-10, the GM should be fired.

Saw the Prospects game, and he didnt wake up until the end of the 2nd period. He should have not played, as it was clear that he was exposed. Nice hands, but unfortunately working from the half wall in, and on the PP, isnt going to do it at the next level. He was 3rd best player on his line tonight- Mucci and Carbonara played better. His skating is below average for a playmaker.

I have nothing against the kid, but I cant see what everybody is fussing about. First two periods, I think he touched the puck 3 times.

Today's game was a disaster. Nobody excelled . Chippy, sloppy hockey. Most of the first 2 rounds of selections will come from the US kids, or OMHA or Alliance, and definitely not from the GTHL.

Only kid on the ice that showed signs of being able to play in the O was the Russian- Korostelev.

Stephens made one dangle, but that was it, he was invisible.
Really. Strome got helpers on both goals. The first was his good hard shot, the second I could have scored with that pass.
Stephens and Robinson controlled and dominated when they were out, just couldn't score.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
If Strome goes 8-10, the GM should be fired.
Even with the American kids, Strome could go as early as 6, all things being equal no one in Ontario should be picked before Matt Spencer. If I was an OHL gm and I had to pick between Konecny and Strome, It would be easy for me to decide. Id take Strome. I think in there first year in the OHL Strome gets more points than Konecny. I do not think Konecny will do as well as others imagine him doing. I can see him getting intimidated unfortunately. He doesnt appear to be growing height wise anymore and he really needs to gain weight. He is smaller than both Mcdavid and Hosang in weight and height compared to last year.

I know stats dont tell the whole story but Strome has 153 points in 59 games. He will break 200 this year. Thats pretty special. His point per game production is higher than anyone in Ontario. He is subtle is his dominance, like a wolf dressed in sheep clothing.

I thought Dal Colle's feet might hold him back, Dal Colle is so smart he is where the puck is and anticipates extremely well. Do either of Dal Colle or Strome have breakaway speed? No, but good luck finding any other small hole in there game.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 01-09-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Even with the American kids, Strome could go as early as 6, all things being equal no one in Ontario should be picked before Matt Spencer. If I was an OHL gm and I had to pick between Konecny and Strome, It would be easy for me to decide. Id take Strome. I think in there first year in the OHL Strome gets more points than Konecny. I do not think Konecny will do as well as others imagine him doing. I can see him getting intimidated unfortunately. He doesnt appear to be growing height wise anymore and he really needs to gain weight. He is smaller than both Mcdavid and Hosang in weight and height compared to last year.

I know stats dont tell the whole story but Strome has 153 points in 59 games. He will break 200 this year. Thats pretty special. His point per game production is higher than anyone in Ontario. He is subtle is his dominance, like a wolf dressed in sheep clothing.

I thought Dal Colle's feet might hold him back, Dal Colle is so smart he is where the puck is and anticipates extremely well. Do either of Dal Colle or Strome have breakaway speed? No, but good luck finding any other small hole in there game.
Right on ML979. I also loved MDC's game and see a lot of him in Strome. I was of the belief in the last draft that MDC was the safest pick after McDavid.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
Man Korotselev has an absolute laser. Couple wristers last night that just exploded off of his stick.

Nobody really impressed me during the game. Goalies looked good, that's about it. Kind of hard for a lot of these guys to shine too, being that it likely was their first time playing with 20 man rosters. Not a lot of icetime. Marner made some good plays, one filthy backhand sauce, and he missed up high on a breakaway (broke away from the defender quick though, great breakaway speed), but otherwise didn't really stick out.

Neither Stephens or Strome stood out to me. Thought Wilkie and Saban played well, though Saban made one brutal giveaway.

Pretty boring game overall
I thought it was a great game for an all-star game. Would you prefer a 12-10 game? The boys came to play and gave it their best. Marner played a great game. I thought the hi-lite of the game was the penalty kill of his with Robinson that led to his missed breakaway.
I think Stephens and Strome both showed that they were high-end players.
I guess everybody sees things differently.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
ontohockey

Strome basically created those 2 goals. Talking about making line mates look good. Pretty special.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:24 PM
lovethegame
Rookie User

honest question for mapleleaf979....how do you get those stats?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:28 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethegame View Post
They're not out there publicly but if you know who to ask they are available.
If you want confirmation on his statline, look no further than this recent Toronto Star article.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:35 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethegame View Post
Inside sources. The GTHL does not publicly broadcast stats, this makes no sense in my opinion.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
They're not out there publicly but if you know who to ask they are available.
If you want confirmation on his statline, look no further than this recent Toronto Star article.
He's explosive and one of the best skaters in the draft? Was Cherry confusing Strome with Stephens?

Old
01-10-2013, 04:55 PM
chewerjones

Spoke to some scouts and GMs after the game and 2 things were confirmed:

1) All the top players in the OHL draft are in the Alliance, OMHA or USA.
2) No one on the ice at the Prospects game would be able to COMPETE in the OHL next year , except for maybe Korostolev.

Sorry guys, no vested interest in any kid, just an independent fan.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Stars Last Night.

Goaltending: Timpano and Helvig

Defense

Defarias - best D on the ice, rushed the puck more then he has.
Cho - Steady and poised
Wilkie - physical and consistent

Offense

Rajic - played complete two way game
Stephens - line had most chances, created space for wingers.
Strome - makes everyone else look better
I think you might be a Marlie fan? LOL

Old
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Daneurism

Who are the guys in OMHA who are potential top two round picks? I've seen a list of notable names but that isn't telling much.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Garyboy

You gotta appreciate the way the Chew-Dawg lays down the law.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Who are the guys in OMHA who are potential top two round picks? I've seen a list of notable names but that isn't telling much.
Spencer, Henley, Mackenzie, Craevich.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

2) No one on the ice at the Prospects game would be able to COMPETE in the OHL next year , except for maybe Korostolev.

1)Its not news the GTHL isnt like last year and it will not be represented in the first round like in previous years.

2) That statement is wrong and nowhere near accurate. The people u talked too, pulled a fast one on u or your telling a tale. Strome, Stephens will be in the OHL next year, Im aware you dont like either, but saying they are not in the OHL next year is completely false. Korostelev too I agree. Saban, Clapham and Wilkie all have a Very GOOD shot at being in the OHL next year.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
skating101

Quote:

Disagree Korostelev should have been lighting it up if he is ready to make the jump and compete as no one else on the ice is

Old
01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Spencer, Henley, Petawabano, Mckenzie, Capobianco, Craivech, Barwell, McGlynn, Baird, Walters, Davies, McFadden

Old
01-10-2013, 06:05 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
You gotta appreciate the way the Chew-Dawg lays down the law.
I said it to stir the pot with my buddy Mapleleaf979. LOL

Players didnt have time to practice with each other, so it was a rusty game, but I thought there would have been more individual efforts. Only guys to show some signs of individualism was Marner and Korosolev.

2 years ago, Laughton and Wilson fought. Last year there were end to end rushes.

This year, very boring.

Strome, Stephens, Korostolev will be in the OHL next year, but I said COMPETE. They may be like Cornell, or Middleton, or past guys like Teskey, or Varga, or Vlajkov.

I have nothing against Stephens or Strome, and Mapleleaf979 can attest, that last year I loved Bennett and Mckeown from the start of the year and felt that they would be top 5 picks, and so far they are showing that. But this year I cant see it in any GTHL player.

Korostolev impressed me more in the earlier part of the year before his injury, but not since. But I realized he had a wrist/forearm brace/bandage on at the prospects game and the flexibility and strength may still not be there.

With the Marlies, I just dont see them like the Marlies of last year. Stephens has the speed, but not the focus or strength, and Strome has the hands and vision but not the speed to compete.

I hope I am wrong, but in no way is it a slag at the boys in the GTHL. We may just have a weak loop. The boys in the OMHA and Alliance are way above the GTHL.

Closed Thread